What Are You Hoping to See in Dr. Who Series 7?

After a long wait, we are finally coming down to the last few Doctor Who-less moments of our lives, and I simply cannot wait. Sereis 7 premieres on BBC America this weekend, and from what I understand, it's going to be less about an overarching storyline and more of a collection of many standalone Doctor Who "movies," similar to how Sherlock is filmed (as revealed by producer Caro Skinner).

This means there's plenty of opportunity to play with our expectations, have some fun, and give us some new and old friends along the way. I've been busy creating a wishlist of the moments, people, and monsters I'm hoping we see this season, and I thought I'd share a few of them with you.

Adipose!

I've been dying for the Adipose creatures to return since they first appeared in Series 4. They're adorable, they're bad guys without meaning to be, and they're a great example of the devilish wit of Steven Moffat. I'd love to see them come back, even if it's only to tiny-high-five the Doctor.

A fitting goodbye to the Ponds

It's not even slightly a spoiler that Amy and Rory will be leaving this series, to be replaced by a new companion during the Christmas episode. I've loved the combination of Rory's inner strength and outer cowardice with Amy's fiery impulsiveness and faith in her raggedy Doctor, and I'll be very sorry to see them go. But I'm still dying to know just how will they go. Death? A life of Earth-only pleasures, perhaps with a baby they get to raise this time? Will they be so angry with their Doctor that they decide to never see him again? Will the increasingly reckless and dark Doctor banish them for their own good (again)?

Bonus: Will Rory ever tell Amy, his wife, to stop flirting with the Doctor? I know they're all friends, but come on...

Daleks

We know that the premiere episode features a smorgasbord of the villain we all love and hate equally, the Daleks. A lot of Daleks. Like, all of the Daleks. My favorite Dalek episodes are the ones where you get to see inside their armor, to the weird, sad, runny-egg-like little guys that live inside them. I am hoping that this newest Dalek episode lets us get more inside their heads to figure them out, even as they are senselessly, eternally hellbent on extermination.

New York City

We know that Doctor Who has filmed some scenes in New York City, a continuation of the love affair that the Doctor has been having with America, but we have no idea why. In my heart of hearts, I'd love to see the Doctor team up with the 1980s Ghostbusters and try to convince them that Slimer is actually an alien, not a ghost. I think my heart would explode. But aside from that, I'd be happy for he Doctor to run across another NYC stalwart, like Woody Allen or Jerry Seinfeld. (I'm aware that the NYC episode is Amy and Rory's, so I'm probably very far off on this wish.)

Real historical figures

One of my favorite recent episodes was the Van Gogh episode, where Amy, Rory, and the Doctor tried (and failed) to save Vincent Van Gogh from his own demons. What other historical figures could show up in this season? I would adore it if the Doctor and the gang ran across Ed Wood in a situation where he isn't just a bad filmmaker, he's also plagued by actual vampires. Maybe they try to help him fight his monsters and make better movies, but they only succeed on one front, and his terrible movies remain.

The Gangers

I really loved these monsters. I loved how they looked, I loved the ethical implications, and I loved how the show used them to double- and triple-fool us throughout Series 6. I'm not a betting woman, but if I were, I'd put my money on these guys coming back to be creepy and cause us to question who's real and who's not.

River Song

Oh, River. How could I love you any more? (Spoilers ahead!) River was revealed to be the child of Amy and Rory in Series 6, but also a part-time lord, as being born in the TARDIS gave her all kinds of powers. She is also the Doctor's love and travels around in time, meeting him in various stages of understanding with regard to their relationship. So what can the writers possibly do with her now, to top all that? I'm hoping that for once, the Doctor will be forced to do something completely dangerous and sacrificial in order to save River (instead of the other way around), so we can finally see the extent of his devotion to her. Oh, and I want to see her in battle again. Definitely with the Judoon.

There are a million other things I'm looking forward to, like the return of the Weeping Angels, the Doctor's new companion, and dinosaurs, but I couldn't fit them all here. What are you hoping will happen in this newest season of Doctor Who?

Doctor Who Series 7 premieres this Saturday, September 1, at 9pm on BBC America.

I know I'm a bit late on this article, but I just caught up. :) I want to see CAPTAIN JACK! And also, I want a visit from Rose and the human Doctor, played by David Tennant. They got through the parallel universe once, they can do it again!

And I agree with a lot of the comments below. Seeing the doctor's together would make me squeal in delight like a little girl.
How about a male doctor for a change? Yes, your read it right.
A new story bringing the new Doctors together would indeed be pretty amazing.

Maybe Eccleston, Tennant and Smith, joined by whom ever they could get from the original Doctor's for a great 50th anniversary show.
I suppose there's no point in hoping for no River. So i'm hope there is less River, I dislike her Marysue-ness greatly!
I'd love for Captain Jack to meet Matt Smith's Doctor. Just once. I'd love to see what he makes of him.
The weeping angels are my favorite Dr Who baddies the daleks are close 2nd and the silence coming in 3rd, i hope to see them all this season. Personalty i want to see more river song, The back and forth with river and the doctor in the first 2 episodes of season 6 where she controls the TARDIS better than him and the all "i hate you" and "no you don't" back and forth i think is epic chemistry that would lead to more great episodes. And there is so much of River's story that's off screen, such a shame she is the doctors wife but they never really fully know each other.

Seeing David Tennant and matt Smith together would be funny, him seeing how the TARDIS has changed. Maybe the tesselector "robot with tiny people in it" I bet the Doctor kinda owes them at this point so maybe they will call that debt someday. Oh and of course more details about the time war and Gallifrey, maybe the doctor Timelocks some daleks and causes a feedback on the time war timelock and brings it back to the universe and the doctor has to stop it.
Rose Tyler and the "human" version of Doctor Who in David Tennant form from the alternate universe where they are trapped. Also, Captain Jack Harkness. And if possible a meeting of 2 Doctor Who. The current one and the first one from the 2005 reboot (Christopher Eccleston) who, to me, is the best incarnation of Doctor Who. The current one would be the second best, and Tennant would be 3rd. Not too say I didn't enjoy Tennant's version. Also, another episode having the face of Boe. It was aluded that it's actually Jack Harkness mutated over time. Maybe a story behind how this transformation happened.
The one character I would love to see again but probably will never is Idris/Tardis. That was a riot.

I am looking forward to NOT ever seeing River Song again, thank you very much.
I'd like to see the Ood and the Beast again perhaps or something similar.
I want to see the Master come back.
CAPTAIN JACK HARKNESS!!!! John Barrowman needs to come back for at least one more episode.
How about a doctor who doesn't suck and actually does something instead of stand around trying to look cool while everyone else does it?

I would love to see the new doctor team up with the old doctor ... I wish that David Tennant comes back :(
*MINOR SPOILERS*

Argus Filch and Arthur Weasley in the same episode? What is this, Harry Potter and the TARDIS?
Can't wait for Season 7! I really hope they don't kill of Amy and Rory, though, I'd hate that, they are my favorite companions.

I'd like to see more of River Song of course, and historical figures are great (the Van Gogh episode is one of my favorites).
Don't care to see any River Song, I don't mind her storyline at all, but I've grown tired of her. I am looking forward to lots of Jenna Louise Coleman who was great in the season 7 premiere.
Interesting. For once living in Europe had an advantage: I just saw the new episode while the US is still waiting a couple of hours.

The episode is interesting, a lot changed after last season's finale. I really missed the "I am the Doctor" theme here though, that only came up at the end and only part of it. While the main part of the episode was slightly sub par for this show (which still makes it better than most shows) the end was really interesting and yep, they caught me. I didn't really expect THAT. I knew something was going on but THAT I did not expect.

Think about the milk while watching.

A really cool detail was that the last words in the episode were actually the Doctor repeating Doriam's words that ended season 6 in "The Wedding of River Song": "Doctor Who? -- Doctor - Who? -- Doc - tor - Who?"

So maybe we really get an answer to that particular question this season!?

When watching the episode
I want more Torchwood.
I want the Doctor to go back in time and erase the entire US season of Torchwood so that Mekhi Phifer never happened.
I am completely with you on this. Lets take up a pool. I'd pay money to get the real Torchwood back.

Sigh. I guess they killed it but good with that rubbish season.
They killed it when they killed Ianto. He was the heart of that show.
A Dalek running on Windows.
made my day!
@ Emily: Rory wasn't there when the Doctor and Amy met Van Gogh.
I want to see more Ood while we're at it. ;-)
I'd LOVE to see more historical figures. The Shakespeare episode from season 3 and the Van Gogh episode from season 5 are definitely highlights in my mind. I like the idea of Ed Wood a lot, that could create an awesome episode.
No, not Adipose! Anything RTD created should be completely gone now. No former companions (other than Captain Jack), no Adipose, and no characters developing superpowers through nonsensical plotlines to wrap up a shoddy story.
To the author, Emily: River Song (Melody Pond) was not born on the TARDIS, she was conceived on the TARDIS when Amy and Rory were on board for their wedding night.
I'd like to see the Doctor have more adventures on other planets. As Amy Farrah Fowler said, "For someone who has a machine that can travel anywhere in time and space, Doctor Who sure has a thing for modern day London."
Since Moffat took over, I can't remember the last time they had an adventure in modern-day London? it's all been foreign planets and different time-zones. That was RTD's on-going nonsense.
I used the BBT quote for humor, not accuracy. Last season there was Closing Time and Night Terrors. Even The Rebel Flesh/The Almost People was in a fairly near future Earth. More in the 5th season. I'm just saying I'd like to see more planets and aliens.
While, I will agree that they have stayed away from modern day London since SM took over, I can only count 3 episodes from series 5 (2 of them were part of a 2 part episode) that were off Earth. In addition of the episodes on Earth 6 were close to present day (within 25 years I would consider "modern day"). Series 6 was better, with 7 out of 13 being off planet and only 2 being close to present day. I'm hoping they keep the trend going and do more off planet things, but it wasn't just RTD that kept the Doctor and companions Earth-bound.
The Doctor's daughter..
Right I totally forgot about her. Would be pretty cool to see her again. Dad!? You've changed ^^
yes especially since Georgia Moffett is married to David Tennant
.... So, yet another season without even trying to explain that 'riff in time' from your first season as showrunner, hey Moffat?
That's already been covered, Stonehenge, The Pandorica Opens, The Big Bang II, etc.

You aren't one of those RTD fans are you? Because Moffat is ten times the writer.
A riff in time would be explained only by Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure. I assume you meant rift, and by rift in time you mean the cracks in the universe? In which case, the cracks were caused by the exploding tardis, which was caused by the silence. Is your concern that you don't know the engineering details of how an alien race we know nothing about goes about sabotaging a time machine we know nothing about? Sounds like a topic for a reference book, not to waste an episode on.
I may have to watch series 6 again, but I thought the TARDIS exploding was caused by the silence that will fall when the first question is answered, not sabotaged by the Silence race. If it's the silence that will fall, then the mystery is on-going as to how that will happen.
I wish. It seems this storyline got lost somewhere. But since it it closely woven with River Song, I am okay with it because they dragged that bit out way, way too long.
I love the adipose! I would like to see him with Captain Jack again, an I know he can't see Donna again but she was my favourite so I would like to see her back too.
I would like to see some old companions come back, not Martha, anyone but Martha. I want to meet either Julius Ceaser or Brutus or both, I also want to see more outer space planets or future earth. It seems like most episodes are traveling to Earth's past or to the current time.
I would like to see more of Sally Sparrow.

(She was in the excellent episode Blink S03E10.)
SO STOKED FOR THE RETURN OF THE DOCTOR AND THE PONDS! But has anyone been watching "Pond Life" on the BBC's webpage? Looks like the honeymoon-phase is over for the Ponds :( Perhaps some time with the Doctor and his TARDIS in the midst of some life-or-death situations will bring them back together like when they went to Venice in Season 5! And I totally agree with you about the Doctor and River spending more time together - they always have great scenes!

However, Emily, just to clear a few things up about your post/blog:

1. "Partners in Crime" (where we met the Adipose) was written by Russell T. Davies. Steven Moffat was wrote/produced some AMAZING Doctor Who episodes here-and-there back then, but it wasn't really until 2010 when Davies stepped down that Steven Moffat got full rein.

2. Rory wasn't in the Van Gogh episode because the Silence had just consumed his existence

3. River Song (aka Child of the TARDIS) wasn't born in the TARDIS, she was conceived in it while the TARDIS was traveling through time, so "time" got mixed into her DNA thereby making her half Time Lord.
Aside from Rory and Amy's departure, there's a lot on this list is something I want not to see more of in series 7. Series 6 was hard to watch, very Hollywoodized, and the River Song storyline that played out was painful as it bumbled an interesting character into a cheap cliche with a dopey story-middle. Daleks got played out, Gangers was a storyline that went nowhere, and the Adipose really had nowhere to go with their story as they were exactly what they needed to be. I could also live without more Cybermen and Weeping Angels (every time those angels appear it diminishes their previous appearance, they are the zombies of DW).

Some payoff to recent seasons' dangling storylines would be nice, like why the TARDIS exploded and more details on what went down with The Doctor and the end of the Time Lords (in fact, more Time Lords would be good), what the dealio was with the Atraxi and Prisoner Zero. But at the same time, I would like to see them come up with some new ideas again, new planets, new timeframes, less Earth.
Seriously?? You do know this shows being going for 49 years and the best you can come up with is River Song and the Adipose. What about Ice warriors, Yeti, Zygons, sea devils or the black guardian.
ahhh...you know that Adipose was a RTD creation right? It says so on your own website. Also it still wasn't reveled why the TARDIS exploded in season 5. Also I'm sorry but I find your ideas of who the doctor can meet terrible.

However in the end, I'm not expecting anything specific. I'm expecting SM to make me cry, to make me laugh to make me angry, ashamed,suprised, amazed and terrified. Also when all is done I expect him to inspire some serious happy crying.

It's SM and it's Doctor Who. I don't know what will happen, but it will be the best thing on my screen this year.
I'm a big fan of that long story arc stuff they have been doing in the previous seasons. A new one each show keeps the show fresh each year but the arcs themselves keeps the viewers glued to the seats. I always want to know how it goes on so I hope the episodes are not too stand-alone.

Other than that I hope to see some sort of answer to the first question (Doctor who?), although I am pretty sure that the answer will be dissappointing. I am also interested to see if they follow up on "stepping back into the shadows". I guess this means no more situations resolved by pointing out that he is the doctor and having the bad guys run because of that statement. A cheap trick, but it was fun.
As always, one of my favourite things is spotting scenes filmed in my city (Cardiff) that are supposed to be London. One episode a few seasons ago was shot down the road from my house. I nearly died!

Have to say, I was actually a fan of the long story arc approach, they just needed to do it better.
I cant wait for angels in manhattan. And i really hope due to the slow americanisation of this show it doesnt end up like torchwood. Been a Doctor who fan for 10 years now. That would really be a shame if it went out like that.
what am I hoping for? I don't care, just get here sooner!

honestly though, I'm tired of Daleks. I know it's a huge part of the history of Doctor Who and everything but I don't find them at all scary... maybe they used to be when it first started in the 60s.. but come on, all you have to do is run around in a circle. The weeping angels are my favorite baddies. and I hope neither Amy or Rory die, I always find killing people off as a cop out.
David Tenant.
Two things I am hoping for. First, a realy good farewell to Amy and Rory in the New York Angels episode... There has been some good stories involving the Angels, and we all know Amy has cried sand, so they could turn into Angels and change Angel society or something. Second, I hope the Doctor has spent his time to find a way to rescue River from the libruary. That way they could have some more time with eachother.
I'd love to see David Tennant come back as the Doctor, but since that's unlikely I think I'll just very much look forward to whatever's coming. I know it will be great, as the Doctor is great.
I loved Jenny, the clone/daughter of the Dr from when David Tennant was Dr. I always thought she'd come back because the way they left that episode, but she never did. River Song actually kinds bugs me for some reason, I liked her original character, just not her in the more recent seasons. Id also like to see some more insite on the Dr before and during the time war and about Gailfrey since i only started watching the show in 2005 and cant even try to watch all the old episodes, (let alone where tk start) I really just want to know more about it.

Cant wait!!
THe Master Bring him back , mouhahahahahahaha :D
The one thing I want to see is probably the 1 thing that won't HAPPEN - tHE RETURN OF Captain Jack Harkness!
rory wasn't in the van gogh episode, he had just been erased from existence, that's why the doctor was taking amy to the van gogh exhibit. as for expectations/hopes...

captain jack

the ponds farewell

im exited about the dinosaurs... on a spaceship!!!

and of course i love me some river song

As it is the 50th anniversary coming up, i would love to see the return of the following characters in some form. Captain Jack Harkness, Jenny the Doctor's Daughter, and of course The Master
i would love to see a return of one or two characters of the Russell T. Davies era episodes...if only to see what is going on with them. Steven Moffat decided to completely change the series when he stepped in but i'd love to see at least one familiar face from the earlier seasons...I would also like to see something involving the loss of Sarah Jane Smith, she was such important part of the doctor's life that it would seem fitting see The Doctor coping with losing her forever.
Sarah Jane's not lost forever... She had a spin off and despite of that she could reappear. Also Davros popped up in the new series, as well as a new incarnation of the Master.
Elisabeth Sladen died last year.
I want to see blogons vs daleks.

"Eradicate! Eradicate!"
It seems there's a requirement that Daleks and Cybermen have to appear in every season of Doctor Who. It's certain that they'll be back.

I'm getting tired of Amy and Rory. And Pond is Amy's maiden name. Their married name is Williams.

It was an ongoing joke in the show that Amy won't take Rory's surname, so they're "the Ponds".
You don't know that because the year is not 1950. The Doctor called her Amy Williams once, but that means nothing. The name in the credits is still Amy Pond. The minisodes about their life together are called "Pond Life". I think it's actually far more likely that Rory took her last name than that she took his, though more than likely, they both kept their own.
You're right, saf. In one of the "Pond Life" minisodes that are now on YouTube, Amy calls Rory "Mr. Pond."
They are commonly referred to as "The Ponds" because of Amy being the dominant one in the relationship.
I know it's not gonna happen ever but I WANT DONNA!!!!!!!!!! :(
Ugh, Donna's the worst.
BLASPHEMY!!! Her and Tennant's quick-fire back and forths were hilarious. Plus it explored this whole other side of the Doctor. Rose was his love, Martha was the one he didn't love enough but Donna was like a sister to him. Their bond was just amazing. Plus the way her her story ended was one of the most tragic DW endings ever.

Not to mention the fact that Tate was a great actress. She was brilliant in the 2nd half of the Library eps. She kicked Billie Piper's ass in Turn Left.

DONNA FTMFW!!!!
Donna was one of the best! Her and Tennant were hilarious together. Only Martha sucked.
Her style of comedy is out of place in the series. She ruined nearly ever scene she was in. That's the problem with casting well known people for Doctor Who. It should never be done. Doctor Who has its own tone that shouldn't be messed with.
Load More Comments