TV.com's Weekly Podcast: Totally Tubular! Episode 012 (AUDIO)

The programming schedule may be slowing down but we sure ain't! Press play below (or subscribe on iTunes!) to hear our watercooler chat about the following hot topics:

... TV.com's recent technical difficulties! (01:01)

... TV.com's Best of 2012 nominees! (07:03)

... TV.com commenter shout-outs! (17:42)

... Which midseason shows we're excited about! (19:15)

... We wonder aloud why so many readers hate reality show coverage! (41:00)

... Homeland! (46:30)

... The Vampire Diaries! (1:00:35)

... American Horror Story: Asylum! (1:04:14)

... Last week's spanking on The Big Bang Theory! (1:04:40)

... Plus more! [SPOILERS ABOUND]

Hey! Is there anything YOU want us to chat about next week? Please leave any topics or suggestions in the comments below!

PREVIOUSLY...

Totally Tubular! Podcast 001 – September 28, 2012
Totally Tubular! Podcast 002 – October 6, 2012
Totally Tubular! Podcast 003 – October 10, 2012
Totally Tubular! Podcast 004 – October 17, 2012
Totally Tubular! Podcast 005 – October 24, 2012
Totally Tubular! Podcast 006 – October 31, 2012
Totally Tubular! Podcast 007 – November 7, 2012
Totally Tubular! Podcast 008 – November 14, 2012
Totally Tubular! Podcast 009 – November 20, 2012
Totally Tubular! Podcast 010 – November 28, 2012
Totally Tubular! Podcast 011 – November 28, 2012

O.K. I see what you are saying about the Friday Night Lights theme being beautiful and representative and tear-inducing. And I totally agree, I'm probably going to dance to that song with my dad on my wedding night one day, because we watched it together and it was fantastic. But if the themes main purpose was really to set the tone and not to introduce the actors than they should have left the actors names out, or matched their names to their close-ups, which that's my main gripe, is that they actually have close-ups of pretty much the whole cast, so I just don't know why they can't have the faces match the names, or run the names at the bottom and focus on more images of the town and the football team or even just shots with like three people in them or groups. It just feels like one editor was told to find really awesome close-up shots of each cast member, another was told to find shots that represented the town and the school, a third one randomly pieced them together, a fourth put it to music and slowed some shots down and some not so it would fit the music, and then a fifth person added the names in, in the order of like importance and the billing order is fine, but it sort of also feels like that fifth person thought that the names were in the order of the pictures and he incorrectly tried to match them up. Like Scott Porters name is in front of a great close-up of Minka Kelly, and Ammie Teagarden's name is plastered under a Tylor Kitsch close-up.And it gets worse the second season, because like instead of the names and faces just overlapping, alot of the names flash on at the same time as a close up, like they really are supposed to be matched up but aren't. Jesse Plemons name seems to always overlap with his profile a little though. Anyway, rant over.
Is there a translator button you can put in the Best Horror/Supernatural Series Category since more than half of the comments is in a language that I don't understand.
Love this podcast! Thanks guys for answering my questions. I'm really excited for Cult and the pilot can't be that bad when compared to BATB's. Oh and Tim, the actress who played Jo (great character) from SPN and Meg from VM is Alona Tal. Glad that TSC was included in the poll despite its cancellation and I def agree with Price that it isn't fair to group all those supernatural-type shows under sci-fi/fantasy. And I also think that it isn't fair that those shows always gets snubbed in the Emmy's and Golden Globes. They don't even have their own category! Thank god for the PCA's... #VoteForTVD
I actually started watching the Bachelorette that Lily covered just to see what she was writing about, because the recaps were hilarious! So yeah, that's just proof of how good recaps can surpass the quality of a show.
Jessica Capshaw does play Arizona and only one of Arizona's legs got amputated.

Also, on the Homeland tangent about writers sometimes doing skewed representations of places other than L.A., once I was watching a show where a character went to a college that I went to in real life. I was like did the writers even ever drive through that town? Took me out of the show.
I don't like reality shows mainly because they are not reality, but an augmented version of reality. Also they put actors and screenwriters out of work. The contest type shows such as American Idol, aren't as bad, but I still don't watch them because I'd rather hear professional singers than amateurs. Ironically, the show I watch that is the most like my reality is The Middle. I can so relate to Frankie.
Price, after your 37th mention of My So Called Life on previous podcasts, I started watching it. Two episodes in. Quite interesting, definitely want to see more.

Maybe do a recap like you did with Veronica Mars :)
When I marathoned Friday Night Lights I did fast forward through the intros and the sped up music had this awesome bluegrassy effect. I highly recommend.

Love the podcast and I'm hoping all the regular staffers will get their turns at the metaphorical table soon.
I like the podcasts too... but I found this week a little bit weaker than other weeks - Tim didn´t say anything at all and somehow it looked like only Jen had a structure of things to talk about prepared (85% Jen talking this week!). Not sure if that was the issue. But anyways, I always like to hear you guys. And I also think is a good idea to get the other writters in turns to have more variety of shows discussed.
Tim talking more would be good. Why don't you talk about Fringe Tim? If you remove the vhs scavenger hunts then every episode has some great moments.
If you remove the VHS scavenger hunts then there's almost nothing left.
Walter's Monty Python inspired LSD trip was one of the greatest sequences Fringe has ever done.

It deserves to be talked about!
Staff
Love that "Awake" is winning Best New Series

Only reality shows that are worth watching are competition/historical ones. With Undercover Boss being the one exception.

Welcome to the "Dana is Dumb" fraternity Tim. Price, keep fighting the good fight. Thinking that after this season, I am done with Homeland.

American Horror Story: Asylum, liked the first season, loving this season. Where the eff is Pepper?
I get that my little pony got such huge numbers. But is legend of korras numbers actually legit? If so, that's impressive. Price I'd recommend checking out a you tube series "know your meme". Super informative about bronies and other Internet memes. There's like over 9000 memes out there.
You know needs a better intro theme? Totally tubular podcast. Talk about royalty free intros.
I've already suggested 'Daybreak' by Michael Haggins...
Perfect! Community imprinted that song into my head.
They should use Homeland's royalty free jazz. I'm sure Price would love it.
PLEASE GO READ MY THEORY ABOUT NAZIR'S DEATH IN THE COMMENTS SECTION OF LAST HOMELAND EPISODE'S REVIEW. I wanna know if you guys agree or not
Hey guys? Who won the Dead Pool?
Not me & my pitiful 7 points. :)
Beats my 3. Congrats. :)
What happened to your Last Resort reviews!
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing! Could either Price or Tim cover the final few episodes? There are only maybe 3 left. I remember you mentioning coverage of Last Resort in one of the earlier podcasts, and which one of you will cover it, but then the racaps just stopped.
Yeah! We want answers!
Great podcast, people. Just so you know, this podcast is appreciated in southern Brazil. Luckily for me you usually talk about shows I watch (AHS, Homeland, The Walking Dead, Boardwalk Empire), and so I can even put up with some talk about The Vampire Diaries and I *almost* put up with Tim's Revolution bashing, which to me is a progress.

Now, I just wish I could figure out this site has never been able to load my avatar, and keeps using my Facebook picture, even though I never intended for that to happen. Oh, well...
I don't think I'd be interested anyway, but I guess I'm a little sour over Cult because I still wished that Hunger Games-esque show still would've gotten picked up. Price, were you looking forward to this at all? I know it was shameless pandering to Hunger Games fans, but it just sounded interesting. And after the (wrongful) cancellation of 10 Things I Hate About You, I was looking forward to some more Ethan Peck.
The Selection's being further developed meaning that you'll probably see it in the summer TV season. Also, I'm pretty sure that Cult will be great.
Argh! Why did you bring up the spanking on TBBT?! After a whole week I thought I had FINALLY gotten it out of my head, and now I'm picturing it again. Ugh. Euw. Hehe.

------------

Although I generally don't bash others for their tastes, I am one of those who generally hate on reality shows. Not all of them, because for a good portion of the late 1990s and early 2000s, I was a pretty big fan of reality and/or game shows and so I understand some of its appeal. Who Wants to be a Millionaire? and Survivor, for example, were shows that I watched very regularly for their first 5 or so seasons. So to judge others for liking reality shows is something I try to avoid. But, sometimes, I can't help it. And to be fair, I was a pre-teen when I started watching reality shows... crappy tastes are more excusable at that age.

For reality "game" shows, I'm usually okay with it -- like Millionaire, Survivor, Amazing Race, etc. But it's the reality shows that are prominent on E! or TLN, for example, that I really hate. I will seriously consider de-friend-ing someone if they told me they genuinely liked the Kardashians or Honey Boo Boo, and will actually de-friend them if they don't at least balance that out with some good scripted TV shows, hehe.

The talent-based reality shows are somewhere in the middle between games and uh, whatever the hell E! likes to show. On the one hand, I don't see the significant appeal of seeing some bum out in California "showing America" how good a singer he is, or seeing some flake from Ohio "showing America" how good a dancer she is. It doesn't do anything for me. On the other hand, seeing regular people showcase their talent is certainly more interesting than watching some housewives in any random city acting like bitches.

The biggest gripe I have with reality shows in general is that because of the large amount of viewers a lot of them get, it has such a big influence on networks to stop making scripted shows (which are usually costlier), even if they're pretty great, and go for the cheaper reality shows that get higher ratings, even if they're stupid. A large portion of the population really seem to like watching stupidity because it's... fun? Didn't Oh Sit! on the CW get renewed for a second season? Ugh. As someone who watches a LOT of TV shows -- 99% of which are scripted -- it gets frustrating over time to see genuinely well-written shows get canceled because their ratings aren't as high as a show about some slutty people acting like they're looking for love by being slutty in front of cameras.

I remember watching an interview with Billy West, who is an extremely talented voice-actor having worked on Futurama, Doug, Ren & Stimpy, some Looney Tunes, etc., where he talked about how he hated this trend of animated shows and movies just hiring celebrities to talk normally rather than actual voice-actors who really work hard at perfecting different characters with their voices. Of course, production companies and whoever continue to do this because they've found that there's a significant population of people who are more compelled to watch a certain animation JUST because some famous actor is lending their regular voice to it. I think West's opinion is very similar to the dislike some of us have for reality shows. A good scripted show generally requires good writing, good acting, good directing, good editors, etc. A popular reality show just requires some stupid C-list celebrity living their life or some random people trying to become famous by being slutty and/or drunk. Anyway, uh... *Gets off of high horse*
Don't talk smack about sytycd. It's an amazing show. Best reality show on tv. Face-off might challenge.
Might I suggest limiting voting to registered users?

Heh heh, bronies. Wait, Price, how could you not know about bronies? My Transformers fan buddies have been way into My Little Pony for a while now, before the "brony" thing came out, before the new show even. I suspect because the original MLP was written by the same writers as the G1 Transformers and GI Joe cartoons, and they took storytelling quite seriously - those writers actually fought Hasbro in the '80s to make proper dramatic stoytelling methods rather than just have them prance and play every episode. I can't believe I know that much about this, I'm not at all a brony.

TIM, Y U SO LOUD??? Also, we can hear you breathing at times, move the mic away a bit.

Including Secret Circle and Awake confirmed to me that you guys were focusing on the whole of 2012, that came through.

I guess you should split fantasy shows up based on viewership, it's "genre" only until a large variety of people are watching it, then it's not niche anymore by definition.

Jen, Alphas is also a superhero show. Sadly, Alphas and Arrow are the ONLY superhero shows now on TV that aren't cartoons.

Stop, stop, you're ruining the magic, don't explain to us how you make the podcast! You're not all sitting around a table drinking whiskey in a giant conference room office overlooking CBS television city? (Because that's the only TV network building worth comment in Hollywood, not because the site is now owned by CBS Viacom Paramount Whatever. Then again, there are no tall buildings until you get to Sunset blvd which is quite far away.)

Tim, you just got me to laugh out loud re: The Carrie Diaries. Don't murder yourself though, but if you do, make sure you put that on your suicide note, make sure it gets published in all the newspapers, do a service for humanity if you're going out like dat.

In no way am I surprised at your reactions to 1600 Penn, that looks like dog vomit, lazy sitcom junk at its worst, and Josh Gad really needs a strong director to dial back his more annoying comedic acting style.

That's cute that you think Joe Schmo won't suck.

Thank you, Price, for calling midseason grim, great honesty and totally true.

I hear ya on Catfish, though I didn't see the movie. I don't know that I believe the show is fake, these guys are bumbling their way through this so awkwardly and saying all the wrong, dumb things trying to "help" the situation. Nev, the "star", seems genuine to me... genuinely bad at handling this situation each and every time. (My 15-year-old niece makes me watch this show, I'm the only one with MTV and DVR.)

I thought you weren't covering Hawaii Five-0 because it's dreadful pap. Jen, you guys also sometimes cover The Good Wife, How I Met Your Mother, and 2 Broke Girls, right?

Re: reality shows, I'm not a noisemaker about that issue, but there's a damned good reason why those shows don't have reruns more than a week after they air - they are the McDonalds hamburgers of TV, they have no nutritional value, they might taste good when you need something cheap and filling now, but are empty and hollow and when you break them down they taste awful (seriously, buy a McD's hamburger with nothing on it, worst thing you ever put in your mouth, hard to believe they sold a billion of these bitter little pieces of brine-soaked cardboard). So you guys end up putting more effort into breaking down the reality TV than anyone actually puts into producing it, or even viewing it. It's like assigning site resources to covering a busy intersection - sure there's sometimes drama in a car wreck, people arguing, an ambulance passing through, but ultimately you're writing about people in cars and buses on their way to going to other things from the perspective of just one intersection. I get it that those articles grow the site appeal, but I can also see why folks get upset over site resources focusing on that stuff.

Skip skip skip (I don't watch Homeland, Vampire Diaries, AHS), and now we're at the grotesque Big Bang Theory spanking talk. Yes, that is a weird segue, but whatevs, it was a weird scene. And I was one saying it should have been implied rather than outright shown, it was just an ugly scene to watch and stole dignity for everybody involved.

Ok, so thanks for the podcast, that was fun I suppose. Good job, I'm not usually a podcast guy but that was alright. And then that goofy music at the end though. Ha ha, now you had the option of fast-forwarding through a ton of MY comments! ;-)
I hope this is true and the bots/scripts are now not able to vote in the polls anymore - it takes out the fun for many of us, really
Super funny podcast! Tips for aspiring actors were great :)
Who's alarm went off?

P.S. Jen: "I get down on that". That's what she said.
I think it was Jen's iPhone alarm, Price and then Tim were talking when you could hear someone scramble to turn it off and neither sounded distracted by that action. I should totally have my own CBS procedural.
If you'll include a cool dog, I'll watch it.
I can only speak for myself here, but I don't like reality shows and I also don't like them because they still get better ratings than most good fictional shows and I don't want the networks to fill up their schedules with those shows like NBC is doing it with The Voice right now! Furthermore: Reality shows are (most of the time) pretty easy and cheap to make, but to really bring out an awesome show like (impo) Fringe, Homeland, Justified or Last Resort, that takes a lot of effort and creativity (and money). So I always have this dystopian future in my head that reality shows (or just bad scripted shows) will take over television and in a couple of years there'll be no or very little good tv shows left.
So I think that that fear could be one reason for those comments. But I have to stress out that I don't put hate comments out there, I simply ignore the coverage completely.
Everyone agrees that Wilmer Valderrama in a penguin suit has to be in the Top 100 right?
Gossip Girl's series finale airs next Monday and it would be so great if Cory Barker could come back for the next podcast to talk about it!
Is it a conspiracy that show #12 is dated 12/12/12?
You shouldn't have said that. Now the will have to kill you.
The Truth is out there...
This comment has been removed.