YouTube in trouble over 24 clips

YouTube got served.

The online video site has been served a subpeona by 20th Century Fox because full episodes of 24 and The Simpsons wound up there. The subpoena orders YouTube to reveal the real name of the user who uploaded them, ECOtotal.

The subpeona was filed by 20th Century Fox on January 18 in the US District Court for the Northern District of California, according to tech blog Google Watch.

In the case of 24, the episodes were uploaded to YouTube before they aired on TV. Fox says the uploaded shows will cause it "irreparable harm" and is seeking to file a suit under the Digital Copyright Act.

Last year, YouTube complied with a subpoena from Paramount Pictures to divulge the name of a user who had uploaded clips from the film Twin Towers.

YouTube declined to comment on the issue. Fox confirmed it had served a supeona to YouTube and another video site, LiveDigital, which also had the 24 episodes on it.

Relax guys!It's a stupid action,ok,but we are not going to shoot them!Relax and enjoy every episode of 24 and Simpsons,which are really great series!
The people who upload the shows onto YouTube are dumb. They know it is wrong and they do it anyway, they deserve their punishment.
I am in such a love hate relationship with Fox. On one hand they are so fanatically right wing, yet on the other hand they have so much programming that I love...DAMN YOU FOX
How could these stupid people do something as dumb as that
They should know better then doing things like that. It probably was some teens being dumb.
How stupid are people to do stuff like that?!?!? I hope they throw the book at the person!
this is stupid... stuff like this makes communism look good
I bet the hid that got downloaded this episode got it from one of the crew members on 24. And if so FOX should pat them selves on the back for not keeping a leach on its employees.
This is why you don't ever register your real name on websites where copyright material may just happen to pass your path. Though I believe if you were to purchase a DVD and upload the content to youtube, that shouldn't violate any law, you've paid good money for something and you should have the right to do with it what you will. Nobody can download material from youtube, you can only view - what's the harm in that?
If it wasn't for places like youtube I wouldn't know half my favourite TV shows like Veronica Mars existed because I'm English!
Ohh come on.. That guy is soo busted... Stupid people gets what they deserve!
ah yes the old debate over piracy, is there a petion making piracy legal?
This is stupid, this reminds me back in the day when VCR's came out what do people think VCR's are for? "record your fave TV shows " the ads would say. isn't that piracy also, it definetly breaks copyright laws. Bestbuy advertizes R-DVDS the same way ......Shouldn't the TV companies sue Best Buy/Target/Sears for allowing products to record their TV shows? As far as I can tell the guy was doing them a favor by allowing people that missed the show to be able to watch it or people that never seen it to see it and get hooked. And to the lady that sayd "glad they are cracking down on piracy" I bet my right arm you have some kind of pirated material either on your computer, or recorded on DVD or Tape. Or perhaps you have program your VCR/DVR to record a show while you are out. I hate Hypocrisy.
That's pretty crazy. I didn't know youtube was doing that. Or should I say allowing users to do that.
I want the Simpsons episodes back.
to clear up any confusion as to how the episodes got online, someone got a advanced copy of a 24 dvd that came out that had eps 1-4 and 11 minutes of 5 from season 6, and they ripped it and put it in torrents, they did the same thing with the latest season of the wire, i saw the whole season before the 2nd episode aired.
Are you insane, parka_boy? If Fox successfuly sued YouTube, it woudl set a legal precedent that would close down MySpace, YouTube, and any other site that allows user-uploaded content. They'd be too scared someone would upload copyrighted material while they weren't looking.
I think Youtube should be the one to be sued not the person who uploaded the shows, as it is Youtube who are making all the money from the "illegal" uploads.
in response to comment before this one: fox is not suing youtube. they just want youtube to tell them who uploaded them so they can sue the person who uploaded them.
No one can control the internet, but Fox can control the people who have access to the unaired episodes. Fox is trying to blame YouTube for their mistake and what is worse they want money from the innocent victim YouTube. I doubt that Fox will prevail on their suit and when it is dismissed, YouTube will be going after Fox for attorney fees they paid out defending themselves, and I suspect the people at Fox who suggested the law suit will be looking for new jobs.
djariya hit the nail on the head - I think the first four eps got leaked on the net due to people that got their hands on advanced copies - either way, whoever put those online will feel the wrath of the law, as it was noted prior that they did break some serious copyright laws. Those FBI warnings at the start of every DVD and VHS video is not a suggestion, or just a joke, they are serious.
Agree with vicky24c. I can't pay to download cos I'm living in Asia. Takes ages for some shows to be shown if at all.
Why would people do such of things when they know ther are type of laws, rules, and regs to protect these large companies and businesses?!?!?!? The government is going to do what they can to keep those businesses running!
ECOtotal /salutes

Viva la revolution. They got the episodes from bittorrent sites. /salutes.

Screw the 15mins in ads.. more like 20mins. I don't want to know how to get in debt, what I can't afford, what should dictate my life.

Piracy will never end, why fight it.
I'd pretend to give a damn, but hey, it's only Fox, so...
How in the world did someone get the episodes before they aired? I mean I have heard of getting recordings of TV shows after they air but to get them before they air one would have to have access or know someone with access to the media containing the episodes at the studio.
Poor Billion Dollar Corp .... Boo Hoo

Fox Worldwide made 6 Billion dollars in the first quarter of 2006 they have 3700 employees worldwide it says it bold as brass on there website "News Corp" and cordell01 if you are worried about the average joe working at Fox why don't they share some of them profits with there workers. Was bored so did a bit imaginary maths. Not sure what average wages are in america I got a figure of the net at $15 a hour. So I went for a good wage of $30 dollars an hour and timed that by 40 hours a week and timed that by 12 weeks and timed that by how many workers they got and got a figure of £53,280,000 and took that away from 16 billion and ended up with £15,946,720,000. I know it's imaginary and nothing to do with the real world but it's a figure and it seems heavy on one side don't you think. If I was really bored I could of added money towards new tv shows films and new technolgies etc etc and come out with a huge one sided figure urmmm I wonder where it goes *Cough* Directors *Cough*

Yet with all that profits they still go after the little guys. Ain't Capitalism Great.

Anyway thats my grumble for the day :)
well i will love to see what happens with this story
Fox actually losses viewership if they don't take action. They already put 24 up on their website (www.myspace.com/fox). Furthermore, unless FOX authorizes You Tube to put it up, then it is Copyright violations, and how on earth did someone get a full episode up before it even aired? This has to be a company exec, in which case FOX has every right to fire the person.
Some people (like me) Sometimes have to watch them on youtube as they arent shown in my country and if they are we are years behind. Such as Law and order: SVU We just finished season 4 whilst USA is airin season 8!

I can understand that some people want to watch them on youtube. If u search MOST tv shows on youtube their on there. This can often help keep the show alove in other countries!
Jack should interrogate the you tube user LMFAO Jack: Why did you put those episodes on you tube

youtubeUser: I dont know i just..

Jack: DAMNIT! Why did you put those episodes on youtube!
If someone wants to sit there watching poor quality video of their favourite shows then all they are doing is cheating themselves out of the chance to enjoy the content properly.

That said, advert revenue is falling and always will since more and more time shifting services are coming around the world, these cut out adverts.

Having a show like 24 around the internet only serves to make it more popular and the executives can see additional markets for shows before they try to sell them to additional territories. It can only be a good thing for the shows that they are watched by many millions of people.
NooHoo. There is a bucn of stuff that is on YouTube and GoogleVideo that shouldnt be up there. Loook at all those Red Vs. Blue episodes that only sponsors are supposed to see, but that now everyonce can, making the $10 sponsorship useless. I hate fox anyways. The only good things are the Sunday night lineup
you should be able to upload what you want cause really if you dont have the channel you should be able to watch it on the net. Mostly every one use's P2P programs bit torrent cause u can see almost anthing when u download them off there. i think u should be able to upload them on youtube cause you can download there videos unless u go to the video downloader site.
The thing that bothers me is the YouTube actually gave into the supeona from Paramount Pictures and gave them the persons name.
I think their more angry with episodes before shown on tv are on there, plus that poor guy who uploaded them prob was only trying to help, and he wern't making any money out of it
The studios argue that uploading episodes is damaging because they lose advertising revenue from programmes. This is proper gander and false. Sales from TV based advertising are falling anyway. Not because of the Internet, but because of technology to skip adverts. I have a Sky Plus box in the UK. I can watch a programme whilst it us being recorded. I know that there are 15 minutes of adverts in an episode of 24 (or whatever programme). I start recording it from the start and watch start watching it 20 minutes in to the show. I then fast forward through all the adverts. I do not watch adverts, nor do most people. Fox et all are using the Internet as an excuse to falling advertising revenue, where as in reality it is hard drive boxes that are the main cause
It would be unwise to target Youtube.com for any wrongdoing. The real culprit who uploaded the stuff should however be banned, and Youtube.com should take action on the person. FOX should be warned that any unfair legal action themselves will costs them dearly in terms of reputability.
FOX is stupid to think that if they get the name of the YouTube user they'll find the person who leaked the episodes to the internet. This person probably found the episodes on one of the various P2P sharing websites, downloaded them, watched them and then decided to share them on YouTube. He/She is probably an average computer user who download Movies and TV shows (like the other millions of people in the world) and decides to be cool and share them with other average users just like him/her who goes to YouTube to watch TV shows or clips. I saw these 24 episodes on the net and in my group weeks ago and was surprised but since I don't watch 24 anymore they didn't interest me.
Glad to see they're taking action on piracy.
I would never use You Tube to watch TV shows. Jack Bauer should be able to take care of this in 24 hours.
YouTube isn't getting sued, at least not yet. It's just a subpoena. Fox wants the information on the person who uploaded the episodes. Once the person is found he/she will be arrested and computer taken away. I assume from there the authorities will find out where the person originally downloaded the episode and properly that site will be held accountable.

YouTube will give the information FOX requests. They have other more important things to deal with than this like their many other lawsuits they have against them.

I personally think Google should dissolve YouTube and integrate it to their Google Video site. It just nothing but bad press for them now.
If YouTube refuse to co-operate with this subpoena, maybe Fox should send Jack Bauer round. If he cant get the information out of them, no-one can. ;o)
Fox wanted to cash in on this season of 24 by having the dvd of the first 4 episodes ready for sale the day after they aired, i can't believe fox were that dumb to think that someone would get a hold of this and put it on the net before the episodes aired.

its your own fault fox
It's harsh for Youtube to get sued, it's not their fault that some people posted things before they were on TV, but I have to wonder how the people who uploaded them got their hands on them in the first place.
I agree with Fox although they shouldn't stop with suing YouTube. They also need to sue the place where the YouTube user get the uploaded episodes in the first place.
I agree with Fox. Heck, "Bootleg TV..." It's just as bad as Bootleg Movies.
pwned
I keep seeing comments about the 'rich people at FOX' being mean.

There are literally hundreds of people who are employed by a TV production who are be affected by the loss of profits as are their familes.

There are everyone from the lighting and gaffing technications, the script coordinators, catering people, janitors, production assistants, stunt people. Many of these people are making average wages and can lose precious health benefits if the show is finacially damaged and they can't immediately find another job to replace the one they lost.
i understand where they are comming from perhapps they can strike a deal where youtube can put it on when it airs on tv and fox getts a persentage of proceds
Fox Friends ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!