Forums: Off-Topic: should famous people get away with serious crimes because they are famous?

 
  • Avatar of larry_davis

    larry_davis

    [1]Jan 26, 2006
    • member since: 09/13/05
    • level: 4
    • rank: Thighmaster
    • posts: 2,100
    it seems like everytime a famous person gets busted they always get away with it, especially if it's a serious crime, not like getting a dui or domestic violence.
    there's o.j., snoop dog, robert blake, michael jackson, lillo brancato, pete townshend and so on. how do they get away with it i wonder?
    what do you think?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of ZugZug4

    ZugZug4

    [2]Jan 26, 2006
    • member since: 01/02/05
    • level: 34
    • rank: Wardrobe Malfunction
    • posts: 17,229
    No way. You do the crime, you do the time.

    BTW, what did Pete do?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of CalicoCatz

    CalicoCatz

    [3]Jan 26, 2006
    • member since: 09/12/05
    • level: 14
    • rank: Autobot
    • posts: 3,085
    ZugZug4 wrote:
    No way. You do the crime, you do the time.

    I completely agree! Celebreties are so over-rated anyway. I'd love to see them get into trouble at least once!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Kudoshido

    Kudoshido

    [4]Jan 26, 2006
    • member since: 05/15/03
    • level: 19
    • rank: Fall Guy
    • posts: 3,035
    ZugZug4 wrote:
    No way. You do the crime, you do the time.

    BTW, what did Pete do?


    Child pornography possession, but was cleared IIRC.

    Anyway, **** no, they shouldn't get away with anything.
    Edited on 01/26/2006 6:42pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of ozziefan

    ozziefan

    [5]Jan 26, 2006
    • member since: 09/26/05
    • level: 30
    • rank: Anchorman
    • posts: 2,861
    [This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
    Edited on 01/26/2006 6:50pm
    Edited 2 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Humblah

    Humblah

    [6]Jan 26, 2006
    • member since: 06/16/05
    • level: 14
    • rank: Autobot
    • posts: 4,176
    No, they shouldn't but given that they have a lot of money to do bribing with...well...what can we do about it if they have corrupt officials?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of larry_davis

    larry_davis

    [7]Jan 26, 2006
    • member since: 09/13/05
    • level: 4
    • rank: Thighmaster
    • posts: 2,100
    Kudoshido wrote:
    ZugZug4 wrote:
    No way. You do the crime, you do the time.

    BTW, what did Pete do?


    Child pornography possession, but was cleared IIRC.

    Anyway, **** no, they shouldn't get away with anything.


    true story. he had a bunch of child p.orn downloaded onto his computer. he claims he was doing research on it, because he's against it. yeah right.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of GreenDay24

    GreenDay24

    [8]Jan 26, 2006
    • member since: 11/17/05
    • level: 27
    • rank: Shark Jumper
    • posts: 1,229
    CalicoCatz wrote:
    ZugZug4 wrote:
    No way. You do the crime, you do the time.

    I completely agree! Celebreties are so over-rated anyway. I'd love to see them get into trouble at least once!
    I agree too!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of DoctorShade

    DoctorShade

    [9]Jan 26, 2006
    • member since: 04/23/05
    • level: 28
    • rank: Disco Stu
    • posts: 2,097
    Only the cool famous people should get away with crimes not the creepy ones like MJ. Yes, I'm Kidding. Seriously though, it doesn't matter if your famous or your poor everyone should get equal punishment, in fact I think that some white collar crimes that result in people losing millions of dollars should be punished more severly than an armed robbery because in robbery only like 500 dollars are stolen but in white collar crimes millions of dollars are stolen. Like Martha Stewart she should have gotten more punishsment.
    Edited on 01/26/2006 7:33pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of ariesorion

    ariesorion

    [10]Jan 26, 2006
    • member since: 01/23/06
    • level: 3
    • rank: Soup Nazi
    • posts: 8
    No. They should be held accountable for the crimes they commit. Just because one is a celebrity does not mean they should just get a "slap on the wrist". It sets the example that when you are famous you can get away with anything.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of kurby123

    kurby123

    [11]Jan 26, 2006
    • member since: 12/19/05
    • level: 19
    • rank: Fall Guy
    • posts: 2,545
    Not murder.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of cutiebunny

    cutiebunny

    [12]Jan 26, 2006
    • member since: 11/03/05
    • level: 5
    • rank: Caveman Lawyer
    • posts: 719
    Well, there's the idealistic version where I would go on and say how, regardless of social status, money, race, gender, etc., that every American citizen should be entitled to a fair trial in the United States.

    However, the reality is that, for long as this nation has been in existence, that those who have political connections or money can generally buy themselves out of any horrendous situation.

    Do I think it's fair - no. But the reality of this country is that freedom does not exist for all.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of KarenHlly

    KarenHlly

    [13]Jan 26, 2006
    • member since: 06/10/05
    • level: 27
    • rank: Shark Jumper
    • posts: 563
    DoctorShade wrote:
    Only the cool famous people should get away with crimes not the creepy ones like MJ. Yes, I'm Kidding. Seriously though, it doesn't matter if your famous or your poor everyone should get equal punishment, in fact I think that some white collar crimes that result in people losing millions of dollars should be punished more severly than an armed robbery because in robbery only like 500 dollars are stolen but in white collar crimes millions of dollars are stolen. Like Martha Stewart she should have gotten more punishsment.


    I respectfully disagree with that, Doctor, and I'll tell you why. I've stood behind the counter of a convenience store at night, fearing that a robber would come in. A woman I work with lost her brother-in-law to a robber who wasn't happy with just getting the money, he had to kill him as well. My best friend from my Navy days lost her 18-year-old son to someone who wasn't happy with just getting the money. (The creep who did that is now on death row.) NOBODY should have to go to work with a constant fear of someone coming in with a gun. Florida used to have a mandatory 25 year prison sentence for use of a gun. I think anyone who uses a weapon in any crime should get life, no parole, no questions. (And that's in addition to what he/she would get for the robbery/murder/whatever.)

    I think your point is that people who steal less might be stealing just to survive, but if they need rent or food money they can get jobs behind those counters at convenience stores or fast food restaurants and earn a living like the rest of us. Being hungry is no excuse for waving a gun in someone's face.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of whoa_chica

    whoa_chica

    [14]Jan 26, 2006
    • member since: 12/13/05
    • level: 27
    • rank: Shark Jumper
    • posts: 4,592
    No I don't think that they should. But it doesn't anger me that they do. I just wish I had enough money to be able to do whatever I wanted!
    I would drive drunk all the time! J/k
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of KarenHlly

    KarenHlly

    [15]Jan 26, 2006
    • member since: 06/10/05
    • level: 27
    • rank: Shark Jumper
    • posts: 563
    larry_davis wrote:
    it seems like everytime a famous person gets busted they always get away with it, especially if it's a serious crime, not like getting a dui or domestic violence.
    there's o.j., snoop dog, robert blake, michael jackson, lillo brancato, pete townshend and so on. how do they get away with it i wonder?
    what do you think?


    I feel certain that most of the people who get to a trial nowadays get off because the jury is star-struck or see their role on the jury as a way of getting their 15 minutes of fame. Roman Polanski flees the country to avoid prison time and he gets a standing ovation for winning an Oscar.

    We're a celebrity-crazed society. More people know (or care) who George Clooney is than know (or care) who Ben Bernanke is, even though Bernanke has far more influence on our day-to-day lives.

    (If you don't know, Ben Bernanke is the man picked to replace Alan Greenspan as Fed chairman -- the guy who decides how much interest we pay on our debt and how much banks pay us on our savings.)
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of revedamour

    revedamour

    [16]Jan 26, 2006
    • member since: 12/07/05
    • level: 5
    • rank: Caveman Lawyer
    • posts: 911
    KarenHlly wrote:
    DoctorShade wrote:
    Only the cool famous people should get away with crimes not the creepy ones like MJ. Yes, I'm Kidding. Seriously though, it doesn't matter if your famous or your poor everyone should get equal punishment, in fact I think that some white collar crimes that result in people losing millions of dollars should be punished more severly than an armed robbery because in robbery only like 500 dollars are stolen but in white collar crimes millions of dollars are stolen. Like Martha Stewart she should have gotten more punishsment.


    I respectfully disagree with that, Doctor, and I'll tell you why. I've stood behind the counter of a convenience store at night, fearing that a robber would come in. A woman I work with lost her brother-in-law to a robber who wasn't happy with just getting the money, he had to kill him as well. My best friend from my Navy days lost her 18-year-old son to someone who wasn't happy with just getting the money. (The creep who did that is now on death row.) NOBODY should have to go to work with a constant fear of someone coming in with a gun. Florida used to have a mandatory 25 year prison sentence for use of a gun. I think anyone who uses a weapon in any crime should get life, no parole, no questions. (And that's in addition to what he/she would get for the robbery/murder/whatever.)

    I think your point is that people who steal less might be stealing just to survive, but if they need rent or food money they can get jobs behind those counters at convenience stores or fast food restaurants and earn a living like the rest of us. Being hungry is no excuse for waving a gun in someone's face.


    Nobody needs to steal in America to survive. If people can't get jobs, they can get charity like public assistance, the Salvation Army, etc.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of DoctorShade

    DoctorShade

    [17]Jan 26, 2006
    • member since: 04/23/05
    • level: 28
    • rank: Disco Stu
    • posts: 2,097
    KarenHlly wrote:
    DoctorShade wrote:
    Only the cool famous people should get away with crimes not the creepy ones like MJ. Yes, I'm Kidding. Seriously though, it doesn't matter if your famous or your poor everyone should get equal punishment, in fact I think that some white collar crimes that result in people losing millions of dollars should be punished more severly than an armed robbery because in robbery only like 500 dollars are stolen but in white collar crimes millions of dollars are stolen. Like Martha Stewart she should have gotten more punishsment.


    I respectfully disagree with that, Doctor, and I'll tell you why. I've stood behind the counter of a convenience store at night, fearing that a robber would come in. A woman I work with lost her brother-in-law to a robber who wasn't happy with just getting the money, he had to kill him as well. My best friend from my Navy days lost her 18-year-old son to someone who wasn't happy with just getting the money. (The creep who did that is now on death row.) NOBODY should have to go to work with a constant fear of someone coming in with a gun. Florida used to have a mandatory 25 year prison sentence for use of a gun. I think anyone who uses a weapon in any crime should get life, no parole, no questions. (And that's in addition to what he/she would get for the robbery/murder/whatever.)

    I think your point is that people who steal less might be stealing just to survive, but if they need rent or food money they can get jobs behind those counters at convenience stores or fast food restaurants and earn a living like the rest of us. Being hungry is no excuse for waving a gun in someone's face.


    Well, let me just clarify, I am not a real Doctor, my user name is DoctorShade because I want to be one when I grow up.

    My heart goes out to any victims of robbery who actually got hurt. In my original statement I was refering to armed robbers who steal money but do not shoot. Armed robbers still face 25 years (max) in prison, but Martha Stewart only had 6 months in prison and 6 months of probation.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Killswitch127

    Killswitch127

    [18]Jan 26, 2006
    • member since: 08/22/05
    • level: 1
    • rank: Weatherman
    • posts: 4
    NO NO NO!!!!!! WHAT ABOUT THE INOCCENT MAN THATS BEEN LOCKED AWAY FOR 25 FINALLY GETTING OUT OF JAIL FOR NOT COMMITTING HIS CRIME. LIKE MARTHA SHE SHOULD'VE GOTTEN MORE... MAN IF I WAS TO DO WHAT SHE DID I'D PROBABLY GET 25 TO 30. WTF I HATE FAMOUS PEOPLE! BUT WHAT I CAN'T WAIT FOR IS THE GUY THAT SHOT THE NYC COP TO GO TO JAIL. IF HE DOES GET OFF WITH A LIGHT SENTENCE THEN YOU WILL KNOW THAT, YOU DO HAVE TO BE FAMOUS TO GET AWAY WITH MURDER!!!!!!!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of jusjon17

    jusjon17

    [19]Jan 27, 2006
    • member since: 11/12/05
    • level: 7
    • rank: Talk Show Host
    • posts: 2,141
    Hell no!They should be treated just like everone els.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of xTRINH

    xTRINH

    [20]Jan 27, 2006
    • member since: 06/14/05
    • level: 49
    • rank: Snufflupugus
    • posts: 4,344
    no. they shouldnt get special treatment.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.