TV.com's Weekly Podcast: Totally Tubular! Episode 011 (AUDIO)

Get ready for a TV avalanche: This week resident scholar and wunderkind Cory Barker joins the gang to discuss SO MUCH TV. Press play below (or subscribe on iTunes!) to hear our musings and enthusings on the following hot topics:

... TV.com commenter shout-outs, touching on good and terrible opening sequences including Game of Thrones' and Homeland's, the notion of an hour-long comedies, and more! (02:08)

... The Season 3 finale of Boardwalk Empire! (16:55)

... Dexter! (21:47)

... Gossip Girl! (30:05)

... The Season 5 finale of Sons of Anarchy! (41:30)

... Last week's episode of The Vampire Diaries! (51:45)

... The mid-season finale of The Walking Dead! (1:01:22)

... Sunday's "controversial" episode of Homeland! (1:07:00)

... Plus more! [SPOILERS ABOUND]

Hey! Is there anything YOU want us to chat about next week? Please leave any topics or suggestions in the comments below!

PREVIOUSLY...

Totally Tubular! Podcast 001 – September 28, 2012
Totally Tubular! Podcast 002 – October 6, 2012
Totally Tubular! Podcast 003 – October 10, 2012
Totally Tubular! Podcast 004 – October 17, 2012
Totally Tubular! Podcast 005 – October 24, 2012
Totally Tubular! Podcast 006 – October 31, 2012
Totally Tubular! Podcast 007 – November 7, 2012
Totally Tubular! Podcast 008 – November 14, 2012
Totally Tubular! Podcast 009 – November 20, 2012
Totally Tubular! Podcast 010 – November 28, 2012

Love this podcast!! One show that I would love to be touched on (if even just for a brief moment) would be Secret Life of the American Teenager. And its not because I enjoy the show, i actively hate it, but it has really pulled in some downright CRIMINAL storylines. I know it was never good but it used to be fun to watch because of its stupidity. Now its just... awful. (At one point, all of the students at the school believed that because a characters mother was gay... the character must then be gay. (even though another character already had a confirmed gay mother)) Another storyline had to do with a PIMP just roaming a college campus recruiting girls and being creepy. Thats just the tip of the iceberg. Anyways, no one really talks about it and the show is ending and i am so happy because it makes me so angry. (Not as angry as Gossip Girl as of late but still VERY angry)
I just want to echo most of the commenters' sentiments below: more Cory! He's an excellent addition to the podcast.
cory cory cory please come join these guys more often!!! I know you need to study but procrastinating's not that bad, trust me ;) and thank you and price for the long genuine constructive rant/discussion on tvd! again, this should happen more often..
I didn't know where else to share this, so I'll just do it here.
I've just finished watching episode 7 of Animal Practice, and in one scene, around the 10:30 mark, I saw Danny Pudi from Community sitting in the background! I know both shows have the save monkey in it, but other than that I'm not sure what the appearance might signify, except that it was fun and maybe we'll see some Animal Practice actors in a new episode of Community, Cougar Town style :D
Two words: Cory. Barker.
Love this podcast because of the length, in-depth discussions and because it had CORY BARKER! Is it possible for him to be on the podcast more 'cause he makes things more interesting not that you guys already do. :)
hour long comedy: Ed.

No one remembers this show, nor can you find it anywhere, but Ed was fantastic and hilarious.
Can you discuss your reasoning behind your "best of" picks? (I don't dissagree I'm just currious)
And also, didn't Tim review Gossip Girl at one point? It was a while back, and I don't remember which season exactly, but those were laugh out loud funny, more fun than watching the episodes! I remember him calling the characters by nicknames and hinting at Eric always being sad, alone and forgotten somewhere (it was when Eric and Jenny were still on the show).
I love love love The O.C., it was absolutely the show of my generation (I'm 23 now, but it was still awesome when I rewatched it), and even though I'm not American and torrented it as new episodes aired, it still amazes me how relatable the setting, stories and characters were, especially for a teen show, which tend to be over dramatic and cartoonish a lot of the time. The show transcended borders and cultural barriers, which is part of the reason why, to me, it's just objectively better than Gossip Girl, which never managed to make it's characters likable, relatable or interesting. I rooted for Seth Cohen, I do not root for Dan. Thank you Cory for participating in the podcast, and I look forward to hearing from you again, especially on topics that you've been so great at covering, like the TV's and the networks' future, for example.
loved cory here, hope he can be in the podcast again!!
More Cory please! I really loved his insights in this podcast. Man, as soon as Tim asked Cory about the impact of gossip girl on his peers and generation, the first thing I thought of was no...not gossip girl the show of my generation was The O.C. then he said it and I was in completeeee agreement. Did not care about gossip girl, but man if you go back and re-watch the O.C. again....brilliant stuff. Please dedicate an entire podcast to The O.C. haha
I'm not American, so what shows we had were the ones our small and not yet rich networks could purchase. So there was a lot of Xena and Hercules :D
But one channel had Friends. So for me and a lot of my friends around my age (around 23) Friends was THAT show. I myself rewatched the entire series many times and many of my peers saw it as well. We still throw in a quote from Friends once in a while - that shows really has a quote for every situation
Oh man same, friends is a big one. I think I'm one of the few people within my group that hasn't seen/own the entire box set of Friends. It's been on my 'to watch' list for quite some time.
I have some gems of TV and film also on my to-watch list that have been there for a very long time. Like Lost, Shawshank Redemption and man others. I'm just waiting for the right time, which apparently never comes :D
Staff
Thanks for the kind words. And you don't know how many times I've gone back and re-watched The OC.
I love your Podcasts guys! :D
I think we can dedicate an entire podcast to dissecting the O.C. I can remember making fun of my co-workers (we we're all university co-ops at the same firm), for watching that show. They ended up buying me the first season on DVD like a week before season 2 came out. I promised them I would watch it, but was definitely dreading it. HOLY CRAP was I wrong! First season of the O.C. is INSANELY good television. I think Hallelujah was my favourite song for like a year after that. Season 2 is better than people give it credit for. I still really enjoyed it. Season 3 and 4. Well we all know what happens in season 3 and 4. Highlights, season 3, Volchek, Marissa dies!!. Season 4, KEVIN SORBO!!, and the last episode were the gay couple turns out to be a midwife and a wedding planner. Funniest thing ever, right after his partner delivers the baby, when they're like "I don't suppose you know a wedding planner" and he's shyly puts up his hand and says "actually...." I DIED!
But Kevin Sorbo, how did you feel about Season 3 and 4?
Kevin Sorbo: "DISSAPOINTED!!!"
Staff
I will defend The OC until I die, but S3 is a horrible disaster. There are great moments in it though (Ryan punching the school official, the lock in, the mall episode, the finale).
On the subject of opening sequences, I love the Veronica Mars, Walking Dead and Chuck title sequences. All very unique and different.
Veronica Mars seasons 1 & 2. I kind of hated season 3's >:(
I also definitely agree about Walking Dead!
I think I'm in the minority but I actually liked the 3rd season's opening title sequence. It had a sleek feel to it. But yeah, TWD's title sequence is awesome.
Wasn't Chuck an hour long comedy?
It was a dramedy. I don't even know if that word even exists. But yeah, Chuck was a great show despite all the bad writing in the later seasons.
I use that word too. But yea, I guess it was quite dramatic too.
Very fun podcast! Was someone counting coins at some point though???

I can see that Cory brought a touch of 'brutality' to the podcast. Price and Jen usually mostly politely express their dislikes about a show and then Tim makes a ridiculous and hilarious comment (Hour long comedy - Revolution - Haha!), but Cory even made metaphors and shit to express him not liking something. Loved it! :D
Seriously, it sounded like someone was shuffling poker chips the entire podcast.
as DavidJackson8 pointed out, now that I read down through the rest of the comments.
Staff
It might have also been because including me required some different tech set-up. Cross-country Skyping is not always the easiest, y'all.
The idea that someone was counting coins or playing poker throughout the podcast was more amusing, haha :)
So, quick question (which I believe has been brought up previously): are there plans to bring back the daily Open Caption contest? Those were tons of fun!
Nice podcast!
I like that you guys cover Dexter this time. I hear many negative comments about Dexter previous seasons, or this season, side characters, or plots and stories. But wait: we are many in the world (I live in Norway) that love Dexter as it is, including some of the other characters as Masuka, Sgt Batista, Sgt Doaks, Frank Landi, Jamie Batista, Harry, Lumen and of course Debra. Let’s not forget the bad guys, as The Ice Truck Killer, the dark Lila West, The Trinity Killer, and of course Issac Sirko.
Yes, season 6 was bad, boring, terrible. We forgive it. But Dexter is almost always entertaining, intense, and yes, funny.
Yes, there are dull people and boring side’s stories, but any TV series has some of it. Even Madman. But I think many of you don’t understand that many of us see Dexter as a partially dark comedy, or noir comedy show. You compare Dexter with Batman, being Dexter a really bad psycho bad, bad person. But Batman has no humor, and Dexter has, lots of humor. Try this: record and listen only to the sound of one of the episodes from the first 4 seasons, or the ones with Debra and Dexter in this last season, or the ones when Dexter talks to Frank Lundi, whatever, just listen only to the sound on your Iphone, mobile, Ipod… and tell me you don’t laugh, many times. Because I do, and I know others do too. Even the intro has this black humor all over. It makes me smile.
Will Debra kill Dexter? No, I cannot see that happening. (will soon get the answer).
Will Dexter kill Debra? No, not even in his darkest place. He loves her.
Will Dexter change and be better in next season? No
Will Debra, if still alive, change and join Dexter in his dark path in next season? Why not, we have often seen she is a bit of a psycho and do have her own dark sides.

Now, something else. I like the question of why comedies last at the most half hour. I have just watched Episodes season 1 and 2 and I like it a lot. What do you think about it? I am interested to hear your comments on next podcast if possible.
This is the best podcast yet! Thanks guys.
The Homeland intro's not great but I don't think it's abysmal.
I like the Michonne motivation speculation, I think Price's theory about her Andrea fixation is by no means certain. The most literal interpretation would be that she saw he had a bag headed captive so when she went back she went straight for the captive to rescue it, finding the tanks and the subsequent fight was by no means inevitable but clearly there is still an element of her needing to give the Governor his comeuppance as well.
For hourlong comedies I don't think we've ever seen any that didn't have a procedural element. Ally McBeal was a strong example of a comedy serial. I have no real issue with Glee being classified as a comedy, although it's not maintained the level of humour it had early on. I see no reason why there couldn't be a pure one hour comedy, just no one has been audacious enough to try it yet.
Hey PRICE I was really enjoying your Veronica Mars Dossiers and was wondering if you were planning on continuing on to the third and final season. Also, have you or any of your other contributors gotten into the BBC show Hunted?
Hunted is crazy! Definitely needs a recap each week or a flowchart or something....crazy tangled web of plot lines! Also more VM would be brilliant.
I gotta ask (and this could be a topic you can talk about in the next podcast), what mid-season shows are you guys looking forward to? and PRICE, are you gonna be recapping CULT?! (P.S. Would love it if you can but if you can't, then it's alright. :))
Staff
I want to review Cult so bad, but it might really require Price's talents instead of mine.
I would love it if you recapped Cult if you want since you write great articles (and I'm not saying this to be nice but because it's the truth). I don't care who recaps it as long as Cult will be reviewed.
I would love it if you would recap Cult if you want since you always write such great articles (and I'm not saying this to be nice because I'm telling the truth). But I don't care who reviews it as long as Cult will be reviewed.
Photo Recaps!
I can see how one would hate the Homeland opening sequence. It's not written to be pleasant. The harmonies, sounds and voices are there to make you feel uneasy, paranoid, under pressure - like Carrie herself. So I think it's really daring and I like what they tried.
I totally agree with you. But up until the point were dialogue from the pilot is introduced.
I never looked that closely at the sequence before this podcast, so the guys ruined it a bit for me, but I still like it :)
Yeah right. A show should never use actual material from the pilot for the opening sequence. Homeland suffers from that choice like other shows who took that decision. It's by far not perfect - but as I said: I like the idea and the direction.
The best thing to do when marathoning a show (especially 90s showes) is to make up a harmony part to the theme song, that you cultivate over the course of watching it (Friends, 7th Heaven, Dawson's). Or better, if the show has an opining with no music (ER, 30 Rock, Bewitched, Bonanza) and try and create the dumbest worded theme song that list things about the show and try and make the actors names fit in there. But the WORST EVER TITLE SEQUENCE hands down is Friday Night Lights. It is like those people went out of there way to make sure there is a close up shot of every actors face, and then made extra sure an actors name showed up and disappeared with an actors face, but never, ever, ever was an actors name shown at the same time or near the same time as their face. So like Zach Gilford's name would show up under a short video of say Connie Britton. It made no sense.
I am in complete agreement over the Homeland opening, like everyone it seems. I'm very tired of the sound bites and that flash of Obama bothers me everytime, just because he doesn't fit into that world. I know you guys don't talk about it too much, but I sing along with the opening to Treme every episode I watch, and same goes with The Wire when it was on. Maybe David Simon shows just have it nailed down?
I'm glad you mentioned Dexter too, because ever since season one, I've thought the supporting characters (and actors) who play them, are awful. I have a theory amongst my friends that they used their whole talent budget on Michael C. Hall (rightfully so) and just picked the rest up cheap. I am one of the few who despises Deb and Jennifer Carpenter.
I did a re-watch of The O.C. in the last year and it held up very well. I'm glad Ryan is on a new show. Speaking of, will you be covering Southland? It's an amazing show.
You despise Deb? Blasphemy! For her cursing alone she deserves admiration :D
Can't agree more about the Homeland opening. It is bad in so many ways. However, I am glad the show actually has one. I wish all shows did cause I really miss the themes songs of old. (Working my way through Six Feet Under, love the intro, and don't even skip it on my DVDs). And of the talking opening sequences, they do get annoying kind of, but I really like the Person of Interest one. It isn't that long, and Michael Emerson's voice is amazing.
I like Breaking Bad's intro. It is the only show were I appreciate the short intro so that there can more Walter and Jesse in my life.
What shows are you going to cover in January ?

Boardwalk Empire season 3 finale was great, and the scene were Richard took out Gyp's men was AWESOME!

Dexter has the worst supporting character in TV. They're not interesting at all, and I don't care what happen to them. But Dexter is one of my favorite shows and Michael C. Hall is doing a great job on the show.

I'm glad that you talked about Sons of Anarchy. This season was good and there were a lot of surprises.

I didn't like this season of The Vampire Diaries. Last season was more interesting with The Originals stuff. But this season I can't think of anything interesting.

I liked The Walking Dead mid-season finale. I was relieved when they saved Maggie and Glenn.

What's the best sitcom on TV ? (in your opinion)
Speaking of opening sequences . . . Teen Wolf season 2 has the best one. Its sexy and dark and really sets the mood. (season 1 just had a boring title card, they definitely have raised the opening sequence bar)
So I'm not into reality TV, but I'm currently obsessed with Catfish, Total Blackout and Killer Karaoke. How do you guys feel about reality TV?
Staff
What in the BLUE HELL is Killer Karaoke?

Total Blackout is my jam, though.
Staff
Boardwalk Empire/Dexter are two of my favorite shows. Cory does a great job with the reviews. Glad he was invited to talk about them.

SOA s5 finale was good. Not great.

The Walking Dead mid-season finale was great. Plenty of action, drama, plot development and ass-kicking.

Homeland does have the absolute worst intro. Great show though.
Appreciate it.
well yay for the longer podcast for starters, and thank you for answering my comment. I get you're all thinking of the half-hour as a way to have sharp comedy I guess?.. oh, and psych might be a comedy first, yes, but it HAS to put some procedural elements in it to be an hour long right? good one Tim, Revolution is actually starting to feel like a parody of sorts. btw teenagers weeping and singing and mingling and vomiting (synopsis of Glee) is a mess that should NOT be called a comedy!!!
Was someone playing online poker while recording the podcast? I don't know why, but the idea of that makes me giggle.
Someone also declined a call from their mom probably
Staff
I think that was me, I was trying to click something and it was producing a noise.
Great Podcast! Have a question... Are you forced to review some shows? Like Revolution
My guess would be that there aren't any shows the site itself HAS to review, but they do kind of have to review shows like Revolution just because of the huge number of viewers the show and the articles themselves are likely to get. The person reviewing the show sometimes seems forced though... I think they try to get writers who are fans of the show to write about them, but if there aren't any employed writers who are fans of a popular show, I think they force Tim or Price to reluctantly watch and write about it, hehe.
yeah...was thinking the same
"Choice! The boy has not a real choice, has he? Self-interest, the fear of physical pain drove him to that grotesque act of self-abasement"
It's a comedy that glee still thinks it's a comedy. So many tears have been shed.
Are you going to keep this podcasts on Wednesday? Or are you going to move it back to thursday and talk about AHS?
My teen shows were maybe Dawson's Creek (because of my older sister), and then subsequently The OC and One Tree Hill. I think the first season of The OC is maybe the perfect example of teen drama, but I may be over-nostalgia-ing (or an actual word that means that) it...
Love the Opening Title conversation. Homeland DOES have the worst intro titles! I thought I was the only one who thought that. And very good point Price about marathoning a show will tell you how much you like the intro titles. I'm tired of Dexters and True Bloods. And I thought all of GOT season 1 had the same titles for the whole season.
My teen show was 90210 and Melrose, though I loved the OC. I re-watched it a year ago. Chrismukkah lives! The end of Chuck was also phoned in. We now have a pattern Josh Schwartz.
Yeah the Vampire Diaries is getting hard. We don't need triple Maguffins. sigh
And with Homeland, they seem to acknowledge President Obama is in office, but they have a different VP for tv purposes. I didn't hate this Homeland ep as much as others. Deadliest virus since Independence Day. Good one Price.
Ima defend the Homeland intro. It's not great or anything but I see it an attempt to show Carrie's seemingly disjointed thoughts. In that light, it's not really that bad
I think that there are three kinds of tv shows: The ones that want to entertain us, the ones that want to make us think about stuff and the ones trying to do both. So it depends on what kind of show you're watching to judge the show itself and the show's intro. Because you can't judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree (to quote Einstein). And while Homeland is trying to do both, for me it's still one of the trying-to-make-us-think-shows. And if you look at it from this perspective, the intro is really great and full of metaphors and thoughts that also make it into the episodes, for example when Brody meets Carrie at the CIA in episode four of this season. Brody was looking through a wall at Carrie, like a wall of the maze in the intro and that's when they found each other in there, (again). And the tune of the show is like the Jazz composition, improvised actions (Brody killing the tailor), with turns and twists, repeats, but in the end always making its way back to the start. And as another reviewer with much apropos put it: Is this show about a maze of conspiracy and terrorism in which our characters are thrown, trying to make sense of it all or about the cul-de-sacs in the minds of our characters, that they seem to hit again and again, in the attempt to escape themselves and finding a way out of the overwrought state of their minds, insanity and confusion.
More +
Dats a Good way 2 look at it, I like dat
I kind of understand the point of it and I can see the, uh, artistic vision (?) of it... but I still can't stand to watch it anymore. I watch Homeland on my computer after it airs, so luckily, I have the opportunity to skip ahead of it.

With that said, I also probably wouldn't like a show such as Homeland to have TOO catchy a song for an opening title sequence. I can't imagine it with a Dexter-like or Hawaii-Five-0-ish song to start it off. I guess I'd prefer a cool quick one, kind of like Breaking Bad, maybe.
I'm so glad to hear from Cory Barker. I enjoy his articles and tweets. But tell Scrooge McDuck needs to stop counting his money while you're recording the podcast.
Thanks!
Staff
I must have really loved the Homeland opening sequence since I never skipped it when watching on DVD. (I do actually like it. But clearly I'm the worst.)
Don't worry, you're not alone :) The sequence is great up until the dialogue from the pilot.
I always get sick of opening sequences that are longer than a minute. But Homeland is definitely the worst right now. The "royalty free jazz music" reference from Price had me rolling.
Staff
I have zero problem with long opening sequences, but I also watch a fair amount of anime, and those opening sequences are always at least a minute long, often two.

And I disagree about the "royalty free jazz music" notion since, well, I enjoy Tomasz Stanko's work. Terrific trumpeter.
"Terrific trumpeter."
Staff
I take back my concern for your well-being that I expressed last night.