Bichir was a recipient of the prestigious Ariel Award for Best Actor in Mexico and was also awarded a medal by the cultural commission in Mexico City for his contribution to and distinction in the arts.
Demian has been dividing his time between Los Angeles, California and Mexico City. (2008)
Bichir was invited to be a jury member for the LALIFF, Malaga, and Ibiza Film Festivals.
He considers his playing the role of Fidel Castro in Che to be his biggest acting challenge to date (2009).
Demian comes from an acting family. His father, Alejandro Bichir, is a theater director while his mom, Maricruz Najera, is an actress. His brothers Odiseo and Bruno are popular actors in Mexico.
Film, Video, and TV Movie Credits:
• Che: Part Two (2008) as Fidel Castro
• Che: Part One (2008) as Fidel Castro
• Enemigos íntimos (2008)
• Fuera del cielo/Beyond the Sky (2006) as Malboro
• American Visa (2005) as Professor Mario Alvarez
• Noche en Lima (2004)
• Hipnos (2004) as Miguel
• Heartbreak Hospital (2002) as Tonio
• Ciudades oscuras/Dark Cities (2002) as Mario
• Sin noticias de Dios/No News from God (2001) as Manny
• In the Time of the Butterflies (2001) (TV) as Manuel 'Manolo' Tavárez Justo
• La toma de la embajada (2000) as Rosemberg Pabón, 'Comandante Uno'
• El silencio del tiempo (2000)
• Cerebro (2000)
• Ave María (1999) as Daniel
• Luces de la noche/Night Trails (1998) as Eduardo joven
• Cruz (1998)
• Solo (1996) (as Damián Bechir) as Rio
• Cococobana (1996)
• Salón México (1996) as Insp. Casteléon
• Nadie hablará de nosotras cuando hayamos muerto/Nobody Will Speak of Us When We're Dead (1995) as Omar
• Cilantro y perejil/Recipes to Stay Together (1995) as Carlos Rodríguez
• Pruebas de amor/Test of Love (1994)
• Hasta morir/'Til Death (1994) as Mauricio
• Ya la hicimos (1994)
• La vida conyugal/Conjugal Life (1993) as Gaspar
• Miroslava (1993) as Ricardo
• Marea suave (1992)
• Rojo amanecer/Red Dawn (1989) as Jorge
• The Penitent (1988) as Roberto
• Carmen Vampira (1988)
• Hotel Colonial (1987) as Young Hotel Clerk
• Astucia (1986)
• Viaje al paraíso (1985) as Chuy
• Choices of the Heart (1983) (TV) as Armando
In 2009, Bichir, along with his Weeds castmates, received a Screen Actors Guild Award nomination in the category Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Comedy Series.
Prior to being cast as Esteban on Weeds, Demian has never seen an episode of the show. After he got the role, he finished watching the series "in one sitting".
When he was 14, Demian landed his first professional acting job in a Mexican telenovela.
In 2008, Bichir appeared in the two-person play By the Waters of Babylon by Robert Schenkkan. He played the role of a Cuban novelist, Arturo.
Bichir was once offered to be a Congress member for the left party in Mexico, but turned it down and chose to remain as a full-time actor.
One characteristic that Demian shares with his Weeds character Esteban is his passion for life.
The Mexico MTV Movie Awards named a special award category after Demian's family, El Mejor Bichir en Una Pelicula (The Best Bichir in a Movie). It was done only once, and Demian beat out his two brothers for the award.
Demian: Growing up in Mexico, my background's in theater and films. You start trying to expand as much as you can. That's how me and my brothers got to do a lot of films in other countries - Spain, Colombia, Bolivia.
Demian: (about his thoughts on playing Fidel Castro in a film) I came in thinking what a beautiful chance for any actor. What a blessing to play a character larger than life. And what a great responsibility and pressure it is, too.
Demian: One wants to think that--and this is really a stupid thought--that through your art or whatever you do as an actor you can actually affect someone else's lives and thoughts or whatever.
Demian: (on making the film "Che") I did a lot of research to play Castro; I read and watched and listened to whatever I could; I worked with a vocal coach; it was basically breakfast, lunch, and dinner for me. But I'm pleased. When I saw the film, I told my girlfriend that I didn't recognize me at all.
Demian: (on starting his own theater company) I have been in the business long enough to know what an intense amount of work it takes to operate a theater company. And I am already very busy.
Demian: I don't believe in bad and good, I believe we are all a mix of both. We have a demon, we have an angel inside, within our souls, and you just play with it, and sometimes the evil part of you wins the battle, in a very important decision, or in a bedtime, with your lover. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose.