Forums: Off-Topic: male facial hair

taper6

[1]Jan 21, 2011
    • level: 7

I'd like to share another of my pet peeves (I have so many!). Young actors nowadays are fond of wearing carefully groomed 3-4 day old beards in their roles. I guess it is supposed to show the wearer's virility. The 'carefully groomed' part is mostly what bugs me. Either have a beard or don't, is my view. Ok, I admit to some jealousy. I'm 76, and never did have a luxurious beard. One winter I did grow one that I was rather vain about. I was in my 30s and it grew nice and dark, almost black. When warm weather came I shaved it, leaving the mustache which I couldn't seem to part with. Next winter the beard came in gray on my chin and was, I thought, embarrassing. It quickly came right back off. That old 'stash remains to this day, more salt than pepper now.

I'd like to hear other tv viewers opinions on these modern 'fake' beards. I thought of making this a poll-type thread, but I'd rather hear a paragraph or so from tv.com participants, both male and female, on what they think.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

HelloStuart

[2]Jan 21, 2011
    • level: 63
    What grinds my gears is how the color of your affects how your beard looks. If you're a brunet, people say you look rugged and handsome. If you're blond, people ask how you got ringworm.

taper6

[3]Jan 22, 2011
    • level: 7

HelloStuart wrote:
    What grinds my gears is how the color of your affects how your beard looks. If you're a brunet, people say you look rugged and handsome. If you're blond, people ask how you got ringworm.

I recently read Kirk Douglas's autobiography The Ragman's Son, un-ghosted. One of the few autobiographys I ever enjoyed. In it he recounts that, while having an intimate moment with one of his many liaisons, she complimented him on shaving his armpits for Spartacus, it looked so sexy. He hadn't shaved (he's blond) and the remark kind of drenched his enthusiasm with cold water.

Edited on 01/22/2011 7:13am

Elizabeth_I

[4]Apr 18, 2011
    • level: 2

I just love modern beards, they look good, but I like only dark ones)