Clayton Moore





9/14/1914 , St Luke's Hospital, Chicago, IL



Birth Name

Jack Carlton Moore




Mr Moore's first connection to show business came with the 'Flying Behrs.' A local trapeze act. In 1934 they were booked at the Chicago World's Fair. Following their success at the world's fair. They decided to change their act and concentrate on the trampoline. Mr Moore landed wrong during a workout, injuring his knee. That accident forced him to look in other directions.
His first choice was modeling. In 1935 He went to New York and joined the John Robert Powers modeling agency. One of the most important agencies at that time. He was successful as a model. But he desired more than being featured in the Sears and Roebuck catalog.
It was in 1937 that He decided to try Hollywood. His dream was to find work acting as either a policeman or a cowboy. He first tried Columbia Pictures. But while reading for Mr Joe Rifkin, who later became his agent. He was told that he needed to go to dramatic school. After six months of study. He was given a second screen test. This time with better results. He was offered a stock contract at Warner Bros for $75.00 a week. His first bit part was in a movie titled 'When Were You Born?' [1938]. After six months of playing bit parts at Warner Bros. He signed another stock contract with Metro Goldwyn Meyer in 1939. While there He was noticed by a producer named Edward Small. He signed an exclusive contract with Mr Small at $250.00 a week. It was Mr Small who suggested that Mr Moore should change his name to 'Clayton.' He did a number of small parts for MGM. Then in 1942 He released his contract with Mr Small and signed with Republic Pictures to make movie serials. Also know as 'Cliffhangers.' He made his most famous serial, "The Perials of Nyoka" at Republic. He was surrounded by western stars like, Roy Rogers, Gene Autry, and John Wayne. Which kept him motivated. He learned most of the acting and stunt skills that would carry him through to his most famous role. He was doing well when he was called up for military service. His career was put on hold.
When Mr Moore was released from military duty at the end of World War II. He returned to Republic Pictures and continued to make serials for the studio. He made a large number of serials. Some of them good, others not so good. But eventually he would become known as, "The King of the Serials."
In 1949 his agent told him of a television show that a Mr George Trendle and Mr Fran Striker were going to produce. After landing an interview. Mr Moore went in and talked to

these gentlemen about getting the part. After a very long conversation. Mr Trendle finally looked Mr Moore directly in the eyes and asked,"Mr Moore, would you like the part of the Lone Ranger?" Mr Moore replied, "Mr Trendle, I am the Lone Ranger!" His dream had finally come to pass. He not only would he be playing a policeman. But a cowboy as well. He went on to star in 169 Lone Ranger episodes and two Lone Ranger movies. He loved the character so much. That he continued presenting himself as the Lone Ranger. It was in 1979 that Trendle got a court order against Moore's use of the character. He was planning a new Lone Ranger movie and he didn't want Moore representing the role. In 1980 Mr Moore filed a suit against Trendle to retain the mask. The battle went on until 1984 when Trendle gave up the fight and allowed Mr Moore to wear the mask. Which Moore did until his death in 1999.Prior to his death.Mr.Moore wrote and published his memiors:I Was That Masked Man!