Jeremy Brett

Jeremy Brett Fan Reviews (4)

• He IS Sherlock Holmes!

There have been a few actors I've liked as Sherlock Holmes (James D'Arcy & Rupert Everett) just to name a couple, but they pale in comparison to Jeremy Brett. I watched the Sherlock Holmes series when I was a kid & later as an adult & he's the reason I love the Sherlock Holmes stories. I wish they still showed them here. Thankfully they're on DVD now & hopefully 1 day I'll be able to afford to get them. Hopefully I'll be able to afford to get the books too. It is sad he's gone cause there will never be another like him.
  • One of the best actors, and my personal favorite. You will always recognize his distinctive voice-the way he rolls his 'R's. He had Sherlock Holmes down to a science, and after you see him perform, you will always picture Mr. Brett as 'THE' Holmes.

I first saw Jeremy as Sherlock Holmes on a DVD of "The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes." He was totally manic, a ball of energy, egotistical and could go from abusing Watson one minute to not being able to be without him the next. Seeing him was the first time I ever found a Holmes that matched how he was written-as a trouble genius. Brilliant, but needy at the same time. Jeremy Brett had so many of his own demons to deal with, it leads many people to say that he was "channeling" Holmes' spirit.

My only criticism is that there are so few opportunities to see Jeremy, as many of his works are not released on tape or DVD yet. He is absolutely adorable as Freddy in "My Fair Lady" and for those who wish to see him in his prime, then try and locate a copy of "An Ideal Husband," a BBC play of the week from the early 80's, before Sherlock Holmes. His voice, and occasional over-the-top mannerisms (watch how he uses his hands) and especially his whip-fast grins make him such a special actor and so enjoyable to watch.
  • Absolute perfection in his portrayal of Sherlock Holmes.

Sherlock Holmes is one of the most played roles in history. Dozens of actors have done the role, some better than others. Mr. Brett not only captures the intensity of the character, but he looks very much like the mental picture one gets when reading the canon. I wish he could have finished all the stories, especially 'A Study in Scarlet', which has the classic beginning where he first meets Watson. That would have suited him completely and given this particular series a bit of background. A wonderfully precise actor, and we all miss him dearly. A tragic loss for television and audiences everywhere.
  • Elementary...

One of the best actors I've ever had the pleasure to watch perform. Although with a career filled with magnificent performances he will always be remembered as the greatest Sherlock Holmes to ever grace the screen. His portrayal of the legendary detective will forever stay as the "definite Holmes". The man became Sherlock Holmes. The scenes are real. It can actually be scary to see how deep Jeremy Brett went inside the mind and personality of the character. A true talent that gained himself a place in TV history. You'll never be forgotten. RIP