Vampire Diaries: The Curse of the Evil Doppelganger

Is there a more simultaneously boring and entertaining show on television than The Vampire Diaries? The plotting on the show is nuts, with revelation upon flashback upon twist upon reversal, yet it always seems like nothing is ever happening. Part of this is because the characters are constantly pairing off for private conversations in dark wood-paneled rooms, but another problem is that they regularly go places and do things with almost no explanation or motivation. Half the time I'm watching the show wondering, "Why am I still entertained by this?" But I AM entertained by it, because this show is NUTS.

I'ma be honest, I jumped into The Vampire Diaries during the Season 1 finale, so I'm not going to pretend I'm an expert in this world of monsters in fitted tees. But everyone was saying how great the finale was, so I watched it and it WAS great. Evil twins, suicide attempts, finger-severing, high-pitched town-wide vampire detectors, immortality rings, witches, werewolves, vampire massacres. Holy moly, this show has it all. The problem is, there's so much going on, and there are so many characters and motives, that I think the show might be forcing itself to be boring just so that it doesn't explode from insanity.

But anyway, here's what happened last night. First of all, this was one of those flashback-heavy episodes where the mush-mouthed "teens" are stuffed into period costumes and filmed in lighting so soft I could barely make out what was happening:

You know, as opposed to the regular lighting where I can barely make out what's happening:

Seriously. Look at this next picture… There are three exposed fluorescent lights, and yet I still feel like Helen Keller.

Anyway, like all well-written TV, the episode started with a dream sequence—you know, because nothing raises the stakes like no stakes. But Stefan was having nightmares about Katherine again, and when he startled awake, he did a DOUBLE-STARTLE when he saw that she was SPOONING him in bed. Didn't he notice her curly hair earlier? Elena would never do something as evil as curl her hair.

So of course Stefan wanted ANSWERS and he sort of chained Katherine up in his basement using very weak, very rusty chains that would definitely keep her subdued. Just kidding, she broke out really easily. But not before they had some really, really long expository conversations about that time they were all dressed up in period costumes.

Meanwhile, because it's a federal crime to tell a vampire story and omit werewolves, we were forced to deal with some subplot involving a hunky werewolf uncle and his hunky nephew. Uncle wanted a moonstone, but the nephew definitely didn't know where it was. Except, whenever the uncle walked out of the room, the nephew would take it out and caress it. Quit it, nephew!

Meanwhile Elena attended the world's worst daytime living room party with Damon and Uncle Werewolf where they... did shots, played Win, Lose or Draw, and ate pie? Typical supernatural monster stuff.

Later, Damon attempted to murder the werewolf dude by stabbing him in the heart with a silver carving knife. Not so fast, Damon. In THIS world, werewolves aren't susceptible to silver, because… wait, why? One great thing about The Vampire Diaries is that it invents new rules for vampires and werewolves, but usually the rules just involve mystical jewelry. More than half of the characters wear magic rings, and it almost always solves some internal logistical problem to make the writers' jobs easier. I wonder if the werewolf moonstone will become jewelry soon too? Just kidding, I don't wonder.

But then, in what has to be a series highlight, Elena finally met Katherine face-to-face and it was like two girls being pissed at each other for wearing the same outfit.

I guess we were supposed to wonder why they look so much alike, but that didn't even occur to us because what The Vampire Diaries doesn't know is that soap operas have been using this device for about a century now. Same actor plays a doppelganger. Hijinks ensue. Move on.

After that, Elena had a couple more bafflingly uncompelling scenes. Like, her best friend (and new vampire) weirdly tried to abduct her, and then later she staged a fake fight with Stefan within earshot of some people who might tell Katherine about it. So yeah, Elena had a busy day of boring.

And overall, while certain elements of the episode were definitely of the whoa-let's-slow-things-down-and-save-it-for-the-next-finale variety, the show truly came through in at least one way: Ian Somerhalder's eye-acting.

To those of you who are regular Vampire Diaries watchers, I have SO MANY questions for you...

... Did y'all enjoy this episode?

... Is this shaping up to be a good season or what?

... Are you sort of jealous that I haven't seen most of Season 1?

... Is Nina Dobrev doing a great job playing Katherine?

... Did Jasmine Guy do a good job in Season 1?

... Are you sorta mad that nobody took their shirts off last night?

... Do you miss Jeremy? Are you worried that he might've been eaten by piranhas?

Weigh in below!

Loved it! Just one question though, I realized you think Elena, Stefan (I totally agree with these two) and pretty much most of the characters are boring...so, whitch ones you think are not?

Now to answer your questions (even if I'm a 'little' late; maybe you're still interested): yes; it was a good one...not great, but good; not really, I liked half of season one very much; Nina's great at playng them both; yes she did; not really; no, I'm not worried.
Boring? You lost me at the first sentence.
I actually just think you're kinda retarded lol. You talk about stuff from the show as if you've been watching it this whole time. If you haven't even seen the first seen (except for the season finale) then how are you gonna comment as if you know what you're talking about? Elena does actually curl her hair and twins? Wtf? But we're not suppose to wonder why they look so much alike because we actually watched the first season and you wouldn't wonder why either if you had watched it. As for your questions..,you can stick those up your ass cause you're a moron.
I love your recaps. Hilarious!
You can hardly judge a show based on a few episodes! Especially after you didn't even WATCH the first season, except for the last episode. We'd love to see YOU take on a tv show and see how well you did. The Vampire Diaries is an amazing show and it keeps you guessing and wanting more with every episode. It always leaves you wanting more and it NEVER fails to deliver. The aactors are incredible and they do their job exceedingly well. How you can call this show 'boring' we don't know but you are obviously very single minded. We understand that everyone has a point of view and a right to express those views but not when they are uneducated and have no evidence to suppot them. P.S It's called the 'Victorian Era', they're not just 'stuffed into period costumes'.

From Jessica and Molly
And BTW: Elena did curl her hair..several times. You'd know that if you'd watched whole season 1.
1. Yes. 2. YEEES. 3. Absolutely 3. She's irrelevant. 4. Very dissapointed no one took their shirts off =( 5. Jeremy is boring.
...but was he eaten by piranhas?
That being said, I'll answer some of your questions. I didn't enjoy this episode as much as others but I still liked it enough. I thought it was more predictable, and kind of just got things out of the way for future episodes more than anything exciting happening. I think it's too early to tell if this season will be as good as the last, but I'm hoping it will end up being better even. I think I covered what I thought about you not seeing season 1 (you should!). I think Nina Dobrev is growing on me as Katherine. I think I'm finally starting believe that she can play two separate characters, I think it was probably this episode actually where I found her believable at last. Jasmine Guy did a GREAT job on the first season, you should watch just for her! Haha, I love when the shirts come off, maybe that's why I didn't enjoy this one quite as much (jk!). And I do miss Jeremy. Well I liked him better when he had Vicky or Anna to keep him from seeming like the whiny melodramatic kid that he often is (like Dawn in Buffy) because I really enjoy him outside of hating Elena. But I like that they don't have to show all the characters every episode, because less would happen.
Like many when the first started airing, and it seems like you now, this show was my guilty pleasure. I didn't think it was good, maybe I just watched because I wanted a new Buffy, maybe because of Ian Somerhalder, I don't know. But then, after repeated watching, I was like, I think I actually like this show now. Because it actually got good. Really good. I don't know how it would be coming into the show a season late, I don't know if it will grow on you or not. So far this season I'm finding myself caring about the characters a bit less, so I'm hoping they start showing stronger relationships more or something. I thought your review was really funny, and I think your right on with some of the things you said, and others I get why you'd think that as someone who's just coming on board, even if I don't agree. The only thing I don't agree with is I believe and LOVE the fact that this show is so fast paced. I actually think A LOT happens in each episode, which is probably why I don't dig True Blood so much (I feel like VD does in 2 episodes what True Blood does all season long). I think more shows should be like this. There is almost no throw away episode because every episode we're building up to something and sub-plots are enfolding all the time.
Wanna know what I love abut this show? It's FUN and it's very well made. The actors are ridiculously good looking but they can act, too (who would have thought?). And I'll say it again, it's FUN FUN FUN. I'll stop watching when it stops being fun but somehow I don't see that happening in the near future. Long live TVD!
also , your style sucks , i mean , you narrate each little bit of the episode's story and make some lame pun . I don't know , just don't like the article..
Is anyone else bothered by the fact that the guy who wrote this article hasn't even seen 90% of the show? You kinda speak with no authority
I am a HUGE fan of the show and it hasn't bored me at all since I started watching it. I absolutely love the characters and am REALLY enjoying Season 2 so far, which has been moving along at a great pace, considering that only 4 episodes have aired. Memory Lane' was very revealing, with fantastic acting from Nina Dobrev as Katherine. I absolutely LOVED the barbecue at the Gilbert house and the wolf innuendos were HILARIOUS!

If the person who posted this review hasn't seen the majority of Season 1, then it's really pointless commenting on this episode as they've missed so much of what has lead up to this point. Everyone has done a brilliant job so far and it's definitely the best new TV show I've seen since 'LOST'. It definitely beats the likes of 'Twilight' and 'True Blood' by miles, in terms of acting and storyline.
Did y'all enjoy this episode?
Yes i enjoyed the episode, I was hoping for some more action with the whole werewolve hunt though.

Is this shaping up to be a good season or what?
It is, with Caroline being in Katherine's grasp and all, and Katherine being back at all so this might be really good, plus the whole werewolf/vampire war.

Are you sort of jealous that I haven't seen most of Season 1?
You missed a lot of story I think.

Is Nina Dobrev doing a great job playing Katherine?
Yes, it's like when she plays Katherine she's different, way of speaking, pose everything.

Did Jasmine Guy do a good job in Season 1?
I think she maybe overacted a bit, but she did a fine job.

Are you sorta mad that nobody took their shirts off last night?
...

Do you miss Jeremy? Are you worried that he might've been eaten by piranhas? Nah, Jeremy's storyline was getting tedious and boring and quite pathetic.
I really like this show, and thought s2e4 was great...
I remember watching the first 8 episodes of Vampire Diaries and wondering i did but it shaped up quite well in season 1. This season might still do that. 8 not-so-interesting or intense episodes and then the rest of the season really rocks so im keeping my fingers crossed. Damon is one good reason for me to continue watching.
I find this show surprisingly entertaining for the same reasons you do, I suppose. And yeah, playing Katherine's character proves that Nina can actually act, and that the writers really wanted Elena to have Bella-syndrome (ie, completely devoid of anything remotely functional or resembling intelligence)
It's only boring when Nina opens her mouth and talks in that horrible monotone. Seriously, she sighs at the end of every sentence. Elena is the least interesting character to ever be on tv, FACT :P
ROFLMAO! I'm a vampd fan who appreciates some snark and you've hit the nail on the head. I couldn't have said it better myself. Bad lighting, yawn fest, yeah...you covered it all. Jasmine guy was great. Wish she would have stuck around longer.

Shirts being off would have been swell

So far this season I've been sort of bored but I watch because it's as you said boring and yet so darn entertaining, that I can't not watch. Some hold it has on the viewers I say.
the story might be different but like all these vampire stuff , it all comes down to Vampires vs Werewolves and Hot male vampire in love with a damn powerless human
This was pretty humerous. I love the CW network, and loved it's predecessor the WB. The target audience creates the demand for soapy, fantasy shows, but I STILL say BUFFY was the BEST Vampire show EVER! Forget this "vampire" crap. Angel was the best "good guy" vampire with a SOUL, but YES I still watch OCCASIONALLY just for the fun of it. That blurry picture was hilarious. It must be a fade into the "flashbacks". VERY DARK. Ian IS funny. He HAS amazing eyes, so his facial expressions are REALLY intense(ly funny, sarcastic, but that matches his character.) Dobrev I found to be just another pretty, dark face who mumbles through angsty teen acting, but this role has given her a chance to progress. And YES, whoever made the comment: that pic of Eleana facing Kat is funny. Eleana is puffing out her chest at her! very wierd. I think this writer chose like the WORST screen caps on purpose. It's pretty funny! Though, I think the die-hard fans are offended.
I didn't expect Nina to have the talent she does. She's pulling off Katherine perfectly. You can tell it's her the second she comes on screen.
You have no right to say too much is going on if you haven't seen majority of the first season. It seems like a lot because you jumped in when you did, but if you watched the show from the start, you'd see it's pacing is perfect.
The episode was okay and I think season 2 is shaping up fine so far. Last season's finale was the climax of a lot of story lines that they'd been weaving together. I'm confident the writers have this season plotted out and will be amping up the pressure as we go along. I pity the fool who hasn't seen season 1. Were you not watching that flashback scene that featured Stefan half naked? You've made me question your credentials with that one.
I have watched since the first season but I feel that you still hit the nail on the head. Your opening line had me laughing for 5 minutes. This show seems to always pull me in but at the end of the day, somehow it is boring. I can't lie, i'm going to watch next week and the week after but I am at a loss as to how the writers are introducing new things that seem exciting in the preview, but the episode is still boring but fascinating at the same time, it is a mystery! I like Katherine but hope her storyline evolves in to more than just the evil girl who loved Stefan!
1. Loved it
2. Yes, this season started off super intense and has maintained high ground imo.
3. haha
4. yeah..i actually think she's annoying when she's elena but as katherine i can tolerate her stupid face more. ironically enough...cuz i'm not a fan of katherine herself. haha
5. i guess. i hate bonnie though with all of my heart
6. haha
7. i was hoping his vampire gf would turn him. i'm still sad about her death. :(
Answers to your questions...
1. yes, a lot.
2. Definitely yes :)
3. Nope, your loss :P
4. YEAH!!! she rocks :D
5. hmm....yeah
6. not really
7. yes, no ;)
TVD is an awesome show!!!!
I've watched from the begining and I enjoyed this episode. Its shaping up to be an ok season, it could always be better. Nina Dobrev is doing a good job of playing her role, though I saw a little Katherine in Elena at one point, but maybe that was the intent and the whole thing was a dream, or not. The series has gotten a little darker, I personally like it. Damon has been looking really crazy with his eyes lately, but I think that it makes him look more like what he really is, it was like he was studying Lockwood in an over confident supernatural way.
Season 2 really does suck. i loved second part of season 1 but season 2 just sucks. hate it to admit but CW has ruined all fun with Supernatural and Vampire Diaries. also, i have to admit that Season 4 of Gossip Girl is awesome, it may be the best season yet, totally better than third.
Actually enjoying this season more than the first, just hoping that there is actually a bigger plot twist/motive than Katherine being a *****. Am i the only one that would love Kath to actually be a good character? (Although ultimately killed off).
Perfect review, thanks a lot. I'll be giving a speech on Buffy and her heiresses at a conference and I'm definitely quoting you! And before anyone says anything: I've seen all the episodes of season one and am actually surprised that you grasped the concept of the show so quickly. ;) And don't believe the people who said there is additional info in S1 - I would like to differentiate here: a lot of action: yes/ a lot of story: a tiny bit/ a lot of plot: not so much. By the way, I feel Nina Dobrev isn't very good neither as Elena nor as Katherine, but I'm not sure if it's her acting or the writing. Both characters are so old-fashioned and rather flat.
i think u have no right to judge vampire dairies since u just started. and note that the 4th episode was great. a person like u don't deserve to watch vampire diaries.
Damon Salvatore is the main reason I watch this show, he is great !

But also, the show is actually pretty good, something happens in almost every episode, I just wonder how long they can keep it up until it will feel like a "Days of our lives" soap opera.
i'd like to see jeremy as a warewolf , it suits him..
I didnt enjoy this episode as much !!! but i keep faith in the writers of Vampire Diaries and hope they will pull through just like they did in the first season :P
Also Nina Dobrev plays a better Katherine than Elena :D
Since you have mentioned it .... Jeremy totally vanished o'wat ?
I think you're missing a lot by not seeing season 1. Yes, there is a lot of backstory and explanation/flashbacks there, but also A LOT happens. Great amount of action, and just one thing after another kept being thrown at the viewer. The twists and turns are well done. This season does feel like it's lagging a bit. However, I don't find it as drawn out as other shows that always drag out a plot to death. So it's still pretty good, considering.

As for the lighting: I don't understand those photos, because it definitely was not that bad when I was watching.

A good example of showing a difference between Kat and Elena acting-wise is in the first episode of season 2, where Kat pretends to be Elena in front of Matt while Stefan was there at the Lockwood house (during the memorial/wake or whatever that was). So most of the time, she is on beat.
Best review ever lol i'm still laughing here.

And Ian's eyes acting.... That guy is really good! ( It always freaks me out, in an odd good way, that his eyes follow intensily what he's saying)

The lightining is really creppy too! And too dark... it really confuses the audience...but I think 's the point lol

vampire story without werewolves = federal crime ROTFL
Lol this is EXACTLY how I feel about this show (down to Ian Somerhalder's eye-acting)!
exactly what i was thinking but much funnier than my thoughts!
Well, this show is made for the only purpose: to show how gorgeous Ian Somerhalder is. While I'm waiting for the next season of True blood this girly vampire show is pretty watchable.
You know what's weird? The TIME you wrote this. 1st October 2010 at 10.01? Super freaky!! But good review otherwise, and I think Dobrev is doing a 9/10 job at Katherine. Some of the parts when she's meant to be in pain dont really convince me, but she does well. I think they need to make the distinctions between characters something else other than the hair though. makes it too easy to pick who's who-it should all be in the acting.
Hilarious !!
Just laughed my ass off... I friggin' love your review! But I agree with everything you said... especially, kudos to Ian Somerhalder. Hot and an awesome actor. That boy is goin' places.
I did enjoy the episode. although, caroline is really starting to bug. i am kinda mad nobody took their shirts off though. stephan and damon are both hot. vampire diaries may not be the best vampire story out there, but i think it totally beats twilight which is lame. most entertaining show is supernatural. in my opinion
Man, I Love this article/review! i laughed my guts out!
The Vampire Diaries , is one of the most entertaining series now on TV , if not the most
Forgot to mention my favorite line of this episode.
Katherine to Stefan: I could rip you to shreds and do my nails at the same time. Sting.
I loved the series, I don't know what can be found boring about...different tastes!
Did not miss the guys going shirtless but I don't swing that way. Your picture of Katherine/Elena confrontation, Elena seems a bit - uh - perkier than Katherine. After last weeks episode where so many things happened this weeks slow down was refreshing. To trigger the curse Mason said you had to kill someone, not murder someone. No Bonnie and Jeremy haven't eloped but Jeremy could be trying to resurrect Anna. SPOILER ALERT
SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPECULATION SPECULATION
If you recall one of the reasons for Elena's adoption that could be applied to Jeremy as well. Is someone a wolf in sheep's clothing or Gilbert skin?
Load More Comments