TV.com's Weekly Podcast: Totally Tubular! Episode 007 (AUDIO)

Happy post-election week! Price and Tim are back to discuss all of the television that needs discussing. Press play below (or subscribe on iTunes!) to hear our occasionally coherent thoughts on the following hot topics:

... TV.com commenter shout-outs! (00:55)

... Price loves Nashville! (01:17)

... Tim talks Community! (08:18)

... Price and Tim answer last week's Quick Question, about which major network they like best these days? (9:55)

... Insight into our weekly FTW vs. WTF story, plus a response to last week's violence against women debate. (12:24)

... Sunday's episode of The Walking Dead! (17:45)

... Sunday's episode of Homeland! (25:24)

... Price went to The CW to watch this week's The Vampire Diaries, and also learned some behind-the-scenes info regarding product placement on the show! (29:28)

... Plus more! [SPOILERS ABOUND]

Hey! Is there anything YOU want us to chat about next week? Please leave any topics or suggestions in the comments below!

PREVIOUSLY...

Totally Tubular! Podcast 006 – October 31, 2012
Totally Tubular! Podcast 005 – October 24, 2012
Totally Tubular! Podcast 004 – October 17, 2012
Totally Tubular! Podcast 003 – October 10, 2012
Totally Tubular! Podcast 002 – October 6, 2012
Totally Tubular! Podcast 001 – September 28, 2012

Another great podcast guys but when are you going to change the intro/outro music? Every time I hear it I feel like I should be in an elevator or on hold on the phone. It is kind of boring and you guys are definitely not.

Looking forward to the next one!
As a follow up to your discussion of brilliant shows that were canceled too soon, I'd like to suggest a discussion of shows that DESERVE to be canceled. Admittedly, this is in light of the recent stupid renewal of BATB...
I have a question & a suggestion for you guys. How do you guys treat the finales of shows you love? For example I liked House a lot, even though the later seasons were not as good, but I 'prepared' for the finale: bought some nice whiskey, got some good snacks and made sure no one's gonna bother me :) Do you do anything special? Get some wine, dress up in a costume? Or watch it naked with your cats, Tim? I'm already planning my Fringe double episode finale viewing :)

Also, I posted this somewhere else, but I think me and other readers would appreciate some special articles for ending shows that are significant. I'll just copy my comment from before:

Tim, once Fringe is over I hope you write some special article about it, that overviews the entire series and everything around it - fans, contribution to the sci-fi genre, importance in the TVsphere in general, etc. A eulogy, if you will :)

It would also be nice to get the same thing for other big shows that end. For example when Weeds ended (perhaps a bad example, but still), a paragraph or two in the finale's review, I believe, is not enough. It was eight years of Nancy Botwin and while they were very up and down (mostly down in the second half), the show still needs a proper 'burial'. Fans of the show would love to reminisce about it and share their favorite seasons/episodes/moments/simply talk about it. "
sorry this is not Tubular related but I didn't know where else to write... Tim, are you writing a review of the 6th episode of Last Resort? it was great! and I thought it would be a stand-alone kind of thing at first but if you think about the motives behind the attack (plus, the twist with the kiss and the nuke key stolen at the end), you'll realize they actually set many things in motion! I'm loving this show more and more, any news about a full-season pick up???
Obvs a topic for next week's cast has to be the inability of the networks to cancel anything. Are they refusing to admit they've made mistakes and trying to bluster their way out? Chicago Fire? B&TB?
BTW, I have this fantasy picture in my head of Stephen Amell in costume walking about the CW lot and executive offices, shooting people and declaiming "You have failed this network!" No voiceover necessary, of course.
Also, I only watched The League because it was mentioned in one of the podcasts and it is...awesome! Thank you to whoever brought it up...
Price, I too get squicked out by violence against women on most shows. However, I wanted to hear about how you feel about the violence on a show like Buffy, a show arguably about female empowerment.
Another stellar podcast, thanks guys.
This topic may be a little old, but what do you guys think about Disney's acquisition of Star Wars and Lucas's other properties?
As long as CBS keeps Person of Interest on the air, they have my vote.
Last Resort on the other hand needs all the help it can get. If adding some more or less annoying product placement can save the show, then DO IT NOW, ABC!
The Vampire Diaries doesn't need product placement. It's the highest rated show on the CW if I'm not mistaken, so it's not going anywhere, it doesn't need product placement to survive.
Staff
It probably does need the product placement since the CW can't demand as high a price for its ad spots as the other 4 broadcasters can due to their (comparatively) lower audience shares.

And given how advertisers and networks assume that the show's target demos tend to watch programs via alternative platforms that may askew commercials (iTunes, Amazon, illegally downloading) instead of a live broadcast, product placement actually makes a lot of sense for them.
Are you guys taking part in Movember? If so, can we get pictoral updates on how it's going?
I understand, from a highly placed internal source, that Jen's moustache is awesome!
OMG talk about "MTV's The Challenge" next week. I would die. What's up with Frank? bipolar?
My favorite product placement is definitely Resse Peanut Butter Cups on Teen Wolf. God I love a show that is sponsored by candy. Its just so classy. A close second is Subway and Community. Having a character named Subway. That's priceless.
If its not too much trouble.. is there any way you guys could talk about some of the comments on some of the recaps and reviews the two of you write? im interested in what your reactions are to what WE say about the respective shows.. if its too much trouble and not enough time in the podcast, its cool :)
I agree with Tim about NBC's boring shows, Community is a unique show and I think they still got a lot of ideas. since 30 rock and The Office in their final season, they should give Community a chance and renew the show instead of airing some new boring shows. I hope next time you'll talk about ( if you watch these show ) South Park finale, and this season of Sons of Anarchy .
Topanga and CORY! geez
AGREED!! This is making my personal WTF list (if it ever comes to pass). Not so much because they're rebooting it, but because Cory and Topanga are OLD ENOUGH TO HAVE A TEENAGE DAUGHTER?!?! Whaaaaaat?!?! I feel old now, like a year or two away from muttering to myself in a corner complaining about these damn kids and their devil music.
YEAH! duh! btw how dare they try to reboot Boy Meets World, especially wth how Disney channel is today! what do you think IndianaMom?
@#emmy021889, I'm cautiously optimistic. Michael Jacobs is doing it, and he created and produced BMW, so that makes me feel better. I don't watch any Disney shows, but I'm hoping the creators will not make C&T's daughter a wannabe rock star or something lame like that. The charm of BMW was that they were pretty average kids just trying to figure things out.
@wind_shadow, they're saying the daughter is a pre-teen, The show's been off the air since 2000, so that's totally possible. I know what you mean about feeling old. Next year it will be 20 years since the premiere.
it ended in 2000? wow! yea i feel old too
I realize that it's plausible.....yet that does nothing to quell my "rushing toward the grave" feelings about this......lol!

20 YEARS?!?!?! GAH!!!!
Another good ep this week. Everyone go RATE on iTunes! I want to hear some AHS talk. I felt so bad for Sarah Paulson's character, cause some of that probably wasn't acting. Arrow is getting good. I love Barrowman and my goal in life is for him to become just famous enough to be on Dancing With the Stars. He did it in the UK and I want it HERE.

Tim I literally finally got my best friend to continually (thank to my gift subscription) watch The League on Netflix. He now texts me one liners. Forever UNCLEAN! My tv watching is all over the map.

Except CBS. I'm really glad they assembled an excellent website, but my favorite thing about you is Craig Ferguson. He's the best. I ditched Daily Show/Colbert for him. Thank you tv.com!
Ditched The Daily Show!!!??? Blasphemy!
Daily Show is excellent, but Craig is like a drug. Once you're hooked, you're hooked... Though he is certainly not for everyone.
Thanks for the mention again! :)
I like One Direction, who doesn't love generic pop?!
I don't know if you're being sarcastic or not because they're a horrible band.
More Asians! Yeah! I'll back this...
I would love to have someone on the site either watch/recap Nikita or just give it some love. Honestly not to be blasphemous but it is better than most of the CW shows and gets no love anywhere
I'm probably sounding like a broken record but it needs more coverage and more promotion because it's genuinely an excellent show that's better than half of the stuff on TV.
Hopefully it's not only us Torontonians that believe this, but yes, Nikita is quite awesome.
The Asian guy is busy shooting the Russians and various animals on an island in Arrow. Duh!
I love Lauren Cohan too! I just love her British accent...
How do you think Last Resort might do the rest of the season? I really hope it doesn't get cancelled. It really is special.
Wow! I totally didn't intend for my comment to have these heavy and judgemental implications. I was just genuinely curious about the FTW/WTF process.

It also seems like I'm this insensitive asshole who doesn't take violence against women seriously. This is absolutely not the case. There are double standards and there should be, but New Girls accidental haunted house punch was so benign and harmless it felt like it was lumped into the AHS rape plot (which I didn't see) to create a talking point.

I mean, the head writer and creator of New Girl is a woman, and MaryAnne reviewed the episode and didn't find it troubling at all. I just really don't see the scene as being cavalier towards violence against women. He thought she was a zombie!

Okay, I'm done. Now I'm the bummer. Sorry. Agree to disagree, Price?

(P.S. The only thing worse than 1 Justin Bieber is 5 Justin Bieber's! But at least they're not Canadian.)
I was with your comment. But I don't think double standards help creating equality. I know enough women who are sick of getting *special treatment* from men because of unnecessary political correctness. People on TV get shot, killed, punched, sweared at every day - by men and women. Why shouldn't women be allowed to play certain fictional roles but instead fit into a politically correct role model which doesn't reflect reality? It's definitely not a step towards equality but back to discrimination. Of course it depends heavily on what happens on the screen (and yes, there are cases where it's trivialized and that shouldn't be) but in New Girl's case where Nick accidentally punched a friend (!) absolutely noone in the audience goes "yeah, take that, woman!". The only emotional reaction (if any) you get is political correctness which adds NO value at all to the social conflict. With too much PC, all you have in the end is *new* role models for the genders which equals discrimination from both sides and ultimately no progress at all - because in the end PC is just a means to an end to create progress and equality and one day we'll have to acknowledge as a society that we're ready on certain topics to slow down on reflexive PC and live equally (wether you think that day has come or not obviously depends on the country and society you live in). PC shouldn't be a reflex, because if it gets one, people stop giving the actual (!) problems deep thought and all we have are empty recycled phrases.
More +
While I agree with the basic sentiment of your argument, violence against women may singularly be the one issue when a double standard should apply. Women are generally physically weaker than men. That is not a sexist, chauvinistic or misogynistic statement. It's just a fact. So a man physically hurting a woman should not be treated on equal terms when a man does the same to another man. There is an inherent physical power imbalance between the sexes. Spousal abuse is perpetrated by men 99.9% of the time. Universal equality does not conform with reality.

Of course this whole argument has nothing to do with New Girl. Nick accidentally punched his friend. She happens to be a woman. I honestly don't know how Price found it troubling. I've spoken to several women I know about the episode and none of them even considered the possibility New Girl was trivializing or trying to find humour in violence against women. Television and film do that all the time, but not this time.
I agree with you, FringeFanatic. Speaking as a woman who has been physically abused, I thought the scene was hilarious, and was touched to see how sorry Nick was for accidentally punching Jess. This issue is close to my heart, and too often violence against women is trivialized on TV and film as bendylegsnick wrote, but I took no offence to this scene.

I appreciate what Price was trying to do, but in these circumstances his attempt to bring up a very serious problem was misguided at best.
Yeah, I said this on the FTW/WTF article too, but that scene in New Girl was in no way about violence against women. Yes, Jess got punched, so yes, there was violence against a woman. But Nick didn't think it was Jess before he punched her... he was hysterical because of his fear of haunted houses and thought Jess was a freaky ghost monster thingy. If I was in a state of hysteria, I'd have punched a freaky ghost monster thingy too... and yet I don't think I'm easygoing or neglectful about violence against women. It wasn't a means to an end like a "let's punch a woman for jokes"... it was about Nick being scared shitless.
I agree as well about the New Girl thing. I don't think he even realized that it was even a woman he was punching, but just this scary zombie creature in the dark. I definitely could see why seeing a woman get hit in any kind of scenario could be uncomfortable for people though.

On the other hand, I am continually completely revolted by the violence against women on AHS. Sorry to anyone who disagrees, it just really bothers me. i don't like being "scared" in that way at all.
I agree with you I am a woman and I found that scene hilarious, it was not meant in any sort of violent manner. I laughed my ass off at Nick in that scene, if it was done in any other way maybe but I agree with you there.
I totally agree! It was clear that there was no malice in it, it was an accident, and we got the hilarious scene where she gets her own back! The main problem about showing violence against women in TV and film is that is trivialises it, but I don't think that New Girl did it like that...
Did Tim ever give his opinions on the Breaking Bad season 5 finale? I remember the Price review saying he would say what he thought about it.
I'll have you know, I was yelling at the computer yesterday for the podcast. Not many are making the cut lately, you guys still do. As do Greg Proops and Doug Loves Movies. Cause I have taste. lol