Watch the Trailer for the Transgender Assassin Drama Hit & Miss (VIDEO)

You all know I love weird things, so when word first got out about DirecTV's upcoming drama Hit & Miss, I peed a little. The drama stars Chloe Sevigny as a—get this—pre-operation man in the process of getting a sex change. In other words, he has the upstairs fun-bags, but there's still sausage downstairs. And just to make things even more interesting, Sevigny's character also happens to be a professional assassin. And just in case you need a family angle, the protagonist learns that he/she fathered children before he decided to be a she. I know, sooooo cliche.

I would like to see this.

Crotch adjust FTW!

This might be the greatest transgender television project since Ryan Murphy's failed drama Pretty/Handome, starring Joseph Fiennes as a man who would have become a woman over the course of the series. FX passed on the project, though a pilot is out there somewhere.

Hit & Miss debuts on DirecTV on July 11 at 10pm.

Follow TV.com writer Tim Surette on Twitter: @TimAtTVDotCom

Jun 14, 2012
This show is honestly fantastic! I watched the first two episodes and I am already hooked...its so nice to see a something so unique. I really hope everyone gives it a chance and it makes it past its first season.
Jun 09, 2012
the show is kinda really slow.
Jun 07, 2012
I couldn't care less about the eh...plumbings as long as the show is well written and acted.
I'll def be watching!
Jun 06, 2012
I guess I'll tune in. Maybe. I like assassins... not sure I like Chloe Sevigny with a penis.
LOL!
Jun 06, 2012
I have difficulty believing a trained assassin would a) want to play house even if it was her kid and b) make herself so easy to track by having to be on such specific medication and having lots of medical records. Not to mention having an ex who knew where to find you as both a man and a woman. Also, I wish she'd stop trying on her dead exes things. It's weird.

On the plus side, I definitely saw Jonas Armstrong!
Jun 06, 2012
Interesting, but too attractive to be realistic he to she. They should have got a real one to star, that would be unusual.
Jun 06, 2012
You clearly don't remember Isis (was that her name? can't remember) from Top Model. She was a model for crying out loud. Tyra's nuts, but she only picks photogenic people for that show.
Jun 06, 2012
Dude, you obviously haven't met many transgender people. Or you have, and didn't realize it because they passed without any problem.

Surgery and hormone treatment are getting more advanced and precise by the year, especially if the treatment starts during puberty.

Good for fighting for your 20th century world view though.
Jun 06, 2012
Too attractive to be realistic? I've met plenty of trans-women that would make you eat those words. I hear "I can spot a tranny a mile away" but nobody takes into account the ones that walk right by them unnoticed. Heck, you may even have checked one out before or maybe even flirted with one. Trust me, there's a lot more out us out there than you could ever imagine.

I do agree that they should have gotten a real trans-woman to play the lead. I know Paris Lees, a beautiful trans-woman from England auditioned for the part. If they were going to pick a genetically born woman to play the part, I'm glad Chloe got it. She has taken on many challenging roles before and I think she can pull it off.
Jun 06, 2012
I doubt that I couldn't spot one, good for fighting for your case though. This show would get ignored if it was a post op transexual, people will tune in to see the awkwardnes of her still having 'it' after that they will get bored.
Jun 06, 2012
You are 100% correct in that it can make or very awkward situations that are unique to trans-people. Being trans myself, I will admit that we have challenges in life that are alien to everyone else. Challenges that are often ignored by the media but would make interesting story lines. I was a paramedic for 12 years and transitioned while on the job. Not all of us are the stereotypical hairdressers or prostitutes. I think this is why I love the idea of seeing a pre-op trans-woman going through this process in such a "not so accepting" and rather gruesome line of work. We all have to sweep up our pasts and we are forced to deal with it no matter what our lives and occupations are like. Granted, I would still like see transgender characters that are done with all of that and are just simply living their lives but this definitely makes for an interesting character. A character that I can probably relate to.

FYI- Please don't thing that I'm attacking you or anything. I'm just joining in on a discussion. It's not everyday that I can talk about this subject in a media outlet like this. Just trust me, we are not so easy to spot. I rarely get clocked unless I tell somebody that I am trans and I'm not even that good looking. I can show you others that will amaze you. Heck, Google the trans-woman "Paris Lees" that I mentioned above. She's one of them. You may be able to spot some "give ways" because you already know she is trans but you'd never spot her if she walked by you and you didn't already know she was trans. See my point? Slainte my friend!!!!!
More +
Jun 06, 2012
I think the two main problems that cause reactions like the above "spot a tranny" is

a) people don't know the difference between transgender and transsexual, and

b) what movies and TV shows think trans-people look like is hopelessly outdated and based on standard medical practice of the '90s, at best.

That, and the usual gaypanic BS, but that's a given.
Jun 05, 2012
This show is definately worth checking out. Taccado is right about not much happening in the opening of the series but this will improve as the show evolves, at the moment it's supposed to be awkward and unsettling - which it is. He's also right about the uneven pace and the patchwork feel to the scenes, but I think that just helps with the unnerving, gritty feel of the show. The biggest problem the show has so far is it's failure to make Chole Sevigny a convincing assassin. When she's taking on a job - great, but when she's takling the local jackass she just doesn't carry enough menace to be convincing (she definately needs more training). It's very early on in the life of this show, which I believe could be a long and exciting life, and there are definately some kinks to be worked out but I think the good certainly outways the bad.
Jun 05, 2012
I've watched the two first episodes and I'm a little on the fence about this show. The premise is great, but the pacing is uneven. There are great scenes in the show, but it feels like they are loosely stitched together like patchwork. They don't flow together as well as they should. And honestly, so far not a lot has happened in the show. I'm usually OK with shows with a slower pace, but Hit & Miss is taking this a little too far.

I like Chloe Sevigny, though. I guess people either love or hate her, but I belong to the camp who likes her. But I hope the show picks up the pace soon. I would hate to see a great idea wasted on lazy writing. Oh, and I think the penis doesn't look as real as it could with modern day make-up and prosthetics. It looks a little cheap.
Jun 05, 2012
Yeah it's very UK-drama-gritty, and everyone seems miserable and one pint away from suicide/homicide/rape.

I like Sevigny too, but I dunno. When she tries to lower her voice, it just seems fake. They couldn't cast a real transgender actress, or at the very least someone british?

Having said that, thumbs up for not just awkwardly hinting on the penis presence and showing full frontal nudity! Haven't seen that on TV before.
I'll be tuning in.
Jun 05, 2012
Tim seriously sort out ya language dude, some of those "jokes" and your inability to use the correct pronouns are bordering on transphobic! Of course I expect more of this lazy rubbish from various tv reviewers over the course of this show coming on air. I just hope the show isn't riddled with the same cliches and its played for drama and pathos, and is a more accurate representation of a pre-op transexual. Of course im waiting for the day they just have a show with a person with a transexual history where they have had all the ops and are actually just a normal man or woman....and then you add a plot that doesn't revolve around them being transgendered....now wouldn't that be radical lol
Jun 05, 2012
Actually, the Martha Gay Harden character on the Richard Dreyfus university-set show of a few years ago was pretty much what Elliot wants. A very fair portrayal, where the operation was not central to the character.

Jun 05, 2012
Amen!!!! I've been saying that for years.
Jun 05, 2012
I've already seen the first episode and it's pretty good.
Where did you see it?
Oh I love the UK.
I watched it online.
Jun 05, 2012
First off, I'm going to say that I am a transgender woman. That being said, I'm super excited about this!!!! For so long, our community is souly depicted as prostitutes, serial killers, victims or simply a joke. I'm so happy to see a transgender character that can kick butt and is not a victim. I'd like to have seen a real transgender person as the protagonist but I love Chloe Sevigny. If a genetically born woman is going to be the lead, I'm glad it's her. Being pre-op trans would bring quite an interesting twist to the world of assassins. Finally, a character I can relate to. I hope they paint a good picture of trans-people but I am super excited for this. Now I just have to switch to DirecTV.

Note the the author- Use female pronouns and stay away from "sausage" and "fun-bag" comments. That type of talk is far more "cliche" than the shows plot line.
Jun 05, 2012
Don't make a Hit & Miss pun, don't make a Hit & Miss pun, don't make a Hit & Miss pun ...

• 9:00 pm