George Carlin

George Carlin Fan Reviews (16)

• perfect

I've seen him in movies, like Dogma, and Jersey Girl, and thanks to a friend, I have seen some of his stand-up, and I can honestly say this guy is super hilarious. His routine on the 10 commandments, and on boy names… his routine on the stickers parents get for their 'honor roll' students. This guy was hilarious and it is truly sad he has passed away a while ago. I'm sure if he were still alive he would still be doing awesome stand up and entertaining crowds, either by performing stand up comedy or by doing movies. Awesome guy. 'Nuff said
  • Great comedian and Ex Thomas & Friends narrator.

My second favorite T&F narrator. Carlin is also a very funny comedian but some of his jokes are "Wraunchy" but great. George Carlin narrated Thomas and Friends from S 3-4 and re narrated Thomas Seasons one and two. He also played "Mr Conductor" on "Shining Time Station": One of my favorite shows as a kid. I wish he was still narrating today. He would of did better than some other narrators (Not Ringo Starr). I watched the "George Carlin show" a few times on the internet. Im still suprised that he narrated Thomas after his show. I grew up on listining on his narration and Ringo`s and I still think he did very well.

-DF8
  • Mr. Carlin's body of work will still be relevant to a new generation. A true testament to his talents.

George Carlin Class Clown-Class Act. When I was talking to Dave White on his radio show, Talking Television With Dave White, we discussed how I have written a large amount of obituaries lately. Sadly, once again I'm honoring a true pioneer who has left us way too soon and at a time when we still need him.

Donna and I were visiting my brother and my two nephews in Chicago. I wanted to get a picture or the Bob Newhart statue at Navy Pier (See Hi Bob). Over lunch at Bubba Gump's the older generation had to explain to the younger who Bob Newhart is. We stayed on the subject of comedy and comedians. The younger of the nephews (Alex age 16) is a big fan of political satire. We discussed his favorite comedians Jon Stewart, Stephen Colbert and Lewis Black. I was telling him about the comedians who inspired his favorites. Obviously the conversation could not go too far without mentioning George Carlin.

I told him that George Carlin is one of the greatest comedians in American history. I told him about George Carlin's comedy routine on the "Seven Dirty Words You Can Never Say on Television".

This routine appeared on his Class Clown album. George Carlin was arrested on July 21, 1972 at Milwaukee's Summerfest and charged with violating obscenity laws after performing this routine. The case was dismissed in December of that year; the judge declared that the language was indecent, but Carlin had the freedom to say it as long as he caused no disturbance. I told my nephew that the classic routine is an excellent example of the power of comedy. Radio station WBAI (a Pacifica Radio Station in New York City) played similar routine, "Filthy Words," from George Carlin's Occupation: Foole album over the air. The broadcast was then brought to the attention of the FCC. Pacifica received a citation from the FCC, which sought to fine Pacifica for allegedly violating FCC regulations which prohibited broadcasting "obscene" material. The U.S. Supreme Court upheld the FCC action, by a vote of 5 to 4, ruling that the routine was "indecent but not obscene," and the FCC had authority to prohibit such broadcasts during hours when children were likely to be among the audience. FCC v. Pacifica Foundation , 438 U.S. 726 (1978). The following morning I was shocked to learn that George Carlin had died. Before leaving Chicago I stopped by a Borders and bought the younger Figueroa a CD of George Carlin's Class Clown and Parental Advisory: Explicit Lyrics. Since then we have had a couple of conversations on George Carlin and he even bought a third CD. We talked about Carlin's influence on his favorite comedians, his love of words, his way of pointing out politicians and the news media manipulates the language to change their impact. I was so touched that my young nephew is now enjoying one of my favorite comedians.

Mr. Carlin's body of work will still be relevant to a new generation. A true testament to his talents. Whenever we loose someone of prominence there are those who will ask, "Why?" I think it is because the time has come for us to activate our own Inner-Carlin. We examine our vocabulary, analyze what we hear from our leaders, point out the absurdities in life and not settle for being main stream.

To quote George Carlin, "I think it's the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately".

Good Night Mr. Carlin and good luck.

Stay Tuned

Tony Figueroa
  • best comic ever.

George Carlin rest in peace was mu favorite comedian of all time. He had all different types of humor and thats what made him funny. I think he got better with age. I dont like his early stuff especially 70's ,80's were ok 90's and up were great.I think I have seen ever one of his shows but none live. His only problem is that he cussed a little to much i dont mind cussing at all but he could calm down a little bit. I didn't believe in everything that he said but ever comic is bound to offend you every once in a while.
  • One of our greatest comedians.

George Carlin took us where no other comedians could. His comedy was controversial, but he told the truth in his comedy. One of our greatest talents. One of my favorite issues he talks about is Saving the Planet. Pure geunius when it comes to his talents. George will be greatly missed. My thoughts and prayers are with his family. Right now God has one of our greatest comedians ever. May you Rest In Peace George. You will be greatly missed by everyone. This review written by cna97 a.k.a. Donna. Rest in Peace George May 12, 1937 - 6-22-2008.
  • He did great!

George Carlin did great! He narrated seasons 1-4 of "Thomas the Tank Engine" in the United States. I miss his narrating so much. I own most of the Thomas the Tank Engine movies and I hear his narrations from Seasons 1-4. He was the best narrator in Thomas the Tank Engine. The other narrators are cool too. The first movie that I watched and I heard his narration was "Thomas' Christmas Party". I also heard him from a Season 10 episode of "The Simpsons". He was so talented, he even has his own show! Now, need I really really say more?
  • The First American

Before Season Three of Thomas the Tank Engine aired in 1993, Ringo Starr quit his job as narrator. Many fans were shocked by this but two new narrators arrived: Micheal Angelis for the United Kingdom and George Carlin for America. While growing up, the videos of Season Three were American and so George was speaking to me through the tiny trains. Well known for his comedy, George Carlin did two seasons of Thomas and all four seasons for Shining Time Station. In my view, George was an alright narrator. I have seen all of his Season Three episodes and his narration is nice and he gave the engines different tones. I thought that Thomas' voice was pretty good and Percy's and James' matched them. However, compared to Micheal Angelis in Season Four, he wasn't that good. But after all these years, he is still the best at Season Three.
  • My very favorite comedian!

George Carlin is the best comedian on the planet in my humble opinion! I seen have Carlin live many times and he puts on a show that will have the audience rolling in the aisle with laughter every single time! Carlin has been around for a long time and there have been instances where he has taken film roles (Dogma comes to mind) that just were wrong for his hard bitten style, but he has never failed in a live show to live up to his considerable reputation for a sarcastic wit and urban style that bring down the house! His "Seven Words" routine that was banned for many years from the airways is a true classic in comedy history!
  • The legendary Carlin, spawned a genre of comedy, made the whole country laugh, and he still "hates" everything.

Everynoe always thinks of George Carlin as "Mr. Conductor" or the "TtTE Narrator". I did once as well. I watched Shining Time Station when I was a kid. Of course, I forgot about what Mr. Conductor looked like, but when I saw Carlin in a comedy act, I thought that I saw him before. When I found out the truth, it was a big shock to me. Sort of like a Full House fan hearing a Bob Saget joke. I grew to accept Carlin as a vulgar comedic atheist instead of a beloved miniature train conductor. I actually prefer him as that. So, as for Carlin himeslf, you should listen to him! His jokes are going to be offensive and strange. But, just grab on to that Mr. Conductor memory and you can enjoy him.
  • George should not only be remembered for his comedy, but for offering great things for Thomas The Tank Engine and Shining Time Station.

I really like George Carlin. He's simply a great comedian. Personally, he's one of my favorites. Not only is his comedy quite entertaining, but his work for Thomas and Shining Time Station is what I will remember him for. Considering that I grew up listening to many of his narrations of Thomas episodes, I simply loved him. He was simply one of the best narrators of the series ever. His voices for characters like Gordon, James, the Scottish Twins and Sir Topham Hatt are his trademark voices for the series. Also, I grew up watching many Shining Time Station episodes with him. He had some big shoes to fill in after Ringo left but he proved to be a good replacement for Mr. Conductor. All in all, he's simply brilliant.
  • My favorite narrator next to Ringo.

George Carlin is my other all-time favorite narrator for Thomas the Tank Engine and Friends besides Ringo Starr. George Carlin is just tight at narrating for that series. He should be brought back to narrate for the series and replace Michael Brandon because he is the lousiest narrator to ever narrate for that show. But anyways, George Carlin is awesome and will never be forgotten in my book.
  • The show's best narrator!

Who would have ever thought that such a controversal comedian would become the best narrator of Thomas & Friends? George Carlin really amazed me on that one. He first became the narrator in 1991, after replacing Ringo Starr. He is noted as Thomas' first American narrator. He narrated the third and fourth seasons of Thomas and renarrated seasons one and two. As for the narration itself, Carlin is truly the best of the best. He never forgot the character voices, so they remained the same. He is the only narrator to have done that. I cherish every single episode of Thomas narrated by him because it is a treasure.
  • My favorite Thomas the Tank Engine narrator.

Altough Ringo Starr was the orginal narrator, I have always liked Carlin better. He narrated the third and fourth seasons of the show, which I think was the golden age of Thomas, and also did a pretty good job of renarrating the first and second seasons. I remember watching him on Shining Time Station as Mr. Conductor when I was a child, and waiting for the Thomas story to come on during the show. After George Carlin stopped narrating Thomas the Tank Engine, the show went through five seasons with a couple of relatively weak narrators. And although I don't think it will happen, I wish he could come back and narrate another season or two. I think it would add another classic element to the show.
  • This man is so funny.

I almost can never stop laughing with his acts. When it's making fun of people who have what he calls half a hat. Or making fun of rednecks, George Carlin is one of the best comics to ever take the stage. I know he can't go on forever, but I wish that he could.
  • A good Thomas & Friends narrorator.

George Carlin narrorated Thomas & Friends for two full seasons. He did an excellent job too. I like how he did Smudger's vioce. What was funny was in the episode Toad Stands By, he stutters accidentally, & in Special Attraction, he accidentally hiccups during the episode. This guys gets a 10 for humor & good narrating.
  • A standup comedian with an astute command of the obvious, George Carlin has been making people laugh at everyday occurrences for almost thirty years.

On one of my Carlin favorites: Complaints and Grievances

Growing up on the upper west side of New York, Carlin has had plenty of opportunities to people-watch. He has taken his ability to view and analyze everyday events and point out the humor in them and turned it into one of the staples of his act.

Carlin's been getting more and more crusty in his old age, that is to say, less tolerant of hypocrisy and lies. As a New Yorker's New Yorker he does talk a little about "the elephant in the room," the WTC bombing, but his solution is pure Carlin comedy. Let's create a chemical warfare unit called F.A.R.T. and use deadly cheese-beer-cabbage farts to smoke Bin Laden out of his caves. After taking care of the elephant, he proceeds to take potshots at nearly every cute and cloying cliché in 2001 America: people with mobile phones, parents who trumpet their kids achievements on their bumpers, singers with one name, gun enthusiasts and guys named Todd. It's some of his most hilariously crude stuff ever.
    It's not his most political record but there are a few very subversive pieces. He speaks of how nice it would be if Governor Bush would get elected in 2004. He wonders what aliens would think of our planet's backward ways and rattles off a list of abuses most people would rather not talk about. He saves his best for last; a fantastic piece on the 10 Commandments. George shows the cut-through-the-bullshit mentality that he's rightfully famous for, reducing the ten ancient laws down to two that are meaningful in the 21st Century, plus one new one that Moses left out.
    Get it or the terrorists win. No, not Al Qaida, our own terrorists, the straight-laced guardians of public morality who can't tolerate dissent or simply take a joke.