James Garner

James Garner Fan Reviews (7)

• empty

James Garner is great at playing the "scrounger" in the Great Escape. I think he should have kept playing more rugged roles in movies. I saw another movie starring him and Dorris Day. It was called the Thrill of it all. He just wasn't as good. He needs to play a tougher character to really show his true acting ability. But He stil isn't bad in other roles too.:)
  • The only complaint is that he doesn't work as much as he used to...get this guy back on TV!

James Garner is one of my favorite actors, and the star of one of my favorite shows ("The Rockford Files"). He's an effortless performer, a guy who looks incredibly natural on screen and always turns in a good performance. Of course, he's best known for his TV work, but his film work is always good too.

Maybe his success comes from the fact that he and his characters seem so relatable. Garner's men, whether they're Maverick or Rockford, are real people. He's not a he-man action star, but he's like a lot of us (or like a lot of us wish we'd be) - friendly, not the strongest or best looking guy but usually ready with a quip.

I'd recommend (to any Garner fans who haven't seen it) "Twilight." In it, he plays an ex-cop/PI who's involved in a case Paul Newman's character is investigating. Not only is it a great piece for James Garner, but it's a very well-made modern day "film noir" and mystery.
  • a true actor,the real deal

James Garner to me is one of those few actors that seem like great guys, like one of those guys that if you met you're really get along with him, the buddy, the friend, the guy everyone wanted to be around. It's just a quality that I see in him (Kevin Spacey has it too) and just make shim very likeable.

He always seems to be no strings attached, what you see is what you get, and what you see is an actor. An actor who loves to act, not for the money or the fame or the ladies but just to act; to perform for people and take on teh role of another character. It is for all these reasons that I love James Garner he's a true actor the real deal and an everyman all the same time. LOVE HIM!
  • empty

James Garner is a true actor. You really believe that he got into acting because he loves it for what it is. You'll never see him in any tabloids and you won't hear any gossip about him. In his roles, you sense more realism than many other actor's who are considered more talented than he. Of all of his roles in all of his movies, my favorite has to be "Barbarians at the Gate."
  • My male role model.

I've been a fan of James Garner the actor and James Garner the man since the original Maverick in 1957. I was 13 at the time.

As the years past, what started as a kid's crush turned into great admiration for this remarkable man. Not is he one of the finest actors of his - or any - generation, he is an inspiring role model. In all these years, he has never let me down. In fact, my respect has only grown.

Yes, I had a father, but he was worse than useless as a male role model, and James Garner gradually took over that part in my life. It makes me happy that he's finally getting the recognition as an actor that he's deserved all along. His kind of talent combined with his honesty, humility and integrity make him one of a kind.
  • Support your local sheriff

The first movies I saw was of a young James Garner in Support Your Local Sheriff and Support Your Local Gunfighter, those movies where hilious, The movie My Fellow Americans with Jack Lemmon was a classic, and even though he is older now he is still a great actor he proved that in 8 Simple Rules, I thought that show wouldn't do good after John Ritter died and even though it did get cancelled, James Garner, was still at his best and proved me wrong, the show was just as good.
  • Mr. Garner not only found success in the western Maverick, but also became a top notch movie star. The small boy in the story below became not only a western fan but considers "The Rockford Files" to be his favorite TV Show. Mr. Garner gets a 10.

0.0
    On a California Sunday while dining with friends, a small 10 year old boy was encouraged by his friend’s father to “take the opportunity and go meet the famous western star” also dining in the same restaurant. After some coaxing, the small boy went to the location where the famous cowboy star was supposed to be at. Upon entering the room he saw a handsome well dressed young man and said to him. I understand there’s a “famous western star eating in this restaurant today”. The man looked at the boy and asked if one of the parents had put him up to it? He replied yes, it was his friend’s father. Well said the man, do you ever watch Maverick? Once said the boy, with my cousin, but we have a hard time getting that channel. My cousin say’s the younger brother on that show is really good. Well said the man that’s good to hear. You need to get that channel and watch the show sometime. The boy left the room. Upon his return back to the parents table the boy was immediately asked by his friend’s father if he had met the famous western actor. No said the boy. Did you see anybody asked the friends father? Yes said the boy, as he pointed out the man who would later become known as Jim Rockford.