TV.com will be making some changes to our user base starting Feb 25, 2015. For more information click here

Forums: Off-Topic: What is the best place to buy TV Series?

thefitz227

[1]Jun 2, 2007
    • level: 2
    I want to know a good place where I can buy tv series online that's cheap.  I'm getting into tv series these days and I'm mostly a sci-fi fan of stargate SG-1 having 8 seasons of it and Atlantis at the moment.  However I'm slowly running out on cash since each season costs about $40 cad or more.  Any suggestions of where to buy dvd's is appreciated and I live in vancouver, bc.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

bigcitygirl5

[3]Jun 3, 2007
    • level: 31
    ebay is really good. Iv gotten brand new dvds on there for way below the retail price.

dashboard_fan

[5]Jun 3, 2007
    • level: 15
    DvdBoxOffice is an online store based in Canada. Not sure how their prices compare to other places you've bought from in the past, but they could be worth checking out.

123home123

[6]Jun 3, 2007
    • level: 55
    You can also get legal downloads of entire seasons from iTunes and Amazon Unbox Videos. iTunes has a wider selection but neither service has complete season line-ups for all of the listed shows. Amazon Unbox has slightly better video quality, at least in my personal experience.

It can sometimes be cheaper to buy these downloads than regular DVDs but not always. Of course, you are generally limited to watching the videos on your computer, but you may be able to connect your computer to your TV if you have the right video card connectors and cables. Amazon Unbox downloads include a smaller video file that you can transfer to a portable video player. (Check the Amazon site for compatibility with specific models. Not all video players may be supported.)

Some of the TV shows have season passes that might be cheaper than buying all the episodes individually.

Invader_Zim_72

[7]Jun 3, 2007
    • level: 17
    I usually check on ebay first, but if I can't find it there for a good price I usually just get it off of Blockbuster.com.

Angus_Mac

[8]Jun 3, 2007
    • level: 71
    Most of the retail stores seem to have deals every so often. Best Buy and Fry's have lots of boxset sales. Costco's also a decent place to get the more current boxset seasons.

LB80

[9]Jun 3, 2007
    • level: 65

Play.com/Playusa

Good prices, good range, and a fast and almost perfectly reliable delivery sytem .

yvonnekarate

[10]Jun 3, 2007
    • level: 10
    Ebay, Amazon, Play.com, Blahdvd, TheHut.com, HMV.co.uk, deepdiscount.com, betamonline.com and CDON.com.

Regards, Yvonne

thefitz227

[11]Jun 3, 2007

Whoa that's awesome. I'm going to check out all the websites suggested above a little later. I'm off to buy some SG-1 Season 9 and Battlestar Galactica Season 1 right now at bestbuy. They suddenly have a discount if on them and if there's any more websites, drop me a message. xD

ps.  Just found out it's sunday and bestbuy closes early  gonna try getting it tomorrow.  ^^

Edited on 06/03/2007 9:02pm

DragonFlyJones

[12]Jun 4, 2007
    • level: 5
    overstock. com

bouges13

[13]Jun 4, 2007
    • level: 19
    thefitz227 wrote:

Whoa that's awesome. I'm going to check out all the websites suggested above a little later. I'm off to buy some SG-1 Season 9 and Battlestar Galactica Season 1 right now at bestbuy. They suddenly have a discount if on them and if there's any more websites, drop me a message. xD

ps.  Just found out it's sunday and bestbuy closes early  gonna try getting it tomorrow.  ^^

Bestbuy is really good.. and besides, they'll price match anywhere. Checking the web is also good, but in my experience I find the best sales in the big retail stores, and at Amazon.com, and sometimes Overstock.com. I used to like ebay, but I lost trust with it when some idiots there were trying to run a scam (saying I bought stuff I didn't), and it dismayed me that they were able to get my email address...

supperkat

[14]Jun 6, 2007
    • level: 6
    And VirginMega Store has a lot of DVD for tv show you'll like. I buy from them all the time.
    Edited on 06/06/2007 9:09am

SMGslayer97

[15]Jun 6, 2007
    • level: 34
    I get all my shows on dvd from Amazon.com.

niptuckSean

[16]Jun 6, 2007
    • level: 13
    I always use Amazon.com, I also always check weekly ads for Circuit City and Best Buy of course. Once in a blue moon they have nice deals.

lequericacalvo

[17]Jun 12, 2007
    • level: 32
    thefitz227 wrote:
    I want to know a good place where I can buy tv series online that's cheap.  I'm getting into tv series these days and I'm mostly a sci-fi fan of stargate SG-1 having 8 seasons of it and Atlantis at the moment.  However I'm slowly running out on cash since each season costs about $40 cad or more.  Any suggestions of where to buy dvd's is appreciated and I live in vancouver, bc.

Between Wal-Mart and Fye.

thefitz227

[18]Jun 12, 2007

Yay! Just got Season 9 of SG-1 and Battlestar Galactica all seasons of it so far! I'm having a TV craze it seems. ^^ And I just realized that if I really look closely at the website around here you get to see some great deals around for sale like stargate sg-1 season 1-9 that's on sale for $132 US right now. Oh well I'll do better next time. I also checked all the websites listed above. It still looked a bit expensive to me but I know that I should wait for a big sale day before I try buying stuff again. Thanks a bunch!

P.S. While typing this message I just saw Season 10 of SG-1 out for sale! xD

Edited on 06/12/2007 6:43pm

maureen_johnson

[19]Jun 12, 2007
    • level: 16
    Best Buy is pretty good, from my experience. Sometimes they can be a little overpriced, but if they have a sale you should get a good deal.