Eric Kripke

Forums: Eric Kripke Board: What's Your Favorite Urban Legend?

sciencegeek51

[1]Jan 30, 2008
    • level: 8

I will freely admit to being almost totally ignorant of Urban Legends...

I read tons of mythology from ancient Egypt, Mesopotamia, Greece and Rome... but had no knowledge of anything like Bloody Mary or Hookman.

Pecos Bill and Paul Bunyan were what I knew about. The Geek was a dork.... lol

So what Urban Legends are your favorites and what do you hope to eventually see done on the show.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

MydeanURdean

[2]Jan 30, 2008
    • level: 19
    Well don't worry about not knowing Urban Legands because I don't know much either. The only ones that I kinda knew about was La Llorona and Bloody Mary. I also don't know anything about mythology.

ToxicAngel503

[3]Jan 30, 2008
    • level: 26
    SG, you didn't know who Bloody Mary is??? I've played that game since I was in pigtails. My favorite urban legend is probably The Vanishing Hitchhiker. Oh and I remember learning about La Llorona in 4th grade. It's creepy, about a mother in mexico who had an affair and was in love with this rich guy but because she had 2 kids he didn't want her. So, she drowned her kids. After that, she was so sad that she drowned herself too. Now they say if you're in mexico at night around the area it happened, if you listen you can hear her crying for her 2 kids. Creepy

Lizard971

[4]Jan 30, 2008
    • level: 21
    Guys... I'm with SG here...
    Ask me about Egyptian Gods and Mythology... Greek Legends... Medieval Stories I can hold it... but Urban Legends
    Saw the Candyman movie totally creeped me out... A young kid should NEVER watch that movie alone at night... nope... NEVER.
    May have heard about the Women in White, but it doesn't mean that I knew the story behind...

There, now I feel like I'm a lousy fan, not interested in the material on which the show relies Thanks...
    Guess I'll have to stick to Black Magic

ToxicAngel503

[5]Jan 30, 2008
    Lizard971 wrote:
    Guys... I'm with SG here...
    Ask me about Egyptian Gods and Mythology... Greek Legends... Medieval Stories I can hold it... but Urban Legends
    Saw the Candyman movie totally creeped me out... A young kid should NEVER watch that movie alone at night... nope... NEVER.
    May have heard about the Women in White, but it doesn't mean that I knew the story behind...

There, now I feel like I'm a lousy fan, not interested in the material on which the show relies Thanks...
    Guess I'll have to stick to Black Magic

My sister and I are really into urban legends and stuff. Well hey, one that we all know by now is the Robert Johnson legend (In CRB, the blues musician) So, that's interesting. I wonder if he really sold his soul to the devil.

sciencegeek51

[6]Jan 31, 2008

LOL...

I finally got the hubby to watch the dvds... and he resisted becaused he was bored by the urban legends ... reminded him too much of being a kid and hearing them around the campfire... and i was amazed that he knew them....

I knew about Robert Johnson because of my interest in folk music... and early blues is very much part of the american tradition of music.... and the really old ballads have a lot of supernatural references in them... so I kind of was familiar with that...

but I still am pretty ignorant about the whole genre..... unless it was covered in the horror movies of the 30s & 40s

;p

AudryCentennial

[7]Feb 17, 2008
    • level: 6
    There's a local legend in Toledo, I don't know if it originated here, about train tracks. Supposedly, there was someone who was killed by a train by stalling their car on the tracks. A lot of teens like to take their cars out and park them over the RR. (It's a track that hasn't been used by trains for a while now.) Anyway, whoever was killed is said to push the car off the tracks, trying to protect the people inside.

sciencegeek51

[8]Feb 17, 2008

AudryCentennial wrote:
    There's a local legend in Toledo, I don't know if it originated here, about train tracks. Supposedly, there was someone who was killed by a train by stalling their car on the tracks. A lot of teens like to take their cars out and park them over the RR. (It's a track that hasn't been used by trains for a while now.) Anyway, whoever was killed is said to push the car off the tracks, trying to protect the people inside.

And Kripke was born and raised in Toledo, Ohio.... but I haven't heard him mention that one...

he did talk about the Licked Hand.... yuck.... I haven't checked that one out yet...

AudryCentennial

[9]Feb 17, 2008
    • level: 6
    sciencegeek51 wrote:

AudryCentennial wrote:

And Kripke was born and raised in Toledo, Ohio.... but I haven't heard him mention that one...

he did talk about the Licked Hand.... yuck.... I haven't checked that one out yet...

Is that the one with hand sanitizers? I actually didn't hear that. i had to look it up. But yup. 13 abc, a local chanell, reported on it. weird.

ToxicAngel503

[10]Feb 27, 2008
    Here in Salem Oregon where I live, we have a few little legends. One is about a railroad track as well, where back in the day a schoolbus with a bunch of children was crossing it when they got hit by the train. *holds flashlight under chin* and now they say, if you go there at night, you can hear the children screaming. Me and my sis are gonna do that

Lizard971

[11]Mar 1, 2008
    • level: 21
    AudryCentennial wrote:

There was an episode of Mysterious Ways with that legend. Can't remember how they ended up explaining the phenomenon though... wow. that's why I'm such a good viewer, I can see the same thing multiple times and since I don't remember the ending, I still enjoy it !!!

BoogieBee

[12]Jun 24, 2009
    • level: 1
    My Favorite urban legend would be about the kids prank calling people and they end up calling a serial killer that begins to finish off their prank. I heard Dead Tone is a movie based on that legend but heard it was being banned.