Forums: Off-Topic: 12-12-2012 the end?

coolchris44

[1]Feb 8, 2008
    • level: 22
    the end of the world is supposidlily coming on 12-12-2012 because on that the palnets will be totaly aligned and that will spell diaster for us all.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Genetic_Code

[2]Feb 8, 2008
    • level: 14
    Sure, I'll remember this on December 13th. On the bright side, I won't have to pay off my college loans.

HelloStuart

[3]Feb 8, 2008
    • level: 63
    Do you really, truly believe that? That's foolhardy.

ATragicOffense

[4]Feb 8, 2008
    • level: 10

Actually it's December 21st 2012, not the 12th. And it's not because the planets will be aligned. It's because the Mayan Long Calendar has been extremely accurate about planet alignments and such things for the past thousand years. And it predicts that this world will end and the next will begin on 12-21-2012. I don't personally believe in it. But I think it's really interesting.

Apologies if we're reffering to two different things.

Edited on 02/08/2008 8:19am

EJamison

[5]Feb 8, 2008
    • level: 17
    I'm not sure if I understand this correctly, but this is the way I look at it. The Mayan long calendar is X days long. I haven't looked into what X is but lets say it's 2 million days. So the date stated is 2 million days after the beginning of the calendar.

Here's the thing. The beginning day of the calendar was nothing really special. It could have been a month or week earlier or a month or week later. OK, there was probably some reason the Mayan's picked the day on which their calendar started, but it probably wasn't all that special. It's like Christmas. Everyone knows that Jesus wasn't born in December.

GATZ1000

[6]Feb 8, 2008
    • level: 39
    Seems like every year of so we get the end of the world scare with the scare of 1999 and then people saying that the world is comming to an end in 2006 then 07, and now 2012. When it happens it will happen but I doubt anyone knows for sure when its going to end or how its going to end. Who knows tomorrow might be the end?

LittleMsMarvel

[7]Feb 8, 2008
    • level: 9
    I'll feel sad on the 12/12/12 because that will be the last year in our lifetimes that you will have the same number day, month and year. Like this year, 08/08/08. I like those days, I have a mini party in my head those days - whoo!

coolchris44

[8]Feb 8, 2008
    • level: 22
    ATragicOffense wrote:

Actually it's December 21st 2012, not the 12th. And it's not because the planets will be aligned. It's because the Mayan Long Calendar has been extremely accurate about planet alignments and such things for the past thousand years. And it predicts that this world will end and the next will begin on 12-21-2012. I don't personally believe in it. But I think it's really interesting.

Apologies if we're reffering to two different things.

nopew thats what i was getting at.

21GunSalute

[9]Feb 8, 2008
    • level: 4
    lol Same thing was said in 1999,"2000 the world will end". No, no one knows when the world will end.

ktfahel

[10]Feb 8, 2008
    • level: 16

LittleMsMarvel wrote:
    I'll feel sad on the 12/12/12 because that will be the last year in our lifetimes that you will have the same number day, month and year. Like this year, 08/08/08. I like those days, I have a mini party in my head those days - whoo!

I remember hearing about a baby that was born at 7:07 on 7/7/77; he was 7 lbs., 7 oz.

I also remember all of the hullaballoo re: Y2K. People were buying up bottled water, dried foods, etc. Since my husband and I were homeless at the time, I remember getting a huge chuckle out of it and being outraged at the same time. Could these people be serious? Aren't there more important things to worry about? We also went with a friend who was a computer guy who had to go to his place of work to check all the computers on 1/1/00, to make sure everything was OK.

BTW, you can look foward to 2/2/22 after 12/12/12. Not exact, but close.

ATragicOffense

[11]Feb 8, 2008
    • level: 10

EJamison wrote:
    I'm not sure if I understand this correctly, but this is the way I look at it. The Mayan long calendar is X days long. I haven't looked into what X is but lets say it's 2 million days. So the date stated is 2 million days after the beginning of the calendar. Here's the thing. The beginning day of the calendar was nothing really special. It could have been a month or week earlier or a month or week later. OK, there was probably some reason the Mayan's picked the day on which their calendar started, but it probably wasn't all that special. It's like Christmas. Everyone knows that Jesus wasn't born in December.

Well the story goes that each Earth only lasts so long. So they calculated how long this Earth had been around (The start date is 0.0.0.0.0) and so they knew when Doomsday was going to be. Because each Earth only lasts so long and whatnot. So the world ends on the same day every time. Which is 13.0.0.0.0 or December 21st 2012 on our calendar.

You can look on Wikipedia for more info. Most of what I said was from memory so sorry if any of it was inaccurate.

Edited on 02/08/2008 2:35pm

EJamison

[12]Feb 8, 2008
    ATragicOffense wrote:
    The start date is 0.0.0.0.0)
    So, according to wiki, that date is 11 August 3114 BCE. We know the Earth existed prior to that, so it will continue to exist after 13.0.0.0.0. It simply like an odometer that has no 13. So it goes back to zero. It doesn't mean the car will explode.

The only thing you have to worry about is if your computer time is based on the Mayan calendar. It's like Y2K for it. The world will be OK as long as you update any Mayan software you have to allow it to go above 12.

Darkknight313

[13]Feb 8, 2008
    • level: 28
    This is not true it will start ending next year cause an evil will come.

Lion4Life

[14]Feb 8, 2008
    • level: 30

lequericacalvo

[15]Feb 8, 2008
    • level: 32
    Genetic_Code wrote:
    Sure, I'll remember this on December 13th. On the bright side, I won't have to pay off my college loans.

Same here

Angelwomyn

[17]Feb 8, 2008
    • level: 65

Various people have predicted the end of the world many times before, and it obviously hasn't happened. We shouldn't get too alarmist.

insomniac360

[18]Feb 8, 2008
    • level: 21
    The end of the world will be bound to happen in around 5 billion years, when the Sun turns into a supernova and its planets burn in the aftermath.

EJamison

[19]Feb 8, 2008
    insomniac360 wrote:
    The end of the world will be bound to happen in around 5 billion years, when the Sun turns into a supernova and its planets burn in the aftermath.
    The Earth may be here that long but I don't think humans will make it.

soundsofsilence

[20]Feb 8, 2008
    • level: 23
    "Don't Panic" - Douglas Adams