TV.com will be making some changes to our user base starting Feb 25, 2015. For more information click here

Jack Bender

Forums: Jack Bender Board: What do you think of Jack Bender?

JoeLostDharma

[1]Dec 22, 2006
    • level: 28
    I think hes a good producer and Director.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

SydneyAlias1306

[2]Jan 6, 2007
    • level: 1

Personally...Jack Bender is one of most amazing directors and I usually am inĀ fond of his work especially on Alias and Lost. Honestly...I can tell that his directing is so much different than any other directors who worked around the show like Alias or Lost or possibly other shows. The reason I said that he is different because on the episodes that he directed...it always felt so much smooth as in trasition and fast-paced with some amazing camera shots even his style of camera shot is something that not many directors would have done. His vision is almost like how Stanley Kubrick or Alfonso Cuaron did with their movies. Sometimes, he would do some weird or odd camera movements but it turns out to be so good and very exciting to follow the story on a film or an episode.

Sure...he can have ups and downs on some of his work but his camera use of shot is something that I always look forward to and it's doesn't get me away from his work. I was glad that he was nominated as the best director for "Live Together, Die Alone" because he deserved it. Personally...the writing on that episode was not that great but the directing was so spectular and great even I would argue that it's his best work ever in his career.

I hope he stays around with Lost for rest of the series and would not leave until the series end because I know there are a lot of directors who sticked around with a show...they would leave around after 3rd or 4th season.

In his episode titled "Fire + Water", it would have been his worst episode on Lost but I enjoyed it because of his directing but I hated the writing. If the writing was so bad so why mark the episode so bad when he's directing it? His directing is what made up the episode to turn out to be somewhat exciting but nothing great. That's important than paying attention to the writing and story.

For past few years before Alias ended...I have been arguing with a lot of Alias fans about the director. They picked on Ken Olin as the best director behind J.J. Abrams. Actually, Jack Bender is a better director than Ken Olin because he usually direct fast-paced exciting and edge of your seat episodes epecially with his camera work.

I've been following Jack Bender's work since January 2003 after seeing "Phase One" from Alias. I was little bit intriqued that J.J. Abrams didn't direct the episode which he could have but it would have been interesting to see two versions of "Phase One", one with Jack Bender and the another with J.J. Abrams...or maybe Ken Olin. If it was done by Ken Olin...I would love to bash around to compare which one would be better to show the point.

I know Ken Olin is a good director but he lost his touch during 3rd season. That's why I liked Jack Bender's direction better.

Edited on 01/06/2007 11:24pm

JoeLostDharma

[3]Jan 14, 2007
    • level: 28
    Hey someone responded!

jtkode

[4]Feb 20, 2007
    • level: 25
    lol that was mad deep lol. and hey I responded too!

drumjod

[5]Mar 9, 2009
    • level: 1

You might have a good point (I suppose), SydneyAlias1306 when you said Jack Bender made unique choices with camera angles. However, I feel that it is the directors job to make sure that "bad writing" does not come through in the script.

I bought the first season of Lost this year, because it looked good from the advertisements and one friend told me it was addictive.

I was very dissapointed.

I endured through each episode. It's understandable that a TV Drama would exaggerate any plausible situation to make it entertaining. Unfortunately, Lost, was out of touch with reality. The characters actions were far from believable (though some of them were played by very adept actors).

Don't argue that the Island made them crazy.

The Asian Guy tried to kill the Iraqi by drowning him in the ocean in front of the entire cast of characters. Why? Because the Iraqi was wearing a watch that previously belonged to him... Almost every time a character gets angry, it is for a b.s. reason, and it is never justified.

When the audience is expected to believe in a situation based on unrealistic character actions, the audience is being insulted. The audience is you. You are not that dumb.