TV.com's Weekly Podcast: Totally Tubular! Episode 006 (AUDIO)

Boo! (Because Halloween. Yesterday, when we taped this.) Hey guys, we are back for another TV conversation! This week the lovely and talented Lily Sparks joins in via Skype for a fun discussion of the week in television. Press play below (or subscribe on iTunes!) to hear our scintillating thoughts on the following hot topics:

... TV.com commenter shout-outs! (02:45)

... Lily describes the interdimensional faerie night club in which she lives! (05:08)

... Brilliant-but-canceled shows! Lily remembers Cupid! (06:57)

... Is Revolution a victim of expectation? (10:55)

... This week's episode of Revenge! (14:14)

... This week's episode of Once Upon a Time! (17:53)

... This week's episode of American Horror Story: Asylum! [SPOILERS] (20:45)

... This week's episode of The Walking Dead! (25:05)

... Last week's episode of The Vampire Diaries! (26:25)

... Plus more! [SPOILERS ABOUND]

Hey! Is there anything YOU want us to chat about next week? Please leave any topics or suggestions in the comments below!

PREVIOUSLY...

Totally Tubular! Podcast 005 – October 24, 2012
Totally Tubular! Podcast 004 – October 17, 2012
Totally Tubular! Podcast 003 – October 10, 2012
Totally Tubular! Podcast 002 – October 6, 2012
Totally Tubular! Podcast 001 – September 28, 2012

Hi guys these podcasts are realy fun, i enjoy them very much, although i have to rush and watch all the shows you talk about before listening to them to avoid being spoiled.

Anyway i wanted to ask you if you're going to do the article about the shows title sequences like you did last season.

(excuse my english, i'm from argentina and right now is very late and i'm kinda falling asleep)
Hey guys! I love the podcast and I'm waiting for the new episode. Tks for your great work!
Hey guys, long time listener, first time commeneter (I know that's not true, but I've always wanted to say it). These Podcasts have really become a highlight of my TV.com week, and Lily was a hilariously welcome presence to this segments proceedings.

Now for my request (no, not "It's Raining Men"). I was hoping you guys could shed some light on your next Podcast about the inner workings involved in the FTW/WTF articles. Do all the writers on the site get together via Skype and dish on what should be included? Is it done by voting? Through a committee? Does everybody on the team get to make a selection? Or does one hand rule with an iron fist? (I'm looking at you Tim.) Who makes the final call on what stays and goes?

I ask because this weeks FTW/WTF had quite a contentious and polarizing remark to say about New Girl. Everybody who watched the episode couldn't believe someone on your staff found Nick accidentally punching Jess "straight-up troubling". Not only was it hilarious, but in the context in which it was presented, it was completely understandable. I don't know if you guys are aware, but you got your asses handed to you in the comments. It wasn't pretty. And what's more intriguing is the fact that MaryAnne had NOTHING to say about it in her review of the episode.

I don't want you to name names. I just want to get a peek inside the FTW/WTF process.

Thanks!

I completely agree about the New Girl punch
WELL I WANT NAMES (Always wanted to say that)
Two more brilliant but canceled:

Better off Ted

Andy Richter Controls the Universe
I think it's not smart to review a show according to expectations. Sure that can be mentioned at some point, but once the show establishes a style of its own, it's silly to keep wishing it to become what we wanted it to be. It's like dating a girl and measuring her up to your perfect dead wife, not the healthiest relationship, I'm sure. Besides, viewers may have different expectations, and then the review won't be of any use for those who don't share the reviewer's expectations.
I wanna hear about Tim's thoughts on Price's latest Quick Question post about which network is the best.
Thanks for the mention and thanks for answering my question, Price! I suggest more discussion of Veronica Mars in the podcast next time! :)
I really appreciate what you guys are doing here and I know you have certain shows that you focus on for other aspects of your job, I just wish you would diversify on the shows you talk about. I watch a ton of tv. Too much actually but on this episode I only moderately cared about and watch two shows you talked about. I love The Walking Dead and Revolution is alright. It occupied 5 minutes of the podcast. I watch like a dozen different shows a night and you miss them all. I know not everything is going to appeal to me but it is crazy that you talk about the handful of shows I don't watch.
Can you guys talk about Community next week? I know Tim is a huge fan and I heard a rumor that this would be their last season! I want to hear your thoughts on this.
WHAT? Blasphemy. #sixseasonsandamovie
Shows that were cancelled too soon:

Veronica Mars

Dark Angel (though they dug themselves into a plot hole anyway)

Moonlight - shame this one wasn't made a couple years later once vampires became a big thing

and of course TSC!
I almost forgot about Moonlight! That show was great!
I don't think expectations factor in too much with shows. I had low expectations for Last Resort and Beauty and the Beast before I saw them. Last Resort was great and the other stayed awful. I had high expectations for Nashville and Revolution. I still enjoy Nashville but was disappointed with the other.

Good to hear some of Lily's thoughts. She'll have to come back to talk about Scandal.

I agree on all your brilliant but cancelled shows. Shows that got cancelled in the first season I missed were Profit, The Tick (live action version), and Kolchak: The Night Stalker. Even the remake got cancelled quick, just when it was getting good.

Disney is planning to do a continuation of Boy Meets World. You guys are taste makers.
And Revolution is not a victim of our expectations but of its crappy writing! I could not possibly lower my expectations enough to think "Hey, that Revolution is pretty good!" Maybe if I'd never seen a TV before...
Brilliant but cancelled- Carnivale! So weird and dark and entertaining. Plus a pretty great cast! I was soooo disappointed when I found out it was cancelled after the second season.

I also really like when teen shows deal with high school related stuff. I wonder why that is, maybe because high school is just such a relatable experience. I think most shows suffer when the characters move on to college (Buffy, Veronica Mars) and I think that's really because they're removed from the limitations of high school. No one cares if you stay out all night slaying vampires in college! And most life 'firsts' and poignant growing up moments are done in high school. Anyways, I guess I'm just a little concerned about what will happen to TVD when everyone graduates (or not, Elena).
Lily, loved your self-description. All I can say is, it'd be worth the climb.
Great podcast again guys! It was awesome to hear Lily on the podcast too and her backhanding some guy in a bar--priceless!

As for brilliant but cancelled: Arrested Development, but it's coming back so I guess not anymore? I loved Awake though, such a shame it was cancelled. This is my problem with NBC, they have amazing shows but cancel them/screw them in favour of terrible shows like Whitney.

@Tim: I know you love Community and Go On (I actually started watching Community because I was convinced by your glowing reviews about it), but I was wondering if you watch Don't Trust the B in Apt. 23 at all? I think it's great, and it gives me all the laughs/feels. It'd be awesome to see some Apt. 23 love on tv.com

@Lily, I totally agree with you about OUAT this week, it was pretty disappointing. I think that OUAT is at its best when it focuses on the heart of the show and the Charming Family.
A show I think was cancelled too soon goes way back. A lovely little show called Brooklyn Bridge. BTW I'm looking forward to a regular IndianaMom segment. Have your people call my people. ;)
Brooklyn Bridge was brilliant. And then when it was cancelled they were going to show the rest of the episodes but after the poor reception the first one got they decided not to run the rest. Which was really a shame because this was a great show...
(It always surprises me when one of you actually reads my comments.) Thanks for the discussion of expectations. Lily's input there was invaluable, because the different mindset to watch OUAT really highlighted how expectation affects our satisfaction. And yeah, that Halloween ep really did jump the shark - Lily's rage is fully justified.

I'm continuing to wonder about the future of Last Resort. Like Rev, it's a great premise and a story that could go in so many unexplored directions, but unlike Rev, it's being written and acted consistently and with a good pace. I wish it got half the hype that Rev has gotten. I'm sure the technical objections by those with military backgrounds are valid, but I sweep that under the "suspension of disbelief" rug and hope for the show to continue to succeed. Wouldn't it be cool (for both shows) to present a feature article detailing the tech/politics/military of the shows with commentary from guest subject matter experts? An article on LR's geopolitical balance of power and war theatre scenario, or Rev's implications of broken electricity? Just a thought...
Great podcast guys and great to hear from Lily. Walking Dead is great at the moment but I hope the Governor isn't made too nice. I still hope he does everything from the comics including [redacted], [redacted] and [redacted [redacted]].

I'm trying to think of other shows that were unfairly cancelled really early on, the only one I can think of is John From Cincinnati (don't check the spelling please) that I would have loved to see some more of. I'm sure as soon as I post this I'll think of dozens more.
Loved the shout-out to TSC, Price!
We asked for podcasts, and you gave us that. Now, it's time for videocasts! Would it be great?
Yea. "Let's see what else he'll do" - Joey, Friends.

I know! They should reenact scenes from TV shows, e.g., Vampire Diaries or Revolution. Each week have guests: Lily, Jen, MaryAnn... then start inviting celebrities like Kristen Bell or Georgina Haig (Shut up! She's a celebrity in my heart!).

This is probably a really stupid idea, but I would love to see that at least once :D
"the only thing they get drunk on is murder" haha Price, you crack me up!
Somehow I'm TWO podcasts behind and just now realized it. (what happened, brain?)

Quick question: Could anyone tell me if there is a regular schedule for these or if Tim/Price have created a "podcast HQ" that I could bookmark?
Bicelis is correct about the schedule. All the shows they have done are available as well on the SoundCloud page where they host their shows.

I think they tape on Wednesdays and it appears on the site Wednesday-Friday. At least that's what I noticed :)
I haven't even STARTED it, but started literally crying because I see that Lily loved Cupid *sob* I was in college and we'd watch it every week. Other shows like Carnivale and Caprica still kill me. All my favorite cancellations begin with C.

And I say that Firefly and Battlestar aren't alien shows. I like aliens as people, but not something like Farscape. There are Reavers in Firefly, which are not aliens. And a Cylon isn't an alien either. That's why I gave both of those shows a shot. And I was hooked.

THE LEAGUE THE LEAGUE. Watch Season 3 Thankgiving. Netflix or other for everyone. Even got my friend to watch just that ep and he thought it was pretty funny. Tim, you need to go to church. lol (joke covered in that ep NOT what you think)

Price, DON'T recap the CMA's. Another great show. Thank you for you TV and time.
Ugh! I cant believei forgot to adress this but....LILY!!!!!! so glad you could do the show! So glad i could hear some of your thought on Revenge and OUAT! not that i dont read ur reviews... Totally agree with your disappointment with the 'Halloween' episode of OUAT! they just threw out what little sense and logic this show even had :(
2 canceled show that i thought were amazing were The Sarah Connor Chronicles and Drive with Nathan Fillion! and of course Firefly and Veronica Mars!

Tim! I 100% agree with who you believe to be Bloody Face! I had that same thought during this last episode... like he has a split personality kind of thing and dosent know that he is the killer..

As for TVD i was embarrassed for Nina Dobrev when she had to do that keg stand and motorcycle scene.... UGH! Cheese anyone?
im actually looking forward to seeing if elena becomes an alcoholic or just keep eating matt
thanks! looking forward to more veronica mars!
Idea: Replace the cool intro/outro music with Daybreak by Michael Haggins
I totally don't like Lauren Cohan's accent in The Walking Dead...
And the liver and alcohol thing is so true. I totally agree.
Are u guys not into Nashville? It's such an awesome show!