What to watch on Tuesday, December 11...
Santa Claus Is Comin’ to Town
Mickey Rooney is the jolly old soul himself, and Fred Astaire is the omniscient mailman-cum-narrator, in this classic Rankin/Bass stop-motion special unveiling the origin story of young Kris Kringle. With Joss Whedon developing S.H.I.EL.D. for ABC’s fall slate, pay attention to see if this year’s airing features Samuel L. Jackson recruiting Kringle in a new post-credits epilogue.
8pm, The CW
Hart of Dixie
Zoe’s mom is the one comin’ to town in “Blue Christmas,” though one imagines she will not be portrayed by Mickey Rooney. Zoe’s flummoxed response to this development threatens to ruin the holiday throughout BlueBell. Can Scott Porter and Wilson Bethel save Christmas through shirtlessness???
The semifinal results are announced tonight, sending two contestants home. Or perhaps, as a cost-saving measure by NBC, sending them into the next time slot as contestants on Take It All.
NCIS: Los Angeles
According to the summary for “The Gold Standard,” the team tracks a “heist executed by gunmen in costumes that could directly impact the U.S. economy.” Sure, they probably mean it’s the heist that could impact the U.S. economy and not the costumes... but what if they DO mean the costumes? Tune in to maybe see some bank robbers dressed like Ben Bernanke, Timothy Geithner, and Jamie Dimon.
The Mindy Project
Mindy and Josh host a Christmas party, but their Yuletide cheer is threatened when a secret about Josh comes out. Could that secret have something to do with guest-star Allison Williams of Girls? Hey, if it does, you didn’t hear it from me, capisce?
“The Corkscrew Job” takes the team to Oregon wine country to vex a villainous vintner. Did this episode make the "What to Watch Tonight" cut solely so I could use that phrase? We may never know for sure.
– Chris O’Dowd and Graham Parker and the Rumour on Conan, 11pm, TBS
– Jessica Chastain on Chelsea Lately, 11pm, E!
– Laura Linney on The Daily Show with Jon Stewart, 11pm, Comedy Central
– Malcom Gladwell and Audra McDonald on The Colbert Report, 11:30pm, Comedy Central
– Ewan McGregor and Bailee Madison on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno, 11:35pm, NBC
– Amanda Seyfried, Natalia Makarova, Awolnation, and Mick Jagger and Keith Richards on Late Show with David Letterman, 11:35 am, CBS
– Leslie Mann, “Ted” the teddy bear, and Sarah Jaffe on Jimmy Kimmel Live, 12am, ABC
– Anne Hathaway, Robert Smigel, Macklemore and Ryan Lewis, and Beres Hammond on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon, 12:37am, NBC
– Betty White, Morena Baccarin, and Dylan Moran on The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson, 12:37am, CBS
WHAT ARE YOU WATCHING TONIGHT?