Forums: Off-Topic: why are so many people so arrogant?

larry_davis

[1]Dec 2, 2008
    • level: 4
    i'm trying to figure out where it comes from. many of them are just average ordinary people or losers that are so stuck on themself like they were or are celebrities with their ego and the boldness and fearless attitude mixed with the snobby spiteful hateful edge attitude and only caring about themself like they are some sorta god. know what i mean?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

bouges13

[2]Dec 2, 2008
    • level: 19

My guess is that it is an extension of society becoming more and more selfish. I think there is a "me first" sort of mentality that is increasing at an alarming rate. Empathy is becoming a rare quality as many people seem to be so self-centered and unable to think of anyone but themselves.... and it shows so often in hundreds of different ways, arrogance being one those annoying ways.

taper6

[3]Dec 3, 2008
    • level: 7

larry_davis wrote:
    i'm trying to figure out where it comes from. many of them are just average ordinary people or losers that are so stuck on themself like they were or are celebrities with their ego and the boldness and fearless attitude mixed with the snobby spiteful hateful edge attitude and only caring about themself like they are some sorta god. know what i mean?

Examples?

EJamison

[4]Dec 3, 2008
    • level: 17

Human psychology is complicated. It comes from the complicated psychology. A team of psychologists can examine each of the people you are interested in. They may or may not come to a consensus about that individual. You'd also need people to analyze DNA to see if there is a pattern that differentiates those who are arrogant from those who are not. It may also have something to do with the stress the mother had at various times during the pregnancy. The food the mother was eating at certain times could also be relevant, affecting the chemical balance in the womb.

The simple answer is that because people *can* be arrogant then some people *will* be arrogant.

Edited on 12/03/2008 9:13am

vegetarian_jcer

[5]Dec 5, 2008
    • level: 11
    Because I'm better than all of you.

taper6

[6]Dec 6, 2008

vegetarian_jcer wrote:

But that only accounts for you, veggie, what about the rest of them?

Angelwomyn

[7]Dec 6, 2008
    • level: 65
    I'm not arrogant. Arrogance is a fault and I have no faults.

vegetarian_jcer

[8]Dec 6, 2008
    taper6 wrote:

vegetarian_jcer wrote:

But that only accounts for you, veggie, what about the rest of them?

They're all trying to compensate for the fact that they're not me.

Butterscotch3

[9]Dec 6, 2008
    • level: 6
    they're arrogant because they have a distorted image of reality, and how people perceive them.

Tweekfan323

[10]Dec 8, 2008
    • level: 42
    I know exactly what you mean about everybody being arrogant. One time I visited New York City.......nah I better not .

taper6

[11]Dec 8, 2008

Tweekfan323 wrote:
    I know exactly what you mean about everybody being arrogant. One time I visited New York City.......nah I better not .

Think you may be confusing rudeness with arrogance, Tweek. Maybe they're kind of related, but I think city rudeness is kind of a defense mechanism from being packed too tightly with your fellow man. That said, I never lived in NYC, but have lived in a couple other big burgs: Minneapolis, Denver, one summer in DC.

StewieZim101

[13]Dec 22, 2008
    • level: 16
    Because deep down, there is a little arrogance in all of us. Now, the question is, how much of it is there and how often does it aooear?

lrigD

[14]Dec 24, 2008
    • level: 8
    How do you even know someone IS arrogant? I mean, I see a distinction between acting arrogant and being arrogant. And I know that many people act arrogant simply to hide their insecurity. In adolescense, anyway...

vegetarian_jcer

[15]Dec 24, 2008
    lrigD wrote:
    How do you even know someone IS arrogant? I mean, I see a distinction between acting arrogant and being arrogant. And I know that many people act arrogant simply to hide their insecurity. In adolescense, anyway...

... Yeah, I'm not seein' the difference, here. I mean, if you're an actor and you play an arrogant person, then you're "acting arrogant" I guess. But you're either arrogant or your not. And all adolescents are just plain arrogant. Period.

usedtobefangle

[16]Dec 25, 2008
    • level: 10
    All people are equal but some are more equal than others!!

Woolsey

[17]Dec 26, 2008
    • level: 51

usedtobefangle wrote:
    All people are equal but some are more equal than others!!

And nobody's perfect, but some are closer than others! (I felt that the expansion was required.)

raygoshay

[18]Dec 26, 2008
    • level: 15

I think the reasoning behind arrogance is simple: It is a bonus in life.

It's behavioral not genetic. Levels of assertiveness and confidence can vary immensely. Behavior which was usually beneficial in early man has not altered all that much despite advances in society since mere survival-ism. Boast you're a great hunter or lover and enough people will believe you, you don't have to convince everyone. What intensifies matters is the fact many people seem hardwired into being drawn to arrogant persons, hence attention and acceptance is given often beyond justification. Why do so many people repeatedly seek out mates they have to "fix" (often against advice from others), typically to end up in relationships they later regret? "Bad boys" and "Trouble" girls are seldom lonely for lack of attention. The same circumstances occur in sports, business, the arts etc. Cocky people are given chances and rewards quieter people miss out on. - from chorus line parts to title bouts to salesmen jobs. Because enough people follow assertive confident individuals over a lifetime (not in every situation) it becomes an obvious advantage in interactions (all kinds - from selling a car to finding a mate). Since it works, confident people generally feel they deserve whatever level of success they've attained - to the point they usually assume they have more respect and success due to them. For example: You've won so many games, you're "destined" to win the championship.

It is felt that confidence equates competence, therefore super self-assurance... Since so many facets of human activity are affected by this assumption, it becomes obvious the evident advantages of being arrogant can outweigh the negatives. Note the opening post stating "like they were or are celebrities" - clearly showing society basically expects and most often accepts arrogance in famous people. It's felt winners are justified in strutting - but not ordinary people or losers. The mistake is forgetting arrogance is hardly evolved from winning, it is more an attitude which is a component of the drive to succeed. Arrogance is no automatic barrier but rather an asset (or an occasional hindrance) in attaining fame, riches, sexual attention - and yes even happiness. We can hate seeing it, but too selectively so. Just as not all successful people are arrogant, not all arrogant people are successful.

Edited on 12/29/2008 6:51pm
    Edited 12 total times.