What to watch on Monday, December 17...
How I Met Your Mother
Barney considers proposing to Patrice in the two-part “The Final Page,” because I guess every year now Barney will get engaged to someone other than Robin to manufacture some emotional stakes. Meanwhile, Robin plots revenge against her romantic rival, and Ted celebrates the dedication of the GNB building.
DreamWorks Dragons: Gift of the Night Fury
An evening of vaguely Christmas-themed cartoon franchise extensions on Fox kicks off with the network TV debut of this short sequel to the 2010 film How to Train Your Dragon. When the Vikings' dragon allies suddenly depart en masse as the “winter holidays” approach, it’s up to Hiccup (Jay Baruchel) and Astrid (America Ferrara) to figure out why, while almost certainly learning a valuable lesson about family or giving or something.
SERIES PREMIERE 9:30pm, NBC
Bill Pullman is the President of the United States, and his first executive order is a ban on people making jokes about him fighting aliens in this new sitcom. (At press time, the Justice Department had not issued a verdict on whether that joke counts.) Jenna Elfman, Josh Gad (The Book of Mormon), and Martha MacIsaac (Superbad) also star as members of the First Family.
SERIES FINALE, 9pm, The CW
Every long-running show grapples with the challenge of how to stick the landing. Gossip Girl has decided to avoid that problem altogether by spending its final season in a full-throttle nosedive, with the apparent intention of jettisoning the landing gear, chucking the parachutes, and crashing into a cornfield in a fuselage-rending explosion that spews wreckage in all directions while skidding forward violently until it slams into a barn, finally, mercifully, ceasing its cataclysm of devastation and bad hair. Tonight, it hits that barn in the two-hour series finale.
Chumlee organizes a Christmas party, but not everyone at the shop is replete with good tidings of comfort and joy. Can the crew band together in time to learn the true meaning of Christmas, and/or the true value of a dinner menu from Alcatraz circa 1912?
– Amanda Seyfried, Adam Pally, and Jon Dore on Conan on Conan, 11pm, TBS
– Anne Hathaway on Chelsea Lately, 11pm, E!
– Megan Fox, Johnny Manziel, and Colbie Caillat on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno, 11:35pm, NBC
– Tom Cruise and MNDR on Late Show with David Letterman, 11:35 am, CBS
– Hugh Jackman, Jenna Fischer, and 2 Chainz on Jimmy Kimmel Live, 12am, ABC
– Ewan McGregor, Charles Grodin, and Dave Matthews Band on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon, 12:37am, NBC
– Sarah Chalke and Anne Rice on The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson, 12:37am, CBS
WHAT ARE YOU WATCHING TONIGHT?