Jack Kirby

Jack Kirby Fan Reviews (2)

• Jack is the King of Comics!

Jack Kirby created or co-created Captain America, The Fantastic Four, Spider-Man, The Hulk, The X-Men, Iron Man, Daredevil, Thor, The Avengers, The Silver Surfer, The Fourth World Series, Romance Comics, and a host of other comics and characters.

The New York Times, in a Sunday op-ed piece written more than a decade after his death, said Kirby:
    ... created a new grammar of storytelling and a cinematic style of motion. Once-wooden characters cascaded from one frame to another - or even from page to page - threatening to fall right out of the book into the reader's lap. The force of punches thrown was visibly and explosively evident. Even at rest, a Kirby character pulsed with tension and energy in a way that makes movie versions of the same characters seem static by comparison.[81]

Michael Chabon, in his afterword to his Pulitzer Prize-winning novel The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay, a fictional account of two early comics pioneers, wrote, "I want to acknowledge the deep debt I owe in this and everything else I've ever written to the work of the late Jack Kirby, the King of Comics."