TV.com's Weekly Podcast: Totally Tubular! Episode 009 (AUDIO)

Happy turkey week! Listen as Editor Jen joins Price and Tim to discuss this week's bounteous feast of television goodness. Press play below (or subscribe on iTunes!) to hear our sometimes coherent thoughts on the following hot topics:

... TV.com commenter shout-outs! (00:34)

... How does TV.com compile its year-end Top 100 list? (01:30)

... Why don't we cover more procedurals? (10:02)

... Our favorite Thanksgiving/holiday-themed episodes! (18:56)

... This week's episode of The Walking Dead! (25:38)

... Why we hate hallucinations/dream sequences! (28:35)

... Last week's episode of The Vampire Diaries! (32:10)

... This week's episode of Homeland! (35:50)

... Last week's episode of American Horror Story: Asylum! (41:00)

... Plus more! [SPOILERS ABOUND]

Hey! Is there anything YOU want us to chat about next week? Please leave any topics or suggestions in the comments below!

PREVIOUSLY...

Totally Tubular! Podcast 001 – September 28, 2012
Totally Tubular! Podcast 002 – October 6, 2012
Totally Tubular! Podcast 003 – October 10, 2012
Totally Tubular! Podcast 004 – October 17, 2012
Totally Tubular! Podcast 005 – October 24, 2012
Totally Tubular! Podcast 006 – October 31, 2012
Totally Tubular! Podcast 007 – November 7, 2012
Totally Tubular! Podcast 008 – November 14, 2012

Also, I support the "bring back Open Caption" movement
Speaking of hallucinations: Buffy's episode where she was poisoned (I think) and hallucinated that all the years of fighting vampires was just her own mind playing tricks because she was mentally ill and institutionalized. I totally agree with you guys about how annoying dreams & hallucinations (I'm looking at you House) can be, but that Buffy episode hit all the right notes and I was left with a truly terrifying thought that it may well be nothing more but an imagination. And the reason it worked is that the episode attacked the Buffyverse from all the logical points. That strong attack on the whole Buffy reality was equally matched by our love for the characters (it was quite late in the series) and the episode left OPEN ENDED! Yes, we came back to the Buffy world and continued our journey, but the way they didn't disprove either of the realities was just perfect. If they said the Buffy reality was real then the hallucinations would have been pointless and if it was the other way around, then the whole show loses the point. Because the episode finished without an answer, viewers never had to choose. Maybe I'm being too enthusiastic about it, but I remember the feeling that episode left in me and it was strong. It was one among my favorite Buffy episodes along with the one where everybody can't talk and the one where Buffy's mom dies, which to me is the perfect episode which deals with death of a close person and I haven't seen a better one yet.

Since I talked about Buffy a lot here, my question for you guys is:
Which Joss Whedon thing is your favorite? I say thing because it can include Dr. Horrible, Avengers, Much Ado About Nothing, Buffy, anything...
After listening to your podcast last week, I decided to watch Homeland. The stuff you were talking about sounded so intriguing and you were so right! I've watched four episodes so far and I can't stop. I heard so many good things about the show but never bothered to actually watch it, thanks for being my motivation, you guys! ;)
And maybe reviewing procedurals when something major happens, characters death or something. Or like season premieres and finales and maybe have like a comparative article that contains different kinds of shows. Like what did one show do right with its finale and what another one did right etc
I love supernatural´s A Very Supernatural Christmas episode. Very festive, yet still scary, good combo.
What made that ep better was the heartfelt brotherly moments in it. Especially at the end of the ep.
Yeah, in the context of the horror and the sad situation the brothers were in, makes the Christmas feeling even more amplified.
Don't forget about the season finale Buffy the Vampire Slayer episode Restless that was made up of mostly four different dream sequence. Best dream sequence episode ever. The stakes were high, each character's dream was chockfull of imagery for their archs and forced them to address what they were going through, and had some awesome cinematography. Joss Whedon referred to it as making a television version of a poem. Also, it featured the brief return of Oz for Willow's dream and Principal Snyder for Xander's dream which was fantastic.
Fringe is an hallucination. At least for Walter Bishop.
Walter White (Breaking Bad) really needs some more hallucination.
Dexter will bored himself to death if it wasn’t of his father’s hallucination.
Debra Morgan only BIG wish is to finally stop hallucinating.
Sergeant Brody in Homeland wants to escape from his hallucination.
Arrow man – Oliver Queen was saved because of an hallucination.
Emely Thorne/Amanda Clarke has based the whole revenge thing on her childhood hallucinations.
LOST was just a 6 seasons with121 episodes BIG hallucination.
Mozzie from White Collar is a constant hallucination.
Sons of Anarchy ´s brothers do NOT suffer any hallucination.
Let´s hope the next podcast has a bit about the Sons .
hallucinations or dream sequences are the worst. most of the time i think it's just to create sth shocking without the consequences that would follow. it's a lie and i usually hate those scenes instead of thinking yeah, that was great!
like the telephone call (the walking dead). it had so much potential and could have been anyone anywhere. instead it was just ricks hallucination. i know it was important for rick to be confronted with lori etc but i was just mad after the cliffhanger.
go on handled that better. i really liked seeing ryan with his wife.
even dreams about kissing another person can be nice to see but the feelings of that character could have easily be shown in a different way without tricking the viewer.

i don't think you need to review procedurals. if one of the writers is watchin one on a regular basis there could be a recap at the end of a season regarding the characters. like who died/left/joined, did sth significant happen, is someone in love. stuff like that. but it's not necessary.
Price!!!!! We are TVD & TSC Brothers and I totally understand your MTV slow creep revolution of our Televisions. Please talk about their new show UNDEREMPLOYED. It probably won't go anywhere cause I doubt many people are watching but seriously it is one of the best new coming of age right after college what am I doing with my life shows to come out in forever. And the fact that MTV is coming out with quality programming now after Teen Wolf is just delightful. Please mention underemployed and just take a look its AWESOME!
I don't know why but I burst out laughing at Jen & Tim's shock when hearing about Price saying that Elena murdered her brother then hearing their relief when Price said that he had a supernatural ring. Jen and Tim need to watch TVD. They're missing out on all the unbelievably crazy things on that show.
I loved the Season 2 Christmas ep of TBBT where Sheldon had to find a perfect gift for Penny and it resulted with one of my fave moments of the series where she gave him a napkin from Leonard Nimoy and in return, he broke down and gave her a hug!
I'm from Germany and have no problems listing to the podcast here.
procedural/comedies: Highlight when something big happens.
I started a tradition a few years back of watching Holiday episodes from 1999 on New Years Eve. It's just really funny to watch everyone freak out or try and calm down people who are being ridiculous about Y2K. I was to young and the people I know were to reasonable to actually believe that computers were going to crash or reset when it happened, but it is fun to experience that hysteria in retrospect. 7th Heaven, BH 90210, ER, and Friends (no one is freaking out or being reasonable in this episode, Y2K isn't mentioned, but that episode is The One with the Routine) are all pretty funny episodes. All the Thanksgiving episodes of Friends are good. And there are so many actual fun things to do at Christmas that I usually revisit Christmas episodes in the Summer and then by the end I actually have to remind myself its not Winter anymore.
007 is right. It's time to bring back open caption. I suggested Rogue Open Caption on the what to watch tonight thread, but that lasted like a week. I even created a Pinterest board and was going to keep track of the captions, but by the time I got it set up, we were down to like 1 or 2 commenters each day. So, calling back bicleis's comments on negative reviews from authoritative figures, you really need the staff icon beside your name to get anything done on here. I know you guys are all busy, but open caption can't be that significant a time commitment.
Yay, I made a small impact! And I agree, we need open caption back :)
I'm a big Justified fan, so I'd love to see anything Justified related in the Top 100 list, especially about Timothy Olyphant's or Walton Goggins's performances. I read your reviews last season, Tim, and I know you didn't enjoy the 3rd season as much as the 2nd (which, fair enough), and it's also off the air at the moment, but I would like to see more love for the show, which is, for me, one of the best dramas. Especially now, when I see it pretty low on the "Best overall series" list behind some other shows that, originality and quality wise, just don't compare to the greatness that is Justified. So I would also love to hear Tim talk about the show on these podcasts once it returns.

On the reviewing procedurals topic - don't. I never really understood why you started recapping White Collar in the first place, except to include pictures of Matt Bomer's pretty face. So maybe once the show comes back on, just stick to doing that, with maybe a couple bulletpoints covering the episode. But I was wandering about the comedies, especially since last year there was this "For the Winsday" review of the comedies on ABC. I know that the schedules have changed for those comedies, but I would like to see something similar, especially if it could include Suburgatory and Apt. 23 (it was also refreshing to read negative reviews of Modern Family in those articles).

Also, and I don't even know if you'll remember this, there was this series of articles about cable networks (America's Got Cable, I think). It appeared pretty regularly at first, then disappeared, then was brought back again and now there's no sign of it anymore. I was just wandering if I missed something, did you select the best network already or not? I wouldn't even care that much, since I don't live in the US, but the completionist in me just wants to see who wins.

Oh, and one last thing - could you maybe switch it up with the shows you review in the podcast? They're all great, but it's just getting a little repetitive, so I wish you would think of something new to talk about now and again.
Procedurals: That's a no for me on reviews about them. I get that a lot of people watch them, I too watch a few of them. But I'm not interested in reading recaps, because the episodes are so similar to each other. Not only will this lead to the reviews eventually becoming clones of each other, but it must also be really challenging for the writers to try to come up with creative ways of presenting the material which is essentially the same every week.

By the way, as soon as Dr. Arden in AHS was presented as a mad doctor doing lobotomies, it became clear that the character is partially inspired by a real doctor: Walter Jackson Freeman. He travelled around the US from the 1930s up to the 1960s preforming thousands of lobotomies, most of them in mental institutions. He was the one who came up with using an icepick through the eye-socket because he could do that procedure alone, without a trained staff of surgeons.
I agree that dream sequences mostly work in the supernatural shows where there is a method to people’s madness.

I also agree with most of your holiday episode selections. A lot of classics and modern classics there. I am a huge Community fan. Huge TV fan in general. For Thanksgiving, I like “Pangs” from BtVS where they end up killing all the Native American warriors. I liked The Gilmore Girls “A Deep Fried Korean Thanksgiving” that tested the bottomless stomachs the girls supposedly had. Gossip Girl had a few good Thanksgiving episodes in the early years before the show went completely off the rails. I also liked the Will & Grace episode “Lows in the Mid-Eighties” which was an origin story for how all the characters met around Thanksgiving drama.

As for Christmas, I also liked the Buffy sort of episode, “Amends,” as well as a Christmas episode of News Radio and one of the Golden Girls Christmas episode where they all get stuck together. It’s fun in a grandmother throwback way.

I personally don’t really follow procedurals besides “Elementary.” I do agree that maybe other not reviewed comedies should maybe get attention. Though I guess that mostly can be done in FTW v. WTF
I like The Vampire Diaries almost as much as Price and enjoy the photo recaps every week and especially look forward to Price's thoughts on the podcast! So thanks for that. You've got a big fan in Canada. I agree with Tim as well and also think Morgan Saylor is a hidden gem in Homeland. I'm enjoying her acting and arc this season.
1. No sirens this week!
2. Streaming on Soundcloud and the iTunes podcast work fine in Canada.
3. The best Christmas special is the Sesame Street/Muppets/Fraggle rock one from the 80’s called a Muppet Family Christmas.
4. How could you talk about Elena hallucinating and not mention that Elena and Stefan broke up? The love triangle is one of the defining aspects of the show, and their break up is a pretty big deal (even if you aren’t a shipper).
I thought I heard a siren near the end of the podcast.
In Australia streaming the podcast straight from this site works fine... not sure about through iTunes
The podcast through iTunes in Australia works. :)
the OC thanksgiving episode from season 1 is the best, and all the Friends episodes
You do NOT need to recap procedurals. Only 2 I watch are Burn Notice (kinda serial) and Psych. Thats it. Never watched NCIS, CSI or Law and Order. Closest was Boston Legal. Denny Crane. Alan Shore. Yes please.
One of the best Thanksgiving episodes for me is from Friends, I think it's from season 9 with Christina Applegate playing Rachel's sister. Brilliant!

Community season 1 Christmas episode was definitely one of the best! if only to watch how each individual character is doing in their individual fights within the big fight, especially Abed
I would like you guys to recap more Animal Planet Shows, as well as shows on NatGeo.

But seriously, not really. I know fans of Tim & Price's reviews like myself enjoy reading what you guys write and getting your take on things, but recapping procedurals is an exercise in futility. Even though they can be enjoyable they primarily wind the same route each week: 1. Get a case, 2. Investigate, 3. Solve case/get confession.

Sure there's action and jokes along the way, but you couldn't be reasonably expected to cover a show like this when 99% of the time each episode has little to no bearing on future episodes. What kind of feature could you do besides talking about the funniest joke of the show or featuring the "Red Herring Suspect of the Week"?

That's just my two cents.
Yeah I don't think you guys should necessarily review procedurals. I watch them while I'm doing other things am not even that invested in the ones I continue watch on a weekly basis.
I agree stressful television is so much better. I worry and about Breaking Bad and its characters a lot, probably too much, but I like not knowing if Walter is going to die or who he is going to kill. I miss the show so much right now.
The only other comedy that would be fun to see a weekly review of would be Go On. All the other comedies I watch get reviews. I actually don't know why HIMYM does. I think that show has gone down too far in quality to really warrant attention.
And WHAT HAPPENED TO THE OPEN CAPTION???
It stopped, and people who really wanted to keep it up moved it to the 'What to watch tonight' article
You could always do it on your own...
Okay, thanks. I really miss it.
Yeah. That lasted like a week. Underground Open Caption did not capture the imagination of the masses.
And maybe, if like something big happens, do a small arc recap and just recap the season finales or season premieres. a lot of interesting stuff usually happens there. And the discussion thing might be a good idea.
Thanks for your input, and what ever happened to open caption?
Except for Person of Interest -- which is just awesome -- I have trouble finding interest in reading reviews for procedurals then giving my thoughts on the episode. I know Castle often gets a review this season from Alex which I often read and reply to, but I don't think I do it with any enthusiasm, hehe. Even five or six years ago when I watched a lot of Law & Order and CSI, I never found myself talking with my friends about them, unlike now where I talk with people about Breaking Bad, Homeland, Person of Interest, etc. as often as we can. It doesn't hurt or make it any worse to write or review a procedural, but considering you have only so many people on the staff and only so many shows they can each cover, I figure there are better options to review or recap. As for Price's White Collar recaps, I think my comments were usually as generic and procedural as their episodes: "This episode was fun/I didn't like this episode. ____ was kind of funny. Oh, and Matt Bomer." The only exceptions other than Person of Interest that I can currently think of are Suits and Justified, which seem half-procedural, half-serial, but I love reading and commenting about both. At this point in their series, Supernatural and Fringe are kind of in the middle for me, where I sometimes find some enthusiasm to read or write about it, but more often than not don't.

As for comedies, I don't think I've ever found the reviews for Community, Happy Endings, New Girl, etc. insufficient or whatever. The comments section may not be as interactive as serialized dramas, but talking about the funniest moments and jokes is fun in itself. If efficiency is kind of a problem and you have some writers that watch, say, Happy Endings AND The B in 23, maybe one review for the two is a good option. Something similar to what you did with ABC last fall-season.
About comedies/procedurals, I liked the way you guys did it last season, with the ABC Wednesday FTW comedy power rankings. It encourages feedback. So maybe, if you for whatever reason decide to review more stuff, do something like that, but a bit more spread out over the week.
Price i loooveee your list of the 53 hottest people in tv at 11 in the morning, i lol, it's i competition with your explanation of the emmys, they were both streets ahead!!
My name is Nicholas, and the only people that call me that are my mum and sister when they're mad at me...
To the person in Germany who gets the podcast a week too late: I'm a listener in Norway. I use the Downcast app on my iPhone to listen to the podcast, and I always get it right away. Great podcast guys!
Last year's Community Christmas episode was incredible!
1. Any time Price <3

2. Glee Community was amazing - Boop bee doop boop SEX!

3. Explaining The Vampire Diaries to a non-watcher is awkward - and then this person got MURDERED - but it's OK because they have a supernatural ring. I remember making this mistake when Damon killed Alaric - turns out my husband did not care and just wanted to go to sleep.

4. I was so angry at American Horror Story for inter-cutting the lobotomy with Sister Jude - They were forcing me to watch it and I didn't want to, it was very stressful.
I love all the 'friends' thanksgiving episodes and I'm from a country that doesn't even celebrate thanksgiving. If it wasn't for friends I would never have known what a turducken is ;-)
Alaric was manipulated by this old witch (Klaus' mother) every time he died and that's why he lost his mind. She is not meddling anymore so Jeremy can die as many times as he needs;) and he should be fine. I agree that Elena should have apologized for killing him.