V, rodent swallowing returning to TV

If there is one image from 1980s television that is permanently scarred into my brain (for various reasons--some good, some bad), it has to be the hot alien from V: The Miniseries swallowing some sort of furry thing whole. V was a television event before there were television events--a must-see science-fiction extravaganza that had viewers glued to their TV sets and hiding under their covers.

It should be no surprise, then, that V is coming back to TV.

ABC is giving a makeover to the 1983 miniseries with the help of The 4400 cocreator Scott Peters, who will be executive producer and help pen the new V, according to Variety. So far there is no word on whether the new V will be a miniseries or a series.

The original V miniseries, which eventually paved the way for one season of a V series, was fairly ahead of its time in terms of scope and budget. The story followed every xenophobe's worst nightmare: Friendly human-like aliens arrive on Earth and feign interest in coexisting harmoniously, when in reality they are giant lizards who want to steal our water and destroy the population! Scary!

ABC's V will be set in the same universe, but its centerpiece will be a female Homeland Security agent who is dealing with her son's affinity for the scaly, fork-tongued visitors.

V will also be developed into a video game, as well as other multimedia platforms.

As a big fan of V, I'm cautiously optimistic about a remake. But as a witness to the beatdown that all these recent remakes have received, I'm also realistically bummed. What are your thoughts?

I wish it the best, but remakes are so often just crap. It may be best for it to live on only in our memories.
I was talking about this show to some of my co-workers and they alllooked at me like I was crazy!!! LOL @ all of you who have that vision of the Lady with the black hair( I believe her name was Diana) eating the rat, because that is the same thing I can STILL see in my head! whooo hoooo!!
I was a big fan of the original. I can see why they would revisit this series. The CGI for starters. I think its worth looking into. I am happy that they are at least going with a different storyline.
I'm a huge fan of V but was disappointed when the show was somehow discontinued for whatever reasons.'The rat eating' scene was the one still embedded in my mind whenever 'V' is mentioned. As for the remaking of the 80s series, i think it has passed its expiry date. Just not the same without the original casts of Jane Badler, Faye Grant, Marc Singer and the then unknown Robert Englung. I would love to see the continuation following the very last season if the remake is to be made. In 1983, NBC confirmed they had plans to produce a tv movie of 'V' where it would take place 20 years after the original series but nothing came out of it. No remakes that i have seen so far on any past tv series made since 2000 has been successful and I wished the producers would stop remaking any past series and start making new ones or continue any series which were short lived. It's a No for me to a remake of 'V'.
I don't know about the rest of you... But I am super pumped up about this move... And let me point out why...
1. Its on ABC... Not on some Basic Cable network.
2. Thanks to CG the effects are going to finally be on the same level as the story it self vs. the 80's version which I loved but basically used Playdoo as a prop on the show (Not really playdoo but you get the point)
3. Its about Aliens... What more do I have to say!

I just hope they bring back some total babe to play the party of Dianna! And that some how Willy is also back.
Don't know about v as a weekly serial don't have high hopes but will give it a chance.
I too am an old fan of V, and hope to find it good enough to be a new fan of the new V! I am [though one of the few from what I keep reading] a big fan of Terminator: the Sarah Connor Chronicles, and the new Doctor Who, as well as Stargate Atlantis, and the remakes of all the Star Trek series, and even Kath and Kim! However 2 of the new remakes that scare me a little are the American version of Absolutely Fabulous, and V! Both are shows that made a huge impression on me when I was younger, and both are shows where I have a difficult time imagining anyone playing the core parts other than the originals. I will however give them both a chance, I figure if you go in with no expectations, things can only stay the same or get better!
I was a huge fan of "V" and "The Final Battle," but the miniseries was a huge letdown and a flop. Still, I'm interested to see what direction they would take the show and characters. I wonder if they'll be using the same characters: Donovan, Juliet, Willie, Diana. The original cast is too old to be running around and doing the same stunts they did back in the 80's. They could try something like "V" the Next Generation, but that would seem *meh*.
Wow I can remember that!
Then again, one scene traumatized me for my whole childhood and I got afraid of the long hallway that led to the changing rooms in my Basketball team... :-p
It could become a 60-minute sci-fi drama, sort of speak.
I am a big fan of the original mini. I saw it as a child and I could never get the rodent-eating scene out of my mind. Remake? Well, I'll give it a shot and decide after.
I did like the Flash Gordon remake, I'm a bit sad that most people didn't.
well... I am skeptical... Original creator Kenneth Johnson is not participating in this project and that smells like a dead rat. If they were really serious about it, Johnson would no doubt be in. He had been trying to get a sequel off the ground for years (that he finally published in the form of a book) so if he's not in, either he thinks it sucks or they didn't invite him to participate. In either case, it doesn't bode well for the show. Look at the way it turned out when he left the show.
is america totally running out of ideas? whats with all the crap remakes and based on books series? which i actually don't mind, but the remakes are getting too much.
Good grief. Why? Why why why why why?!

Mind you, "The Final Battle" (the first followup), as with most remakes, lacked logic and substance but was overflowing with style and gloss and TFB was well received. Pity it lacked the intellect, but nothing's perfect. It was the TV season follow-up that lacked both substance, AND the style which made people sit through TFB, complete with a hokey ending and all...

But who's to say this remake will be a flop, despite the current probability (which is pretty high)? Rest assured, it WILL be vapid, but it might be a success if the original miniseries' effect on the public is anything near enduring to match how endearing it was... As for other shows dug-up by Fido, such as Battleslop Remakeica, Doctor What, Night Ridder, Bubonic Woman, and roughly all the other shows whose titles I altered to protect their actual names, my gut instinct is to say the new "V" ought to be named "Z" because it's going to be a brainless bore more effective than a box of No-Doz(tm)...
V the Miniseries was a wonderful show that was ruined by the series that it spawned. Loved the Miniseries, absolutely hated the follow up tv series. While I am a big fan of the 4400 so believe that Scott Peters will do a bang up job, I hope to see a BSG style rework of V. How many of you look back at the acting of the old show now and kinda cringe at some parts of it, I know I do. As far as the general idea of bringing it back is concerned, I'll look forward to it....fresh guinea pig anyone?
I loved the original (still have the books) so I dread to see what they'll do to this one. I hope they decide to leave it alone and not try it. They murdered the remake of Galactica screwing around with that one, so no, I'm not looking forward to this at all.
I'm on the fence about this. I loved the old series, it was one of my first favorite "grown-up" shows. While there have been some disastous remakes of late, (Bionic Woman jumps into my mind); on the other hand some shows have returned and done extremely well, like 'Doctor Who'. I guess we'll just have to wait and see, if this ever gets made.
TalonWolfe said: "They need to remake it from the first wave- showing the aliens arriving and infiltrating before anyone knows they are aliens. Otherwise, this will be more like that one show that had aliens living among us that liked curdled milk... forgot the name...."

It was Alien Nation, a sci-fi show based on a much better movie. As for V, I was like 6 when it was on, so it was one of those shows I thought was cool (esp. everytime someone peeled off their skin to reveal they were an alien!), and it also scared the crap out of me (esp. everytime someone peeled off their skin to reveal they were an alien! LOL!!). But I've got them all now on DVD - they had the mini-series, which was an allegory for the Nazi Holocaust. Then, as "FrakkingFrakker" said below, they "spingboarded" off of the mini-series into an 80's A-Team-type action show. But then didn't they finish it off with one final(second) mini-series? And was that second mini-series any good or no? I can't recall it at all, except for the fact that (DUH!) the earthlings kill/kick into space all the "Visitors", and all is well again.

-ak
Saying cautiously optimistic is understatement. I mean how many of these remakes are worth it? Battlestar Galactica I hear a mix- I like my Cylons silver with red pong eyes. We all saw how well Bionic Woman did. Twilight Zone & Outer Limits anyone? The Munsters Today? Get Smart Again, Come on people. What's next Buck Rodgers? I mean they already have Flash Gordon. Instead of a remake-why doesn't hollywood try something new- or barring that continue shows that people wanted to see. How about revisiting Now and Again? But no we'll get a poor redo of Lost in Space. Sorry about the venting but Were will the "shock" value of the "reveal" be when duh we already know their "secret"?
I'd much rather some new show is developed. The remakes rarely last long enough to make it worthwhile.
I liked the original V series, but I'm cautiously optimistic about a remake. Not every remake... well, you get the drift.
ENOUGH IS ENOUGH already!!!!

Why do they keep finding it so darn needed to go and take good OLD shows and remake them for today's viewers???? The writers/producers need to get off their rumps and write NEW shows.

They destroyed Bionic Woman (cancled after 6 eps ), did no justice to Red Dwarf (cancled after the Pilot ep ), they have Knight Rider and 90210 on air now (with 90210 on bubble of being cancled :) ) they are going to make an American version of AbFab.

I loved V as a kid, and I don't want to see them mess this one up too.
I'm one of those cautiously optimistic types in this situation. this isn't the first time talk like this has surfaced. As another user mentioned Kenneth Johnson who created V originally has been trying to re-ignite it for some time. A follow up may be better than a complete remake in this instance. However, I'm not completely averse to a total re-make. I think the political allegory and metaphor of the original mini-series bring an important message forward. If this "event" could limit itself in scope and ambition and tell the right story I think it could be pretty powerful in today's society. That follows my feelings on the series, it took a good idea and turned it into an eighties action adventure series, when the power of the concept was truly in the mini-series. Here's hoping the choose the right direction. ...and here's hoping it finds the right home. ABC is notorious for picking up shows and cancelling them just so other networks can't have them.
FANTASTIC NEWS! Ive been waiting for this ages!!! Cant wait for this! BRAVO!
Never saw it, but would give it a chance.
This has been rumoured for ages. Not sure if it will actually happen or not. Hopefully it does, and it is done well. This was a show about characters, and with direction. Hopefully they can hold to that, unlike BSG.
I loved V! And will be checking this out. Can't wait
V was a great great great phenomenon in Spain, dunno anybody who didn't see it. I'll see it, at least, I'll give a chance :)
Well, with such agreat premise, how could they possibly ruin it? Oh, right, easily.
Hmmm... Cant really judge this just yet. Could be great. Could suck arse. Will have to watch it.
As a kid, I was all into the "look" of the mini-series. The ships, the uniforms, the guns. The plot was alright, but to pull it off they just need to capture the flair. I wish them luck!
I think it would be better suited for sci-fi or some cable channel, because a show like this is probably not going to get the ratings enough to keep on braodcast TV, FX would also be a good fit.
I'd rather see a continuation of some sort, but not from ABC. It needs to be on cable to get it done properly. Sci-Fi should really be behnd this one!
Like everyone else,I also enjoyed the original show.

I think some remakes are terrible(almost anything adapted from a British show)and some are great(Battlestar Galactica!).

Lets hope it is done well.
Has hollywood lost it's creativity? Don't get me wrong, I loved the show back in the 80's but, still, can we have someting original? AND GOOD?!
I loved the old show, but I want to hear more before I say what I think about bringing it back.
I loved V back in the day hope it works
I really don't want to see a remake but a continuation of the story, executive producer Kenneth Johnson has been pursuing the networks to make a sequel to the miniseries that he has already written. It's too bad we won't see that.
I used to love the original V when I was younger but I am not sure remaking of it can achieve the same feeling what the original had.
Oh for crying out loud; ANOTHER re-make!?!?!?!?!?!?!?