Warehouse 13's Mid-season Finale: Back to the Future

Warehouse 13 S04E10: “We All Fall Down”

The vision that's been haunting Artie all season long finally came to fruition tonight, and it wasn’t at all how he expected it to be. At this point, I guess it was somewhat of a given that Claudia wouldn’t be going Dark Side after all, and in my mind, that meant that the threat of her playing Brutus to Artie’s Julius Ceasar was a thing of the past. Well, aren’t I just silly.

With Brother Adrian and the rest of the Brotherhood assisting in the hunt for a cure to Artie’s crazy, and Pete taking cues from what appeared to be Leena’s ghost, Artie hit the road to find a very dangerous artifact from Warehouse 8 that would force Mrs. Frederic to let him use the astrolabe again, since she wasn’t too keen on letting him anywhere near it anytime soon. As of the conclusion of “We All Fall Down,” Magellan’s astrolabe is still safe and sound with H.G Wells and H.G. appears to be way off the grid... which prompted Artie to enact his contingency plan.

Deep in the bowels of the long-gone Warehouse 8 there was an orchid that was capable of spreading a lethal “sweating sickness” across the globe. The orchid was so dangerous that the operatives of the time sealed the flower in an airtight glass case and when Warehouse 8 was eventually replaced by Warehouse 9, they simply left it buried beneath the old building—currently the headquarters of a German insurance firm. Insurance. How exciting. On a side note, though, isn’t it kind of delightful how mundane locations can secretly have awesome histories? Take Monroeville Mall, near my hometown, which is a nice-enough mall full of typical, nice-enough mall things until you learn that the original Dawn of the Dead was filmed there in the '70s and suddenly the suburban staple is infinitely cooler because ZOMBIES.

Anyway, Claudia and the de-zombified Jinks were dispatched to Europe to locate the orchid before Artie, but all they found was a clue directing them to a small mill where the plant had been moved. Unfortunately, Artie already knew about the relocation, probably from those old Warehouse 8 records he torched before his pursuers could read them. He also tracked down the knife. THE KNIFE. The one Claudia was prophesied to use against him in his visions. The knife was meant to be used to crack the deadly orchid’s otherwise-impenetrable glass case. Utilizing the time-stopping barometer from the USS Eldridge, Evil Artie’s evil plan went through almost entirely without a hitch. Emphasis on ALMOST.

That moment when Claudia realized that the team had been manipulated into the very scenario they had tried so hard to avoid made this admittedly uneven season worth it. While the artifacts and the missions are fun and (usually) exciting, the relationships between these characters are, for me, the reason I keep watching. Where the Season 3 finale was devastating in the scope of what was lost, there was a smidgen of comfort to be found in the unity of the remaining warehouse agents. Artie had a plan and the others rallied around that plan.

This mid-season finale brought about a complete inversion of that situation, and yet the feelings of loss are almost exactly the same. The world is threatened, but that’s par the course for finales. The remaining warehouse agents are anything but united, as fractured as Artie’s sanity. In the end, the orchid’s deadly contagion was sent into the world as Evil Artie planned, and while a solution isn’t apparent at the moment, I suspect that fixing the orchid problem will be easier for the survivors than fixing their relationships with each other. Steve seemed certain that there is no cure for Artie’s condition, but stopped short of saying as much to Claudia (though she got the message loud and clear anyway). Evil Artie may have twisted words and situations to hurt his agents' feelings and throw them off-kilter in their fight against him, but his verbal daggers were sharpened with some blunt facts: Pete really does feel guilty over his father’s death, Myka has often felt alienated by being “smarter” than everyone in the room, and Claudia desperately wants nothing more than to be loved and accepted by the people she cares about. Should Mrs. Frederic and the Brotherhood succeed in restoring Artie’s sanity, he must still live with what he did to Leena and what he said to the others. Throughout “We All Fall Down,” we saw flashes of the genuine Artie struggling against his dark alternate persona, which means that on some level, the real Artie is “in there.” He will always know that Leena died by his hand. Pete, Myka, and Claudia will know that even though Artie didn’t mean what he said while under the astrolabe’s influence, the taunts were crafted from knowledge that the real Artie possessed.

Artie is not the only warehouse operative who will have to live with his actions—assuming he lives to see the second half of this season. Despite the best of efforts to avoid Artie’s vision, in the end, Claudia stabbed Artie with the knife, as she was meant to all along. The decision didn’t come easily and Claudia certainly didn’t embrace it willingly. Artie is her mentor, her father figure, her boss, and her friend. He’s the reason she found a place at the warehouse and she knows that she owes him everything. Out of everyone, Claudia kept her faith in Artie the longest, refusing to believe that he had killed Leena and duped them all. Evil Artie ridiculed her loneliness and longing for friends and family, but in some ways, those things have always been a source of strength for Claudia. She doesn’t take friendship or family lightly. It took her twelve years to free her brother from his inter-dimensional limbo back in Season 1, but she was ruthless and determined and she did it. When it was revealed that Claudia’s role in the warehouse was to be the backup caretaker in the event Mrs. Frederic was ever unable to continue her duties, Claudia stepped up to her fate, despite her horror at being forced into the position. At the time, she made Artie promise to never again force her into doing something against her will, and while Artie and the others certainly didn’t put the knife in her hand and blatantly force it, she still found herself left with only one option to act on in order to save the warehouse. She’s not going to be very happy when we come back in April, I’m sure.

Additional Notes from the “Library of Crazy”

– When Jinks complained about being the backup team for Myka and Pete, Claudia corrected him with,“We aren’t the B-team, fool! We’re the second A-team!” Preach it, Claudia!

– Behold, Pete Lattimer not being written as a buffoon. Isn’t it beautiful? Can we have more of that when Warehouse 13 returns in April, writers?

– Also, more Ghost Leena. Mrs. Frederic said that she broke a promise to Leena by enabling her to be killed. I feel like Mrs. Frederic isn’t the sort of person to make promises lightly. Is there still hope for Leena to return in the flesh?

– What do you think we’ll see when Warehouse 13 returns?

– What do you WANT to see when Warehouse 13 returns?

Warehouse 13 "We All Fall Down" Photos

How is this a "mid-season finale" when they take a six month break at episode 10 only to then show the last two episodes at the end of April…?! Who comes up with such dumb ideas…?!?
when will the show be back?
Seems like you missed something in the end -- Artie murmurs the phrase "cast you out", which Claudia hears and realizes is important in some way. She shouts it when she stabs Artie; that probably "cast out" the evil "demon" Artie, so that we can have the last two episodes with the real Artie back.

In that light, Claudia didn't stab him to save the warehouse; he'd already released the flower and they had him under control. She most likely stabbed him because she was hoping that she had guessed right, and that the "magic words" combined with the dagger will restore Artie.

Also, what the heck is up with them waiting almost six months, just to bring us two episodes? So stupid.
They are NOT going to bring back Leena. Genelle Williams was credited as a GUEST STAR on the last episode. And Im sure, they'll easily replace her. SO you Leena haters got your wish. She is gone from the show.

And they wont be able to turn back time again I wish everyone would stop saying that. If they did that Leena would be alive but Steve, Pete and Claudia and HG would be dead which would be fine by me.

This show has lost me as hardcore fan. You got rid of my fave character, Leena for no reason other than this network being cheap and I hope next next year it gets cancelled for being gone so long.

It's new season don't care what they call it, 4.5? its a joke, 2013 is a new year and we all know what happens when they split a season, its goodbye time.

The clock is ticking. and I will cheer when it gets cancelled. because this show is clearly running out of ideas.
I like Leena, but I hope she stays dead. If the writers continue to "resurrect" every character that dies, then there won't be any stakes. Any time a character is in peril, we won't care, because they'll just come back to life anyway.

HG's death was beautiful, but then she was brought back. Jinky's death was powerful, then he was brought back. I love these characters, but every once in a while, SOMEONE is going to have to stay dead, if we're going to continue to care.

That being said, I hope Leena makes come backs every once in a while as a ghost, cause that was both creepy and touching.
Wow, what a cliffhanger!! Exciting episode from beginning to end. I loved it!! The ending really fooled me. For a while I didn't think the prophecy would come true, but in some way it did, and the consequences could be devastating not only for the world, but for the team as well. Evil Artie was quite the master manipulator!!
Monroeville? Dammit, you ARE a Penguins fan! Say it ain't so, Sleaz!

Aaaaaaaaanyway...all I have to say, in so many censored words, is I F-ing hate G-D cliffhangers.
Maybe cliffhangers were invented to make people go back to the movies next week. I just find them totally annoying. I don't mind an arc but I also want a solution (cancelled shows are even more frustrating). Having to wait half a year just leaves me annoyed at the show; if anything, it makes me want to watch it LESS. How about making your customers happy, people?
I agree with you because the momentum they built up thus far will be long forgotten by the time the show comes back.
I suspect Claudia will become the guardian of Warehouse 14, but that would happen when the series ends.

I also suspect the infection will be stopped by the leaves of the plant being bagged.

I was wondering how Warehouse 8 stopped that mess.
Just shoot him already! They had him right there, non-lethal electro guns already drawn, and yet they try to take a moment to reason with him KNOWING HE HAS ARTIFACTS ON HIM AND IS READY TO USE THEM. So what happens, he pulls out an artifact and stops time. Morons. Idiots. Ruined the whole episode for me.
I totally agree. They had nothing to lose and everything to gain by zapping them the second they had a chance. Silly.
How can they call it a mid season finale if the show isn't back until April. I guess I'm angry because the episode was pretty great. Not a fan of the schedule though,
It's the way they treat their seasons. They split a single 20 episode season into two halves and run them over two years.

As well as the fact that I want Leena back and that it seems like time travel is the only way to put things right again, I also very highly doubt that they'll do that. These guys are really quite creative and I think that they've probably got a special little trick up their sleeves.
Evil Artie was just....evil. I mean in the past if you wanted to see what Artie's dark side look like well there you go. Evil Artie was definitely a bad ass but he had to be stopped. I think when the show returns next year there will be a trip back in time. I mean a plague has been put into the world and I think just like with the destruction of the Warehouse, going back in time will be the only thing to fix it if there isn't any other option. Besides I want Leena back.
HG!!!!!
I would have been more impressed with the orchid if they had put it in something more secure and less breakable. It looks less like a threat to humanity and more like a tchotchke wobbling on a great aunt's shelf alongside Hummel figurines.

This was an exciting episode, but it kept feeling like it would have been over a lot quicker had anybody on the team simply Tesla'd Artie any of the half-dozen opportunities they got.
That was kind of disappointing. I was hoping for a longer reign of Artie being on the dark side. Not that I particularly liked it but I think that it would have allowed the team to grow more mature and closer and really it only did a half of that. It got Pete to be more mature and Claudia as well, but Jinx has some self-esteem issues. B team, really? You have been the undead for half the season.

As for the wrap up of the story thus far. It was ok. It is kind of annoying to believe that Artie can continually get the drop on all of them, including Mrs. Frederick, over and over again. I know he is the man and all, but the lot of them should be able to equal if not surpass one Artie. Or at least be able to kneecap him before he does anything.

Oh and hey there is a Warehouse B team that apparently guarded a flower and failed at their job. But at least we know that Claudia has been working with Myka on some fighting skills. Way to go Claudia.

Speaking of Claudia, it was nice to see her step up and actually stab Artie I am sure that next season she will have barely missed his lung and heart or something dangerous and he will be fine.

Notes.

Jinks, needs to stop being a whiner.

Pete not being a moron is always welcomed. Hopefully there will be more of that in the second half of the season. This season has emphasized that at some point and time there isn't going to be an Arite and a Mrs. Frederick. And the team is going to have to step up into their roles. Now Claudia is obviously the choice for Mrs. Frederick. But who is going to be the choice for Artie, the obvious choice is Myka for her intelligence, but she has already bagged out once. And Pete stepped up. So it might really be Pete that will eventually fill Artie's role. So it would be nice to see him step up more and not be so cartoonish in the second half of the season.

I think there is going to be ample ways to bring Leena back. It is the warehouse, certainly there is some type of artifact that can do that. But given her role throughout the series. Is her being a ghost wandering around the Warehouse anything different than what she previously was doing?

I think we are going to see them scramble to stop the plague with sweaty T-shirts and brows. And they will come up with something to either abate it or reverse it. I am not sure it is going to the astrolabe, due to that is going to have t be used towards the end of the season so that HG can sacrifice herself again and Jinks can actually die this time.

What I want to see happen is I wan the characters to progress. And since dark side Artie didn't last long and the Brotherhood was merely a figment of Artie's broken psyche. They need a big bad. Granted the plague is going to take them a few episodes to contain and fix. But when they after that? What is going to be the big thing that they are going to have to fight against. What is going to be the overall story arc? I want to see another big bad and I want to see Pete not acting like a child. I want to see the Pharmacy rep that was recruited by the Regents. And I want to know why they didn't bronze the guy with the artifact shrapnel in his chest.

Staff
I would totally embrace more evil Artie, especially since he was finally given the opportunity to go full-blown evil. I kind of hope that there's still some evil shenanigans to be had. If it's just a matter of stabbing the crazy out of him, I'll be pretty disappointed.

Jinks' griping kind of caught me off guard too. I mean, the whole hunt for the orchid/Artie/knife was very much one of those big "all hands on deck" missions where every part was important. Like, what do you have to whine about, bro?

"Is her being a ghost wandering around the Warehouse anything different than what she previously was doing?" Nope, which is why I vote for permanent Ghost Leena.

I am right there with ya. Prepare to be disappointed I think the "I cast you out" was directed towards evil Artie. So I am pretty sure he is gone. The only evil I think they could possibly bring back is HG, because she has the astrolabe. But I think it would be a bad decision to do that. Because this would be the what, third time she was the bad guy.
April is such a long time to wait. I really don't like that SyFy does that to their shows, cause I forget some of the plot points after that long of a time between episodes. :(
They had the wrong crest on the Hungarian officers' hats.
The flower getting loose suggests to me that they'll turn back time again and Leena will come back. Otherwise, I figured we'd get a Leena as apparition storyline. I'm not really thrilled with either path.
Staff
I feel like the flower was so unnecessary. There was already a lot going on with Leena dead and Artie all evil and crazy. It's definitely the least interesting cliffhanger out of all of them.
I totally agree with you on the flower, Maryann.

They need to accept that death can't be constantly reversed if they want to be taken seriously even on the level they're going for.
I think you missed the whole point of why Claudia stabbed Artie. The dagger she used cast's things out it is the abilty that it has. So by stabbing Artie with it she cast the darkness out of Artie, in effect saving him. That's why she stabbed him. I predict the'll use the astrolabe again and rewind time again and now that they know how to cure Artie they will stab him with the dagger before he ever killed Leena and all is right with the warehouse thirteen gang, I think it will either be Claudia or HG who uses the astrolabe this time. I guess they'll have to stab whoever uses it the second time as well. Let me know what you think.
That was my thinking, hence Claudia's eyes going wide with her "a-ha!" moment and repeated the line when stabbing Artie.

Beyond using the Astrolabe though, they're kind of stuck. They have 24-hours before tons of people die across the globe.
Staff
I think you probably called it. The dagger stuff was easy to miss, especially with so much chaos at the end of this episode, so I totally apologize for that. I still don't think Claudia is going to be too happy about what she had to do though, even if it saved the day. Though I guess if they turn back time again it will never have happened, depending on who they have use the astrolabe.
It would be interesting if they have HG use the astrolabe because it would in effect turn her into a bad guy again but this time it won't be her fault. They'll probably have her use it and then the second part of the season will be them trying to save HG from the darkness before she trys to destroy the world again. I think Artie is the one who is gonna be totally different after this whole experience. They'll probabably have Caudia stab him the second time as well just so they can use it as a plot device throughout the rest of the season.
i don't like these mid-season breaks much,but what are you going to do? usually with these kinds of cliffhangers are resolved in a few minutes after the break...impossible to know for sure...maybe it won't work because he arti was released b/4 the orchaid hit pete"s hand???