What to watch on Wednesday, January 30...
8pm, The CW
Oliver’s on the hunt for a drug dealer after Thea is arrested for possessing some of his merchandise, a substance which just so happens to share the name of this episode: “Vertigo.” Elsewhere, Felicity is the bearer of unsettling news about Moira.
In “The Back Nine,” the Weavers and the Bird-Kersees butt heads when only one family can land a coveted country club membership—and the rivalry brings deeper tensions to the surface.
9pm, The CW
A man claiming to be Sam and Dean’s grandfather appears suddenly, claiming he’s traveled through time to battle a demon. The CW’s website characterizes the brothers’ reaction as “stunned,” but c’mon. After seven and a half seasons, it ought to take more than one time-traveling, demon-fighting relative to phase these guys. Now, if Grandpappy Winchester were also, say, a rhyme-talking capybara in a propeller beanie, that would warrant being “stunned.”
An arsonist’s blaze proves fatal, and Dawson and Shay encounter trouble on a call, in “Warm and Dead.” Elsewhere, Otis logs some time at one of Chicago’s slower firehouses; if I had to guess, I’d say they mean the one in the trendy yet ill-conceived Asbestos Park neighborhood.
SERIES PREMIERE, 10pm, FX
Deep-cover KGB spies (Keri Russell and Matthew Rhys) pose as an ordinary Yankee clan in this Cold War drama set in 1981 Washington, D.C.—a precarious time, before Soviet-U.S. relations had been rocked by such game-changers as perestroika and Rocky IV. In the pilot, their faux-idyllic existence may be disrupted when an FBI agent moves into the neighborhood.
10pm, Comedy Central
Alice quits in “Alice Quits,” and the guys don’t know what to expect from their new boss, since neither the episode’s title nor its summary go into any further detail. How are they supposed to cope with such a wearying and uncertain existence in a universe shrouded by laconic mystery?? How are any of us??
– Adam Scott, Sanjay Gupta, and Ben Folds Five on Conan, 11pm, TBS
– Piers Morgan on Chelsea Lately, 11pm, E!
– Al Gore on The Daily Show with Jon Stewart, 11pm, Comedy Central
– Bill Gates on The Colbert Report, 11:30pm, Comedy Central
– Charlie Sheen, David O. Russell, and Holly Williams on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno, 11:35pm, NBC
– Jason Bateman, Alison Brie, and Shovels and Rope on Late Show with David Letterman, 11:35pm, CBS
– Nicholas Hoult and Antibalas on Jimmy Kimmel Live, 11:35pm, ABC
– Jude Law, Mike Tyson, Joshua Toplosky, Bad Religion, and Michael Bolton on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon, 12:37am, NBC
– Dominic Monaghan and Ellie Kemper on The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson, 12:37am, CBS
WHAT ARE YOU WATCHING TONIGHT?