Warehouse 13: Claudia's Magic Metronome

Warehouse 13 S04E02: “An Evil Within”

That entire “Previously on Warehouse 13” intro didn’t bode well for Claudia, did it? I think she managed some vindication by episode’s end, however, despite Head Regent Adwin Kosan’s (I’m always delighted to see Faran Tahir show up on my TV) disapproval of STEVE JINKS’ RESURRECTION, BABY! Boy looks GOOD for a zombie, right?

Okay, now that I’ve gotten that out of my system and adequately braced myself for the unfortunate demise I’m sure Zombie Steve will reach by the end of the season, we can move on.

In Philadelphia, mobs of people were reportedly attacking random individuals after spotting angry tentacle monsters in those individuals’ places. Despite an apparently cold trail and Myka’s aversion to THAT word, she and Pete eventually tracked down Rob, a man who was mourning his fiancée, who'd been killed in a trampling incident at a sports event. Utilizing the key of H. P. Lovecraft, his targets were the people whom he felt contributed to his fiancée’s death: The guy who pushed her over, the woman who didn’t stop to help, and the jerk whose car was parked in the emergency lane, blocking the ambulance from reaching her. They saved the day, we were reminded of why it’s important not to be dicks as we go through our lives, and all was well.

Myka and Pete had a light week, but Claudia, who spent most of last week's Season 4 premiere trapped underground, had quite the emotional workout. This was ruthless “Mr. Knock Knock” Claudia in all her glory, sneaking into the morgue beneath the “Regent Chalet,” zapping guards, and generally just being a badass. Artie intercepted her before she had the chance to work the metronome’s zombie magic on Dead Steve and gave her the standard “We can’t use artifacts for whatever the hell we want” speech. She countered by asking, “If you could use an artifact to set something right...” and oh, Claudia, if you only knew how close to the mark you were. It paused Artie long enough for Jane Lattimer to crash the party and insist that the Regents were totally okay with Claudia resurrecting Steve.

Sure they are.

Whatever. I wanted Steve back just as badly as Miss Donovan. The girl needs some friends. Maybe if she was socialized more she wouldn’t melt into a puddle of psycho when things didn’t go her way. Just a thought.

Claudia brought Steve back and it was kind of anticlimactic, although I was braced for him to, like, reject her offer in the White Room or something. I mean, Steve did his duty, helped save the world, and there was that whole dead sister storyline to consider. If Warehouse 13 had opted to keep Steve dead with some sort of technical detail about the metronome only working if the corpse at hand WANTS to be brought back to life... I could have lived with it. While I’m thrilled to have H.G Wells, Mrs. Frederic, and now Zombie Steve back in rotation, I’m kind of torn because their deaths were pretty great and meaningful and blah blah blah I love a good TV death.

However, all was not well. Jane had acted in defiance of the Regents when she told Claudia that it was okay to resurrect Steve, and Adwin and the others were less than thrilled about the whole arrangement. He said that there were consequences to using artifacts and that without understanding the specifics of the metronome used to zombify Steve, they would have to watch him, always. Steve would be “alive” but he would never be free. He can never leave the influence of the warehouse and the regents, even if he ever decides that he wants to.

Except, of course, as Claudia put it, “If you decide you want to be a butterfly, we can always stop the metronome.”

Zombie Steve is a total goner. Mark my words: That pretty reanimated corpse will be worm food by the end of the season. But in the meantime, I’ll just enjoy having Aaron Ashmore back in this party.

The Regents weren’t the only ones to consider the possibly of Zombie Steve going after innocent brains—a surprise visit from a clueless Brother Adrian, with no recollection of their disastrous first meeting, sent Artie into panic mode about his decision to use the astrolabe. Brother Adrian was sent by the Vatican to track down the missing artifact and put in connection with Artie and his warehouse agents, the world’s experts on artifacts, and the man simply wouldn’t shut up about the evil that was unleashed upon the world. Yet when prodded for more details as to what this “evil” could be, he didn’t have much, just the confirmation that the last time such an evil was unleashed on the world, it did so as Maximilien Robespierre, of Reign of Terror fame. So, the evil CAN be an individual. That’s actually kind of helpful. However, Artie was adamant that he could NOT undo the timeline created by the astrolabe. Good luck with that, bro.

Additional Thoughts from the “Library of Crazy”

– I typically find Warehouse 13’s special effects to be pretty good for a TV show but this episode's were really awful. I’m chalking it up to the “monsters” being the byproduct of an artifact that works with dreams. I’m convinced that “budget cut” is the dirtiest word on Syfy Network.

– So, as I’ve mentioned a bazillion times before, while it’s awesome to have the gang back together, there’s certainly something to be mourned in losing all of those defining character moments/great sacrifices/deaths from last season’s finale. Now with Brother Adrian’s insistence that the only way to stop the evil associated with the astrolabe is to undo the changes made to the timeline, does anyone think Artie MIGHT actually have to undo everything?

Here's what confused me about the folks who saw the monsters. At first, I assumed the artifact also provoked extreme fear, but if that was the case then Myka would have still been scared to see Pete that way, and eventually I could tell that the creatures DID NOT provoke fear. Sooo, that leaves these people, especially the gym folks, killing a hideous creature that is trying to run away and/or crouching in fear. Where was everyone's compassion???
I would have been okay with Jimmy Olson staying dead.

The monster/hallucinations were cheesy with a side of Gouda.

Myka really needs to invest in a mirror, and her peers really need to tell her when she forgets to do her hair.

I am sick of impending doom crap already. And if they reverse everything to the moment when Artie uses it, sounds like a series finale to me. And not a very good one.

So big question: why is Jane so interested in Jinx? Seriously, he is the first 'agent' whose death was a tragedy that needed to be fixed? Seriously?
Analyzing this nonsense seems rather pointless. WH 13 is what it is and although I love it, it's pretty much like analyzing a Tom & Jerry cartoon or Eureka...
My question is: if Artie does wind up restoring the timeline, eventually, does that mean Pete will end up dead again? Or would the restoration zap them all back to after the Warehouse explosion... but before their attempt to use the astrolabe?

Thoughts?
If it goes back and Pete's dead, then maybe Steve will give up the metronome for him.
You people just like saying "Astrolabe..."
Scariest thing in this episode was Myka's hair. WOW!
That coupled with the smeared make up. What the heck happened?
I really hope that they find a different way to combat this "evil" because it would suck if Artie used the astrolabe to undo this timeline. When he used it the first time, only one episode was erased, but if it was used again, it would most likely be later in the season and all the things we watched during the season would be erased.

Does anyone else think that maybe Artie becomes the "evil" and that the vision he keeps seeing is Claudia trying to stop him?
W13's effects good? I have apparently been watching a different Warehouse 13 then.

Jinks' death was only 72 hours? (The number of minutes Claudia said he was dead for.) That season break really made it feel like a lot more. I know Artie rolled back the clock so it's really 96 hours to the viewer, but it felt like weeks in the show's timeline as well.

As for the main storyline, it was fine but really nothing of note, and the solution at the end seemed so simple that I have to wonder WHY PETE LET GO OF THE KEY WHEN JERKFACE PUT IT IN HIS HAND!!! This felt like a plot that had more to say, we never even found out what the actual deal with the key was.

Artie's storyline really still feels like it's not done setting up, and that's a shame because it's a relatively simple one.
"but it felt like weeks in the show's timeline as well."

Really? They found him recently dead in "Emily Lake / Stand" which was the episode RIGHT before the season finale. Then the season finale took place with them confronting Sykes. And the season premiere took place IMMEDIATELY after the explosion.

So, I imagine he died 1-2 days before the explosion, then Claudia left the evening after Sykes' bomb-attempt, then 1-2 days of Claudia trying to find and break into the Regent's morgue to get the body. 3 days sounds about right.
You can't fault someone who is saying what something felt like, as a matter of point they can't be wrong - unless there is some artifact involved like one that throws off your feelings. Perhaps like Al Bundy's shoe horn...
If they have to set back the timeline to the time that artie used it, then not only would the warehouse, miss fredericks, jinks, and HG Wells be dead, but Claudia would be stuck underground, Myka would be in jail, and Pete would be dead.
So, how tough do you really think that would be to get out of? It's a freakin' warehouse for Chrissake...
No to mention, it would pretty much be the end of the world. Honestly, if not for Pandora's Box being opened and the world descending into hopeless chaos... Artie might not have persued it. Or at the very least would consider undoing the timeline even if it meant people he knew were dead.

HOWEVER, we don't know what "undo it" means. That it would reset to the point to when Artie was about to click the watch for the first time (and decide not to) OR if it would reset to where Artie was by the elevator with Pete's corpse.
See, like I said, overanalyzing this nonsense only leads to chaos...
i like Aaron Ashmore and have since whenever but boy was i upset when they were bringing him back. until i remembered his character was gay and it was a-okay. it's been long enough that i was thinking him and claudia used to hook up. and with his recent stint on lost girl him not only hooking up with Ksenia Solo but with Allison Scagliotti too would have been too much.

as for the episode i'm glad claudia didn't stay dark for long, that storyline is too cheap. also cheap were the special effects as you pointed out but that's livable. slightly less livable is the constant use of "some big bad is coming." like a long drawn out relationship wrought with sexual tension i'm over it.

maybe i'm just being critical because i wasn't inebriated but i also felt the tentacle bit was cheap and out of place. i'm sure they've used a myka phobia before.

on the loss of defining moment character deaths i'm inclined to agree. they're cheapened. but i'm glad to have all of the characters back too. the showrunners can make it up to use by firing the lone writer responsible for killing off the characters in the first place and not making that same decision again.
Staff
Yeah, I'm happy to have everyone back for now and I'm excited about the big bad evil that Artie unleashed upon the world. They DO need to have it show up sooner than later though. I feel like if they drag it out too long, constantly dropping hints at THE BIG BAD without having the big bad DO anything...it'll inevitably be disappointing when the big bad IS revealed.
So THAT's what caused the Philly flash mobs.
The ending definitely foretold some very bad luck heading Artie's way. I like that everyone's back, but I know it's not gonna stay that way unforturnately. Drastic actions usually lead to very bad consequences, and I'm really wondering what they'll be now.
Actually "budget cut" are probably the most common words at SyFy Network.

Let's hope they give Brent Spiner more to do this season than go on about undying evil, yada yada. Anyhow, how do you tell an artifact has been used if it rewinds time so that it was never used?
Chaos!!!
As Black Mage said, if they're carefully guarding it and notice it was gone... then chances are someone at LEAST stole it.

And depending on how frequently you check up on it and how good your security system is... you can probably determine whether it "vanished" (and was used) or simply stolen. Like if the elevator thing vanished but they could tell nobody had entered.

Then again, in a world where people have objects that can turn them invisible and walk through walls... it WOULD be hard to say 100% certain that it was used.
If you watch TV then you realize that no security system is worth a damn...
It turns out to be lost despite that fact you guard it 24-7 add to that the eyepiece is also missing, and the only reason to steal both is to turn back time? C'mon of all the things in this show that you can't suspend disbelief for...?
I agree- suspending disbelief on this show is a real chore sometimes. Perhaps if we all had access to the Pearl of Wisdom.

How's that for a pearl of wisdom? I found it in my pocket, btw...
And he I was hoping that they were hint to drag out dark Claudia for a couple episodes. I mean the hairstyles alone would have been worth it. But alas I am glad that the gang is all back together. The artifact of the week was all right they have had better but mika's fear of tentacles was hilarious. As for Claudia's plot that was pretty good, I had a inclination that Pete's mom wasn't entirely playing by the rules when they brought jinx's boys to her room. But it was interesting, and I was under the impression that she was n charge. I am unsure about Jinx coming back, it gives them more to use and come up with for Artie's plot, but we shall see. As for the great evil, if it is of Artie's creation it is going to be fantastic. I can't wait. Love the show and look forward tote rest of the season.
That's the stuff...
Staff
Claudia's evil office worker hair was AMAZING.

Myka's tentacle problem was pretty great, especially her aversion to the very WORD. I have a few friends who get grossed out by certain words and I constantly pull a Pete in their presence. I'll have to see if"tentacles" is on their list of no-no words.
"If you use the astrolabe, you will create an evil of your own making; an evil that will live with you to the end of your days." - Brother Adrian to Artie re:the consequences of sex (don't ask why Artie calls it the astrolabe).
He likes saying it...
That's kind of true... you have a religious person telling you not to do something because something vague and "bad" will happen. When that's the same line they give for various other things.

On the other hand, we've seen that typically the more powerful the artifact... the bigger the back-swing. I'd imagine turning back time 24 hours has a pretty big back swing.