Which Shows Are About to Get the Axe?

It's fingernail-biting time for television producers all over, as November often brings doom for many shows. Last week, three programs—Hank, Eastwick, and Dollhouse—got the axe, and others will likely follow before the month is through.

So what shows are in trouble? And what are their chances of survival? Let's take a look at one intriguing cancellation candidate from each major network.

Heroes

Mondays on NBC
People have been saying that Heroes is on its last legs ever since Season Two, but it keeps trudging on, thanks to a crazy fan base and international popularity. The current season's biggest supervillain comes in the form of horrible ratings, and Monday's episode plunged to its series low: a 2.2 rating/6 share in the 18-49 year-old demographic. Despite what your friend who wears a "Peter is my Hero" shirt says, the quality of the show hasn't exactly gone up. If it weren't for good DVD sales, a solid Web presence, and the not-so-distant possibility of syndication (Heroes is on episode 68, with 100 being the magic number for viable syndication), I'd say this show is a goner. If Heroes were a Fox or CBS venture, it would be long gone. But as it is, Heroes may still have some life.
Verdict: On the Bubble. Somehow I think this show will inexplicably last one more season.

Melrose Place

Tuesdays on CW
Amanda's back, but who really gives a rat's ass? This remake has had problems from the beginning, and things have only gotten worse. The CW jumped the gun, thinking that all people wanted was to watch new versions of old shows, but the ratings indicate otherwise. Sure, everyone knows the new Melrose and its remade brethren are on TV, but only thanks to beefy marketing campaigns, which is how the CW does things. Look at Gossip Girl, for example: One of the media's favorite darlings isn't even the biggest show in the CW's Monday-night lineup—One Tree Hill consistently beats it. Oops, did I veer off topic about whether or not Melrose Place will be canceled? Sorry. Melrose Place will be canceled.
Verdict: In Trouble. May run out the season, but won't be back next year.

FlashForward

Thursdays on ABC
FlashForward was an incredibly promising series... until it started. After premiering with great numbers, the show has steadily lost huge chunks of its audience. As TVByTheNumbers points out, the recent episodes of FF have averaged only a 2.6 ratings among adults, and ABC's average hovers around 3.1. Do the math; it's easy to see that sucks. I get the feeling that viewers are hanging on by a thread, and from comments I read across the internet, people just don't care anymore about whether the FlashForwards come true or not. Whether it will finish out the season will depend on the cost of producing the show—which is probably too high for penny-pinching execs. Oh, and if V continues on its current trajectory, it could be in trouble too.
Verdict: In Trouble. Might finish out the season, but things aren't looking good for Season Two.

Fringe

Thursdays on Fox
I don't think there is a show this season that has gotten the shaft more than Fringe. Moved to a competitive Thursday-night time slot and preempted by baseball, Fringe has recently hit series lows in the ratings, which prompted fans to fear for its life. But fear not, Fringe folk, Fox likes the show—and it's obvious. This Observer-week promo isn't happening because the net is bored, it's happening because Fox wants the show to survive. And it wants Fringe back for Season Three. And it will be back. And then we'll meet alternate universe Astrid who will be a major ass-kicker! (I hope)
Verdict: It will be back, and hopefully on another night.

Three Rivers

Sundays on CBS
Okay, I was wrong. I thought this show would be a hit for CBS back when it was announced about nine months ago. But it turns out that, without his fangs, Moonlight hunk Alex O'Loughlin just isn't the attraction I thought he would be. Approximately 8.77 million people tuned in last Sunday, but they were mostly grandmas and grandpas, as the audience yielded a measly 2.1 rating in the adult demo. By contrast, Family Guy had a half-million fewer viewers but a juicy 4.1 rating among adults (and sold tons of Axe Body Spray in the process). That's what keeps shows on the air. It's only a matter of time before Three Rivers dries up.
Verdict: In Trouble. Might run out its 13-episode order... if it's lucky.

What other shows do you think are in danger of getting the axe?

Your So F**ckin Stupid why do they allways axe the films i love,, FLASHFORWARD IS THE F**CKING BEST !!!!
Im from Ireland!! I watched Flash Forward!! Its my faveourite show... and now they have axed it!! I saw the last ever episode last night on RTE 2 (irish channell) and now its over.... it was class tho... they left it on a cliff hanger!!! :D
If they want the ratings to be good, stop showing it at 11:30pm!!!!!! I absolutely love Flash Forward, it's a fantastic concept and a show which has moved well. I love it, i'm gutted it's getting cut. Typical spastic exec's looking at numbers rather than the reasons why......
I am so up set that you took Eastwick off!!!Even my husband enjoyed watching it.
Thanks for the encouraging words about Fringe.....I keep hearing how its going to be axed, and its nice to hear that it most likely will not. Its such a great show, great actors!
save flash forward and three rivers! both great shows that are just in a rut give them a chance to revamp things and see what happens networks cancel shows way to soon!

Also correct me if I'm wrong but didn't the original Star Trek tv series manage to hit syndication before reaching its 100th episode. According to imdb there were only 80 episodes. Yet somehow it was syndicated right?
I read the hyperlink to this? and it made me wonder if the shows were going to get AXE deodorant because of axe being typed in all caps or if they were going to be canceled. I suppose they could still work AXE in there somehow as product placement, I mean if it can work for Attack of the Killer Tomatoes then why not?
Flash Forward deserves to die as does Stargate Universe. Both began as promising shows but ran out of steam very quickly. Neither has any where near appealing enough characters. And the plotlines are far too thin to hold my interest. It was a surprise to hear about Dollhouse getting the flick. I'm glad Fox is supportive of Fringe. There's a program with meaty characters and thought provoking plots. Hope it gains greater audience numvbers.
I love the Flashforward series... unfortunate due to the cost of Cable I don't have the ability to watch it on tv.. but I watch it every week on Hulu
the only shows I care about are Heroes and Flashforward, please take heroes off, it has been bleeding out for seasons now and it should just be put out of its misery. I still watch hoping that it will get better but it really is not, so just give us an hour of our lives back every monday NBC, thank you. I love flashforward and although it is no LOST, it definitely has to potential to get remotely close. Honestly people, give this show more time, it did get a little slow but it is definitely back, the episode airing this week is absolutely AMAZING, so much shocking stuff goes down that makes your head spin. LOST is the best.
these are good shows. please tell me what the hell are peple watching?
I stopt watching Heroes last year, FlashForward last week Fringe after 4 episodes and did not start with Melrose Place. They can be stopt. No problem with that. I love Glee, 90210, Weeds, Brothers and Sisters, Desperates Housewives, True Blood, Cougar Town.... so I will not miss the rest.
I really really wanted to like FlashForward, as I'm a fan of Robert Sawyer who wrote the book...but I just couldn't manage it. I think the biggest problem is the presence of Brannon Braga, who is simply the biggest hack in the business. He can't write believable original dialogue to save his life; and he has a history of taking shows whose original creators have moved on from, and ruining them. Star Trek sucked under his watch, and he just recently produced the weakest season of 24 yet. This guy should not be trusted with a studio's money!
Fringe better not get canned. It's the best show on this list for sure. I just wish they wouldn't have so many weeks off all the time for things like baseball as the article said.
Olivia is purdy.
Not a card carrying, shirt wearing fan, but I think Heroes is a lot better this season. Is it the lack of Sci Fi Love?
I hope they cancel Stargate Universe. Worst series ever.
Heroes? V? FlashForward? It's just the sci-fi shows they're going to take out. Shame!
Those guys must be crazy!!!

The good series are being canceled and they think that's a good thing?

Why the hell would they want to cancel Fringe, Flash Forward, V and Heroes??

Ok, heroes is not exciting as it used to be but to cancel Heroes and leave shows like freaking Gossip Girl, The L Word,Glee and other crapy show's that are still passing on tv... Come on!!

Psych and Eastwick are canceled, i think that the viewers love to see a bunch of retarded guys making a fool of them on national TV.

Sanctuary is a crappy show byt is still on...

Come on people, think about it.
All the series merit to be canned already let alone give them another season.Flash Forward...please .Thesdyas everybody wants the little sci fi and lots of melodrama recipe to be a success.Heroes..much ado about nothing.Fringe...Xfiles wannabes and Melrose place..peopel got Twitter now to seek gossip and who di who.Where is Stargate Universe????? This show should get cancelled NOW PRONTO
somebody please just put heroes out of its misery, its like a dog that needs to be put down but nobody will do it cos they love it soo much. seriously its bad and needs to get cancelled.
I think that Flashforward will definitely get canceled. It used to be beating Bones every week in ratings, then it slipped to the same amount of viewers, and now it's getting quite a bit less than Bones. The number of viewers is steadily going down which is going to get it canceled.
add a comment I am getting tired of this "grandma/grandpa stuff. After all, baby-boomers and seniors buy these products, too. The desired demographic (18-39) watch these programs on their computers or DVD them to watch later so they are not counted in viewership ratings. Therefore a lot of good programming gets zapped and the rest of us are stuck with cheaply budgeted reality shows and moronic comedies. I happen to like well-done dramas... "The Good Wife", "Cold Case" and "Three Rivers" are some of them. In fact, the latter is not only riveting but has an important story to tell about organ transplantation. Okay, so I am a great-grandmother but I have a cell phone. use the computer and even write and publish an internet magazine. But my family including those in the favored demographic are sitting there watching it with me or recording it to watch the next day. What is wrong with this rating system? Why are so many of the viewing public left without a voice?
Melrose Place is a good show with Heather Locklear returning will help it spread it's wings and fly(unless I'm wrong and it'll crash and burn) and since they're getting rid of the dead weight like Colin Egglesfield(too bad he was voted the fan favorite and he still got the axe) and Ashlee Simpson-Wentz(who's acting stinks) Dollhouse will officially be cancelled in 2010 guaranteed with the crappy ratings it's getting. The new shows that are dominating are "V", The Good Wife, NCIS: Los Angeles, Modern Family, etc.
Three Rivers never starts on time in the east ...football always runs late so i never really could get into the show......
Melrose Place
The problem is, this year they put Fringe on thursday, the power night. It needs to be on tuesday or wednesday. It would bring in more viewers that way. Thursday in the "power" night. Fringe is still new for that.
No way in hell they would cancel Fringe. but i would cry if they took "V" off the air
i love dollhouse and watch melrose place. i'm disappointed in these decisions to take them off air!
You say Heroes would be gone if it was a FOX show.

Then it means it's great as "stupid" FOX seem to love to axe great shows...

This season is the best since the 1st one.

Flash Forward is great too and not that hard to follow. I mean, if you have half a brain...
im glad someone is talking about this. All the shows mentioned above are really disappointing the fans especially me. I thought flashfoward would be one of the craziest new shows but it's having a hard time getting the story together. Heroes has come to a point where they are just confusing everyone watching it, they are just making things worse as they go. Fringe still has a chance at surviving this but they need to hit us with something very unexpected.
First of all, I dont know what ABC is thinking if they plan on cutting Flash Forward... The other shows are all about the same repeated nonsense so i couldn't care less for them, but this one here is rather intriguing, unlike half of the other crap out there (excuse my language) And as to some of the negative comments below, the show has only had 9 episodes, so are you serious? How can you say its getting "old" or "boring?" You obviously don't know what you're talking about when one, there's so many questions unanswered, and two, they give you just tid bits in every episode like pieces to a puzzle... Pls ABC do yourselves a favor & keep the show, keep making it interesting & who knows, maybe you'll have more viewers tuned in, who honestly barely watched before this show...
They should at least give FlashForward a chance...geez, its been on what? 9 episodes and theyre already throwing it down, its a little confusing..yeah but i think thats the whole point, i mean, look at lost, no one had the slightest clue till towards the end of season 1 so i think they should give it a chance, plus i think its a great series with awesome potential, and Heroes is fantastic they should let it run ts course, its just other channels execs with a stick up their bums because none of their shows have lasted as long as Heroes has, plus it just came out of a confusing season with Nathans death and Sylars whole conscious purging thing....i just say let it straighten out and run its course...they shouldnt even think about cancelling Heroes, FF, or Fringe, as ganjamaan said, "FlashForward, V, Heroes and Fringe are all good shows!! Cancel the rest."
Fox made the stupidest mistake by putting fringe on thursdays they should have left it where it was thriving, on tuesdays. It would have made a great one two punch with V over at ABC in the 8:00p.m. time slot, and fringe in the 9:00p.m. But NOOOO... they had to put that vile piece of crap so you think you can dance in the fall lineup, the result a complete failure.

Then again V like Flash Forward were big let downs, so who knows really.
To all the Haters out there Heroes will have 4 moar seasons!
I'm confused by the whole Fringe situation. Why did Fox put it's promo machine power behind it with 'Observer Week' - only to force it into hiatus until March...and STILL keep it on Thursdays? I don't get it.
I love Heroes, but all good things come to an end, right? I will sorely miss the show, though, when it is gone...

Season 2&3 were pretty weak in a lot of ways, but this season is giving me a lot more hope. I will be devastated if Heroes won't get a fifth season.
I am also very disappointed in stargate universe it could have been so much better!!
Heroes should just die already, Fringe should stick around and the rest who cares.
FlashForward, V, Heroes and Fringe are all good shows!! Cancel the rest.
kinda surprised stargate universe isnt on there just too much like lost boring as hell
All this whining about Fringe's tough time slot is really starting to piss me off. NCIS has the toughest time slot there is and it has higher ratings than almost every show. If it's a good show people will watch. It's not the timeslots fault.
You can easily advance allt he Flashforward mystery by watching the last 5 minute of each episode. The rest is just people freaking out about whether the flashforward will come true or not. It gets old after 8-9 weeks.
I LOVE Fringe and what it's all about but it really dropped the story ball this season. Nobody wants monsters of the week, what happened to the bible-reading girl they met in the first episode? Next ep in 2 weeks looks like another filler, even the Observer's ep was so-so.
dey CANNOT cancel Fringe it just has a bad timeslot
All the above mentioned Shows are useless and deserve to get axed! Especially Heroes, its pathetic. Fringe has potential, but its story line is shaky. Wouldn't miss any of these shows. Hopefully better shows replace these!
I really hope Heroes ends!! Its totally waste of time! Its more like Losers!!
They can't just look at the US and live tuning... it is not a real number. I am from Europe and I have to download it and then watch. I love Flashforward it is interesting new show and with a very original story. It would be such a shame if they cancel it. And I dont wanna talk about Heroes, they are not just better this season they are great.
I like Flash Forward and Three Rivers...I wonder if DVRing hurts ratings? There are only so many hours in a day...and most of my TV watching happens on the weekend via DVR.
I like flashforward and i hope it will get better. melrose place is bad but not worse than 90210 ... this is a terrible show and i don't know it's not cancelled
I love Heroes and Flash Forward, its very disappointing to hear this. Although its true, we have been hearing this about Heroes year after year. I really hope they both continue. Can I also say that I really miss Kings? One of the best new shows last year... canned! Bah!
Load More Comments