What Do You Think of Our New Look?

With the internet an amorphous beast of tubes and hamster wheels that's growing faster than the gravitational field around Glee creator Ryan Murphy's head, change is inevitable. Simply put, it's necessary in order to avoid becoming Geocities 2.0. If you take a look at this story page and the TV.com homepage and show pages, you'll notice TV.com has undergone a facelift.

New looks can be exciting. New looks can be scary. We understand.

The homepage has been updated to accentuate our editorial coverage, the most popular shows and episodes on the site at any given moment, and our expansive library of TV-related information. We realize we rearranged the furniture a bit while you were away, but we think that once you get used to the new surroundings, you'll find that you can get to want you want faster and easier. (For a more detailed rundown of the changes, check out this blog post.)

But we're looking at TV.com from the inside-out, while you're looking at it from the outside-in. And so we want to know what you think: Consider this post HQ to offer your feedback. Let us know what you like and don't like, as well as what you'd like to see in the future.

In the meantime, keep watching TV and we'll keep giving you a place to discuss it, research it, and love it.

xoxo,
Tim and the rest of the TV.com staff

Follow TV.com writer Tim Surette on Twitter: @TimAtTVDotCom

the old look was so much better
Any news on the reintroduction of the light switch? Or shall I just continue to wear my sunglasses while reading your site?

Also on a more relevant note I keep getting an error message when I sign in. I sign in fine but instead of getting some kind of acknowledgement I get directed to a white page with a single line of code.

I figured it out whet was going on eventually, but I'm sure some people will be put off by it and not bother trying again.
Guys I have nothing against change but........... the show pages are a massive disappointment. No production number on episodes, flat count has disappeared - only season ep number now, entire cast should ALWAYS be on the main page and guest cast needs to be separated from main cast, trivia quotes and allusions need to be ABOVE reviews. Love the option to have newest/oldest and also the season listings on the left so we can choose any season from a long running show without having to click several times. The option to shrink episode info doesnt always stick when returning to the main show page.

Above all, I like the change but why do I have to lose so much everytime it happens? It really is annoying to have information you are used to seeing suddenly hidden or vanished altogether!!
another and a very serious problem, is that the show pages' episode lists dont work at all.. the episode guide, previously, was able to give upcoming episode lists for 2-3 weeks ahead.. now only one "upcoming episode" of the next airing is available, on the main page, and when you click episode list, it became a list of already aired episodes.. with this, there is no single difference of this page from the tv networks' own show pages, and give one reason to stay here, while, in the channel pages I at least get "accurate" information in terms of dates, episode names, etc.. just to mention two: up all night's last aired episode is not even on the page, and new girl's airing schedule still has huge mistakes.. and these are not old, not worn out shows but brand new shows with audience.. scheduling should be the very basic thing a tv web site be able to follow.. and that most popular news section on the front page.. I am sick and bored of seeing dexter and deb's kissing and still you keep it posted there.. it might have received 300+ comments, but apart from the last two (which wouldn't come if it was removed from the main page), the latest comment came like 12 days ago? so it's like, over, done, out.. take it off and add sth else.. however I feel like all of these we say are talking to the open space, as nothing has changed and probably will..
Also, it's hard to talk about a particular star with like-minded fans when there's no way to search for stars on TV.com. Apparently making sure that it was easier to read columns was more important than letting users find the stars they want to talk about.
Also, "Join active, fan-driven communities" is a bit misleading, isn't it? Volunteer fan editors can't contribute, fan visitors can barely get to the forums. New episodes can't be aded. It doesn't matter how pretty the car looks: fans can't drive it if the brakes and the steering wheel don't work.
After giving it some time and having spent a lot of time on here recently, I still don't like it and it's still uncomfortable to look at. Everything feels cluttered and the colors makes a mess out of my eyes. Do any of you care or are we just talking to empty cyberspace?
And in case you didn't understand how I feel about the New look TV.Com which still tries to force me to the UK version.... Meh and double Meh!!!
Meh....
Plus, no offense, Tim, but how would you know what the site looks like? The news/column stuff works fine, and clearly that's where the brunt of the developer's efforts went to you. But all the evidence suggests that staff rarely visits the episode pages. Some of them prefer IMDB for cast/crew info, and Tim, you almost never link to the specific episode pages of the episodes you review: see your recent Person of Interest column, for instance. (Although understandably, new episode pages are now almost impossible to find so it's be hard for you to post a link.) Staff rarely posts on the forums. Staff doesn't submit and when they do, they have the shortcuts that allow direct access into the system. If staff doesn't make a habit of posting on the forums, visiting the episode pages, or submitting like the common folk do, how would they know what anything beyond their column pages look like, or if the site is working the way it should?
Also, half the forum links generate 404 errors, a problem that has been ongoing since at least September. If we can't talk on the forums, and we can't find new episodes to talk about on the forums, it doesn't matter how pretty the site is if there's nothing to do after we get done looking at the colors.
Hard to tell what it's supposed to look like. The site is up and down, the search engine does/doesn't work, newer episodes don't show up, the older ones have 1-2-3 duplicates, and so on. And it's certainly not easier to find the cast and crew of episodes. If you want to find out who more than three people in the episode were, good luck with that. And if these are desired improvements, why will most of them inevitably be dumped in 6-12 months?
sorry, but i don't care for the new look. Not a bit. Give us the old look back. Why do you have to change things anyway? If it ain't broken, don't fix it...
when I click on my log-on name, I see the most updated profile pic I have in FB (as my membership is linked with my FB account).. yet here, in the comments section, I am stuck with a pic that was on when I first became a member, and I cannot find a way to change it..
change is good, but not like this...

tv.com is my homepage and my tv bible..

it looks allright and works just fine,

but i don't want to start reading the koran

if you know what i mean...still getting used

to it all, but don't think i ever will be as satisfied

as before...a big no no for me...
PLEASE READ: Oh I forgot to mention one other thing... the lights on/off gadget... is it gone forever... as in *forever*..?? :(
PLEASE READ: Could the "Top Episodes" thingy be back on the series' episode guide page??? Please, you guys, that was an interesting thing to have on here. =) =)
very true.. it is pretty useless on the main page..
After a few days, I can barely remember what the old site looked like. I hate the new colour, but in general it's a lot easier to access most of the content. Of course there are going to be some bugs initially while the changeover happens. It just takes some getting used to, people, so relax!
Is it just me or is there a lot of trivia missing on episodes of shows that was there on the old look? Also the recaps...I'm not sure, but I feel there was more information before it changed.
2 days later, hating it even more then before, please bring back the old tv.com (or at least an option to use it). Not sure i can stand this. Might have to get a new site for my TV needs

(Oh noes, he threatens to leave... i know, but still had to say it)
first time i saw it, thought it was a cheap imitation of 'tv.com', apparently i was right.
Getting used to it. The "news" part is better, but the show pages... not so much.
I don't like it. Some features still don't work in FF and I have to open the pages in Chrome. The worst part here: I can't see the news page in Firefox. It's empty. Maybe it's just my problem, but here it is.

And all the small details - like recurring roles and guest stars which are not on the main page of the episode. And the link to the show-forum is not everywhere now. And so on.
Oh, and with the old one I could rate an episode not only on the episode review page, but on the trivia or cast ones. And the recap was much more userfriendly.

Also I can add the show to the favourites only on the show summary page - inconvenient.
still not! used to the new look. I cannot do or find my usual thing!!!!!!

its.

why cant you people just leave it the way it was. and where can I find the tv listings, normaly left above, and now NO where.

I do not like it I hate it.
change it back!!
Really, really, really sucks!!!
I hate the new look much like everyone else. The only thing that I like about it is the pics of the writters so we know who is writting what. Other than that I find this new look harder to navigate and I was used to the old site.
It feels like when you go to the supermarket and the stuff you usually get is in a different place so it takes you twice as long to do your shop.

What gives. It wasn't broke so why mess with it.

There are too many things which draw your eye on the front page. Its like you all think we're three year olds who need pretty pictures to be happy.

Please bring back the dimmer feature. Or at least let people customise the home page so they can arrange it to be as they want.
This isn't a new problem, but its something I've disliked for ages.

Can you do something about the trolls who constantly seem to be giving as yet unaired episodes of shows they don't like really low marks. Unless TV.com has a large amount of psychic users I don't know how they could possibly know a show due to air in February is going to be bad! Can't you disable the button until after the air date? Or better yet, delete the accounts of anyone voting early. And yes that goes for those who give 10's pre-air as well, They are almost as annoying!

OK, rant over.
Or people who don't watch a show doing that because they are just, well, trolls was a good word.
Hideous, absolutely hideous!! I have been a fan of this site for well over 6 years and have loved the many incarnations of the site so i ain't against change. But this sucks!! Tons of wasted space, revolting colors, and a mess of organization. Please, at least let us be able to select a darker theme if nothing else!
Let me just say for starters, I don't like change. I was kind of shocked the first day. My biggest complaint is that I find the website's colors more suitable for something like TBS.com - where nothing is to be taken seriously. But I'm addicted to tv.com, therefore nothing could keep me away
Staff
Aw, shucks. Thanks for sticking with us. In the meantime, we're looking into bringing back a "dimming" option.
i'm sure i'd get used to it fine, if i could actually see it all. but whenever i try to go to the news page now it just comes up blank................?
very bad,terrible
Dont like it at all. Bring back the old one.
It is terrible! My biggest problem is that you can't see all the cast in an episode page anymore. You only see 3. And when you got the energy to click see all you can't know who is star, who is recurring and who is guest. You gotta have more clicks on the filters. This is extremely annoying!
Awful. I can't find anything. Is there a link to switch to "classic view" ?

If not, might I suggest there should be?
don't like it. it was simpler before and simple is what we like. too much stuff, no overseeing what's important and new - everything is just pilled up together - not very good to use for the "older" people like me. too much color, too much everything and no overlook of a particular day. don't like it. looks like i wont be coming here often as i used too.
Hate it! Bring back the old one asap!
I really don't like it. Too much blank space (and no, it's not a nice colour) and ever since I've hard a hard time using the site - I keep getting the 404 not found errors. Maybe it's me, but I've never had trouble before. It all just seems to be trying to hard to be pop-fun-zazzy for young people, dude - whereas it used to be full of interesting facts, reviews, write-ups and news, and it looked like it meant business along with being easy to read and welcoming. I don't like the thin column of writing and the clutter of other crap around the bit I'm trying to read. I don't like to swear, but it's S**T.
Staff
Hey @lala, was it gotten any better? If the issue persists and you are able to take a screen shot and send it to mailbag@tv.com, please do! That way I can show it to our engineers directly.
omg i hate it so much everything about it is just terrible and im not even kidding
I really tried to give the new look another chance, but it didn't works, it is too bright, with many head lines that made me dizzy. You may think I am an old timer or conservative, but the truth is simplicity has its own magical impression on all kind of people regardless of their race, gender or age. Take a sample (which I think you may find it a little weird). Mercedes Benz one of the most famous car in the world never changed its looks for more than a century and yet all the changes came in within. If you wanted to improve your page (which in my personal opinion was never need it), then you could have done that within your famous, intelligent and pretty old look.

You have wasted a lot of time, energy and resources in an unnecessary changes that will not gain you more new members, but instead, it may makes you loose some of your loyal fans.

You are not alone on the world and you have many competitive that will be very happy to gain some of your members.

definitely TV.com will no longer be my solo most important morning page to view, but I may comeback from time to time to check it out. I am not proud to say that, and actually I am so sad.
Staff
Thanks for your comments! We are looking into giving you way to turn down the brightness.

Just curious, did you have a favorite part of the old design?
jtrolio, I appreciate you ask this question to so many people, but you are asking it in a software engineer perspective, and expect people respond similarly, such as being more specific on what they liked better before.. yet average viewer's mind and memory does not work like that.. that is why many are just saying that "they liked the previous layout more", "they cannot find what they are looking for", "simplicity is much better and it was pretty simple before" and that should be enough for you.. you and your teammates are the experts to comprehend what that means and adjust accordingly.. and also I wonder how many comments on the hideousness of the coloring you need to hear, before doing some work on it, asap..
....Meh. Not crazy for the colors.
These colors are perfect on a bus, or in the subway or on a billboard.

I believe that a website like this should not be treated like a magazine but as a store where people are welcomed with warm colors and a cordial and comforting ambiance.Well, unless one wants to go the fast-food way where colors are studied so people will not hang around too long.

I don't think that the actual users will leave because of that (while some might) but, if the site would have looked like this the first time I found it I would not have stopped. Anyway, I don't think that the reason why you've made the change was necessarily to attract new users, so... if it suits your purpose.

I would have gone with some nice shades of teal, tan (beige) and dark red (maybe for the lines). The lines between the sections on the front page are too light that is why the site looks cluttered. Also, Tahoma is a much better looking font and an easier to read sans-serif for the body text. Arial is good for titles.

Well, you asked. That's my honest opinion. As others said: we may get used to it eventually, but it is not very welcoming.
I totally agree with all he said! This blue is really hard on the eye. Thank God for Safari Reader (http://www.webmonkey.com/2010/06/safari-5s-reader-simplifies-the-web/).

I'd go for Frutiger over Tahoma, though.
"I'd go for Frutiger over Tahoma, though."

Not many people have that font on their computer. I chose between the Windows' sets only.
You're right, I forgot this is a website.
Staff
Font nerd alert! Haha, just kidding. Thank you both for your comments. We are looking into bringing back a "dimming" option so you can turn down the blue if you so choose.
I've created a monster.
Staff
haha, no kidding. Seriously, though, this is great and really helpful to hear everyone's feedback.
Oh. Another idea I believe would be helpful and well recieved? See if there is a way to put an edit comment button in for the members. Sometimes the typo-demon bites and you don't know that until you've submitted the comment. Or, you remember you'd like to add one more thing and feel like it's "hogging" the section to put in more than one comment. (Like this one!)
Staff
Great suggestion, and one I totally understand. I've been known to delete my own comments and repost them just to correct an errant comma or something.
Many times "same here"... But once someone has written a reply, we're F'ed.
Staff
Haha yeah, if someone as already replied, "this comment has been removed" is worse.
I just proved your point there...
I'm sorry, BRAVA!
Braba!
This is a brilliant idea.
Well.

First. There needs to be a way to tone "down" the brightness for some readers. At least you didn't pull an idiot move like a dark background with light font. That said, perhaps putting different color sections up, might help in the navigation department. Like you do with your most commented posts section that is off to the right here. A section like that, only with all the new stories up on it would be most helpful.

Another thing. While I applaud the efforts to make sharing on FB easier, there should be a way for those of us who do not want to do that to opt out of seeing the button. I am not a teenager who must have every little thing I read and check out seen on FB. I will give you credit for not putting that (set up for sharing) button anywhere near the submit button. That was smart.

Hope that was constructive enough feedback. I don't mind the new look. It's just a change, and everyone has their own way of dealing with that. I will adjust to it over time. As will, I suspect, everyone else. As long as some of their ideas are heard, perhaps even incorporated. It will make them believe someone is listening.
Staff
I promise you we are listening, and we appreciate that you've taken the time to share your opinions. We're looking at giving you guys an option to tone down the brightness, and will do our best to not "fool" you into sharing on FB. Though, you know, if you want to...
I generally use TV.com for checking on shows, and for reading your articles. And now I find the recent articles/news buried in a lot of other "stuff" that I still don't know what is(!) - because I can't seem to focus on any of it because it is just.so.MUCH - - Stuff!! Give the articles more space and attention you guys, on the homepage something's gotta go.. :/
I recoiled at first, I thought I was on the wrong site. It's not bad.
I think it looks good, it's just a matter of getting used to where everything has been placed. I have one problem with it though. The font seems really wierd in the articles and comments, at least in google Chrome. The font is different in Firefox and IE, but there it still looks wrong. Anyone else have this?

Yeah. The anti aliasing isn't working which results in blocky letters. Haven't had the problem before.
Load More Comments