Warehouse 13's Season 4 Premiere: The Artie Strikes Back

Warehouse 13 S04E01: “A New Hope”

Warehouse 13's fourth season opened with a crater in the place where the warehouse once stood. H.G. Wells, Steve Jinks, and Mrs. Frederic are all dead. Claudia’s getting in touch with her dark and scary side again. Oh, and the explosion that leveled the warehouse itself also blew open Pandora’s Box (yes, that one) and sucked the world’s hope dry.

Things were looking, well, kind of hopeless.

I was struck at the conclusion to last season by just how dark Warehouse 13 was willing to get. Don’t get me wrong, I love it. I’m a Supernatural fan and I’m used to facing each episode with a handful of antidepressants. But it doesn’t change the fact that it’s a little jarring, right, to kill off three major characters in the span of 1.5 episodes, and then just keep going, plaguing the hopeless new world with riots, a downward-spiraling economy, and mass suicides. This is the same series that featured a homicidal Santa Claus a few seasons back, right?

Don’t worry, it’s cool. Amid the burning rubble and horrifying news headlines, Artie busted out MacPhearson’s pocket watch and insisted that while the watch itself wasn’t a failsafe that could restore the warehouse, their fallen friends, and the world, it WAS the key that could lead them to an artifact that could.

Of course, there was a catch—first a small one, and then later, a very, VERY big one.

Faced with only 23 hours to find the mysterious artifact that could restore everything that was lost, Artie, Claudia, Pete, and Myka found themselves trekking from South Dakota to France to the Vatican and then back to South Dakota, putting (literal) pieces of an astrolabe together and losing members of their little troupe, one at a time, along the way as if part of the worst Zelda quest ever. While the plot itself, despite moving at a hectic pace, still managed to feel a little tedious at times with the whole “go-here-and-get-this-and-go-there-and-get-that” narrative, the obvious conclusion of a restored warehouse did not, by any means, ensure happily ever after for all—sort of how Luke Skywalker facing off with Daddy Vader in The Empire Strikes Back, while essential, was also kind of a bad life choice.

So, where are we left standing with the warehouse (and hope) restored?

H.G. Wells and Mrs. Frederic are alive. I’m torn on their resurrection. On one hand, they’re awesome characters and I’m thrilled to have them back, but on the other hand, H.G.’s sacrifice at the end of “Stand” was SO PERFECT. Artie’s new faith in her and his advocacy for her freedom was a nice development for him, but I can’t help but feel like we’ve taken a step back in HER development by erasing one of her most defining moments. Sure, we KNOW what she did and what she’s capable of, but for the most part, her resurrection and the erasure of that defining moment did nothing more than reestablish the status quo, and status quo H.G is prone to making some questionable decisions.

I’m okay with Mrs. Frederic being back. It makes sense, considering her biological tie to the warehouse as the caretaker. Furthermore, her death was never a decision on her part, nor did it do much to advance the Warehouse 13 story. We’ve known about her tie since Season 2 and in a way, we’ve always been aware of her fate as it relates to the warehouse. While it was a startling death, it wasn’t an unexpected death once the destruction of the warehouse was ensured. But I love the fact that she’s totally onto Artie, even though he has no choice but to remain silent about how he saved the world.

Finally, there’s Steve (and Claudia.) As of the conclusion of “A New Hope,” our beloved Steve remains our dearly departed Steve and Claudia is TOTALLY SICK OF IT. You can’t really blame the girl; every single friend she’s made has been taken away. Armed with the magical metronome, she was reluctant to join Artie and the others on their globetrotting mission to restore the warehouse. Maybe it was just the hopelessness talking, but she believed that while all was lost, she could, at the very least, bring Steve back. She only really agreed to participate in the mission because Artie promised that restoring the warehouse would restore Steve.

Whether his decision to use the astrolabe to go back only far enough to save the warehouse—leaving dead Steve, well, dead—was a deliberate one or an unintentional limitation of the artifact itself, is irrelevant. In the aftermath of their victory over Sykes, a determined Claudia slipped out of Leena’s with what appeared to be the metronome in tow. Girl is on a mission, man, and I wouldn’t mess with her. We all know how Claudia gets when she’s running on nothing but rage and determination. I’d say let her have her Steve, but knowing what we do about artifacts and how there is always a dark side to using them, I’m guessing that would be a bad move as well.

Brother Adrian warned Artie that using the astrolabe to turn back time and save the warehouse would “create an evil that follows you the rest of your days.” At the time, I assumed that he was talking about something related to Artie himself, but is anyone else entertaining the idea that he might have been referring to Claudia?

Regardless of whether or not she’s understandably upset or in full-blown Sith lord mode, I’m still on the girl’s side. For now. It’s CLAUDIA, after all.

What about you? Where do your current allegiances lie? What do you hope we see this season?

Additional Thoughts from the “Library of Crazy”

– PETE! Everybody on this show gets such epic death scenes, but Pete’s demise at the hands of Brent Spiner’s Brother Adrian (oh hey, Data, hey) was really heartbreaking, even knowing that it was going to be reversed by the end of the episode. When asked by the dying Pete if Pete would remember being dead once the timeline was restored, Artie responded, “No, you won’t... but I will.” Pass the tissues, kids. I’m kind of a mess right now.

– We learned that the random football flying around the warehouse is an artifact tracker, not an artifact itself. AWESOME.

– “Hey Pooh-bear, you want to let me do that?” Our current incarnation of revenge-obsessed Claudia makes me long for quirky awesome Claudia and her epic bromance with Artie. I’m currently clinging to every lighthearted moment we get.

Well, I'm pretty sure the author of this blog wasn't paying enough attention to some so-called questions she has, that are not questions. First, the watch only would reverse so much time and I'm pretty sure the death of Steve fell outside of that time frame. It was not Artie's choice at all, so just how are you getting that lol? In any event, the bottom line here is that Artie did not choose at all to leave Steve dead, he just made the watch work with the astrolabe as best he could - no "choice" in it. next, it was not 100% stated that Mrs. Fredericks was "dead". They just said she was gone, which could mean dead, but anyone who watches ANY of these scifi TV shows, well knows, there are so many other things that could be construed from this, which is exactly what these series go for to leave it open just what happens - maybe she went into a limbo somewhere in the universe - who knows - the warehouse folks certainly did not; they were just making an educated conclusion based on what knowledge they had. Also, in the case of Mrs. Fredericks and other characters who disappeared or actually died when hope was lost, it makes sense that the writers would have to leave an opening in case Artie must reverse what he did and Mrs. Fredericks and others end up dead or gone again, so that they have the option of bringing them back in the "reversed" scenario lol. As far as Claudia, yes she has lost lots of folks, but well, like all of these sci fi series, the script has the actor go out of character in one way or another and it becomes unbelievable, as it did with Claudia. If you are showing a character has had development and growth, as they did with Claudia, then the way Claudia regressed back to the Claudia that treated Artie badly to get her brother back was not realistic. Yeah, maybe she wanted to bring Steve back, but turning completely on Artie, not believable. And then she becomes all sweet again after she gets her way? And the regents suddenly become tons more lenient? Mr. Kosan? AND, they let Claudia stay in the warehouse after she shows extreme disobedience and conscious and willful disregard for anyone but herself, which she would have carried out, whether or not Pete's mom had sanctioned it? All of that is totally unbelievable, and deviations from the characters and how they have been developed. The writers should have written a more complex script, at least a little. I find there are lots of real flaws in how the series suddenly has an actor go out of character...without the help of an artifact lol. Most of the time they do a pretty good job, but too often, they have a character do something they would not do or act in a way that they would not. Btw, Brother Adrian was never referring to Claudia lol. Again, how do you get that?? All he said was that there was some nondescript bad bad evil that would be created by Artie that would follow Artie. Given the subsequent episodes after the one where Brother Adrian died when he said that, almost seems as if Adrian doesn't really know what this "Evil" is lol. Okay, maybe he does, but he's really just an annoying character in my opinion. Artie asks what evil and Data basically responds, It's really really bad and it's evil and super bad evil and it will follow you, and you made it, oh yeah, i forgot to be specific when i was dying last time, and i should have said that it will be following everyone else too, and nyeah, nyeah, I'm not going to tell you anything else, it's just Evil evilness, so there. That is a little dumb in my opinion, and the "evil" chant is growing quite tedious and old.
I can't believe they would kill Steve off (for good) after all the attention his new character got being part of the team. Then they made him even more interesting (gay) and then Pete was like totally cool straight guy about it.

Does anyone know if the actor who plays Steve has been told he's off the show or not???
Well that sucked. I knew from the moment Artie pulled out that stupid watch at the end of season 3 that they were going to just rewind or undo the things that happened and I hated the thought of that. It's the easy way out. The classic TV style to just make sure everything is where it was before.

They could have done so much with "rebuilding" the warehouse, or building Warehouse 14. With artifacts hurled away in the explosion causing havoc in nearby areas. But they chose the easy way. Just hit the reset button. I hate it. 5 out of 10 points for the season premiere and that's generous and just for Data and the promise of "a cursed Artie". I just hope they build upon that evil linked to the artifact and make something good out of that.
The artifact was only capable of going back 24 hours and I believe that Steve died prior to that 24 hour limit. The reason that claudia went with them to retrieve the failsafe instead of just going with the metronome and bringing back Steve is because the group convinced her that they couldn't do it without her and that it wasn't right to bring Steve back into a world with no hope.

All in all it was a good episode in my opinion, I do hope that they bring Steve back, he was a good partner/friend for Claudia and a great character. Perhaps they bring him back and his death lead him to feel that it's too dangerous to be in the warehouse crew so he leaves, that way he is able to come back again for later episodes...?
Watered down TV. It's an SF parallel to soap operas. Or an all-ages super-hero comic book. I was fine with it for a season or two, but lost interest - it's not going anywhere in particular.
Sounds like someone is "Jonesing" for "Terra Nova", that epitome of what a sci fi on TV is intended to be. Oh, wait! THAT was a sci fi soap opera that didn't even last one season! I don't know why you say it was watered down, but hey, I liked it, and will continue to watch, even though the last two episodes were not the usual light-hearted fare that W13 has been known for. Even though it is just a summer series, I enjoy it a lot more than some of its more heralded cousins on network TV.

Artie rules!
I had to laugh when they made use of the football. Since the pilot that thing has been flying about and to make use of it as something more than just a football artifact was clever.

I'm on team Claudia, unless they pit Claudia against HG Wells, in which case all bets are off.
After all these years, Brent Spiner finally gets his revenge on Saul Rubinek...
LOL, I'd forgotten that. Wasn't the episode called "Artifacts"

Star Trek: The Next Generation, season 3, episode 22: "The Most Toys."
You know, I still see that character - or the shadow of it - every time I see Artie. Powerful stuff.
The magic wand strikes again. Every time something grave or dramatic happens on SciFi shows they end up wiping the slate clean. Gosh how I miss BSG and SGU, the worst part was Eureka finale (remembering the hard blows it dealt to their characters in the beginning with the whole alternate time storyline).
Nice way to bring the Warehouse 13. I the doom and gloom prophecy told by Brent Spiner's character about an evil that will be unleahed when Artie turned back time and I knew it would be something about Claudia.

I love Claudia, love her but come on girly. If she brings back, and we know that ain't happening, I think the knowledge of how he return from the land of the dead is going to eat and eat at her. And I think Steve will be the angriest at her for what she did.

i do think that Claudia should be justified in her anger. but i did notice in the episode that Claudia did seem to look really dark. her clothes and makeup. indicative of how the rest of the season will go? i think so.
I thought it was great. Every show needs a little shake up now and then. And Claudia going dark side is going to be great. Allison Scagliotti is a great actress and she should be able to dark side very well. She still had the best one liners. Her "Pooh Bear" comment was fantastic.

But the rest of the episode was good. Guys in robes? Check. Guy in robe throwing a knife, check check. Guy in robe that threw the knife delivers ominous warning, Check check check. Every Sci fi show needs at least one guy in a Robe at some point.

As for HG and Ms Frederic still being there. I am ok with it. HG is a great character and if Claudia does indeed go dark side they are going to need her for at least a little bit. Same with Ms Frederic. And considering the actress that plays HG is on a show this fall. And probably won't be back, it does leave her able to make another sacrifice to save Claudia. Same with CCH Pounder. So I am ok with that.

The only thing I am iffy on. Is the further dumbifcation of Pete. I know he is the comic relief to Mika's seriousness. But the character is supposed to be an ex marine and a secret service agent. And I don't think he is going to get killed by a guy in a robe. I like his wackiness, but come on.

But as Murderboy says, this show is utter nonsense, it isn't going to win any awards. It is just Fun Tv and sometimes that is all you need for a good show.
Finally! Sometimes, all I am looking for is for some Fun TV - a place where my mind can escape for an hour or two from the reality show that is my life. Isn't that why there are so many genres of novels? Something for everyone. I, for one, like goofy Pete.
Claudia is the cheesiest character on a show that has a few. They try so hard to make her quirky it distracts me from the rest of the show. Somehow, though, Pete is becoming a one-liner machine and I still find it funny.
Claudia, cheesy, you must be crazy.
Sorry, I agree.

She is a caricature, not a character. I can live without her, too.
This show is based on utter nonsense and most of you take it way too seriously - enough with trying to eradicate HG. She's a wonderful character and her only problem is due to her wonderfulness - everyone else out there wants her on their show. This is the role she does best and was meant to be - sorry Jaime, you're stuck in wonderland for the duration we all hope.

As for Claudia, she's also here for the duration and being typecast as Claudia, well life could be worse is all I'm saying. Not a great episode of a great, great show - the Seinfeld of Sci-Fi, if you will as it is total - and extremely fun - nonsense,,,
As for the "Pooh Bear" comment, that was a fun-loving Claudia comment and not angry-comment. Like how she went in afterwards and continued with the gag "grumbly in my tummy" That's so the kind of thing she would have always said, in which case I was hoping she was coming back around.

Though I did like her little duel with Artie: football vs Internet. Her face when Artie put-down the Internet, and her response later of "The Internet knows EVERYTHING"
Loved that football from the very beginning. So glad they found a good reason for its existense
This was an ok episode, but none of it felt like it mattered at all because the moment we started with the watch, we knew it was all going to be reversed. The cost of said reversal wasn't well-spelled out either, and Brent Spiner's character only was interesting at the very end. This felt like half of a 2-parter that just decided to toss aside the 2nd half stuff.
Well, from the previews it looks like (A) Brent Spiner is coming back next week (or soon afterwards) and (B) next week will pick up from where this left off.

In which case... yeh a 2-parter might be an apt description. Since their adventures are usually very self-contained episodes
I agree that it was less than expected.
Staff
I agree. The episode itself was pretty underwhelming. I think they set themselves up for some pretty intense season-long stories though. I'm crossing my fingers!
You do get it though, I'm sure.
Great ep. I was a little disappointed that they bothered bringing in Brent Spiner only to give him a couple of lines... but it looks like he'll be back soon filling Artie in on the "big bad" this season.

If Claudia really has become corrupted, I will be quite sad. She's one of my favorite characters, and while I have no doubt the actress can deliver on a villain's role... I'll miss fun and quirky Claudia. Though professionally speaking, it would be good to branch out a bit... her spot on Smallville was the same personality as her role in past seasons of W13 and Eureka. So in that case, power to her.
Ironically, that she has played the same character over and over is why I find her a bore. And she has done dark side already, when she was first introduced. I did like her for awhile, her levity, but Pete rules on her when it comes to zinging a one-liner. Or he did. He lost something last season.
Awesome episode, i love it's timing since i don't watch anything at 9pm, so yay. Poor Claudia, she might go on an adventure to save Steve, she's going to face some serious issues this season
There's nothing serious about this show except that it's seriously fun...
Terrific episode. The fast pace of it didn't confuse me one bit. I loved it! My allegiances always lie with Artie. He makes good, and sometimes rash decisions, but the ends justify the means to me. Every time! Speaking of that, I'm also glad HG Wells lived. Another one of Artie's decisions where I truly believe he did the right thing in saying that she's a valuable asset, given her tendency to create chaos. I trust her.

Right now, its Cllaudia that I'm worried about. I love her bromance with Artie, but watching her leave that house, and the look on her face after she realized Jenks would stay dead, is something that will definitely factor greatly into the rest of this season. I'm greatly anticipating, but also fearing a little, what that will lead to.

I actually hope for more HG the rest of the season, maybe even as a regular character, not just recurring.
This episode makes me worry for the future; Claudia has been a major part of the cast since episode five, and I don't think the producers are going to have her killed off or permanently betray the Warehouse. But I don't know what turn the future will take; for example, in one preview, I saw Helena holding a blanket in her arms in a very motherly way, and I know I don't have to say more than that for those of us familiar with her past. In any case, due to the fact that the artifact's downside was said to "follow [Artie] for the rest of [his] days," I know one thing for sure: if this isn't the last season, then its finale is going to have the biggest cliffhanger yet. And, as a footnote, is anyone else ticked off about the overly cut theme song?
Never mind; upon watching the episode again, I now know how they're going to fix it. The bishop did not say that the evil would follow Artie for the rest of his days; he said it would stay with him for the rest of his days. So, what that means is that if Claudia is what he alluded to, once she's been persuaded to calm down, she'll return to the Warehouse as though nothing happened. If not, however, I'm betting it either means someone will be coming (possibly coming back) to the Warehouse...or the incredibly unlikely possibility that Artie is going to die. And they wouldn't do that...right?
Staff
I totally missed the cut credits! I'm hoping it was just a one-episode thing, sort of to maybe avoid spoiling the plot? It could have been a bit of a spoil to see CCH Pounder's name in the credits if we knew that she was supposed to be dead going into the episode. I hope they bring it back though. Love the opening credits.

• 8:00 pm