What's the Best Children's Network: Nickelodeon or Disney Channel?

Well, they can't ALL be interesting battles. After a super low turnout in which most people wished for the defeat of BOTH networks, only one continues onward. Congratulations, I guess, goes to...

R.I.P. CMT. These comments just about sum things up:

citizens13: "VH1 only because Best Week Ever ROCKS and I love the I Love... series. Other than that I could never watch any of their reality shows. Even their music countdown kinda sucks."

withoutcanseco: "If we were voting for the old VH1, I'd say that, but I gotta go CMT."

sakuramankai: "VH1... I feel so dirty. I need to cry in the shower."

In this week's match-up, the two biggest children's networks will be shipped off to a remote Japanese island, outfitted with explosive collars, and forced to battle to the death!

Background: In 1979 a fringe cable channel called Pinwheel changed its name to Nickelodeon and proceeded to spend the next thirty years becoming the #1 cable channel in the universe. Ever since the beginning, one of Nickelodeon's most notable aspects has been its split programming schedule. At first evening programming was turned over to The Star Channel (a.k.a. The Movie Channel), but later it was ARTS, then A&E; (!), and finally Nick at Nite, Nickelodeon's in-house programming block of golden-era sitcoms. Over the years Nickelodeon has gone from an importer of dubbed, foreign cartoons to one of the top producers of zeitgeisty programming, eventually spinning off a half-dozen other networks just to contain its vast library of properties.

Original Programming: After years of importing things like You Can't Do That On Television and Duckula, Nickelodeon ventured into original programming first with shows that featured real kids (things like Mr. Wizard's World and Double Dare). But later the network began producing original cartoons such as Doug, The Ren & Stimpy Show, Rocko's Modern Life, and Rugrats. Beloved live-action favorites Hey Dude!, Salute Your Shorts, and The Adventures of Pete & Pete were soon joined by Saturday-night favorites Clarissa Explains it All, Roundhouse, and Are You Afraid of the Dark? Nickelodeon also turned ordinary children into known sketch comedy stars with All That, The Amanda Show and Kenan & Kel. These days most of the Nickelodeon schedule is devoted to SpongeBob SquarePants, iCarly, Avatar: The Last Airbender, Victorious, FRED: The Show, and Big Time Rush, all of which rake in huge licensing and merchandise profits.

Reruns: Most of Nickelodeon's daytime schedule consists of reruns, but they're mostly in-house. Its Nick at Nite programming block, on the other hand, is where the classic reruns live. Fun fact: Nielsen does not consider Nick at Nite to be the same channel as Nickelodeon! But for our purposes, let's just say that Nickelodeon/Nick at Nite currently airs the following outside-the-network reruns: That '70s Show, Married with Children, Family Matters, George Lopez, The Nanny, Home Improvement, and Everybody Hates Chris.

Why It's the Best: If you were a child at any point after 1980, you probably have overwhelming pangs of nostalgia for your particular era of Nickelodeon's programming. I'd drop anything to watch an episode of Finders Keepers or Out of Control (which aren't very good), but especially The Adventures of Pete & Pete (which is SO GOOD STILL).

Why It's the Worst: It's all just a bunch of screaming and noise now, I'm guessing. #generationgap

Background: In early 1983, Walt Disney Productions unveiled The Disney Channel, a premium cable channel which would serve as an outlet for its vast archive of family-friendly entertainment. For about 15 years it aired commercial-free episodes of original series and movies, while making superstars of just about anyone who graced its sound stages. Its gradual conversion to a basic cable channel happened throughout the late '90s and the early 2000s when its ratings exploded as it became one of the most-watched cable networks in the world on the strength of its laser-targeted pre-teen demographics. It's also super profitable for the corporation as it regularly mines Disney-owned record labels for talent, creating a sort of lucrative echo-chamber of its own child stars.

Original Programming: Some of Disney Channel's earliest productions include Welcome to Pooh Corner, Kids Incorporated, Good Morning Miss Bliss (an early version of Saved By the Bell), and The All-New Mickey Mouse Club. Later hits came to include Flash Forward, Lizzie McGuire, Even Stevens, Kim Possible, That's So Raven, Hannah Montana, and The Suite Life of Zack & Cody. More recent shows have included the High School Musical franchise of original movies, Wizards of Waverly Place, The Suite Life on Deck, Jonas L.A., Good Luck, Charlie, So Random! (formerly Sonny With a Chance), Phineas and Ferb, A.N.T. Farm, and Fish Hooks.

Reruns: Disney Channel has specialized in making its network as insular as possible, even refusing to air traditional commercials during its breaks. Fortunately it has plenty of its own material to rerun, from recent episodes of its hit sitcoms to more classic Disney animation vault selections.

Why It's the Best: Ryan Gosling, Keri Russell, Zac Efron, and (MAYBE) Selena Gomez.

Why It's the Worst: Fergie, Jennifer Love Hewitt, Britney Spears, the Jonas Brothers, Demi Lovato, Shia LaBoeuf.

Official TV.com Verdict
This one is genuinely tough! As valuable as both channels were to my childhood, I'm still gonna have to side with Nickelodeon here.

But now it's your turn! COMMENT BELOW and tell us your verdict: Nickelodeon or Disney Channel? And make your case! What do you love or hate about each channel?

Click below to see the full tournament bracket:

Note: Because we started with an odd number of channels, we gave some of the bigger channels a first-round bye.

Want to catch up on past battles? Head over to the America's Got Cable archives.

I'm sorry but did you just say Disney is the worst because of Demi Lovato and the Jonas brothers!? 😦

And Disney hands down. Nick sucks now and I hate CN with a burning passion.
I like GMW, Liv and Maddie, KC under cover, I didn't do it. And I don't mind Jessie and Austin and Ally either.
Also, GRAVITY FALLS!
Lol, you like Disney? Lol I respect your opinion, but Disney sucks now, their jokes are stupid, cheesy, and predictable, plus, they got rid of the only two good shows they had (Gravity Falls and Good Luck Charlie). Now Disney has no good cartoon on their channel and is only left with sissy $hit.
i choose disney because Girl Meets world on there and that show is the bomb and liv and maddie and all the great show
i was more of a nick person i watched rugrats,SBSP,FOP,amanda show plus nick had nick arcade,double dare,guts,figure it out,etc disney mainly consists of live-action sitcoms nick had & still has better variety & they still care about there classics unlike disney channel so i choose nick!
The new shows are not trash ppl!! Henry Danger is way 2 awesome!!
Nickelodeon is life!!
Cartoon Network (even though it's not part of it) and Disney Channel is a lot better because their long-running rival, Nickelodeon, turned into trash after 2009. And because of their horrible new sitcoms, it is becoming a negative influence to ALL aspiring television writers everywhere. Nickelodeon isn't being as good as it used to back in the day. They were all good, until 2009 ended. Whatever happened to the Nicktoons that I know and love? Right now they have new ones with lame toilet humor, like we even give a crap! So really, I give Cartoon Network a 10, Disney Channel a 7 and Nickelodeon a big fat GIANT 0. Nick is just not being the same anymore. That's all I can say about that.
You stupid jackass!!!!! nickelodeon was so much better than 2 of your favorite channel , they have spongebob what disney and carton network have jesssie or stupid income granpha morron
DeanDwipa, you are the dumba$$, you think Spongebob is better than the good shows on Disney and CN? Spongebob is good, but it's definitely not better than Gravity Falls, AT, or SU.
How about Nickelodeon gets a million, Disney Channel gets a 5 and CN gets A BIG FAT GIANT NEGATIVE A MILLION. U LEARNED UR LESSON.
I don't think that you learned your lesson KaelinDosch, CN gets a million, Disney Channel gets a 5 (the only two good Disney shows are Gravity Falls and Good Luck Charlie), and Nick gets a big fat hoof up the butt. :3
Wrong! I love Nickelodeon so much and u can't say that about it. Do u know how that makes Dan Schneider and all the others feel??? Give them a break!
*gets a sword and chops ur head off* ha ha ha ha ha LMAO
I love Disney & Cartoon Network(although not being a choice) mainly for Gravity falls, Steven universe and adventure time. I also enjoy Disney channel sitcoms more cause let's face it, nickelodeon's shows are getting crappier. I admit back then I LOVED nick shows, but now it's just cartoons with gross humor and most of their new shows like Bella and the Bulldogs? I'm pretty sure they'll try just about anything to increase their ratings.
Stupid! I love Bella & the Bulldogs!! IT'S NOT CRAPPY!!!! IF U HATE NICK, DON'T POST IT TO THE WHOLE WORLD!!!!!!! CAUSE I LOVE NICKELODEON SO MUCH!!!!!
NICK is the best, but I also like some of Disney channel's shows too, also from Cartoon Network, Adventure Time.
Nickelodeon is better than Disney channel because I cant stand these live action sitcoms. But Cartoon Network are better than them.
ZeeQ kids channel the best channel in India.
Disny, because they don't have crappy toilet jokes!
Nick by far, is the best
I would've said Disney Channel back in 2003.
i have to admit that disney channel used to be good when thats so raven, the proud family, lilo and stitch , the replacements, lizzie mcguire and hannah montanna came on. but now its full of crap shows and bad acting. on the other hand nick has always been good the shows have always been and always will be great. i know everyone has their own opinions and i have watched disney channel recently and it was really bad. for all the people who would rather disney channel they dont know quality acting and good shows. people who usually watch disney should watch nickelodeon and they would like it. please dont take this offensive but i have good reasons for hating disney channel.
vote: Nickelodeon, by FAAARR!! :)
Thank u!! Finally!!
For sure, Disney is WAYY Better ! Disney cares enough to try to make a proper ending for every show they do ! Disney also knows how to draw and not take idea's from shows ! Nick right now, they just do these lame shows that are based on movies like Kung Fu Panda the series, Monsters vs. Aliens the series, and lame shows like Planet sheen, Tuff Puppy. They don't even give most Nick shows a proper ending ! They only gave Big Time Rush and Icarly a proper ending. Victorious ended with a normal episode, Zoey101 ended with Chase and Zoey kissing and in North America with the questioning. They didn't even give some shows a chance like How to Rock or Wendall and Vinnie, I dislike Nick so much, Dan (The producer of most of the hit shows) Should go to Disney, at least they would have let him do a proper ending for Victorious and Zoey101. Therefore, Nick is the worst. Like I said, they copy, they tried to make music video's on there shows so they could be like Disney, this is why you see some Nickelodeon characters going on Disney.
NOPE. NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE!!!! NOPE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GEEZ!!!
Even thought one is not here

1.Cartoon network (Died then revived its self and learned from its mistakes and also remebring the new and old)

2.Nickelodeon (Great job the first kids network and most well known airs alot of variety and with teen nick i'm a fan)

3.Disney channel (This sucks i can't beleive it has the best ratings among these three seriously they where great till walt died then it killed itself and does not care about their old shows at all this is why this network sucks)
Nick wins they have more good shows than disney does. Nick has spongebob, fairly odd parents, penguins, kung fu panda, korra, robot and monster,tuff puppy, and planet sheen while Disney only has fish hooks, phineus and ferb, and gravity falls.
Robot and monsters, tuff puppy and planet sheen sucks. Disney have way better shows they have ant farm, wizards of waverly place, phineas as and ferb, LILO and stitch, Kim possible, Jessie, and American dragon, Dave the barbarian, Mickie mouse club house, proud family, brandy and mister whiskers, Hannah Montana, the replacements, and that so raven,
Bud, hate to rain on your parade, but 90% of the shows you mentioned aren't even on. Not even getting reruns. Only good disney show is gravity falls. And ever seen what happened to Jonas brothers? Neither have I. Nick all the way! Avatar FTW
Lol, ya those shows you listed were the BEST shows on Disney. Well, some of them. But they don't even show episodes anymore which sucks. Nick actually does. Jessie and ANT Farm suck cuz they have horrible jokes. If they actually showed reruns, maybe Disney would be worth watching.
Fred: the Show may suck, but nothing compared to the garbage and crap that Disney's been producing lately (I SO wish Gravity Falls was a Nick show......). I'm gonna have to go with Nick, 99.9% all the way, but I just can't throw away Gravity Falls, so I'll give Disney 0.1%.

Vote: Nickolodeon
nether are they both teach children horrible values my little sister is alwas glued to the screen watyching disney and always throws a taantrum and starts hitting people when you try to change the channel plus disney is teaching kids you have to look good to be liked because everyone nows you have to be pretty to be liked
On another note, Disney these days only care about the money and popularity. Big hit for disney! Big reason to vote for Nick.
Some people are disney fans, some are rather Nick fans. I'm going to have to go with Nick on this one. Sure, some people might watch disney more than Nick, but doesn't mean Nick is bad.If you remembered the Nick in the earlier years, Nick would be the channel where young kids could be entertained with classic cartoons and reality shows, Nick was the better part of my childhood and has brought many memorable great shows. The only things keeping Disney alive to me these days are Gravity Falls and possibly Phineas and Ferb. In the earlier years of Disney, it came along with the mostly known Mickey Mouse, and a few unique movies. But since then, Mickey Mouse is now a repetitive ruined character in Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, which makes me kind of feel sad for Mickey's long timeline of history. Yet, i'm going with Nick. I don't really like Disney's newest reality shows. They're just not funny.. But then again, some of Nick's reality shows are getting dumb too, So I guess I don't know. But because it's my part of childhood I grew up with, i'm voting for Nick.
nick!!!!!!!!!!!!! disney channel sucks
i am always a disney fan. starting with cinderella,snow white,sleeping beauty,peter pan, then later to beauty and the beast, ariel, pocahontas, aladdin,the lion king.pixar came in and there's toy story trilogy,monster inc.finding nemo,a bugs life.teen tv series join disney.there's lizzie magguire, evern steven,phil of the future,the suite life of zac and cody which became the suite life on deck,hannah montana,sonny with a chance,goodluck charlie, jessie,wizards of waverly place.in movies high school musica,camp rock pireates of the carribean.i can go on and on and it will not be finished.on the other hand in nickelodean i had watch unfabulous, zoey 101,life with derek,i carly and victorius.only those.
I watched Nick some as a kid, and they had some good shows, like Rocket Power. Now, it is just a bunch of garbage I wouldn't let my kids (if I had any) watch. Disney has slipped, too, in recent years, since shows like KP and movies like The Color of Friendship were replaced with such meaningless shows as Fish Hooks. Once upon a time, Disney meant far more than it does now. And when Blam segments replaced House of Mouse, I just knew Walt was rolling over in his grave. But...Disney is still a great, warm channel unlike any other and the best choice for kids.

I may still be mad that they changed their early-morning programming [I used to watch KP, Recess, etc. at 2 AM when I was working] but I still love and watch Disney. And such shows as Phineas and Ferb and Jessie give me hope for Disney's recovery from its stumble.

May they never forget the man and the mouse who started it all.
If this were still the 20th century, I couldn't choose, so I'd be partial to both. Except that I'd have to lean towards Nick more, if only for the fact that before Disney finally dropped that dumb-donkey pay-for-an-unscrambled-premium-cable-channel policy (which I believe shouldn't have even ever been applied in the first place), growing up in the '90s, I wasn't lucky enough to watch it scramble-free always and consistently, since neither of my parents paid for it. Therefore, in family's house, the channel would be unscrambled for one week a month prior to going back to messing up the picture and even though I couldn't constantly see what was playing clearly, I could still hear what was going on and stay on that channel anyway. Because that's akin to listening to the radio and the occasional times I got to watch it unscrambled was as close as I was going to get to any undistorted visual access. But by the time the messed-up picture of that channel was finally dropped at sometime in the early 2000s, the channel's glory years have passed and it would be the beginning of it's gradual decline. However, since both networks have falling off since the last decade and in this century, for the most part, I'd say neither of them are as great today. It depends on the time period for me, considering how things have changed so much, for what some of us may consider for the worst. I also wasn't lucky enough to see the Snick block of Nick or Nick at Nite at the time due to Nick being switched to A&E for some jacked reason as soon as 8:00 p.m. rolled around unfortunately.
I don't watch many shows on Nick apart from iCarly, Victorious and Spongebob. However, on Disney, I watch most of them. So it's DISNEY for me.
Oh goodness. I just have to say that your reference to Battle Royale was amazing.
nick
Nickelodeon
Disney ... they have many shows on my watch-list ... only show I watch on Nick .. is I-Carly.
"nickelodeon" sucks nowadays are because of crappy nonsense television programs such as: "SpongeBob SquarePants" "Gay Fu Panda: Legends of Boringness" "GayTORIous" "Big Time Bush" "How to Be Gay" "iFartly" "The Mannequins of Madagayscar" "Back at the Burpyard" & "FRED: The Queer." "nickelodeon" was 336,000% better until September 27, 2007 @ 8pm EDT when the last episode of "Drake & Josh" aired. The last episode of "Drake & Josh" was called, "Dance Contest."

"nickelodeon" went downhill on September 30, 2007 @ 8pm EDT when the first episode of "iFartly" aired. I am not the only person that lives in the Contiguous United States of America. If you don't believe me check out the comments section of vintage "nickelodeon" videos on YouTube.

it's really hard to choose because both of these have their strong points. disney is better at making shows with more developed characters, like in lizzie mcguire, even stevens, and today good luck charlie, the background characters have lives and clearly explained backstories whereas on nick they always leave big details out, for example on icarly we have no idea what happened to their mother, or drake;s dad and josh;s mom on another show, so nick isn;t very good at the details. BUT nick;s shows about being famous are generally better than disneys because they know what they;re doing. every kid on victorious besides victoria was on broadway or has been professionally trained, and big time rush ain;t half bad either. so i;d say disney is better at family shows, nick is better at being famous shows
Totally agree.
I would like to mention that in the 2000s Disney Channel reigned with "Lilo & Stitch: The Series" which peaked when Angel appeared on the show. Disney Channel also had a vast amount of animated programming to get you through the overnight hours. But now it's just "Phineas and Ferb" in overnight animated programming and most of the animated schedulings, with a slight bit of "Fish Hooks". Meanwhile the only great show on nick right now is "T.U.F.F. Puppy", hence the vote for nick as previously noted.
Nowadays, it's tough to choose, since each network has a significant animated series in its roster that makes each worthy in their own way. nickelodeon has 'T.U.F.F. Puppy' (so far) while Disney Channel has "Phineas and Ferb" and to a lesser extent "Fish Hooks". But if I had to choose, I'd go with nickelodeon, especially this time of year, with their Kids' Choice Awards upcoming.
Nickelodeon was my third parent, so it would be patricide if I didn't pick it. Nickelodeon FTW.
I have to give this round to Nickelodeon because it had some of my favorite shows when I was younger such as Are You Afriad of the Dark Clarissa Explains It All. And I loved the cartoons Fairly OddParents,Spongebob Catdog,Ren and Stimpy the game shows What Would You Do,Double Dare. It was just a great network Disney was ok to but Nickelodeon was the best.
* uncontrollably
I'm going to have to weep uncontrolably... The 10 year old that lives inside me hearts each one. I LOVED Kids Incorporated and MMC. But I remember when I was a wee little one, I used to watch endless hours of Nickelodeon with my friends. Hey Dude. Pete and Pete. Pretty much anything that had Mark Sommers. And my friends and I even bought Are You Afraid of the Dark when they would have 3 episodode collections come out on VHS. And when they would have their "Celebrity" guest stars (Tia and Tamera's turn freaked my little girl self out) we would just about die. Also, I can still, at the very least, hum the theme music from most of the shows. And to this day, I still have moments in my life where I am reminded of one of my Nickelodeon shows. "Wash your hands, turn the page. Wash your hands, turn the page"
Props to any network that would put Ren & Stimpy and Invader ZIM on TV. (I lament the premature cancellation of ZIM to this very day.) I finally gave up on SpongeBob after it devolved into nothing more than a money-maker for them, losing all of its adult appeal along the way. But there were some truly good episodes when its creator was still manning the helm (as was also true for R&S).

I guess this is a vote for Nick.

I watch a lot more Disney then Nick nowadays. Disney is always encouraging kids to express themselves and help the Earth and stuff. Nick is doing that too and every fall, they're encouraging them to go out and play by showing nothing on their channel for 3 hours. So both are good. So I guess I'll pick Disney.
nick nick nick nick nick nick nick nickelodeon
Nickelodeon because of all of the shows from the 90s'
I would have to go with Disney...I loved a couple Nick shows growing up, but more Disney...and not sure why you put the Jonas Brothers & Demi Lovato in the worst category...but then I'm a fan of both...
I would have to go with disney, I havent enjoyed Nickelodeon since the 90's. I guess if i really had to choose it would be 90'S Nickelodeon
Disney Channel... I haven`t enjoyed any Nickelodeon shows in like 10 years, but I still watch the Disney channel all the time in the afternoons when there`s nothing else on.
While I love Disney, I've never been a huge Disney Channel fan. On the other hand, I grew up on Nickelodeon. Nostalgia wins! It's NICK!
They are both lame, to be honest. But if I were to chose, I guess Disney Channel, because unlike Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network, they don't have a night-time lineup to cater adults with Nick @ Nite and Adult Swim respectively. Pre-"That's So Raven" Disney Channel was SO AWESOME, they used to air 3 movies a night, aww, nostalgia.
Nickelodeon, despite Phineas and Ferb.
I have to say that there is a recurrent cycle to whose better.Nick was the better channel during the Doug and All That time period. But, then the era of Lizzie Mcguire and Even Steavens to the end of Hannah Montana and Wizards of Waverly Place was Disney all the way. Now, however, Nick is supreme with Icarly, Victorious, and Big time Rush.
Nickelodeon if this were 25+ years ago, but in the last ten years certainly Disney, for things like Kim Possible. Naked mole rat, Senor Senior senior, and all kinds of other goodness.
90's kid here so obviously I have to go with Nick. I still love Avatar, All that, Angry Beavers and Fairly Oddparents. So Nick hands down!
Load More Comments