TV.com's Weekly Podcast: Totally Tubular! Episode 010 (AUDIO)

The TV can't stop won't stop! Listen as Price, Tim, and Jen discuss everything our TVs threw at us this week. Press play below (or subscribe on iTunes!) to hear our elegant ramblings on the following hot topics:

... Commenting system upgrades! (00:45)

... Angus T. Jones' comments about Two and a Half Men! (04:01)

... TV.com commenter shout-outs! (11:15)

... Liz & Dick! (30:15)

... The fall finale of Revolution! (33:45)

... Sunday's episode of The Walking Dead and whether Michonne is awesome or annoying! (39:28)

... The music on The Walking Dead and Homeland and also Sunday's episode of Homeland! (45:30)

... Spoilers in episode credits! (49:00)

... Tuesday's episode of New Girl! (51:10)

... This season of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia! (54:00)

... Plus more! [SPOILERS ABOUND]

Hey! Is there anything YOU want us to chat about next week? Please leave any topics or suggestions in the comments below!

PREVIOUSLY...

Totally Tubular! Podcast 001 – September 28, 2012
Totally Tubular! Podcast 002 – October 6, 2012
Totally Tubular! Podcast 003 – October 10, 2012
Totally Tubular! Podcast 004 – October 17, 2012
Totally Tubular! Podcast 005 – October 24, 2012
Totally Tubular! Podcast 006 – October 31, 2012
Totally Tubular! Podcast 007 – November 7, 2012
Totally Tubular! Podcast 008 – November 14, 2012
Totally Tubular! Podcast 009 – November 20, 2012

I don't think Morgan Saylor was in Contagion. I just checked I think you have her confused with Anna Jacoby-Heron.
-We DO wanna know what you're wearing Price

-Morgan Saylor is really really good. Considering her plot, a different actress could have made this character insufferable. I really look forward to seeing her in something else and hopefully something with quality and not two and a half men

-24 was on FOX and it had death and high stakes. So there's something.

-In some previous episode Carrie asked Virgil to look into Quinn. So when we saw him and "the mute" breaking in, we kinda knew where they were breaking in.
A great podcast, guys! I'm wondering if you guys are gonna do a feature on the new shows' title cards like you did last season where you graded them. Also, I wanna know what you guys think of this season of SPN and whether Price has finished Season 1. Keep up the great work!
I listened from 33:45 until and including the part with New Girl, love it!

How about you discuss Homeland and where it's headed? What about 'the machine' in Person of Interest? Will the machine become conscious ? Will it become more involved :D ?
And what the hell is with The Machine's timeline extending to 2016?! I've brought this up many times, but no one has even theorized along with me.

Can The Machine see the future? Are we watching the past? Will the show end in 2016? Is 2016 when The Machine breaks out of its box and goes full on Skynet?

Somebody theorize with me!
I think's just there without any meaning. Computers have calendars looong in the future, so it's probably just the same.

I see it as an empty calendar which The Machine fills up every day with new footage, facts and all the data it collects. And since The Machine is a threat predicting device, it makes projections and fills those future calendar windows with them (with a pencil of course :) in case something changes, like Reese and Finch changing the predicted course of events)
But why 2016? I know computers have calendars long into the future, but they chose to show us its calendar up to a a specific year. In season 1 I'm pretty sure it only showed up to 2012. Why the 4 year jump? Has The Machine's predictive projections become more evolved, thus allowing it to predict events further into the future. Is there a chance something of particular significance will happen in 2016?

It could just be some arbitrary number without meaning, but when it comes to sic-fi I'm hardwired to look at all the possibilities.
Hmm. Interesting observation. I didn't notice the change.
1. POI is good at pacing and Jonathan Nolan looks like he's planning ahead
2. The Machine's little details have been changing before and they were taken into consideration

You might be onto something here
Thanks guys for another great podcast!
About Underemployed: Me kind of being in that phase, I liked the first episode. But I still have to catch up on the other episodes. So it wasn't the most thrilling, but still an entertaining episode. And if it throws out the cliches, it'll be great.
Good Podcast! here in Norway in the cold long winter it is appreciated to have good stuff to hear .
DEXTER has the best intro. Seven seasons with it, and it still make me feel good about the show. I ever pull a litte smile...
REVENGE is also good,because it is short and simple. Just like LOST.
AMERICAN HORROR STORY could have been shorter, but sound/ music is nice.
But can any INTRO create history as THE X FILES? I doubt it... or?
Sorry I have an unrelated question: why are there NO comedy shows with an hour long format? does the fun have to be short so that you'll want more or is it some kind of tv policy?
On cable TV there is an hour long comedy called Wedding Band on TBS that I enjoy, but it'll probably only last one season due to it showing on Saturday nights.

As far as broadcast I think they keep them down to half an hour to keep costs low, as well as the fact of viewers having generally shorter attention spans.
what about drama then? are 40 mins needed to develop the storylines or do they have more funds?
I think it's a combination of the two reasons. I don't think you can really have a dramatic story take place in one half hour of television and have it be satisfying, or have enough time to fully have the story develop without seeming cramped.
You can, Californication does it well, but it's a half drama half comedy.

NTSF:SD:SUV::, Childrens Hospital, Eaglehart fit in a LOT of storyline into 10 minutes :D
I'd really like to know more about the rules regarding acting credits. I always read the opening credits and look for a familiar guest star. I agree, it can be a spoiler. I think one of the best casting credits was Kevin Spacey on the end sequence for Seven - one of the most spoiled movies ever managed to keep at least one suprise!

Also, I think I might be one of the only people in the world who loves the opening credits to Homeland.

Regards,

Schplat
The Mindy Project theme song bugs me because it does sound like a throwback theme song but I can't quite place it. Someone said Clarissa Explains It All but it doesn't feel close enough.

For me, knocking on a show/movie depends on the star and the context. Like Katherine Heigl talked crapped about Grey's Anatomy multiple times while she was on it (happens). She didn't show up for filming of her last arc. Then she kept asking to be taken back. It made me loose a little respect of her.
Apparently the Mindy Project theme song was made by B.J. Novak's brother.
Thanks for the shout out on this episode! I am formally ChrisDelaney1 and I'm glad I could make you guys laugh haha. I know it's beating a dead horse since it was two episodes ago, but do any of you guys watch The Good Wife for pleasure? I know it's a CBS procedural-type show, but I feel out of any show, it could easily get some attention for reviews. It has stories of the week, but also bigger arcs throughout the series. Plus it's my favourite show on network television.
Thanks for the shout-out, I really appreciate your answers :)
Price, we watch a lot of the same shows - TVD, TSC, Teen Wolf and The Inbetweeners, which I actually enjoyed, then again, I have not seen the original. But I do not recommend you watch Underemployed. I have seen all the episodes that aired so far, and I'm gonna quit, because it seemed promising at first, but has not improved one bit. The actors are okay, most of them, but the timing of the comedy is just off. The chemistry is nonexistent, I do not believe that these characters are good friends and the supporting cast is just sooooo baaaad, seriously, some of them show up and I just go "Whyyy? Make it stop." Also, I think the show would benefit from being 20 minutes long instead of 40 min. Some scenes just don't fit in anywhere and look like they've been thrown in just to add enough minutes to make the episode longer. And I'm actually sort of the target demographic, I think (23 year old female), so Tim, I don't think it's age that's the problem, it's the show itself. And if someone wants a show about young people finding themselves and doing stupid things in the process, then Girls is what you should be watching. I absolutely love that show and yay Price for liking and recommending it!
I second the NOT watching of Underemployed. I watched the first two episodes and wasn't remotely invested in what was happening with any of the characters.
I have to say that I don't watch any of the shows that you regularly talk about except TVD, but somehow listening to you all talk is still a highlight of my week. This either means that you are awesome (yay!) or my life is just that uneventful (sadly true). But nonetheless, I will continue looking forward to you talking about shows that I have never seen but can now discuss with others by repeating what you all say.

P.S. I know that nobody else really watches TVD, but I think you should just talk about it more anyway. Fans of TVD never get any recognition since we aren't really network or cable. Not watched by millions, yet not highbrow enough to be a cool cable series. TVD is stuck being in no man's land even though Klaus is the most powerful being on Earth.
I second this. It's sad how TVD is underrated and how they don't get a lot of deserved attention well unless it's the TCA's.
...was that a Ruffio reference?
homeland has the WORST intro and its so effing looooong
I think you're not alone on this one. I, however, like it up until the point where Carrie and Saul say something. Before those lines, the intro gives me a sense of uneasiness, which is perfectly fitting the show.
ya same, if it didnt have carrie and saul's lines in there and it was like half as long it would be good
I like Dana even though she's annoying like most teenagers around the world. I think Chris is more annoying than his sister. Sometime I think he's in the show so we could hate him.

Michonne is awesome! I like her because she uses Katana, but Maggie is my favorite character.

I'm really glad that you talked about It's always sunny. It's always sunny one of the funniest show on TV. I like that they can take anything and make it so funny, even if it was nothing. There was an episode where they have nothing to do so they started to play a game they created "Chardee MacDennis: The Game of Games."

I like the mindy project, but the opening theme is annoying and the music is bad.

I was hoping that you would talk about last week episode of Boardwalk Empire, I guess it was the episode of the week. I hope that you'll talk about it " or at least mention it " because next week will be the season finale.
Next season on Two and a Half Men - Peter Dinklage becomes Jon Cryer's live-in-lover.
Idea: You could group all of the comedies of the week into a WTF/FTW style piece with short bits on each new episode from different writers and compile them all together at the end of the week...
Staff
Oh, sure, spread out the comedies but I do ALL of the kid-centric + crossover animation shows! I'm unionizing if that happens. Freelancers can unionize, right?
Trainings going great, thoughtful! How do you like the new featured players on SNL?
Since you talk about he opening credits of "the mindy project" and features you used to write and forgot, how about those pieces about opening credits of new shows? i really enjoyed them last year
Staff
Last year we did them over Thanksgiving week, but we couldn't get to them in time this year. On the calendar for January!!
This got me thinking about how much of a difference a great opening theme can make. I'm not saying it reflects the quality of the show, but it certainly adds to the experience, at least for me.

When it comes to this, Fringe really gets it. Their thematic intros are great. I remember how excited I was when I watched "Peter" for the first time and that 1985 intro started playing. Game of Thrones has an unskippable intro as well. Oh, and I like how on The Walking Dead, the song starts playing before the credits roll. It's a nice little touch.

It's too bad that most of the shows I watch this year don't have full intros. Yeah, I know, it's not that big of a deal... I guess I just really like theme songs.
Theme songs and opening titles are incredibly important to a show. It's the constant thing that reminds you how much you love the show. I once had to watch Dawson's Creek with the wrong song as the theme, and it was horrible, I had to skip it every time. Which reminds me of Homeland, which has an awful title sequence and it sort of lets down the whole experience of starting up the show...
Hehe, your comment about the Dawson's Creek opening theme song reminds me of something when I was younger:
I've probably watched less than five episodes of Dawson's Creek (and even then, it was only because I had a crush on Katie Holmes at the time) but I remember when I saw an episode and the opening theme wasn't "I Don't Want to Wait" and it was some other song. Despite the fact that I wasn't a fan of the show, I was OUTRAGED. I was like "WTF IS THIS?!"
Anybody else notice that the writers on this site don't like ANY shows on network tv. Every once in awhile, they'll give a nod to a cable show that most people don't even get. These guys need to receive an emmy, oscar... or some kinda award for best portrayals of writers!
I've seen positive reviews for Person of Interest, Fringe (maybe more-so in previous seasons), uhhh... Grimm... Last Resort... a bunch of shows on the CW like The Vampire Diaries, Arrow, and Supernatural... I think Elementary and Touch get mixed reviews (so sometimes positive)... Those are all the network dramas I can think of that I read reviews for (except TVD). Then there's a bunch of network sitcoms that frequently get love by the writers here.

I think that view gets distorted because of the dislike some (or all, I don't know) of the writers (usually Tim) have of the high-concept network shows, like Revolution this year, and Alcatraz, Terra Nova, etc. before it.

But yes, aside from a couple good network dramas, I'd strongly argue that the best dramas are on cable.
Staff
I hate Dana from Homeland.
The Walking Dead is great this season.
Always Sunny is a shell of itself these past two seasons. Sad.
I hate it when I see the name of an actor who was supposed to make a surprise appearance in the credits. It's very rare these days that an actor's name doesn't get shown. Why is that? Are the producers afraid they will get sued by the actor if they don't show his name? Or maybe the producers think that most people don't know actors by name unless it's Brad Pitt or George Clooney or somebody, so showing them the name won't spoil anything anyway.
I think Price explained that it's probably a legal thing that has to be done...
Hey guys, another awesome podcast! (Jen's "Whatdyadidn't" killed me for some reason!) You three seem to have a really great rapport. I can just picture you all sitting around a coffee shop diner table, dishing about life and starting weird "master of your own domain" contests. There are several questions/comments I'd like to make, so I'll dive right in:

Commenting system upgrades:

The improvements are absolutely fantastic. Notifications have been on many a commenters wish list for a very long time and you guys delivered this Christmas present early. Being able to sort by "latest" and by "popularity" is a neat feature. I was going to comment on the generic "so-and-so replied to your comment on a news article", but Jen already addressed that. I was also going to talk about the small text box, but as I sit here writing this it is expanding so I can see my entire comment. You guys are clearly working through the bugs in a timely manner. Now there's only one glitch (well, technically two, but they're connected) I need to bring up: Deleted comments and not being able to comment at all. Several of my past comments have been deleted. I've noticed a few others are having similar issues. You post a comment, it goes up on the forum, it's still there 2 hours later, then you go back the next day and it's gone. Personally, I've also experienced the frustration of not being able to post a comment at all. I've tried to post a comment, it looks as though its gone up on the forum, then you refresh the page and its gone. You post it again, refresh, gone. It's a rare and sporadic thing, but it happens. Are you guys aware of this? It's not THAT big of a deal because it doesn't happen very often, but when it does, you get kind of bummed out (especially if the comment took you some time to write). But all in all the commenting system upgrades have been wonderful additions. Kudos!

The Walking Dead:

As a fan of the comics, I almost couldn't watch the scene with the Governor and Maggie. I had no idea how far the show was going to take it. I just kept screaming, "Not Maggie! Not Maggie! NOT MAGGIE!" I don't think there have been many other times when I was so relieved a television show DIDN'T go there. I have NEVER in my life been described as squeamish, but the possibility of Maggie getting raped made me sick to my stomach. TWD deserves huge props for evoking such an emotional reaction, and for brain-fucking us comic book readers into thinking the Governor might actually do it.

Homeland:

I've always liked Dana. Her phone conversation with Brody in the season 1 finale was one of the best moment's of the series. I don't really get all the hate. She's a screwed up teenager with a screwed up life. OF COURSE she's moody and bitchy sometimes. But I did like it when Mike put her in her place.
Also, did anyone else notice the Tim Horton's coffee they were all greedily gulping down? That cracked me right up! Even the CIA loves Timmies!

Fringe: (Of Course)

If you only respond to one thing in this exceedingly long comment (Tim), I hope it's this one. It has to do with all the September theories flying around the Fringeosphere (yes, I just made that up). A LOT of people are speculating that Peter is actually September. I listed quite a few discrepancies for this theory in my one of my Fringe comments, and I don't think it's very plausible. But I'd love to get your thoughts on the matter. I also threw out another crazy theory that the Observer boy Walter hid in his pocket universe could be the young September. I've got nothing to back this up, but it makes more sense in my mind than the Peter = September theories.

Okay, that's it! Thanks!
The only comments that should be disappearing are the super annoying...

"My friend's cousin's mother-in-law Rita has been out of a job for 123 months, but last month her check was $76543 just working on the internet."
I agree with that "comments disappearing" glitch. As you said, it's not a major problem, but it does happen every now and then. For example, a few hours ago I wrote a lengthy response to a comment on this article. A few minutes later it was gone, and I don't feel like writing it again. It happens to me maybe 3-4 times a month, so it's not a big issue, but of course an annoying one.

The notifications are a big plus, though. So is the fact that you have just turned the comment box into an expanding one. The one with only two rows was really infuriating.
Thanks for the feedback guys! We'll definitely take a look into the disappearing comments issue, so feel free to point out more cases as they come up.
Michonne is awesome when she slashes and stabs zombies, and shakes her booty, but that's it. When she opens her mouth she instantly stops being awesome, and becomes annoying. At least until the next fight scene.
Angus T. Jones has been making tons of money from starring in this "filth". He should give all that money to the sick and poor. He's clearly been brainwashed by some religious nutjobs.
How about having Tim (and Price or Jen or possible guest if you watch it) talk a bit about Sons of Anarchy next week? The season finale should be airing before you record the podcast.
Your podcasts are just getting longer. Now you broke the one hour mark. Not that I have anything against it, but is it something you have consciously been working towards? Is it that you have gotten practice on this and are therefore more comfortable going on for a longer time?
I had to stop watching The Mindy Project after its fifth episode. The show wasn't particularly bad, but it wasn't funny enough for me to make up for that HORRRRRRRIBLE opening credits song. OMG I hate that song. If a genie gave me 3 wishes, I would waste one on transforming that song into a man so that I may punch him in the face, and not even care if the genie made him twice my size.

I still consider myself an avid Always Sunny fan, but I'm in the group that many others seem to be in where after every passing season, I like the show a little less and less. It used to be EASILY my favorite comedy on TV and I remember during its first season how adamently I recommended it to all my friends -- even the ones I knew didn't watch TV. I kept telling them it was the funniest thing in the world... they kept ignoring or neglecting my recommendation... then a few years later a few of them tell me that they love the show and that I should watch it. I then, of course, murder them. That's how much I loved it. Now, it's a little too much yelling and screaming... and they fell prey to what happens with virtually all sitcoms: the characters became caricatures of their worst qualities. I'd still say it's my fifth or sixth favorite sitcom, but I stand by my opinion that it's regressed significantly since season 3 or so.

I've also been a supporter of Dana in Homeland. I've never hated the character or the actress, and I've defended her to haters before. But I kind of smiled during this past episode when Mike basically told her to shut up. Her complaining about having to leave the house may have been the first time I kind of disliked Dana... I know she's stressed out and her father is currently out of her favor, but uh, there are certain situations where you just need to grow up.
We have pretty much exactly the same opinion on Dana. I read your comment after I posted mine, so it's actually kind of freaky.
WTF? Saul and Carrie talk about what they know about Quinn, and they put Virgil and the other guy to investigate him. It was a couple of episode ago.
EXACTY!
FTW: Klaus WTF: Elena's Choice...couldn't care less!!!
Love the podcast guys. Keep it up.

• 8:00 pm