In 2000, Angelina won an Academy Award for Best Actress in a Supporting Role playing Lisa Rowe on Girl, Interrupted.
Angelina has been nominated for 3 SAG awards. In 1999 she won for Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a TV Movie or Miniseries for Gia. In 2000 she won Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Supporting Role for Girl, Interrupted. In 2008 she was nominated for Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Leading Role for A Mighty Heart.
Angelina was nominated for two Emmy awards in 1998. She was nominated for Outstanding Lead Actress in a Miniseries or Movie for Gia. She was also nominated for Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Miniseries or Movie for George Wallace.
Angelina is one of the first actresses to win 3 consecutive Golden Globes in 3 different categories: "Best Supporting Actress in a Mini Series": George Wallace (1997) (TV), "Best Actress in a TV Movie or Mini Series": Gia (1998) (TV), "Best Supporting Actress in a Motion Picture": Girl, Interrupted (1999). Coincidentally, all these roles were based on real people.
Angelina made her film debut in 1982's Lookin' to Get Out, which was written by and starred her father Jon Voight.
In 2004, Angelina was made an honorary citizen of Cambodia by the Prime Minister of Cambodia because of her social work there.
Angelina has been a Goodwill Ambassador for the United Nations High Commission for Refugees since 2001, She has worked with field staff and met with refugees in over 20 countries. In 2003, she published Notes from My Travels, a collection of journal entries chronicling her early work with the U.N. In 2003, Angelina became the first person to be honored with the Citizen of the World Award from the UN's Correspondents' Association for her work as a goodwill ambassador.
In the year 2003, Angelina appeared in print ads for Tissot watches. She has also appeared in TV commercials for Jeep, Kraft Macaroni & Cheese Deluxe and Animal Planet.
- Ranked as #1 in AIM's "100 Hottest Brunettes"
- voted as the #9 fantasy girlfriend in a poll conducted by AskMen.com for the 'Top 99 Most Desirable Women of 2007'. The website asked voters to consider qualities including sex appeal and beauty, and intelligence, humor, charisma and ambition.
- chosen as one of People Magazine's annual '100 Most Beautiful People in the World'
- ranked #12 in Maxim's 'Hot 100 List'
- named Cosmopolitan magazine's 'Ultimate Woman Who Made Us Care'
- tied with Jennifer Aniston for #35 on Forbes 'Top 100 Celebrities' list
- ranked #1 in E! Television's 2006 '101 Sexiest Celebrity Bodies' list
- ranked #3 on Entertainment Tonight's 'Hot List of 2006'
- voted the #1 star most men would like to kiss under the mistletoe, in a poll for Sky Movies
- named #7 on Maxim magazine's 'Hot 100 of 2005' list
- voted as #6 on the 'Top 100 Sexiest Women' in FHM.
- named Esquire Magazine's 'Sexiest Woman Alive'
- ranked #6 in Stuff magazine's '102 Sexiest Women in the World' list
- ranked #87 in Premiere's 2002 annual 'Power 100' list
- ranked #2 on 'Mr. Blackwell's Worst Dress List'
- Angelina is of Czech and American descent on her father's side and French and Haudenosaunee (Iroquian Indian) heritage on her mother's side.
- Angelina's mother was actress, Marcheline Bertrand who passed away from ovarian cancer in Los Angeles after a 7 1/2 year battle (January 27, 2007). Her father is actor, Jon Voight.
- Angelina is the sister of James Haven.
- Angelina is the goddaughter of actress Jacqueline Bisset and actor Maximilian Schell.
- Angelina is the niece of Chip Taylor.
- Angelina was married to actor Jonny Lee Miller from 1995 until 1999.
- Angelina was married to actor and director Billy Bob Thornton from May 5, 2000 until May 27, 2003.
- Angelina's adopted son, Maddox Chivan Thornton Jolie, was born on August 5, 2001. Angelina adopted him when she was married to Billy Bob Thornton.
- In July 2002, Angelina confirmed her break up with actor Billy Bob Thornton.
- Angelina's adopted daughter, Zahara Marley Jolie, was born on January 8, 2005.
- Angelina's children, Maddox and Zahara, share Brad Pitt's surname, after he legally adopted them in 2005.
- Angelina and Brad's daughter, Shiloh Nouvel Jolie-Pitt, was born on May 27, 2006, at the small Cattage Medi-Clinic in Swakopmund, a coastal town in the African nation of Namib by C-section. Shiloh weighed 7 lbs when she was born. Shiloh (Shi`lo) means; 1. The biblical place where Joshua brought the Ark of the Covenant. 2. "Peaceful one" or "his gift" in Hebrew. 3. A bloody 1862 civil war battle in Hardin County, Tennessee. 4. A 1971 Neil Diamond hit ("When no one else would come, Shilo, you always came...").
- On March 15, 2007, Angelina adopted another son, a three year old from Vietnam, Pax Thien Jolie (originally Pham Quang Sang) born on November 29, 2003, as a single parent to due Vietnam laws on unmarried couples on adopting children. After the adoption was finalized, his last name was legally changed to Jolie-Pitt. It has been said Angelina's late mother suggested the name, Pax, before she died.
- Angelina's and Brad's fraternal twins were born on July 12, 2008, a son, named Knox Léon Jolie-Pitt at, 6:27 p.m, weighing 5 lbs 3 oz and a daughter, Vivienne Marcheline Jolie-Pitt, at 6:28 p.m, weighing 5 lbs, exactly. The twins were born in Lenval Hospital in Nice, France, by C-section. Their names come from Angelina's and Brad's family trees. Knox was Brad's maternal grandfather's middle name, (it also matches the "x" on Maddox's and Pax's first names), his middle name, Léon, comes from Angelina's great, great grandfather. Vivienne's name comes from her place of birth (French for Vivian and means "life" or "alive"), her middle name, Marcheline, for Angelina's late mother.
In September 2006, Brad and Ange were forced to quickly set up a charity when questions were asked about where $5.5 million they got for selling photos of Shiloh was, despite their promise the cash would go to charity. According to federal tax filings, they gave over $8 million for their foundation in 2006.
Angelina came under fire in October 2006 after being cast as Mariane Pearl, the mixed race wife of murdered US journalist Daniel Pearl in the movie A Mighty Heart. Make up artists darkened Angelina's skin for the role, causing outrage among anti-discrimination groups who believe a mixed-race actress should have been cast.
Angelina has a private pilot and Airbase single engine land civilian pilot's license.
Angelina went to elementary school at William O. Schaefer School in Tappan, New York. She later attended the same high school as singer Lenny Kravitz and actor Michael Klesic, graduating two years early at the age of 16. She then majored in film at New York University. Angelina also studied acting at the Lee Strasberg Theatre Institute from the age of 11, and began modelling at the age of 14.
Angelina is of Czech and American descent on her father's side, and French and Haudenosaunee (Iroquian Native) heritage on her mother's side.
"Introducing Angelina Jolie" in the opening credits of Love Is All There Is (1996) suggests a delayed release, as Ange already had at least two major screen roles by 1996.
Angelina was appointed Goodwill Ambassador for the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees in Geneva, Switzerland, after her visits to Sierra Leone, Tanzania and Pakistan. [27 August 2001]
Angelina's many tattoos include the Japanese sign for death, two pointy black American Indian symbols, a dragon, a large black cross, an 'H' on the inside of her wrist, the Tennesee Williams quote, "A prayer for the wild at heart, kept in cages," on her left forearm, the words "Lady Croft" on an arm and the Latin phrase "Quod me nutrit me destruit" ("What nourishes me also destroys me") across her stomach. She also has a tattoo of a blue window on her lower back, which she claims is because no matter where she is at any point in her life, she always finds herself looking out a window, wishing to be elsewhere. During the filming of the first Tomb Raider film, Angelina spent 2 hours a day in make-up to cover all the tattoos she has.
Angelina collects knives and has an interest in mortuary science.
Angelina has made a reservation to fly into space on Richard Branson's Virgin Galactic.
Angelina performed her own stunts in Tomb Raider and received cuts from the chandelier scene as a result.
Some of Angelina's favorites
- favorite animals are lizards and snakes
- favorite foods include McDonalds and Cheerios cereal
- favorite color is black
- favorite TV shows are King of the Hill and Animal Planet
- favorite author is Ayn Rand
- favorite Disney character is Dumbo.
Angelina was nominated for Worst Actress at the Razzie Awards for four straight years from 2002 to 2005, but each time was beaten by another of her fellow nominees. She has still yet to "win" an award.
Angelina consulted with real-life FBI profiler Robert Ressler for her role in Taking Lives. (2004)
Angelina is extremely close to and protective of her brother James Haven. He often accompanies her to awards shows, and she used his name, or at least his memory, as inspiration in the "Where's Jamie?!" scene in Girl, Interrupted (1999). The pair are so close, they had to publicly deny false rumors that they were having an incestuous love affair.
Angelina worked as a professional model in London, New York and Los Angeles, and has also appeared in music videos for such artists as Meatloaf, Antonello Venditti, Lenny Kravitz, Lemonheads and The Rolling Stones. In addition, she has acted in five student films for the USC School of Cinema, all directed by her brother, James Haven.
Angelina's height is 5' 8" (1.73 m). Her last name, Jolie, literally means "Beautiful" in French. Her nicknames are Angie, Catwoman, Ange and AJ.
Angelina: I love doing lesbian love scenes. Before I did my lesbian scenes in Gia, I talked to actresses who said love scenes are easier with another woman than a man. Bound's Gina Gershon and Jennifer Tilly said they'd lie there and discuss the sale at Barney's between takes.
Angelina: (revealing her children continually ask why she and Brad Pitt aren't married) Usually people fall in love and everything revolves around the ritual of marriage, children are an afterthought. We did everything backwards. But sooner or later it will be the kids who ask us to get married. You know, they see films and start asking questions. Such as, 'Why are Shrek and his love Fiona married and you're not?'
Angelina: (Asked if she was bisexual) Of course. If I fell in love with a woman tomorrow, would I feel that it's okay to want to kiss and touch her? If I fell in love with her? Absolutely! Yes!
Angelina: (revealing she never expected to fall for Brad Pitt) After my last divorce, I said I was absolutely going to marry somebody in another field, an aid worker or something. Then I met Brad, everything I wasn't looking for, but the best man, the best father I could possibly wish for, you know? Brad's passion for international affairs was actually one of the things that brought us together.
Angelina: When my mother passed, I realized that somebody who lives life with that kind of dedication to their family is the most noble. I was aware of it growing up. I admired her. And I loved her. But in her passing, she reminded me what matters, and what's most fun-to put yourself aside for these other little people you're raising.
Angelina: (on her biological daughter with Brad Pitt, Shiloh) She looks like Brad. It's funny because she's almost going to be the outcast in the family because she's blonde and blue-eyed. I felt so much more for Madd, Zahara and Pax because they were survivors. I'm torn because on one hand, it's mean to rank your kids in a magazine, and have your own kid come in dead last.
Angelina: You're young, you're drunk, you're in bed, you have knives; sh*t happens.
Angelina: I need more sex, okay? Before I die I want to taste everyone in the world.
Angelina: When other little girls wanted to be ballet dancers, I kind of wanted to be a vampire.
For more quotes please see the Quips & Quotes thread in the forum.