Dennis Weaver

Dennis Weaver Fan Reviews (5)

• Limping his way to fame

Dennis Weaver is an excellent actor. There was Gunsmoke where he limped and hemmed and hawwed his goofy but lovable way through the scenes, he consistently emoted with the best of 'em. I enjoyed his performance in Duel, the movie with the crazy truck stalker. ( I still believe this movie was inspired by a Rockford Files episode, or vice versa.)
    Why did Chester limp? Perhaps it was a Freudian reference to Matt's inability to exhibit sexual interest in Kitty. Thus the straight and stiff leg of his comic sidekick.(LIMP-get it?)Or maybe he fell in a hole.
    Another thing I like about Dennis Weaver is that, to my knowledge, he never denigrated his role as Chester on Gunsmoke. ( I'll never forget Jethro when asked by Johnny Carson on the Tonight show what he thought of that classic role. He replied "how would you like to get hit over the head with a frying pan every week?" I would have liked to have whacked him with one then!)Ironic that he was then a Hollywood PRODUCER, a role he played hilariously on the Beverly Hillbillies.