Happy (almost, depending on when you're reading this) Martin Luther King Day! And also happy Inauguration Day! Those of you who paid close attention in high school history class will recall that the Constitution dictates that incoming presidents be sworn in at noon on January 20. But since the date fell on a Sunday this year, President Barack Obama is actually taking the oath of office twice—once in a private ceremony on Sunday (in order to comply with the Constitution) and a second time during the big public event on Monday, January 21. You can expect his second inauguration and all its related activities to be taking over your TV screen for much of the day, and because the internet is your friend, you can also watch it live right here. The official program is set to begin at 11:30am Eastern; you'll find the full schedule of events beneath the embedded live stream below.
11:30am Eastern: The official inauguration program begins.
– The order of events will be as follows:
– Musical Selections: The United States Marine Band
– Musical Selections: PS 22, Staten Island, New York and Lee University Festival Choir, Cleveland, Tennessee
– Call to Order and Welcoming Remarks: The Honorable Charles E. Schumer – Invocation: Myrlie Evers-Williams
– Musical Selection: Brooklyn Tabernacle Choir
– Oath of Office Administered to Vice President Joseph R. Biden, Jr.: By Associate Justice of the Supreme Court, The Honorable Sonia Sotomayor
– Musical Selection: James Taylor
– Oath of Office Administered to President Barack H. Obama: By the Chief Justice of the United States, The Honorable John G. Roberts, Jr.
– Inaugural Address: The President of the United States, The Honorable Barack H. Obama
– Musical Selection: Kelly Clarkson
– Poem: Richard Blanco
– Benediction: To Be Announced
– The National Anthem: Beyoncé
2:30pm Eastern: The Inauguration Parade will set off down Pennsylvania Avenue.
Other places to watch:
– ABC News
– NBC News
– Fox News