Andrew McCarthy

Andrew McCarthy Fan Reviews (2)

• empty

Andrew McCarthy was at his peak in the 1980s in such movies as "Pretty in Pink" and "St. Elmo's Fire." But, after that, he hasn't had much of a career. That aside, the man pulled off his roles with such "coolness."
  • Whether courting Molly Ringwald in the 80s or being creepy as hell in "Law and Order SVU," Andrew McCarthy is incredibly versatile.

I initially fell for Andrew McCarthy when he had the guts to ignore James Spader in "Pretty in Pink." I was a teenager then and always hoped I would find a guy in my life that had the strength of conviction that he had. I realize it was the character doing this, but he really made me think the character was just an extension of himself. Fast forward 15 years and imagine my shock and horror when he turns out to be a control freak and a sexual deviant on "Law and Order SVU!" Once again, I completely believed that the person was the character - there was no hint of that adorable conflicted sweetness any more. I think the hallmark of a great actor/actress is when they can make you completely forget that they were ever any other character (to be sure, sometimes this is impossible, given the nature of the character - Leonard Nimoy will always be Spock in my mind), or that there is no line between the actor/actress and the character. Andrew McCarthy completely did that for me.