TV.com's Weekly Podcast: Totally Tubular! Episode 014 (AUDIO)

It's a new year and a new attitude! Okay, same attitude but definitely a new year. (Right? Which calendar are we using these days?) Anyway, the TV midseason is here and there's all kinds of new stuff to discuss. Press play below (or subscribe on iTunes!) to listen in!

... TV.com commenter shout-outs! (03:52)

... Jen attended Archer Live! (07:35)

... The Winter TCAs are happening! (14:11)

... The Walking Dead's showrunner shakeup! (24:14)

... American Horror Story: Asylum's "Name Game" scene! (31:23)

... MTV's Buckwild! (36:20)

... The Bachelor returned! (40:50)

... The Joe Schmo Show returned! (46:43)

... Justified returned! (48:13)

... Plus more! [SPOILERS ABOUND]

Hey! Is there anything YOU want us to chat about? Please leave any topics or suggestions in the comments below!

I love the new intro song, hope you keep it longer - Beirut are great! I was wandering who picks the intro music and if you'll be changing it up each week?
Also, I'm ecstatic about the return of Justified. In your review, Tim, you said that it's a show you don't wanna miss a single shot or word of, and that's exactly how I feel, too. I just get so immersed in the Justified world, I have to see/hear every second of it, and I rewind it a lot too, just to understand every little joke or witty line (plus, sometimes it's hard to understand their southern accents, at least at first).
Item to consider: did Roswell have an underachieving cast? It seems like only Katherine Heigl really came out of it well. If you compare it to the cast of Dawson's Creek the difference in their post teen-show careers is vast...
Hmmm, either this article is not letting me post a comment. OR it *is* accepting my comments, and not letting me see them while you guys have to deal with my comments x5 due to my internet-rage.
Not the first time this has happened on the podcast articles. I post, it shows my comment, yet F5ing or leaving and re-entering the article cause my comments to disappear. :(
I enjoyed Roswell. A lot of teen drama with a supernatural back drop. Heigl kinda retroactively soured that for me but still good times. I remember she was dating her onscreen brother while that show was on the air.

As for the TCA's, I am kind of interested in them but like Tim said, most of it could just be put in a press release. There are a couple of panels that have some good interview moments, if one of the critics covering it considers it their favorite show or something.
I kinda liked the old intro tune better. Just sayin'. The podcast is great!
So I was curious after last week whether the different intro was just for Christmas or if there would be a new one each week. I hope you'll keep trying different intros. I suggest an open forum, choose 8 or 16 songs, play two a week and let people vote between them. After a month or two you'll have your intro.
After a month or two the voting/brackets would have fallen by the internet wayside.
Hey I love the music you used in the intro on this podcast!!
Was that Do Make Say Thing at the end? I love that band!
Happy 2013 guys. I love these podcasts! I have a question: What's a TNT and a TBS? They sound like VDs (not Vampire Diaries, the other VDs!) but apparently they do watchable shows now? Would they ever show anything that would be worth watching?
I loved the 'Justified' premiere so much. I couldn't take my eyes off of it. Patton Oswalt was awesome too. The only problem with that show is that I can't watch all the episodes of the season at once.
Have you seen any of the new shows for midseason. If so, what was your favorite? What should we be looking forward to?
Where do you think the next season of AHS will take place? Ryan Murphy has stated that clues were in the Name Game.
Let's not forget that Glen Mazzara was an instrumental producer for "The Shield", too. Quality people work together. "The Shield" of course was created by Shawn Ryan who was an executive producer with Joss Whedon on "Angel" (and of course Joss Whedon created all kinds of awesome stuff in both TV and movies). Tim Minear worked with both of them on "Angel", too, and then of course Shawn Ryan and Tim Minear worked together on "Terriers" before Shawn Ryan then gave us Andre Braugher warning us on ABC.
You are absolutely correct in that FX is going to win in so many ways because of these moves by AMC. Show runners/producers/writers like the ones I've listed above will seriously consider before agreeing to work with AMC after this treatment. I mentioned it before, but it bears repeating, FX was sad to have to cancel "Terriers", while AMC has a megahit with TWD and fires its turn-around showrunner. I understand that AMC wants to keep the showrunner from becoming too powerful (re: "Mad Men"), but this is not the way to do that.
Be clear and concise in negotiations, showing reasons. "Damages" is/was fantastic but FX had to let it go for money reasons and it got picked up by DirecTV, likely with a smaller budget (I have no sources about that, going off of a gut reaction here). A show runner will understand that and if they are being unrealistic they'll either back down or find themselves without a show. That's how it's supposed to work. Will viewers be upset if a show gets cancelled for that reason? Of course. But that show runner will also (theoretically) learn that he/she is not all powerful. Of course these are just my opinions and of course I've worked in TV for all of 0 days.
In regards to the Archer: Live talk... It basically sounds like the whole cast was there except for the two Arrested Development folk: Jessica Walter and Judy Greer... who I'm assuming are both out filming for AD. Anyway, I can't wait for Archer to start up again.

Also, yes, Justified is awesome. I wasn't aware that Raylan wasn't going to have a "big bad" of his own this season. I'm not sure how much I'd like him just dealing with this cold case, but if the season premiere is any indication, that case should be bringing a lot of trouble with it. And yeah, I guess it could be refreshing for the show not to predictably have a new big bad guy every season.
This podcast fit my taste really well: Archer, Justified, Fringe, AMC being fucking assholes (so true, wouldn't have said it better myself), trashing trashy reality shows. Price's enthusiasm for the shows he loves is contagious. I'm gonna watch season 2 of AHS after it's over. I tried resisting it but I think I can't anymore. Loved all of that stuff. Roswell is/was a good show, way back when Katherine Heigl wasn't such a bitch, or at least we didn't know about it yet. It would be great if Glen Mazzara moved to FX. I can't wait to hear what his next project is going to be.
Staff
Aaaaaaaaaaand now I'm sad about Rubicon all over again.
Oh my... I loved Rubicon and I would not have said that The Killing was mediocre, what a shock! Specially the Rubicon part LOL
Rubicon isn't mediocre. Price didn't watch the show. The Killing and Hell on Wheels are mediocre.
I haven't watch hell on wheels, but amazingly enough, The Killing is a show that I never had to fast forward. I do understand that people might not like the pace and it was sort of annoying that they took 2 seasons for 1 crime. But I found it great myself. Rubicon was just the type of spy show that I wanted to see, what a pity that it was canceled so soon.
Thanks for considering Price! :) Roswell is pretty addictive!
Thanks to this nudge I'm now watching Roswell as well...
Happy to be the nudger, enjoy it!
So sorry Tim isn't feeling well. But isn't it great to be married? That's what spouses are for: picking each other up off the floor. I don't watch any of those shows, so I didn't listen to the rest. Hope I didn't miss you talking about me.