Will you miss Arrested Development?

Yesterday, Fox cut down its order for the Emmy-winning sitcom Arrested Development from 22 episodes to 13. It also yanked the show from the November sweep schedule. Arrested Development had just returned from a monthlong hiatus, with two back-to-back episodes guest-starring Academy Award winner Charlize Theron, but it only attracted 4 million viewers. The low ratings hurt Prison Break, which follows it, and slowing down a new hit is a big no-no.

Now, while Fox hasn't exactly said the word "canceled," we all know what is happening. It's a cosmic injustice and a pattern that occurs over and over on television: Every time an offbeat, usually somewhat cerebral comedy manages to endear itself to a small but dedicated audience, the show and its audience get the rug pulled out from under them. The Comeback. Andy Richter Controls the Universe. Freaks and Geeks. All gone. Yet somehow Yes, Dear is going strong in its sixth season. There is no sense to it, but at least we can remember this fine show and the many other comedies, and a few shows that straddle the line, that have dared to be too good for the masses.

The Comeback--This HBO comedy was an acquired taste, to be sure, but those who stuck around to appreciate it were devastated by the news of it's cancellation. It cultivated a diehard fan base, but most people watched the nasty pilot, populated almost entirely by repellent Hollywood types, and said to themselves, "I don't need to see that!"

Andy Richter Controls the Universe--This workplace sitcom was a midseason replacement on Fox, which saw the wisdom in green-lighting the show and picked it up the next season. Fox then regretted its decision and quickly canceled it.

Freaks and Geeks--This "comedy drama" on NBC (note: not FOX, as previously stated. Sorry, our bad!) about being a nerdy teen in the early '80s didn't even last a full season. It lives on in the hearts and minds of the spandex generation. Show creator Judd Apatow recently scored big with his film The 40 Year Old Virgin.

Undeclared--This series, also created by Judd Apatow, was kind of a Freaks and Geeks set in college. It met the same fate. Network: Fox!

Square Pegs--This one-season cult classic was created by Anne Beatts, one of the original writers on Saturday Night Live. It starred future Sex and the City gal Sarah Jessica Parker as part of the mega-nerd crowd. Unbelievable!

Bosom Buddies--This sitcom, which used Billy Joel's "My Life" as its theme, featured two advertising executives who had to dress up as women and live in an all-female apartment. How could that miss? It was canceled after two seasons, but that was fine for series star Tom Hanks, who went on to have a small movie career

Brisco County Jr.--Bruce Campbell starred as the titular character of this absurd Fox series in the scf-fi/western genre (OK, that's a niche market). This show premiered on Fox the same night as The X-Files. Maybe people didn't want to mix silly sci-fi with deadly serious sci-fi.

Mr. Show with Bob and David--Quite possibly the funniest television show ever made. If you want to get your fill of Arrested's David Cross, look no further. Also starring the equally hilarious Bob Odenkirk. Look for cameos by comedy luminaries Jack Black, Sarah Silverman, Tom Kenny, and others.

Upright Citizens Brigade--Cerebral, conceptual, and clever. Three words that mean two things: funny and canceled. This sketch show starred Amy Poehler, who went on to Saturday Night Live, and Ian Roberts, who guest-starred on...Arrested Development!

Get a Life--Chris Elliot starred as a 30-something man-child, still working his paper route and living with his parents in this Fox sitcom. This concept was a funny novelty in the early '90s, and then it became a sad reality after the dot-com crash.

Police Squad!--Leslie Nielsen was perfect as the stone-faced idiot Captain Frank Drebin. This show was exactly what you'd expect from the creators of Airplane: fast-paced gags and nutty slapstick. It was a bomb on TV, but it lived on as a hit movie series.

Sledge Hammer--This was another cop-show lampoon. David Rasche starred as a belligerent doofus who swaggered into every situation blindly and uttered the famous catch phrase "Trust me, I know what I'm doing" before completely bungling something.

The Family Guy--This is the only show on the list that was canceled and then revived by the same network (maybe you've heard of them: Fox). This show may be a room divider, but that's the way comedy should be. If it appeals to everyone, it's suspicious. This show is also one of the few revived by fan appeal (and DVD sales). See, your votes and wishes do count!

Someone, give us a reason to keep living! TV.com suggests that Comedy Central should pick up Arrested Development and give it a second life. On cable, 4 million viewers a week is a monster hit. Besides, Jason Bateman already has had his share of cancellations: remember "It's Your Move," the 1984 "Silver Spoons" spin-off?

This is just a smattering of the great unsung. Have we forgotten one of your favorites? Do you hate these shows and think they got what they deserved? Let us know!

What do you mean will I miss Arrested Development. OF COURSE ILL MISS IT. Sorry i get very angry when i think of those IDIOTS at Fox. This proves that the good die young
I heart "Arrested Development". We watch the dvd's and still laugh at every line. How can a show so perfect get cancelled? I guess everyone's busy watching "wife swap" and "according to Jim"...sigh.
i loved arrested development SOOOOOOO much that i would sell a member of my family for just ONE more episode!!!!! it can only be described as PERFECT. the cast, dialogue, music, narration, set.....all perfection!! i would sacrifice ANY other show i love to get AD back.

And the comeback was hilarious.
*sigh* those damn writers and their "too hard to write anyway!"-ness...
I think corporate should re-think bringing back Arrested Development. There is a strong cult following. People are talking a lot about it since the 2006 Christmas marathon. This show is loaded with jokes, & we can watch it over and over again and find something new to laugh about. I think it will have long term sales in the DVD department. Please bring Arrested Development back!
Nice list of great cancelled shows...freaks and geeks, get a life, and futurama were great shows also. Does anyone remember "the pj's"? The edddie murphy claymation show that was on about 7 years ago? It was another great show that fox put an end to. But as far as arrested developement goes....

It was without a doubt, one of the best shows in the history of tv. Great cast, great writting, and just plain funny. I love to watch the dvd's, but I feel sad that there will not be another new episode.

Fox must be run be total morons. Like many other networks, they are caught up on more reality and talent shows. Who ever thought of that "americas got talent" should be shot several times in the head. I have come to the conclusion that fox is spending way to much money on that no talent assclown simon on american idol, to pay its great writers and performers on there better shows.

At least the simpsons are still own......so far.
Freaks and geeks and Undeclared were awesome shows the best ever made man! wat the hell were they thinkin they could hav had a bigger audience. Maybe Judd Apatow did something to Fox to piss them off! cause both of his amazing shows he made were awesome and everybody loved it i meen reely isnt that werd that it just suddenly cancelled it....
the inside was the besta little graffic but the best!!! thoes 7 episodes were the best!!!!
arrested devleopment i will stay true and watch your dvd but will never forgect your sunday , monday ,and or friday aireing. arrested devlopment we hardly knew ye. :(
titus
Fox is evil! :) Obviously. Firefly... now Arrested Development. *sigh*.
Number 1, FOX did nothing but give Seth McFarlen money. Cartoon Network's Adult Swim block is 100% responsible for reviving Family Guy, and FOX is 100% a money grubbing whore. They saw a chance to grab a few more bucks and they took it, and that is ALL they did.

Now to the topic, what the hell is Arrested Development? And also, besides family guy what is every show on that list? Too bad for Andy Richter but his show sucks, wish you had stayed as Conan's right hand man.

And finally, Titus is probably the only non animated show that has ever aired on FOX that I liked. But there's always a great amount of joy in being able to ignore FOX completely again.
Another fine show bites the dust. Now what we need are just more reality shows!

*sigh*
This is an awesome show, and FOX have messed up with not making anymore series!
I'll miss you ArDee!(that's what I called him, he called me biggies... WHY FOX?! WHY?!!!
I can't believe this show being cancelled. It is absolutely AWESOME for crying out loud! I'm from Italy, and i don't really understand how can this happen! How can be possible that this show hasn't the audience he deserve, COME ON!! I LOVE THIS SHOW...
On the next "Arrested Development":
Fox producers: We made a HUGE mistake!
Let's just pray that someone picks it up. It would be a travesty for someone just to throw this awesome show.
Yes, yes I will.
Did anyone notice how they hyped up some the comedies. I kept thinking 'they are axing AD for this crap.' I guess Dumbed down TV makes for good TV. Anybody think there might even be hope that the new CW would pic up AD? Do the execs even watch these shows? Oops, that's assuming they have the intelligence to understand the comedy.
I love this show, I just recently found it. A friend had bought the first season, and we watched the first few episodes, and now it's my new found love. It's amazing how they created the show, and I wish they haven't cancelled it...now that I know it exists. I really hope that SOMEONE will continue it.
The only shows on this list that I was a fan of was the Upright Citizens Bridgade I've heard Freaks and Geeks was an instant classic and seeing as how I loved the Forty Year Old Virgin I'm sure I'd love it but the rest of these shows deserved cancelation. A fate truly unfitting for Arrested Development, I hope and pray this isn't the last of this show, its brilliance far exceeded anything the Fox network has had or ever will. Its their loss, as it was with the incredible lack of adversting and promotion, but it will be another networks gain I wish it would be NBC but Showtime is just as good, no one give up I know I won't I just bought Season two today.
This is funny. If Fox didn't have reunion and 24, I would boycott immediately." In other words "If I didn't like any of the shows on Fox, I wouldn't watch.

It is a little sad that you considerhaving three shows that you regularly watch on one network to be a SMALL amount. Methinks you watch just a bit too much TV.
It did not take Seinfeld 5 seasons to become a hit. Yes, it did not become the monster hit until season 5. But by season 4 (which was really less than three seasons of episodes) it was alreay getting decent ratings.
It's Your Move was not a Silver Spoons spin off.
Everyone should miss this show! Especially FOX, maybe prison break didn't get good ratings because it wasn't a good show. Arrested Development was just gaining popularity and now it's going to be gone. FOX has had just about the worst programming history of any of the networks and should be proud of one of the few gems it's ever had.
Absolutley not. I tried watching this show once after all the hoop-lah about it, and it was, in my opinion... Awful!
JUS HERD IT>>>>CANT BELIEVE IT!!!
I will truely miss this show.
According to AP, Fred Savage, a child star from the 80's is starring in a new ABC sitcom about a dysfunctional family that runs a restaurant business.

He says...and I quote..."``Crumbs'' appealed to him because it didn't have ``that set-up/set-up/joke pattern that has come to define sitcom. I liked that it was about the characters, about the family"

Fred Savage plays a gay man with a failed acting career. The show will supposedly..."be about families, and the secrets that families keep from each other..."

Let the rip-offs begin!

Now this show may have eventually made it to the air had "Arrested Development" not been so critically acclaimed and won the Emmy. However, I'm envisioning someone in a room somewhere with a slew of writers in front of him saying, "Bring me an "Arrested Development type of show!" So, an original, intelligent, and side-splittingly funny show gets the axe, we the viewers have to content ourselves with a watered-down AD-lite, and all the while, the people over at FOX are too brain-addled to hold on to what they have. It really is a sad comment on the status quo of the corporate mind and the state of television.
Check this out... THE FUNNIEST SHOW ON TV. Period. The Office runs a close second, but it isn't time tested yet. Perfect casting, acting, scripting, narration, Arrested doesn't do ANYTHING wrong. Fox, you are a bunch of idiots.

I agree, FUTURAMA! The NFL killed Futurama. Stupid football games running over new episodes that were'nt re-aired. Futurama was obviously better than The Simspons after two episodes. Not to mention it was set in freaking space. (um.. endless storylines?) I'm so very tired of seeing babies in Springfield grow up before my eyes yet Maggie is still, nevermind, just too frustrating.

Hey Fox, we HATE inspired, well written, well acting, and frankly hilarious shows. What we really like is reality shows. Beautiful people doing pointless crap for prizes is where it is at.

Arrested DESERVES Sunday night, not that stupid rip off of Married with Children.

I detest cable TV. (because I don't like PAYING for commercials.) BUT, I will get cable or satellite the nanosecond Arrested appears on there, if it does. I turned all my friends onto Arrested, whom all went and bought both DVD sets. What else can I do to convince Fox that this is the best show ever? (in my opinion.)
Arrested is hands down THE funniest show I have ever seen on TV. I can't imagine a world without it. I have turned a few friends onto it, as I only have a few friends anyways. Whatever stupid crap they put on in it's place will NOT be watched by me. I'll instead pop in a DVD of season one or two and watch Arrested instead. BEST SHOW. Great characters, great acting, narration, cameras, everything. I have never seen a show more perfectly scripted or casted. How can this show get cancelled, yet the profoundly racist George Lopez keeps chugging along. You are stupid FOX. If you didn't have Family guy, I can't imagine why I'd watch. SO SICK AND TIRED OF REALITY SHOWS. They are the nastiest load of diarrhetic crap that has ever trickled out of TV butthole. Way to go FOX. Just go all reality.

I loved Get a Life, also. Brilliant. Did anyone mention Whoops? That show about a post nuclear attempt at remaking civilization? I can't remember if it was funny or not.

FOX, DO NOT CANCEL ARRESTED. The only other show even close to being as funny would be The Office.
Arrested Development has got to live on man...

TITUS! I have every episode and I canNOT believe they killed it. I watched some Chris Titus standup and some recent gigs he got after the show (MadTV, was on Drew Carey Show once) and he's still hilarious. damn wahts wrong with fox. And titus had some of the best writing, sometimes dealing with current topics such as racism (Tommy's Dad is Gay, watch the last speech...legendary), ****sexuality, raising kids...sigh

AND CLONE HIGH! THEY ENDED IT ON A CLIFFHANGER! Now THAT was what 90210 should really be...sigh...

Oh, and though not technically a comedy, the cancellation of dark angel ****ed. It was an amazing show, sent Alba to stardome, and worsed of all the shows writers so desperately tried to finish the show that the whole storyline got sent off on a tangent and completely confused the whole lot of us.

freakin' networks.
Fox has cancelled many brilliant shows before their time. Someone mentioned Titus, that was a great show. Futurama, another great show. They would rather have shows with cheap sex jokes, than shows that make you think.

The fact is, this show was too intelligent and too damn hilarious for network television. Hopefully after FOX cancels Arrested Development, it'll find it's true home somewhere else. Perhaps Showtime. Whatever the chanel, it'll be beter than FOX. FOX equals 666, think about it.
God Damn it...Someone Pick this show up !!! There is so much other crap that this can replace...Hello 4 Million Views !!
i don't know what they're doing cutting off the episdoes!!! Fox people are sooo stupid sometimes! They still have Nanny 911 and O.C. rip offs coming all the time! And The Simpsons are not funny anymore and yet they still put it on! They should totally keep Arrested Development! And if they don't...let's hope Showcase/Comedy Central does because 3 seasons of this show is not enough!! It's so funny!
this show is hilarious and deserves a better fate then fox has given it- put it on one of the specialty stations-thats where it belongs- here in canada, it would do great on the movie network or showcase!!!
it just ****s how the hell can shows like everybody loves raymond last for so long when they truley do **** hard but shows like Arrested Development which is up there with some of the best comedy shows that have ever been made get cancelled its is just wrong plain a smiple Fox you will go to hell for this
It's not cancelled. Yet...
My husband and I have been a bit down in the dumps since we heard the news. Fox canceling AD makes a few things clearer to me. It tells me that Fox is still the same network that cancelled Married with Children (the show that put the network on the map) with no warning for the fans or the stars, in between seasons. They do not value their programming, their talent, or their viewers. It also tells me that the state of the American viewing public is much worse than I thought it was. I've noticed that most of the new acquaintances I've made in the last few years were ignorant people who needed me to speak like a 13 year old about topics that would interest a 13 year old just to be intelligible, but I thought I was having a run of bad luck or that it might be due to my economic situation or the area I live in. I had no idea that the vast majority of Americans fell into this category (which must be the case if only 4 million Americans value AD). Maybe the problem is the lack of intelligent Americans with a sense of humor. Plenty of intelligent shows are out there but they all seem to be dramas (I have enough drama in my own life without actively seeking it out on television, what I need is a good laugh), and all the comedies seem to be geared towards adults with the intellect of a pre-teen (which even I can enjoy on a rare occasion). Sure Fox dropped the ball as far as advertising is concerned, but I don't need an advertisement to tell me what to watch or what to buy. The failure of AD on Fox is due to the money hungry executives at the Fox network, and the juvenile sense of humor and intellect of the majority of the American public.
I enjoy AD more then Seinfeld. Thats not a shot at another all time great, but Seinfeld didn't really become what people will rememeber it for until a few seasons in. I'm so sad to see AD go....please tell me its all a bad dream
Oh no! Are you serious! This show can't end! Please! There is so much more to go! This can't true. I sure hope they find a new home or get more episodes! I've loved this show so much. That commentator is my favorite!
I think Arrested Develepmont is the best show on television next to Seinfeld. I don't know anyone else who watches it, so i guess i can see why it is getting cancelled. But it shouldn't! It's a hilarious show! I can't believe its getting cancelled.

EROK
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ok I don't normaly get too involved in things but where do I/we have to send the emails to, to show fox or who ever to keep this show going?
There are two comedys that immeaditly come to mind when i hear the words unfair. Greg the Bunny, starring Eugene Levy and Seth Green was an unbelivebly funny show. Fox jus kept moving it all over the place so nobody knew when it was on, so very few people watched it. The other that comes to mind is a rare find. The hour long comedy of Wonderfalls starring Caroline Darhvanas. This wonderfully quirky show lasted only four episodes. Strangly enogh both of these shows were on fox. Fox also cancelled several excellent Dramas prematurly but that is a conversation for another day.
If FOX is as incredibly stupid as they appear to be and decide to offer some insipid show in the place where AD should be I have decided on my own impotent response. I will not watch any show on FOX that is shown in AD's Monday time slot. Prison Break is already on that list and if 24 is put in that slot then it is history also. In truth I am not interested in either of those dim witted shows but this gives me an organizing principle for black listing shows from FOX.

Of course there is nothing we can really do in the presence of such monumental stupidity. FOX gets the best comedy since Seinfeld and their only thought is what reality show might cost less for that time slot. NBC stayed with a show that they knew was better than the ratings it was getting and they were rewarded with a top- money earner eventually.

A TV show that is actually good, something better than just filler between tedious commercials is such a rare thing how can they consider cancelling it? Don't they have any pride in what they do?
Futurama and Titus definitely belong on the list. Also, don't forget that Fox's proclifity for greenlighting and then abruptly giving up on shows is not just limited to those of the comedy genre, lest we forget Joss Whedon's Firely.

I started watching Arrested Development last year during it's last four or five episodes, typically tuning in to watch The Simpsons and just never changing the channel afterward. I didn't know what was going on with the storylines, but the character of GOB cracked me up and I was eventually hooked. With Season 2 under the tree for Christmas, I checked out the Season 1 DVD yesterday. Wow! Now, I get it, and I wish I didn't because realizing how amazingly funny and inventive this show is makes me all the more upset at its unofficial cancellation.

I don't think that the American viewing public is really ready for a show like Development on any of the broadcast networks. After all, NBC has their own critically acclaimed, ratings deprived show. It's called Scrubs. So, if the show is to be revived the obvious destination is to be cable:

Comedy Central-I think this would be a bold and sensible move for them, adding Development to a line-up of orignal shows such as The Daily Show, Colbert Report, Showbiz Show, South Park, and eventually re-runs of Scrubs and Futurama.

Showtime-They cancelled a cult dark comedy in Dead Like Me because it wasn't bringing them any prestige. Well, unless Development turned south quick it would probably bring them nominations.

HBO-After the failures of Mind of the Married Man and THe Comeback, do they want to add a critical success/ratings disappointment to Curb Your Enthusiasm? It's a good question.

My pick would be Comedy Central.

However, I don't anticipate any of that happening. As best I can tell, particularly based upon the cast member's public comments on the matter so far, this is most probably the end of Arrested Development.
Load More Comments