Watch the New Torchwood Teaser, Ponder What Would Happen If No One Died... Ever (VIDEO)

One of the more interesting business partnerships to come about in the last year is the one between the BBC and American premium-cable outlet Starz. The two networks have put their heads (and wallets) together for the fourth season of Torchwood, the popular Doctor Who spin-off/anagram. Torchwood: Miracle Day premieres July 8 on Starz (the BBC airing schedule is yet to be announced), and the network has released a new teaser for it.

Though I've never seen Torchwood (feel free to tell me how stupid I am), the premise of Miracle Day makes me want to jump on-board, pronto. The concept of the planet seeing its population only tick up is two-fold: For one, hooray! Grandma Jones is going to live to see her 100th birthday! But, her primo apartment is never going to be available for rent. Add that to the chain reaction of depleted natural resources, overall congestion, and an increase in gross elbow-touching on public transportation, and you see how this "Miracle Day" is actually one of the worst things that can happen to our rock.

We've yet to see any real footage from the series, but we do know this: Torchwood players John Barrowman, Eve Myles, and Kai Owen are reprising their roles, and Lauren Ambrose, Mekhi Phifer, and Bill Pullman are all joining the cast. Pullman's character is especially intriguing; he's a high-profile convicted murderer who survives his death sentence because of Earth's unusual new no-death policy. Set for guest appearances are Dichen Lachman, Ernie Hudson, C. Thomas Howell (he's still alive?), and Wayne Knight.

Though Miracle Day is technically the series' fourth season, its being primed as a reboot of the series to introduce American audiences to Torchwood while simultaneously moving things forward for longtime fans. Which brings me to my next question: Are those of you who are longtime fans worried about the quality of Miracle Day? Or do you think it will help the series overall?

Follow TV.com writer Tim Surette on Twitter: @TimAtTVDotCom

It's funny that people say all the American actors will change the show. Um, John Barrowman? He has dual nationality, yes, but he's American. I do think that having Gwen and Rhys will help the show keep its Britishness (and Welshness), which is great. I was not a big fan of the grim and uncomfortable Children of Earth, and I hope this season will bring back some of the fun and the sense of discovery I liked about the earlier seasons of Torchwood.
Been looking forward to this for quite a long time. Even though based on a lot of the comments below it would appear as though the sky is falling due to the shows "Americanization" I have high hopes.
Couldn't agree with you more, emma5000. What nobody who's considering "Americanizing" the series realizes is that we as a country generally like to feel connected to characters, to have our favorites and watch them grow or regress as the case may be. With Torchwood it's so hard to muster the energy to care about it because while the stories themselves are intriguing I can't develop an emotional connection to any of the characters through whom those stories are being told because they're probably a scene away from dying so what's the point?
WOOOHOOO Captain Jack Harkness!!!!
very excited. i don't see how it's a reboot to introduce Americans to the series if it's on Starz, and BBC America aired the British series...seems like more people would see it on BBC American rather than a pay cable network
I really don't know if I still care about "Torchwood". They killed off too many characters I liked and the ones left never were my favourites.
I don't know. I'm pretty excited for it. While I don't agree with @dimarcaTD in saying that US makes UK shows better (at all) I do think that with a partnership like this, they just might be able to pull it off.
Bunch of haters out there. I for one love when the US takes shows from the UK and makes them better.

e.g. The BBC version of The Office - boring, is it a comedy or a boring documentary

The NBC US version of The Office - funniest show in the world.

These are real facts.

Adam
For what it's worth, thank god Torchwood wasn't hijacked by Fox; I can't imagine how castrated and butchered the series would have been. While I am distressed about the series' impending Americanization, we should also recognize the economic necessity of the decision. The BBC would no longer finance Torchwood, so RTD was forced to look into outside sources for financing, hence the BBC-Starz partnership. And from what I've read Davies will still be actively involved with the show, so it's not like the franchise will be just handed over to Hollywood bigwigs who have no connection or respect for the show. And it will be 10 episodes long, which is the average length of each individual series, so at the very least, it won't follow the US network TV model of dragging out a single series/season so long that people lose patience, and character/plot development is miniscule and painstakingly slow. However there are areas of concern: --although I do like Lauren Ambrose and Bill Pullman, the vast majority of the actors will be American, save for Jack (John Barrowman), Gwen (Eve Myles), and Reese (Kai Owen); because it's "introducing" an American audience to the series--although it's not like they haven't had access to it via BBC America for the last four or so years and a fairly extensive advertising campaign to go along with it--much of the content will likely be an introductory course to Torchwood, and chances are the fourth series will not be self-reflective (i.e. make commentary on past plots and characters; although it will in part take place in Wales, it seems series four will lose much of its Britishness--i.e. it is worrisome that the show will broadcast first in the US, while it hasn't been announced when the UK will receive the series; the US does not have a good track record with re-imagining British shows for those too ignorant to know of them in the first place; the extra US financing could possibly detract from the show's quality--with extra spending money, Starz may go overboard, adding too many special effects and an over-dependence on CGI, along with too many overwrought musical montages, all of which could detract from the story and detract from the show's usual charm and campiness; and finally, American shows lack the quirky, offbeat humour of British ones; and at the same time seldom delve into the dark depths of the human psyche, aspects that shows such as Torchwood and Being Human do so well.

All that said, I remain hopeful for the series and will reserve judgment until I see at least a few episodes of it. BTW if it's relevant, I'm from the US.
"Children of Earth" was at least twice as good as any episode during Torchwood's first seasons and was as good a climax to a series as I've seen. If Starz wanted an Americanized version, they should have started from scratch with an American version unrelated to the original in terms of the characters.
If Starz are producing it, then I expect it's going to even more adult orientated than before.
Torchwood will turn into a bloated pig with the Americanization of it.
The series will get more shows per season, half will be annoying filler episodes and the writing will get dumbed down so we can have more special effects.
They should have just made a US/Canadian :) version (like Being Human) and left the original alone.
yes! i love torchwood! i actually started watching TW before watching all of the 2005 doctor who.
I am already happy that the show is coming back. I want to be charmed by captian Jack Harness. I hope the americans don't change everything. The hollywood way to exploit everything isn't the way.
I'm not sure, a little apprehensive definitely. I hope it still has the same edge, that same "IT" factor that made me love it so much. I've been waiting for this for so long it seems. Can't wait, but I'm trying not to get my hopes too high in case of being let down. Thankfully it's Starz & not network TV, that'd be the death of it for sure.
being human is from canada and is really good
I can't wait for the new Torchwood! After that incredible ending to the last one I've been craving more. Captain Jack Harkness is one of my favorite characters on television other then Gil Grissom, Castiel and The Doctor =P
Unsure, I loved this show and I love a lot of American shows but when you combine great British Tv and America you get rubbish just look at Life On Mars US and Being Human US they're an insult to the British version plus completely unnecessary! I really wanted them to continue Torchwood but I wish they didn't have America controlling it, some of the things that made it great and unique will have left. I'll still watch though, got to give it a chance can't slate something without knowing it, the concept looks interesting so one plus, however not hoping for the best...
Expecting the worst (Americans ruining it) while hoping for the best (Brits prevail and continue bringing quality TV to our shores). But Starz? Really? Couldn't get HBO or Showtime, or even AMC, to get on board? This may not bode well. Think I'll wait for the DVD and relive former glories by watching the past Torchwood series at my leisure.
As long as they don't kill off all the actors again... grrr I'm still angry bout Ianto
@AngelaBeith re: American writing system - I much prefer the American (hire a big bunch of people, drain them of all possible ideas, sack them, and repeat) system over the British (single writer in damp flat only able to write 6eps a season before running out of ideas). But iiuc Dr Who and Torchwood all had multiple writers, and while not exactly like the American style (in that there was a main one) it still enabled many-many more eps than the woeful 6ep micro-series we usually get in the UK. So I have no concerns about Torchwood's Americanisation ruining the show. Infact with America being so crammed full of iconic monuments, landscapes and the like methinks the show's expandsion can only help to increase its awesomeness :)
To anyone that can't see the teaser, you're not missing anything. Its just talking and laying down the story. No characters. Still super excited to have Captain Jack back.
Why oh WHY does it have to be on a channel that I don't have??
Children of Earth (Series 3) was excellent so colour me excited.
as long as captain jack stays his lascivious, omnisexual self, things should be ok - but watch the american system of writing does't ruin it. writing by committee - worst move ever!
Torchwood was a good british show thats true but it wont survive a US audience as it was, and i would expect the network heads are also thinking the same. This would lead me to belive ill see some quite drastic changes to the cast & storylines. Not sure if that would be a good or bad thing, but given the British > US series transitions of the past, i give it 1 season, perhaps 2 at best unless they basically change the whole thing so it becomes a whole new series with the basic torchwood idea behind it.
"Nobody dies" - hmmm. Will bullets just bounce off, are peoples bodies now indestructable or can you still be decapitated but brain function will still remain, thus (technically) you ain't dead yet ? Will people still feel pain ? And what about abortion clinics. Questions, questions - I can't wait. British quirkiness and American money - rock on !!!
awesome, cant wait, been too long
I completely agree with tvgirl17. Tochwood is at its best when its compact. I shudder when I think about a possible FOX Version of Torchwood. It would've a more Sarah Jane Adventure feeling than anything else ;)
While it ticked me off that they kept killing off their main characters, Children of Earth was one of the best miniseries I've ever seen. It seems Torchwood is better in this format and can really make a great, compelling story that's more like a long movie than a TV show. I also think it's a great thing that it went to STARZ instead of FOX, so it doesn't have to be some censored, watered down version of the show. I'd hate to see a 'family-friendly' Captain Jack.
So looking forward to this STARZ won't allow the teaser be viewed outside the U.S. But thankfully that isn't hard to overcome, They started filming the last episode yesterday\today(Depending where you are in the world) so hopefully soon we'll get an actual trailer.
Yay Torchwood!!! Am glad its back, can't wait to see it.

@asmo64 Mekhi Phifer isn't a bad actor its just that he just gets crappy roles sometimes.
Thank God, it has Capt. Jack. And I mean the good Capt. Jack, not that silly pirate.
Jose Saramago wrote a book called "Death with Interruptions" that had almost the exact same premise.
I loved the BBC Torchwood and I am eagerly awaiting Miracle Day. I doubt it will suck - John Barrowman makes any show rock!
with Mekhi Phifer the show is surely doomed he is such a bad actor
I will watch it, I've been a fan of the series and the writers since the beginning. Any worries I have will be answered once I see the show. I think they've done a good enough job so far to earn at least that much respect on my part.
Formerly I did really enjoy the show - most of the time. I am no big fan of Eve Myles, her character was too 'good', too reproachful, I guess. I would rather see some of the old (dead) characters! So, in all I mostly look forward to a new start, I am only worried we'll loose all the (funny) innuendo and some of the kisses as that seems to be a no-go in the US.
No, I won't watch it and I refuse to support a show where the people involved, from the writers to the actors, insult their own fans.

And @thribs is right, the concept is stolen, again, as it seems to be RTD's habit to copy ideas from others and never give any credits!, from other shows including Family Guy and Supernatural. I'm not impressed that it took 5 writers to come up with a lame and recycled story line.
I'm not worried, because the writer who brought Doctor Who back to prominence is devoting all of his time to Torchwood now. So I know it will kick ass.
Thats not a new concept, I believe Family Guy did something similar.
I am a longtime fan but I will not watch. They killed my preferred character and destroyed all the things I loved about this show to clear the field for the US. Will not support this lack of respect for the longtime fans...

• 9:00 pm