TV.com's Weekly Podcast: Totally Tubular! Episode 013 (AUDIO)

It's our last podcast of the year and boy do we have some finales to discuss! This week, Price, Tim, and Jen and are joined by Cory Barker to chat about the following hot topics; press play below (or subscribe on iTunes!) to listen in! [Note: Please excuse some of the lousy Skype quality during portions of the recording. We try our best.]

... TV.com commenter shout-outs! (01:49)

... The season finale of Dexter! (08:45)

... The series finale of Gossip Girl! (19:07)

... The season finale of Homeland! (29:08)

... The midseason finale of The Vampire Diaries! (37:08)

... Our picks for the best shows of 2012! (44:07)

... Plus more! [SPOILERS ABOUND]

Hey! Is there anything YOU want us to chat about when the podcast resumes in January? Please leave any topics or suggestions in the comments below!

Errrr...the Doakes scenes of Dexter finale were new scenes- does he know nothing about this show? And Dexter obviously looks older a wig doesn't change that...and the whole point of the flashbacks was to reveal new details about dexter and doakes's relationship - so ergo how are those old scenes????? Geez Why do you bother watching the show or reviewing if you have no respect, admiration, interest and clearly knowledge of the show? -Cory!
5. Either Shameless or American Horror Story. both had/having great sophomore seasons
4.The Walking Dead- The premiere, the 4th episode, and mid season finale woah!
3.Dexter-Season 7 kicked ass. Hall, Carpenter and Strahovski nailed it
2.Community- Evil Abed! and Annie in the dreamatorium. nuff said

1. Fringe- Season 4 was crazy good and 'Letters of Transit' did an excellent job at setting up The Final Season.
Homeland(specifically the bomb) and Breaking Bad (the train heist episode) deserve shout outs,too.
Price, if you are looking for a show to re-cap, please consider Roswell. Its a show filled with cheese and intensity and also young/old faces! Would be hilarious to hear your take on the show!
and Merry Christmas everyone!
again: 5. Fringe 4.New Girl 3.Shameless U.S. 2.The Vampire Diaries 1.Homeland
oh Price I don-t believe the TVD writers can become that bad all of a sudden... I mean maybe they could have handled stuff better this season but I have a theory that there-s something else going on and what has been bad this season is that they tried to mislead us in a less great way than they did in season 2, like the fake sun and the moon curse remeber? if you don-t or anyone else is interested I can post a link to a tumblr post that explains everything better and even hypothesizes that Klaus and Shane are working together, I know that seems way too out there but once you rewatch the whole thing it doesn-t look that unbelievable (pardon my English it-s 3 a.m.)
1. Game of Thrones2. Breaking Bad3. The Walking Dead4. Homeland5. New Girl

There's something about a top two that makes picking a top 1 so impossible. For me I went with the one that I was most excited to start watching as opposed to which one I was most excited about afterwards. Also, I understand that this is a very boring/predictable top 5 but that's what happens when you pick 5 instead of 10.
5. Community (Season 3 eas so amazing and apart from the mockumentary episode, evrything was great from Abed and Troy's ''Pillows and Blankets''to the brilliant Remedial Chaos Thoery)

4. Dexter ( After a dull season 6 which almost killed the show so much expectations as to what will happen with Deb's discovery whether the show will just maneuver and continue with Dexters secret, Season 7 was great in each episode with well written plot, amazing villains and so much twists and tension throughout the season.

3. Homeland (it is so amazing how the writers kept everything tight despite the big reveal in the 1st season and though the season was as bipolar as Carrie, it had some great episodes like Q&A, Two Hats and the season finale, solid performances from the lead cast Claire and Damien Lewis and the amzing Mandy Patinkin )

2. Game Of Thrones (After the superb season 1, season 2 continued the trend with great Drama, plotting and production in a big way, It was engrossing and engaging with so many amazing episodes all season especially the brilliant Blackwater,)

1. Breaking Bad (The Best TV show currently with that continues to surpass each previous season, Gus demise was supposed to be a dent on the show but the way it portrayed the characters this season and is unfolding is a beauty to watch the 1st half of the season, awaiting the rest to cement the show its legendary status as one of the best show ever made.)
1. Dexter
2. The Big Bang Theory
3. Suits
4. Last Resort
5. Person Of Interest
Loved all the show talk, especially since I watch all those various finales.

Price you nailed down the TVD analogy. Jeremy=Buffy. Alaric and the council= the scoobies.

Here's my top five and I did like Jen said and showed my work. From greatest to the least (greatest):

1. Community- Loved season 3. Lots of character growth and hilarity.

2. Pretty Little Liars- Another case of appointment television for me. I know this is just a crazy teen show but it's really beautiful and insane things are happening all the time. This year, they revealed two members of the A team and about a million other crazy things happened. Very fond of the characters and even care about their love interests.

3. Game Of Thrones- Loved this season. It might have been better than the first. The battle did not disappoint except for Joffrey still being alive.

4. Parks And Recreation- Wonderful comedy. Lots of character growth. Great big and little moments. Joe Biden was even on.

5. Suburgatory- This show had a strong first season. The second season is great as well. Reveals have happened. Couples have already gotten together and broken up. Plus, there's the awesome weird silliness like Dalia's music video to get her nanny back.

FYI: If you're having trouble recapping everything, I'm free to intern. J/k. Kinda...
5- Game of Thrones
4- Community
3- Dexter
2- Doctor Who
1- Breaking Bad
My profile picture is actually a real picture of me. You wouldn't believe how many people mistake me for Timothy Olyphant.
Another very funny podcast, guys. I love listening to it, although I don't always comment because you cover so many topics and it would feel like ranting to comment on everything. Also, I think you guys started out with 30 minutes of podcast and it's 56 minutes this week! Phew.
I especially enjoyed Cory's take on the Gossip Girl finale. I commented on his review and also said how weird everybody's reaction to GG's identity was.. I actually feel like a Gossip Girl survivor right now and I usually feel pretty reminiscent after a show ends its run.
I'm still surprised of Tim's opinion about Homeland, though. I've followed his reviews and I know he wasn't a Season 2 fan but it still surprises me because I don't feel that the show was ridiculous at any point. I do appreciate his take on it, though, because sometimes television shows kinda blind you. It's hard to explain but sometimes there are one or two very very good seasons and then the next season is way worse but you don't actually notice because you're so invested. I don't feel like that about Homeland (yet) at all but I could name a lot of shows I watched til the bitter end because I was used to it.
I would like to touch the Vampire Diaries mid-season finale, too, but I think it would take this comment to a whole different level, haha! I don't want people to be bored reading through my thoughts.
Have a Merry Christmas!
5.Parks and Rec
4.Homeland
3.The Walking Dead
2.Legend of Korra
1.Community
Best Tv shows of 2012:

5.The Borgias
4.Luck (What a shame about the cancelation!)
3.Dexter
2.Homeland
1.Mad Men
Thanks for the podcast guys and have a great christmas. But where's the Fringe coverage Tim? Price talks about TVD when he think it's not at its best so you should mosdef be talking about Fringe.

It's a pity the casters aren't watching Boss because that was the standout show of 2012 that Tim said was missing.

I posted my top 84 shows for 2012 on the other page but my top 5 were:
5. Game of Thrones - Season 2
4. Boardwalk Empire - Season 3
3. Mad Men - Season 5
2. Breaking Bad - Season 5
1. Boss - Season 2
ABC's 8p.m. THURSDAY NIGHT DEATH SLOT, Price of course Last Resort got canceled-I think "Ugly Betty" (and "Wipe Out) are the only thing to survive there for more than a season in recent memory (My Generation, Flash Forward, Last Resort, Charlie's Angels, plus some like Alias that went there to die)-ABC should have stuck Private Practice's last season there, put Park Ave. in it's Tuesday slot and had Last Resort in Park's spot, or maybe even Last Resort in Nashville's spot and Nashville following Revenge, bottom line it would have fit better anywhere else-Last Resort went immediately in my Dead Pool solely because of it's time slot.. You must tell us about making Jennifer Carpenter almost cry. It's unfortunate that my generation's teen show sort of sucked-sorry Gossip Girl was not as good as Dawson's (which was honestly a little week), BH 90210, (do Gilmore Girls, Varonica Mars and 7th Heaven count?) the OC, or even the ever repetative One Tree Hill-but whatever our genera shows (Vampire Diaries, Arrow, Smallville O.K. that counts for a lot of people's High school years and young lives) where better than Buffy and Angle by the end (NOTE: the respective last seasons of these shows sort of ruined the rest, and for that reason, our genera shows certainly have the potential to derail by the end also). Even though Gossip Girl limped to the finish a bunch of my friends and I were still very invested in the 2nd and third season, even though a bunch of them were about a season behind-I think maybe watching that show in a marathon is more addictive and makes it better. And bottom line even when the last half of last season sucked, it was still better than being forced to wait to watch the lack-luster episodes, because your selfish, only-child-syndrome infected roommate had to watch (sort-of) "time-slot rival" "Love and Hip-Hop Atlanta," because if any show sucked more than GG, it was that trashy mess-having to sit through that for a hour while trying to do Chemistry and Calc. (because your roommate can't wait for an hour for the encore) will make you appreciate Gossip Girl in a way that makes it seem like it's a season two episode of Grey's. MOOR QUINN, definitely, love Rupert Friend (he's a great example of a Britt doing an awesome American accent). Also, wow, Homeland had a character named Finn and called Quinn this season-and I'm just now noticing this! Mayor Lockwood won't be a Vampire, and if she's not a vampire, witch, or maybe werewolf she can't be a ghost I don't think (I'm embarrassed I know this). I love that Jen seems to relate and analogize everything supernatural to Grimm.
Interesting comments. The Price almost making DC cry came up in this article:
www~tv~com/news/dexter-at-tcas-will-season-7-atone-for-season-6-the-cast-and-crew-say-yes-29246/

Replace the ~s with .s
Thanks
This comment has been removed.
Staff
Homeland is walking on thin ice, but did just enough to make me come back for season 3.
Dexter, so glad it'll be done after season 8. While season 7 was a revival to the series, just not sure it has much strength in those legs to stand on.
I didn't expect a podcast this week. Thanks for taking time to do it. Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all of my friends at TVdotCom.
HOW CAN Nazir's Lieutenant come back? Didn't the CIA kill him when they caught Roya? When they prevented that bombing of the soldiers coming home?
Staff
Oh yeah! Oops
My picks for Best Tv Shows of 2012:

5. Happy Endings (Season 2 was so strong and Season 3 so far has been great as well, on of the most underated show on tv by far!!!!!)

4. Homeland (I know some people have been down on Season 2 but i think it is so unbelivably good and tense, just as good as Season 1 in my opinion)

3. Community (Season 3 was one of the best seasons of a comedy ever made in my opinion, every member of the cast got a chance to shine and did so brilliantly, not a bad episode in the season)

2. Breaking Bad (One of the best Dramas ever made, no questions asked, not a dull episode in this shortened season, the only reason it isnt at number one is because it was just basically a set up for the final run of episodes, dont get me wrong it was incredible and shocking but there was no big payoff which will come in the next year, which i am assuming will take it back to number one)

1. Game Of Thrones (Season 2 did the impossible and topped Season 1 in a big way, its hard ot pick favourites, but if i had to id say it would be; Garden of Bones, Blackwater and Valar Morghulis, which are three of the best episodes of tv iv seen in a long time. The reason this beat Breaking Bad to number one is becuase it had one fo the best payoffs iv ever seen in anything with Blackwater and Valar Morghulis, truly incredible)

Hounarable Mentions - Parks and Recreation, The Walking Dead, Justified, Sons of Anarchy, Archer and a contraversial pick The Newsroom
That is a great looking list, and if I remember mine correctly from the other article, yours is almost identical to mine. Cheers to good taste ;)

5. Happy Endings
4. Justified
3. Homeland
2. Breaking Bad
1. Game of Thrones

(6th-8th would be Community, Person of Interest, and Archer)