TV.com's Top 100 Everything of 2011, Vol. 8: Items 30-21

Top 10 lists are very popular right now. Top 20 lists are also getting their due. But where's the love for Top 30 lists? Top 30 lists are the new Top 20 lists, which are the new Top 10 lists, which will be defunct by springtime. So let's hear it for the Top 30 of our Top 100 Everything of 2011, which will soon be the new Top 10. Styles and trends are so hard to keep up with!

We'll be posting 10 items each weekday through December 30, so check back often to see what made the cut!

30. Saturday Night Live still knows how to make the most of some hosts

This year brought some great hosts to the stage of NBC's long-running sketch show. Zach Galifianakis, Justin Timberlake, Melissa McCarthy, Amy Poehler, Tina Fey, Emma Stone, and Jimmy Fallon were all great and had excellent material to work with.

29. Castle knocks us out

Bitter, meet sweet. The Season 3 finale, "Knockout," ended with a cliffhanger and major step forward for the Castle/Beckett love connection. Hearing Castle say "I love you" with such gravitas (thank you, Nathan Fillion!) while hovering over Beckett, who'd just been shot, made the show's summer hiatus particularly rough.

28. John Reese and his guns!

Person of Interest may be about a supercomputer giving two guys hints so they can save the world from itself, but the show's characters are the reason we tune in every week. And one of our favorites is John Reese and his kickass arsenal of high-powered weaponry. Grenade launchers, scoped assault rifles, snipers, and reliable pistols look fantastic in the hands of New York's finest vigilante madman.

27. Oprah's final goodbye (sort of)

The Queen of All Media stepped down from her insanely successful daytime talk show this year, ending the most impressive reign in daytime television history. Even though we didn't get a free car just for watching, we got something more valuable: proof that Tom Cruise is an alien. Uh, we mean sage advice. Yeah, advice.

26. Khal Drogo gets fired up

Note to self: Do not mess with Khal Drogo's girl. After learning of a plot to poison his dainty Khaleesi, the Dothraki chief got mad. Like, really mad. Like, "I'm gonna pillage the mainland and rape some broads and enslave some kids and shave funny shapes into their pets' fur" kind of mad. Heck, this entry isn't just about this one speech, it's about Khal Drogo in general. Whether he was pouring hot gold over people's heads or ripping tongues out of people's throats, Drogo was BAD. ASS.

25. The Bennetts of Justified

Mags, Dickie, Coover, and Doyle were four rednecks you didn't want to drink moonshine with. Season 2's bad guys were a handful for Raylan Givens and a huge part of the show's success, especially mama Mags. Margo Martindale's performance proved Emmy worthy, and Jeremy Davies shined as limp Dickie. It looks like Justified will reset its bad guys in Season 3, and they have huge overalls to fill.

24. Parks and Recreation loves love

NBC's most delightfully warm-and-fuzzy-but-not-overly-sappy comedy did an excellent job of balancing its own brand of humor with good old-fashioned <3 <3 <3 romance <3 <3 <3 this year. We're still smiling over April and Andy's surprise (and perfectly on-point) wedding in "Fancy Party," and Leslie and Ben's relationship has been all kinds of feel-good sweet--like when Pam and Jim were awesome, but BETTER.

23. Sons of Anarchy's skidmarks

In Season 4, FX's biker drama entered a new level of intensity and pacing that few single seasons of television acheive. Every episode moved at the speed of a turbo crotch rocket, and more stuff went down before each episode's opening credits than happens over a whole season of other shows. Though the finale broke down slightly, showrunner Kurt Sutter pushed things harder than anyone else this year, on and off Twitter.

22. It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia reveals Mac's REAL name

A strong season of FX's comedy has yielded great contributions from every cast member, but Rob McElhenney went above and beyond the call of duty by shoving donuts into his mouth until he packed on 50 pounds to become Fat Mac. The funniest moment of all came during Season 7's two-part finale, when the gang attended their high-school reunion and Mac donned a nametag that bore his real name.

21. Supernatural's "The French Mistake"

The CW sci-fi show is no stranger to poking fun at its genre, its fans, or itself. But this episode, in which Sam and Dean were transported to a reality where they starred on a show called Supernatural, was riotous and a treat for hardcore fans. Mostly it showed us that the crew behind the show pride themselves on their fearlessness and absence of shame, both of which are required to pull of something as enjoyable as this ultra-meta self-spoof.

The Archive:

12/19/2011: TV.com's Top 100 Everything of 2011, Vol. 1 (100-91)

12/20/2011: TV.com's Top 100 Everything of 2011, Vol. 2 (90-81)

12/21/2011: TV.com's Top 100 Everything of 2011, Vol. 3 (80-71)

12/22/2011: TV.com's Top 100 Everything of 2011, Vol. 4 (70-61)

12/22/2011: TV.com's Top 100 Everything of 2011, Vol. 5 (60-51)

12/22/2011: TV.com's Top 100 Everything of 2011, Vol. 6 (50-41)

12/22/2011: TV.com's Top 100 Everything of 2011, Vol. 7 (40-31)

Castle, game of Thrones and Supernatural... absolutely!
Yes yes yes yes yes to SPN! Best episode in a season full of amazing episodes. Abed would be so proud of their meta-ness.
Damn that John Reese and his arsenal! I practically melt every time that man pulls out a grenade launcher and whispers something with his perfect distribution of grey speckles in his military cut hair. Seriously...Johnny got guns...and they're both hot and AWESOME!

Caskett lovers everywhere were on the edge of their seat during that moment when the heart stopped and you wondered if Beckett would actually end up in a casket..and I aint talking bout the ship. Good times. That show does whismy and gut wrenching perfectly.
Khal Drogo gets fired up and this scene like many others in the series gave me chills! Every thing about this show is awesome!

Supernatural's "The French Mistake" was just pure Supernatural Bliss!
29, 28, and 26 were my favorites.
that Supernatural episode was awesome! when they do funny it always works (except Becky-yuck). everyone check out the episode "Yellow Fever" from season 4 which is my fave.
Yellow Fever's best line is Dean's scream like a school girl and then "That was scary." in regards to the cat in the locker.
I have zero clue what a 'fringier fan' of Supernatural is. Could it be a fan who loves the show but who doesn't feel the need to join in the internet fan base to endlessly pore over every inch of it? Internet fans of most shows are drowning in arrogance, I find. They are not the only fans. And, yes - to my surprise, I adored French Mistake. If that bars me from hanging out with the cool kids, so be it. LOL.
A fringier fan is a term used on a Gaia forum to describe the out-there fanbases of Supernatural. The ones who firmly believe Jared and Jensen are secret lovers and that their wives are beards. Or the shippers who believe that Dean and Sam being lovers is not only canon but was the original intent of the writers. Or the Misha-Wives, who pray at the alter of his bizarreness and cried foul when Castiel was killed off the show, yet cared not when Bobby died. The Cas fans, the season four bandwagon jumpers who base the merit of the episode solely on whether Castiel was in the episode. I've actually seen that, comments like "This episode would have been better if Cas was in it, writers bring him back nao!!!oneone1!" The people who care more for fandom and shipping than the actual show itself, the fans the writers made "The French Mistake" for. That one, minority audience, while people who were waiting with bated breath for season six to get GOOD, where left disappointed, as there was no plot or story arc merit to the episode. It's not arrogance that leads to that categorization, it's just simple logic. People who don't believe Ted Casablanca when he fans the flames of Jensen and Jared being lovers on his E! blog don't associate with the people who do believe him. And the same for every other fan, be they diehards, season four noobs, wincest shippers or any other shippers. Birds of a feather and all that. It doesn't make a person less of a fan to fall into the minority categories or J2 tinhatters or beard-believers but it definitely makes them "fringy".
More +
I agree with the disagreeing with the other dude, minus the bad feelings towards internet fans. The French Mistake was hilarious. Come on - they "ganked" Misha. Too funny! (although less funny in retrospect after Cas's leviathan explosion)
People need to make their peace with the fact that not everyone thinks like they do. Yes Sons of Anarchy may be in you top 10 but on everyone watches SoA and not everyone puts it in their top ten. This is supposed to be an aggregated list. People need to stop forgetting that. Try and remember that Dr. Who has brought out some awesome telly, has some seriously hardcore fans, and has never made this list(to my most recent knowledge).

In short, people need to chill.
Supernatural!!
To the uber fringe fans of the show, I'm sorry. I am a fan of Supernatural, however, the word French should've been dropped from that title. It was the worst episode in my opinion. Kripke had already poked fun at the show twice while he was running the show. The third time? It was just a mistake.

I totally agree with Castle and Person Of Interest. Excellent shows, both of them.
SOA should be top 5 if not number 1,, Supernatural is awesome, Game of Thrones okay, the rest I do not watch
Sorry, but this Castle moment should be in the top 20. Such a powerful scene and it has been what viewers have wanted for ages (Castle to say I love you, not Kate to get shot).

But top 30 is still amazing. Keep up the good work Castle.
Supernatural ! Awesome.
Person of interest is tops for me on this part of the list.

Loved everything on this portion of the list BUT the Supernatural episode, "The French Mistake". As a hardcore fan of the show, it was, by far, the worst episode of season six and indeed, the worst of the entire series. Meta, yes. Funny in places, kinda, but overall, just a useless, self-pandering episode that only pleased the fringier fans of the Supernatural base.
"The French Mistake" wasn't the best episode of season six, but neither was it the worst. I am proud to be a 'fringier' fan of Supernatural.

Does that make me less of a fan??
Okay, Crazy, calm down. Have some dip. I never said anything about liking the episode meaning it made you less of a fan. You read into that all by yourself. But if you did like it, it makes you one of fringier fans. Because the only people I know who actually enjoyed it are the J2/wincest shippers and the psychotic roving bands of Misha Collins fans. And the people who hated it, myself included, are the people who enjoy the show for the show, and think that by doing the episode, it detracted from the overall theme of Supernatural. "The Monster at the End of This Book" and "The Real Ghostbusters" served a purpose to the actual plot of the show, furthering the storyline. "The French Mistake" did none of that, as it was a self-contained episode of pure nonsense. So no, you're not less of a fan for liking it. Not at all. Just fringy.
Oh geez - get over yourself. What a display of utter arrogance. I loved FM and I don't count myself in either group. I'm in your last group - those who enjoy the show for the show. That doesn't mean - unlike you apparently - that I believe my opinion of it is the only one available and that anyone not sharing my opinion is somehow bringing the show down.
I loved FM and and I am not a fringe fan either. I have watched SPN from the first episode and I love every episode of SPN because I get to see Jared and Jensen and their awesone acting every week. It's as simple as that for me. I do have some really favorite episodes (like Yellow Fever, for ex). It was really great to see SPN on this list and get some loving, because it is usually excluded. It should have been mentioned that SPN was the FIRST fan favorite TV Guide cover.
It's good to know we're on a first name basis already :-)

While I have some dip, I agree the episode didn't add any value as far as the plot of season six was concerned, but it did prove that the show doesn't take itself too seriously.

The episode has a strong enough rating on imdb as well as right here on tv.com to suggest that the faction (or fraction) of fans you represent is a negligible one.

I will ignore your supposition that I am a psychotic raving lunatic and a 'wincest shipper' (whatever the hell that is, I'll have to google it). I have no idea what a 'fringy' fan is either. I was merely quoting you.

So let's just calmly agree to disagree, Lefty.
Finally! Thanks for clearing that up :-)

My ignorance about the fringiness of fans notwithstanding, your horse is clearly higher than mine. It is up to enlightened individuals like yourself to spread your clearly compelling knowledge of wincest and shippers and canons and tinhatters and Misha wives (wtf??) to the rest of the world.

Apparently you spend way more time on the internet than I do and I am clearly unfamiliar with half the lingo being used out there. So I will continue to watch Supernatural as just a fan (apparently not as a fringy one since I now know what that means) and ignore people who waste their time coming up with terms like fringy (and the people who use them).

"Fringe' fans (the show) might be seriously insulted if this gets out :-P
Wow... You need some more dip. While I go grab that for you, scroll up, because I replied to someone else about what "fringy" means, since apparently, you don't know what that means either. Here, climb down off your high horse and check this out: "Adjective:

Not part of the mainstream; unconventional, peripheral, or extreme: "fringe theater"."
Are we still on this? Allrighty then, let's break this down.

Congratulations! Your knowledge of 'wincest' has officially made you a bigger Supernatural fan than I am.

While a mere admirer of quality television like myself is content to watch the show and enjoy it for what it is, 'hardcore' (and apparently privileged) fans such as yourself have the added advantage of possessing knowledge nobody gives a crap about.

If your unending wisdom about 'wincest' enhances your experience of watching the show, then I concede. You are definitely a bigger fan of the show than I am.

And since we're on the subject of my ignorance, kindly explain what 'fringy' means. I honestly don't know.
How can you ignore something I never stated? Again, reading into things I didn't write, Crazy... You have to stop doing that. All you have to do is visit Tumblr, Twitter or Gaia to see how vocal and let's face it, crazy, most of the fringy fans are when it comes to SPN, where as the less vocal majority keeps out of it, because we're just too old and don't care all that much, as long as we get our show, and it's 44 minutes plus commercials of solid acting and writing. But I will say, if you're such the fan you claim to be, and a fringy one at that, the idea that you have to Google wincest -even though the SPN has made references to it a couple times- makes me doubt your claims of fandom. Hmmm...
Ok well... French Mistake wasn't my fave ep by far but glad to see Supernatural there. Having said that, I'm still stuck on what happened with yesterday's list. No way any of these things is better than the Breaking Bad with Walt in the basement. No... freaking... way!!!!
The French Mistake was so good. Might be one of the best Supernatural has done. Can we ever have dreamed up a better name for Mac on Sunny? Doubt it.
Castle finale was great and Nathan Fillion was brilliant in the episode. Loved it.

Also the Game of Thrones clip was great. Although I loved the scene where he killed Visery even more.

And you've got to love Reese and his coolness, both weapon and without.
Loves that Games of Thrones clip. Pouring that melted gold over Viserys head to finally give him his crown was one of my favorite moments in the show. Hopefully one of the other awful characters (*cough* Jofffrey *cough*) will meet an awesome death next season.

And "The French Mistake" is what you choose for Supernatural. I thought the episode was funny, but a bit lacking because we've seen this before with the Carver Edlund books. I felt like it was just a rehashing of old ideas because they really needed to fill an episode. But I did love Eric Kripke being gunned down to death. What other show creator is cool enough to die in an episode of his own show?
26. Khal Drago is hot, and that scene was ever hotter. 24. P & R's romances were GREAT this year! I so heart Ben & Leslie, and April & Andy's wedding was awesome too! What makes Ben & Leslie so great is that they are just 2 genuinely nice characters, the kind of people you would want to be friends with. After Pam & Jim got married, they got really mean and I never really like that. Bleslie's romance definitely gives me something to look forward to in 2012. 23. SoA was also great this year. It really was a rollercoaster of a ride this go-around. 22. We find out Mac's real name. LOL I couldn't stop laughing when I saw this. Heck, I'm giggling now!
Reese and his guns are really cool.

Khal Drogo is scary, crazy, and all-out awesome. I hated it when he got killed off.

Justified and the Bennetts were great in season 2; hope season 3 is just as good, if not better.

Hehe @ Ronald McDonald. It wasn't until that scene that I realized I'd never known Mac's name.

I haven't seen The French Mistake yet, but I will soon enough. Sounds fun.
I love Person of Interest, it is definitely the Must See Tv this season. I have gotten so many friends and family hooked on this show over the holidays. I was scared when I thought Carter was killed but the shocker was Carter seeing Reese and Fitch what's next?
I decided to stop watching after the fall finale of Caviezel being shot. I kind of want to like this show, but the only person of interest to me is Emerson as Finch. I find the show to be unoriginal due to similar shows like The Equalizer, performances somewhat wooden, and stories predictable and lacking any real cleverness. The end result is mostly just to shoot someone. Speaking of predictable, that computer program determining who is at risk, while possibly being the most original thing about this, is inexplicably ridiculous.

There was a seed of a good idea in here somewhere, but it has not grown or developed into anything special.
I think Person Of Interest is one of the best shows of 2011. The performances appear to be wooden because the characters demand a certain woodenness. Not all protagonists with a mysterious past need to be like James Bond! Neither is a reclusive billionaire expected to be flamboyant. What did you expect?

Watch the last five minutes of "Cura Te Ipsum". Jim Caviezel was freakin' awesome in that scene (where he has to decide whether to let the guy live or die). It's that woodenness which made the scene brilliant. The machine (aka the computer program) idea is an original one. It may be nudging the realms of possibility but in no way is the idea a ridiculous one.

The action genre on television is a dying one. With shows like Human Target getting canceled, I was glad to watch this show every week, and I can't wait for the next episode!
Describing Caviezel's or Emerson's performances as "wooden" is ridiculous at best. They aren't strung out or drunk for their performances. They are drawing us into their world and making us care about them personally by being subtle and complex between the gunfire and explosions. Use "wooden" to describe the performances of Keanu Reeves and Hayden Christensen but not Caviezel and Emerson.

I think Akyriel probably works at the government facility where they are programming the real-life version of Finch's machine, so they must say that the idea is ridiculous!

Those last 5 minutes of "Cura Te Ipsum" should win Caviezel an Emmy for best actor and at least a nod for a guest star performance for Adam Rothenberg, who play Andrew Benton.
It's not an awful show, it just does not grab me. Like I said, there's something in there that's fine for what it is, but stilll not enough to keep me caring.

Human Target's first season was very good, but they ruined it the second season.

If not already, watch Nikita. Best action show on now.
I've yet to watch Nikita but I've heard good things about it. I'll give it a shot when I get time :-)
No TVD yet? Hope it's coming...
I don't know if it's too late to mention this but Smallville's series finale ending with the disappointing cape. Ugh! 10 seasons and all we get is the cape!
The French Mistake was fantastic, I thought it would've been higher up the list too.

Castle's season 3 cliffhanger was fantastic too.

Khal Drogo is immence, shame he got killed off, but at least it led to that AWSOME scene with the dragons, you know, that one where nobody notices the dragons!
loved the french mistake, especially the death of eric kripke very funny and misha too! :)
I would've put "The French Mistake" higher on the list. that episode was one of the best Supernatural episodes ever! I'm glad it's on the list, though. :)
Person Of Interest, Castle and Supernatural were awesome! DELETE: are awesome! The guns on POI are amazing and The French Mistake was a dream come true!
Now we're getting somewhere with this list. French Mistake- LOVE! When a season finale ends and I'm really pissed off, then it was spectacular- Castle. Love, love, love Kal Drogo and Denaerys(sp?)! Justified was freaking awesome, as usual. Can;t wait for season 3.
Castle is just perfect
- "The French Mistake" was hilarious! It's good to see Supernatural finally get some recognition for its awesomeness.

- The Bennetts (especially Mags) made season 2 of Justified one of the best ever.

- John Reese is badasss!!
good to see my 2 fav shows make it to the 20's...Sons of Anarchy had the best season on par with Breaking Bad; even the finale which some critics have pointed out lacked the final punch was awesome as it paved the way for hopefully even better season ahead. Its always sunny is the best comedy show out there with Archer and Ronald McDonald just was too good.
Oprah didn't leave; she just finally realized that one single show couldn't hold her huge ego so she created an entire channel for her followers.
*applause*
I agree on the French Mistake. That was one of my favorite episodes of this year of all the shows I watch.
parks and rec is higher on the list than breaking bad's crawl space? 8-| whatever man
Although I love Leslie and Ben there's no way they're better than Jim and Pam. Falling for your best friend is a story more relatable than falling for your boss plus the build-up of their romance was both longer and better so when they finally did get together the pay-off was more heart-melting than Ben and Leslie.
Personally, I prefer Ben and Leslie to Jim and Pam. Even so, I find comparisons between the two relationships rather pointless and therefore wish that the TV.com writers hadn't felt compelled to place them in opposition. What does stating one is "better" than the other actually accomplish? Is it really so hard to just say that they are both great couples and leave it at that?
I believe it is because they are similar television shows.
Oh, I absolutely understand why the comparisons are made and think they are (for the most part) valid. My point is simply that I fail to see what purpose is served by placing one above the other when they both have their merits. Such is the way of the internet, I guess, where stating things like "They are each good in their own way" is much less fun than continuously debating a question that ultimately has no right answer.
I loved The French Mistake, it may be my favourite episode of Supernatural ever. 'Why would people want to watch us?' 'Apparently not many people do.'

I also adore Castle, and that finale was a spectacular one, and made the summer without Castle an incredibly painful one.