Why Heather Locklear's Return to Melrose Place Doesn't Matter

Ugh. The bitch is back, I guess. Heather Locklear returned to Melrose Place last night, reprising her role as Amanda Woodward. Locklear, whose promotion to series regular during the second season of the original Melrose immediately boosted the ratings, probably won't be able to perform that miracle again. Because no one cares! As Ella's new boss, it's somewhat interesting to see Locklear butt heads with Katie Cassidy, who's basically Locklear 2.0. But there is a larger problem with this kind of stunt casting: The audience for the new Melrose Place has no effing clue who any of the people from the old Melrose Place are.

The original Melrose premiered 17 years ago. The new one is obviously targeted at (very) young adults, not only because it is on the CW but because only teenagers (and not particularly smart ones) could be captivated by the amount of dumbness that is depicted in any given episode. Today's teenagers were babies, either newborns or younger, when the original debuted. Not to make sweeping generalizations, but I conducted an imaginary poll of 100 teenagers, asking them if they cared about the existence of Heather Locklear. The answers ranged from "who's that?" to "not unless she can get me into the Nordstrom New Moon screenings." (At the risk of veering into the inappropriate, the only other possible demographic for this show consists of people who think Katie Cassidy is the hottest girl on television since, well, Heather Locklear. And we they don't need their ogling interrupted by the constant reminder of what she will look like in 20 years. Which is still pretty great, but you know.)

It's nice that Locklear is getting work, if she wants it. But the return of Amanda, or Sydney, or Jane, or Michael isn't helping Melrose 2009. Let's focus on the new characters and try to make the show interesting. We're running out of time. And cast members.

I totally disagree! I think the target audience is young women in their 20's who probably saw a few episodes of the old ones here and there but was probably too young to get into then. I never really watched the old ones until Heather's return. I really wanted to learn her back story so I immediately netflixed the old ones and got hooks on all the old characters. I love Heather's return and hope they keep her and bring back more of the old characters. Also after watching the old Melrose I realized what an amazing job Ashley Simpson has done play Sydney's daughter. I can see how someone could not see that before seeing the old ones but after seeing the old ones her character makes sense.
I plan to watch the entire season when it comes out on DVDs.
They might be trying to bring back some of the older viewers but are any of them even going to want to watch the new Melrose Place since it's so horrible, even with the return of Heather?
"i conducted an imaginary poll of 100 teenagers!" That was pretty funny. But yeah i agree. No one cares.
I'm one who watched and loved MP the first time. I hanbn't seen the new MP yet, but Amanda was a great character then, and if Locklear recaptures the role now as she used to, everybody will enjoy it. It does not matter from what generation you are!!!

A great character is always a winner, and Heather knows how to play it.
totally agree with the article and with nairhart01
I agree with this article. Heather Locklear joining New Melrose Place is the same thing as Shannon Dorothy joining 90210. Both moves do nothing to help the ratings. Sure, you might get some old timers that want to remember the original and want to see their favorite characters, but those people are the minority. I would have preferred if the CW put reruns of the original series instead of this fake teen version.
A theory: CW is trying to draw in the "older" crowd. The one that is made up of the original viewer of MP. The economy bites hard. Teenagers aren't exactly the cash cow they used to be now that mom and dad (Part of that original viewer group, BTW) are pinching pennies to get by. Heather takes the older demographic down memory lane and looks pretty darn good doing it. Sydney and what's his name, Doc daddy, Michael. Weren't exactly enough to draw the old crowd back. Heather, on the other hand. Could.
Completely agree with this assessment.
I don't know anything about the original Melrose Place because I never watched it, but the current MP is a lot of fun to watch with interesting characters and story. On the other hand, 90210 is crap. I gave up after season 1. MP is so much better than 90210. I'm not familiar with Heather Locklear's character, but I loved her first appearance.
Personally, I love the new Melrose Place. But I'm one of those who don't really care if Heather Locklear/Amanda is back -- I mean, she seems like an interesting character, but I haven't seen a second of the original show to care that she's apparently some iconic character. That's beyond my generation to know those things. BUT, I loved the show before she was on, and it was also just as good last night. I do realize it's most likely going to be cancelled, and that makes me kinda sad.
But I think the acting is really good, and it's more than just about snobby rich people, I think people are just so fed up with CW's remakes and rich teens stuff that they don't care to watch this. But it actually is something to tune in for in my opinion.
In my opinion, the new melrose place is... well, terrible. i watched for the first two or three episodes, and then realized that i wouldn't give the show any more of my "precious time." the only good shows that the cw has going for it are The Vampire Diaries and Gossip Girl. One Tree Hill WAS the best, but, with the absence of Lucas and Peyton it, well, blows. And Smallville was good for the first six seasons, but seven, eight, and nine are not so wonderful. They're cheesy. I think it's time to get some new CW writers.
Yeah well Melrose Place was awsome... in ITS TIME.. right now its not the same... it seems like another show with the "MELROSE PLACE" name on it...

XO XO