Forums: Off-Topic: Are there any great comedy teams anymore?

archangelwho

[1]Jan 10, 2011
    • level: 18

Like Abbott & Costello or the Three Stooges. I can't think of any. If not why do you think that is? Ego?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

taper6

[2]Jan 15, 2011
    • level: 7

archangelwho wrote:

Like Abbott & Costello or the Three Stooges. I can't think of any. If not why do you think that is? Ego?

Slapstick does have its place. But top comedy now is a bit more intellectual, thank God. And the good ones don't have the hated laugh tracks.

archangelwho

[3]Jan 15, 2011

taper6 wrote:

archangelwho wrote:

Slapstick does have its place. But top comedy now is a bit more intellectual, thank God. And the good ones don't have the hated laugh tracks.

?????????!! More intellectual?????!!

taper6

[4]Jan 16, 2011

archangelwho wrote:

taper6 wrote:

archangelwho wrote:

By 'more intellectual' I meant you don't need somebody getting hit over the head or a pie thrown in his face. Or a laugh track to tell you when you are supposed to laugh. If that isn't 'more intellectual' please tell me the correct term.

archangelwho

[5]Jan 16, 2011

[QUOTE="taper6"]

archangelwho wrote:

taper6 wrote:

archangelwho wrote:

By 'more intellectual' I meant you don't need somebody getting hit over the head or a pie thrown in his face. Or a laugh track to tell you when you are supposed to laugh. If that isn't 'more intellectual' please tell me the correct term.

First almost every show use a laugh track and/or a front person to tell people when and how to laugh. 2nd every show today is the same, with the same jokes that need sex and/or profanity to get a laugh. There is no thinking required today. As for slapstick it is still there but rather than a pie in the face it is an insult to the heart.3rd why to you need slapstick for a comedy team to work?

Parsec54

[6]Jan 18, 2011
    • level: 20

No, there aren't anymore good comedy "teams" anymore. It's also a matter of opinion as far as whether or not the three stooges could be considered "Great". Personally, I never liked them. I thought the Marx Brothers were a lot better. Abbot and Costello were definitely good. Unfortunately, as to why there aren't, I think it's simply because the writers have gotten lazy. Dick Van Dyke and Mary Tyler Moore proved you didn't have to be vulgar to be funny. Talent like that is just not found today. I'm sorry but most of what passes for "comedy" today is just not funny, as far as I'm concerned. On the contrary, most of it is mean-spirited and hurtful in some way, to someone. All you have to do is look at the host of the Golden Globes to see what I'm saying perfectly exemplified. It's not funny, and I for one, miss the days of "clean" REAL comedy.

taper6

[7]Jan 18, 2011

Parsec54 wrote:

No, there aren't anymore good comedy "teams" anymore. It's also a matter of opinion as far as whether or not the three stooges could be considered "Great". Personally, I never liked them. I thought the Marx Brothers were a lot better. Abbot and Costello were definitely good. Unfortunately, as to why there aren't, I think it's simply because the writers have gotten lazy. Dick Van Dyke and Mary Tyler Moore proved you didn't have to be vulgar to be funny. Talent like that is just not found today. I'm sorry but most of what passes for "comedy" today is just not funny, as far as I'm concerned. On the contrary, most of it is mean-spirited and hurtful in some way, to someone. All you have to do is look at the host of the Golden Globes to see what I'm saying perfectly exemplified. It's not funny, and I for one, miss the days of "clean" REAL comedy.

I can't believe you can find fault with 30 Rock, my favorite. Sexual content, by itself, is NOT funny. That's like 8th grade boys telling each other dirty jokes, cause it's so exciting and 'forbidden'. But when used cleverly, with an element of surprise, it certainly IS funny.

archangelwho

[8]Jan 18, 2011

taper6 wrote:

Parsec54 wrote:

I can't believe you can find fault with 30 Rock, my favorite. Sexual content, by itself, is NOT funny. That's like 8th grade boys telling each other dirty jokes, cause it's so exciting and 'forbidden'. But when used cleverly, with an element of surprise, it certainly IS funny.

Parsec54I'll give you the Marx Brothers as better than the Three Stooges but I still feel the Three Stooges are with the great ones. I also agree withyour view of what pass as comedy today.

taper6As for as 30 Rock I don't see how it got past the first show. Speaking of great ones Newhart is on NCIS today.

taper6

[9]Jan 19, 2011

archangelwho, I guess we've just got different funny bones. I've noticed this before with my local friends, I remember when 2 or 3 were raving about 'My Greek Wedding' and I found it very dull. Also, for some reason, almost all stand-up comics turn me right off.

archangelwho

[10]Jan 21, 2011

taper6 wrote:

archangelwho, I guess we've just got different funny bones. I've noticed this before with my local friends, I remember when 2 or 3 were raving about 'My Greek Wedding' and I found it very dull. Also, for some reason, almost all stand-up comics turn me right off.

I feel your laugh. There a part of my wife family who will have these DVDs of "The funnest movie/tv show ever for us to watch. Some are so dull I can not even work up a false laugh. I try to get away before they ask me about it.

mermayd

[11]Mar 24, 2011
    • level: 19
    Depends what you mean. I like the Axis of Awesome from Aussie land very much. But they don't fall over for laughs. Frankly that's a bit dull and funnier on home video shows anyway because it's generally real.

also youtube has probably led to the death of pratfall comedy. Real thing trumps everything else.

LKPRINCESS

[12]Mar 25, 2011
    • level: 4
    i love the Three Stooges