V: Let's Try This Again

First of all: It's bad form to start a new season with a dream sequence. That's just not nice. But it was cool to see Tyler's face disintegrate, if only to give us a moment of hope that he was dead.

V returned from TV's winter break as a midseason entry last night, continuing its confusing scheduling history (it debuted with four episodes in November 2009, returned from a short break in March 2010, and is now back in January 2011). V started out with much promise, but the show hasn't ever reached its potential, as is the case with most non-cable sci-fi dramas. After watching the Season 2 premiere, "Red Rain," it's apparent that not much has changed—but we will give it some points for answering a few questions that we're supposed to believe are very important to our mental well-being.

After the show reestablished what's going on for those tuning in for the first time, Anna, her slinky grey dress, and "dat ass," as the kids say, were accused of succumbing to "human emotions" by her minions, and her ability to execute a plan to emotionlessly decimate humans was called into question. So she did what any nutjob leader would do to prove she's hardcore, and stabbed the bejeezus out of a petty officer with her tail-knife. That was very cool, even if the effects were lacking. We would like to see more of that.

Then the merry-go-round of Earthlings liking-then-hating-then-liking the aliens continued, with Anna explaining the ominous red sky that appeared at the end of last season: The red sky squirts out red rain, which acts like Rogaine for the planet! Decades of irreversible damage to Earth have been reversed with one simple red rinse, so go ahead and spray those aerosol hairspray cans willy-nilly and tell Al Gore to shut up! At least, that's what Anna said. Queen A showed the protesters a simple computer simulation of our planet being transformed from barren wasteland to fertile ground as "proof" that the red sky works, and the humans dropped their picket signs and went back to loving the Visitors like the dimwits we are. I still can't believe that in New York City not one person demanded the aliens pay for the dry cleaning to get the red out of their threads. Totally fake!

Most of the rest of the episode involved the same stuff that's been going on this entire series: The Fifth Column resistance running around like a Dungeons & Dragons party, making sure their intentions are VERY clear to the audience—"I need to get on that ship!"—and uttering under-their-breath comments about how the aliens aren't actually our friends. If they want to keep their secret underground party out of the public eye, they probably shouldn't be engaging in exciting chase scenes with an alien unnecessarily parkour-ing over and off objects and ending in frying said alien to dust right in the middle of the street. Stupidity 1, subtlety 0.

But it's great to see Brett Harrison (Reaper) back on television, and his inclusion in V brings the total number of likable characters on the series up to one. With his help, we learned that the aliens want to increase the levels of phosphorous on the planet and in human bodies because they need it to help protect their young during gestation. And how do they up the P on Earth? With the red rain, duh. Anna, you tricky little she-devil. Then we learned this little tidbit about Erica: Once upon a time, she had high levels of phosphorous in her bloodstream when she was pregnant with Tyler! Something fishy is going on here. Or at least, something stinks.

The episode ended with a bombshell: Anna has a mother! And it's the actress who played the queen baddie in the original 1983 V series! And Anna keeps her in a strange basement in the ship! Okay, I guess it wasn't that much of a bombshell, but the producers wanted us to think it was.

It's fair to say that, unlike it's source material, V won't be one of the top sci-fi series of our time. The show still struggles with creating characters that we care about, crafting storylines that don't have huge holes in them, and delivering believable dialogue. But hey, it's got aliens, man!

Ratings update:
In 2009, V pulled in 14 million viewers for its series premiere. Last night's big return drew in 6.5 million and finished third even though it was the only original scripted program airing on network TV during its time slot. Those numbers are only going to go down, and I can't imagine ABC will keep the show around after this season. Would V have even returned this season if FlashForward hadn't make it look so good?

Notes:
... Anna watching Lisa and Tyler get it on... really creepy. I mean, I would have done the same, but I'm not related to them. I'm just normal creepy.

... Enough with the "Anna is hot" jokes. They don't work anymore.

... Does the Aussie mercenary dude remind anyone else of Gimli, the dwarf from The Lord of the Rings?

And a question for you, dear reader: Are you sticking with V this season?

Follow TV.com writer Tim Surette on Twitter: @TimAtTVDotCom

I agree with "xanderodell". I hope and prey, because we need sci-fy!
I think I'm gonna stick around for V. Just to see how badly they screw up. and their CG sucks from the beginning.
blow up mr. aussie, give tyler V abilities and a tail, and pass the torch to FBI hero lady and Mr. ex-Reaper demon hunter guy. then it will probably survive. more beautiful Anna jokes. =P
Was this article written by a 16 year old girl? I don't think V is in any trouble I think this writers job is, "Most of the rest of the episode" haha I think he was educate in the Souths finest schools, owned and operated by chucky cheese.
To the writer of the article:
I suppose your aim is to be liked by mostly one type of readers, namely the hardcore critics who are disappointed by anything which does not meet their higher than a skyscraper standards? If that is the case, good job with the review, otherwise learn how to at least be subtle with your bias, because right now Stupidity 1, subtlety 0.

Oh and by the way "hadn't make it look so good"... Very good job with the grammar there, THUMBS UP!

As for the show, it's not Battlestar Galactica, but it deffinately isn't FlashForward or The Event either, so i hope it goes for a full season and even more.
Ok, you are right about some things, but I still like the show. It definitely needs a better and quicker plot.
V's season 2 shouldn't have happened at all. You are right, Mr. Surette, FlashForward made V look good. Both shows were totally screwed up by their showrunners, only difference is that V is so cheap for ABC that they gave it another shot as long as Warner keeps paying the production costs. But such scenario won't last long.
I was pretty disappointed of the season premiere. The fifth column storyline is really bad. I was happy to see Brett Harrison. Every time he was on the screen it felt a lot better to watch this show. I will watch one more episode before i decide to dump V.
hello

In france, we adore this serie. We hope there will have another seasons.

bye

sophie
its a pretty stupid show, but the characters in and of themselves are pretty cool.
V is a really good show, i don't see what needs a better work? nice review, though you could have come with a couple of positive things to, but you know I am just saying ....
Personally I'm really glad I have a choice not to watch it anymore. I was frustrated with the acting, the bad cgi and the story. I quit this series.
V was so desperate for ratings that they bought back Jane Badler/Original Diana and Marc Singer/Original Mike Donovan. Unfortunately, Marc Singer will be in the Season Finale. Which is like the Series Finale to me. The original V had less CGI and more acting. This V had less acting and more CGI. It is amazing to me how the Original is so much better. They should get rid of the abundance of characters. Instead of adding in more fluff, the writers should concentrate on just he core characters and storylines. At this rate, the show will be canceled soon. I only tuned in to see Jane Badler act.
this show is better than these cinics want to credit it....they read the bad headline and follow suit like puppets. it needs a little more action.....maybe another action plot thrown in to heat it up a little more. but it's still all in all pretty good , and a lot better than most of the night soap crap going currently.
I hate when shows with this much potential end up with awful writers. Look TV execs, no matter how good a premise you need to have good writers. You also need a show runner that understands pacing. There are segments of this show which go way too fast, and there are others that go way too slow.
how old is the guy that wrote this article? 12?
you nailed it, Tim
I was so happy for a second thinking they are getting rid of Tyler. He's so annoying, some should shove him out of the space ship! Too bad it was just a dream! This show is full of plot holes and kind of lame too, but keeps me tuning in for more. What would the pretend Aliens do next week? I hope they'll patch the (ozone) hole. ;)
I'll probably stick stick with it only because the alternatives are so horrible -- other than NCIS: LA (which I'm not all that sold on, frankly), there's nothing good on at 9PM Tuesday. But the show itself is floundering. It has everything it needs right there for a good story but, as usual, network TV refuses to pull the trigger and let the sci-fi writers write sci-fi. And they somehow managed to make the super-hot prostitute from Firefly unattractive. I'm not holding out how that even Mark Singer is gonna save this show.

It really makes me sad when I think that the three best sci-fi shows on American TV are on the freaking CW.
I'm sticking with it... I still find it pretty decent and am a sucker for sci-fi. But yes, I do agree the storyline has major holes in it!
I told you so!!!
I find it unbelievable that this show replaced Fast Forward in terms of recontracting. It's been a disgrace from the get go. The only thing going for this show is that it had a MASSIVE following for the original series. That has quickly died out, and the haphazard and meaningless broadcasting schedule has certainly not helped. Chalk up another dud for prime time TV, please.
Brett Harrison made me smile, especially because I just finished re-watching Reaper.
I was so looking forward to see season two premiere but bummer, yeah the first episode had its moments but it was kinda dull, lots of awkward moments, just made me say "move on" all the time of the ep. As for pimping her daughter and watching her with Tyler, well, pervy, thats the word... The Anna is hot, yeah old, we all know now she is a lizard like that new guy said-this new guy rocks, he is a cool actor who I like to see in this show, I guess he might bring some light moments and he is funny, so hopes up! About the whole am I gonna keep watching, well, few more episodes, if the show didnt kick off, well bye bye V, we had a nice time in season one..
Well, I wish that V was a little better but they are just playing it too close to the vest so as to not offend anyone which offends most everyone. BSG took risks, big risks and I felt was rewarded greatly. NBC, as well as ABC and CBS just don't do Syfy with any confidence. Damn button-up suits don't have enough imagination. And I am still pissed over ABC's cancellation of Invasion as well as CBS's Threshold. Further proof that they don't know good syfy when they put it out there.
If the dream sequence had been real, then I might have thought this series was going somewhere, but I wasn't surprised when they copped out. That would have been way too bold a move for network television today. I gotta say, Lisa in her underwear made me uncomfortable. Made the teenage human-lizard sex too real for me. I think the girl is supposed to be a couple years older, and I'm just not ready for statutory exo-bestiality rape.
V is reasonably entertaining. It is not as good as real sci-fi like Fringe or Stargate or Doctor Who or Supernatural. I too would like to see Ty get killed off for real instead of a fake dream death. But in spite of its flaws it has enough entertainment value to where I can keep tuning in, something I can't say for shows like Eureka
not surprised since scifi has went the way of the jrpg. few good ones around anymore and the ones that are good get cancelled/never leave japan
Please kill off Tyler for real. That kid is a tool.
You gotta turn off your brain and enjoy it as goofy sci-fi soap opera. It's the actors and campiness that make it fun. I especially love the Queen's right-hand man.
One of the best, gave it 10 out of 10 totally, LOVED IT :)
Come on, it's fake sci fi. It's for entertainment purposes only. And Anna, well you know.
I think you were a little hard on it - I found it better (and cooler) than most of Season 1's episodes. That being said, it's not great. I agree that FlashForward was FAR better, and had greater potential.
ANother decent sci-fi show soon to bite the dust, folk have no imagination anymore.
I think the thing that bothers me the most is that the visitors refer to themselves as "Visitors", even in private. I hate shows that don't pay attention to details, completely unbelievable.
The ONLY thing that can save this show is more scenes of Lisa in her underwear...
im all over the net reading all these negitive reviews and i just dont get it yeah its not the best show ever put out but its not the worst by far and i mean far its got a good plot why would they reveal all the main plot points in just 13 episodes thus far when a normal season has 22 so realy they have done pretty good for only being in this deep,i wish people would step back and see things in a more positive light sometimes we just love to throw negitivty out there on a whim were negitive about everything and that other show everyone keeps talking about the one that made V hogwash thats a very shallow cop out V makes itself and its back even after a horrable sceduale it stands on its own two legs dont even think differant if you do your just lieng to yourself becouse you liked the other show better well boo-hoo sorry to here it -quit taking your frustrasions out on this show and actually give it a chance the plot is just getting started i for one would be very upset if the whole plot was given to me already theres lots going on its a alien invasion show let it unfold

p.s. i apoligize if my spelling isnt the best and if your going to harp on me for liking the show your barking up the wrong tree ill probley never come back to this feedback i bounce all over the net in support of this show proudly i hope everyone has a possitive day!!!
How do people even like this ? Low Budget special effects, dumb/uninterested plot....How could they cancel FlashForward ? I mean, that was an awesome show....
its pretty good, but the son Tyler is making the show damn near unwatchable - gawd he's character is such a whiny lil *bleep*.... Hopefully they either toughen him up a helluva lot or phase him out
its ok, but could be better
Sorry, no, still zero likable characters. Plenty of likable actors and actresses. I was absolutely in love with Morena Baccarin on Firefly, loved the original V mini-series, even liked the series (hey, i was young). I SHOULD love this show, but I don't. I will watch every episode until it dies in a well-deserved fire of cancellation, but I don't love it. And I can see by the start of this season that I won't.
i think this show is awesome.. season 2's premiere did a good job, i got many answers and many question arise too at half episode : wow, tyler is an alien???,hmm... that's why Anna wants to control him.

at the end :" what??? anna's mother appears...alien's management gonna be more complicated...
I totally disagree! This show is awesome!! There is a real storyline here and the season is only beginning give it time. V should say.
I have to say I was groaning a bit last night... it wasn't good. But I actually was shocked and excited when one of the hottest women from my TV past appeared!!! Diana is back on V?? They just kept me from tuning out...
This review.....too funny!
I want to like this show, but it's really bad. I'm putting all my hopes on Fiendly Skies. I'll keep watching this till it gets cancelled but it sucks sucks to know that it will be with those ratings!!
I toatally agree with this article... V dosen't have much live in it left... i'm just sick of present day alien invasions and all this human drama sci-fi... bring back Firefly or Babylon 5 or another Star Trek (not another prequel but an expansion of the universe and the timeline :D ) And now they gonna cancel Stargate Universe too... and that show had a slow start but it's starting to ge off it's feet wit a quite intriguing story. Anyway... V sucks... Give us good old Sci-Fi shows!!!!
People forget that the original V wasn't much successful as a series; it was canceled after only 19 episodes (not including the mini-series) in it's first season. The mini-series was popular but it put many fans off with it's cheap ending.
First off, this episode answered our questions and gave us a great taste of whats to come. So we didn't learn every thing, or see enough of the V's true faces, but I thought this episode started the second season off with a bang, and I don't understand why people keep being so hard on this show, which is one of they few things on TV I CAN stand to watch and look forward to. Support the show, and keep with input, maybe they will get it!
FlashForward and V were indeed equally bad, but listen - if you had pick which show to renew, which would it be? The awful show where Fiennes does a Batman voice all the time, or the show where the Alien highcommander is a smoking hot woman with an epic booty? Flashforward never even had a chance.

Btw, agreed - Tyler is pretty much the worst character in V, he needs to die.
Load More Comments