John Daly

Forums: John Daly Board: Uther1111 re: your inflamtory REVIEW about John Charles Daly

qtpi1969

[1]May 14, 2007
    • level: 5

Uther1111 re: your inflamtory remarks about John Charles Daly... "Are you a relative of John's? While nobody is perfect, adding a source or personal opinion would be greatly appreciated if you are defaming a person publicly. Just stating heresay from an outsider's point of view is not stating a fact. If you would care to share experiences with me, I will be glad to listen, but I have not heard anything about John's arrogance interfering with his love for his family." 

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Uther1111

[3]Jun 23, 2007
    • level: 3
    I can assure you that my comments are not hearsay. I knew John Daly VERY well, much better than I would have preferred. As for John's arrogance interfering with his love for his family...He had very little regard for his family or anyone else for that matter. He was given to merciless fits of rage and anger with little or no provocation. It is entirely possible that he suffered from an undiagnosed psychosis but that is no excuse for the brutality of his behavior. All I can say is he was not the man most people think he was.

billsav57

[4]Aug 20, 2007
    I've said many times on here that we make a mistake if we try to judge these people based on their WML appearances of 40 or 50 years ago. Of course Daly was trying to be witty and urbane on WML. He was getting, what, $10,000 a show in 1967? It's better to look beyond that. The record does show that Daly was disliked by more than one person. David Halberstam wrote that print reporters who covered the FDR White House didn't care for him -- especially the Chicago Tribune's guy. Mike Wallace himself wrote that he had no use for him. Daly's time at V of A was short-lived. He didn't work much in the 70s and 80s. Was that by design, or did nobody want to hire him anymore? These are the things we might never know. Watching him on TV from those days, I find him charming and interesting. I'd like to believe he was like that all the time. But I also have long had the feeling that if he and I were professional contemporaries, he probably wouldn't have given me the time of day because, quite frankly, he wouldn't have considered me (and most of us) in his educational, financial or social class.

buquick

[5]Feb 13, 2008
    • level: 1

I am quite a fan of WML. I do, upon occasion, get up at 3 AM to watch the reruns on GSN. Somehow I get John Daly was a difficult quantity to deal with. I see some of the facial expressions he would make in response to some of the good natured ribbing he would get from the affable Bennett Cerf, et al.

Sad really; here was a man with the gift of applied intellect, a published author, upscale career, working a job which I am sure many of the panelists enjoyed participation, and yet the man, seemingly, was severely lacking in interpersonal skills. Part of me pities the man. Begs the question - how can one with so much have nothing to give to others?? I am sure he did not want for money. He lived in very upscale neighborhoods - Rye, NY and Chevy Chase, MD (where he died).

I am a classic car enthusiast. I did happen upon an ad (I believe it was ebay) a 1956 Lincoln Continental Mark II, reportedly originally purchased by John Daly was on the block for $70,000. This car sold for upward of $10,000 in 1956 and only approximatedly 3000 were ever made. $10,000 in 1956 would have bought you 5 Chevrolets.

It appears none of his six children chose to write anything about him. One would think they would be proud of their father and want to share his legacy. Also, no one from the WML panel appears to have written anything about him either. His memoirs were not published (if he ever wrote them) This tells me he was not "popular" in writers' circles. One would think Random House Publications, (Bennett Cerf's publications), would have approached John Daly or vice versa for a book about the 17 years of WML

Oh well, John Charles Daly with all his gifts of talent, intellect, publications, career and money, was a poor man - may he rest in peace and his good works be remembered for the betterment of all who remain.

Olimpiada80

[6]Sep 21, 2008
    • level: 1
    As to the fact that John Daly was never mentioned by Arlene, Dorothy or Bennett... Read this and cry http://www.columbia.edu/cu/lweb/digital/collections/nny/cerfb/transcripts/cerfb_1_16_735.html. According to what Bennett Cerf said about John, Mr. Daly was may be not allways an easy going person, but he wasn't so bad either. I happen to like him! @Uther1111: I suggest therapy....

Uther1111

[7]Dec 7, 2008
    There's a sucker born every minute.