John Daly

John Daly Fan Reviews (3)

• An unflattering portrait of a twisted man.

If I may interject. The reason John Charles Daly\'s children haven\'t written a biography of him is probably because they have nothing nice to say about him. He was not a very nice person. The arrogance Daly was known for on TV was nothing compared to the arrogance he exhibited in his personal life. Yes, he was a private man and for good reason. I doubt the public would have appreciated the real John Charles Daly had they known the true nature of his character. While he could be charming and quite eloquent, his actual demeanor was cruel and unyeilding. Perhaps it\'s best that he not be remembered.
  • Sophisticated Panel Moderator. Honest Journalist. The best there ever was.

With class and an amazing vocabulary, John Daly carried the game show industry through its quiz scandals of the 1950s. Additionally, he upheld the integrity of journalism and broadcast news for both CBS and ABC. One of the rare exceptions in television where one can work at two competing networks: Daly hosted the most popular game show of his time, What's My Line? on Sundays on CBS and then ran the ABC Evening News during the week. There will never be anyone like him again. He utilized television the way it was supposed to be used - in a family-friendly, high-class, entertaining way.
  • Extraordinarily gifted of intellect and vocabulary. He may be the model of the game show host, but is so much more.

Wow... John was obviously the smartest game show host of all time, in my opinion. The way he navigated the touchy areas on WML was masterful. I can only imagine what a wonderful conversationalist he must have been.

While Mr. Cerf was far and away the most gifted of the panel members, he did not have some of the talent that Mr. Daly had to keep under wraps.

Not only smart, but very friendly, even when Mr. Cerf might serve up a stinger while introducing him. (Of course, he could volley them right back too)

He was every bit a part of the succefful formula that kept WML on the air for so many years. Would'nt it be nice to have people that smart back on the air again??