Leonard Nimoy

Leonard Nimoy Fan Reviews (8)

• ON HEARING OF THE PASSING OF LEONARD SIMON NIMOY

On hearing of the passing of Leonard Simon Nimoy(1931-2015) yesterday, I put together some of my writing about him to serve as a sort of quasi-eulogy. I have also integrated his life and my own since both he and I have had a keen interest in autobiography. Some readers may find this personal synchronicity annoying and for this I apologize before readers get going here with the following prose-poetic work. Readers who prefer short and pithy posts are simply advised to either skim or scan or stop reading Price, Australia

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Preamble 1:

Nimoy was an American actor, film director, poet, singer and photographer. He was known for his role as Spock in the original Star Trek series (196669), and his roles in multiple film, television and video-game sequels. I won't give you chapter and verse of his bio-data, beyond some general remarks below, because you can read about him in cyberspace, and you can even watch a eulogistic-video that went online in the first 24 hours after his passing.

Nimoy was born to Jewish immigrant parents in Boston, Massachusetts in the decade before my parents met in the late 1930s or very early 1940s. He began his career at the same stage in the life-span as I did, in his early twenties. He and I had quite different careers, his beginning in the 1950s and mine in the 1960s. At first he taught acting classes in Hollywood and made minor film and television appearances through the 1950s, as well as playing the title role in Kid Monk Baroni. Foreshadowing his fame as a semi-alien, he played Narab, one of three Martian invaders in the 1952 movie serial Zombies of the Stratosphere.

Preamble 2:

In the 1960s I began several PT jobs as I finished high school and went through university. Then in 1967, my first FT job was teaching Inuit children on Baffin Island. In the 1950s I was introduced to the Baha'i Faith which had been in Canada for a little more than half a century at the time, and had only several hundred believers in all of Canada when my mother joined in '53. Nimoy had a Jewish background the details of which you can read about on Wikipedia.

In 1965, Nimoy made his first appearance in the rejected Star Trek pilot The Cage, and went on to play the character of Mr. Spock until 1969 by which time I had left Baffin Island to return to the Golden Horseshoe. Star-Trek was followed by eight feature films and guest slots in the various spin-off series.

Preamble 3:

The character has had a significant cultural impact, and it had garnered Nimoy three Emmy Award nominations; TV Guide named Spock one of the 50 greatest TV characters. After the original Star Trekseries, Nimoy starred in Mission: Impossible for two seasons, hosted the documentary series In Search narrated Civilization IV, and made several well-received stage appearances. He also had a recurring role in the science fiction series Fringe.

Nimoy's fame as Spock was such that both of his autobiographies, I Am Not Spock (1975) and I Am Spock(1995), were written from the viewpoint of sharing his existence with the character. I had taken an interest in Nimoy because I, too, had developed an interest in autobiography by the time Nimoy had completed both volumes, and I was on my way to an early retirement, a sea-change to a small town by the sea in Tasmania, at the age of 55 after a 50 year student-and-paid-employment life, 1949 to Price, Pioneering Over Five Epochs, 28/2/'15.

STAR-TREK

Modern Man in Search of A Soul1

Section 1:

You can read about the documentary Star-Trek: The True Story, at the following link. This doco was originally televised on 5/1/'13 in the US on the Discovery Channel. Go to: . I will not give you, therefore, the details of this program that I watched last night,2 as the cocktail of anti-psychotic and anti-depressant medication for my bipolar I disorder began to take effect and produce its sleepy-euphoric state, and as I was enjoying my late-night snack

I have enjoyed many of the Star-Trek episodes over the years since its inception in 1966 when I was just beginning my teacher training to obtain a . from the University of Windsor to add to my three year . at McMaster University where I had been a student in a four-year honours sociology, history and philosophy course in Ontario Canada.1 -Ron Price with thanks to: 1 Carl Jung, 1933, and 2ABC TV,10:55 to 11:40 . 28 July 2013.

The Star Trek franchise created by Roddenberry has produced story material for five decades, all of my adult-life. It resulted in six television series consisting of 726 episodes, and twelve feature films. The popularity of the Star Trek universe and films inspired the parody, homage, and cult film Galaxy Quest in 1999 which was released as I was retiring from a 50 year student-working life: also inspired many books, video games and fan films set in the various "eras" of the Star Trek universe which readers can read about in detail at Wikipedia.

Section 2:

I watched many episodes of Star-Trek

back in the 1980s and 1990s while my

son was never became

the enthusiast both he and his mother,

my wife, were and still are, as this TV

series continues its life beyond its first

decades toward the century: 1966-2066.

I found it interesting, somewhat surprising,

to hear about Roddenbery's shortcomings

and failings as a human often

we know so little about the real person in if they run-the-gauntlet of the

TV interview. Perhaps that is why Freud biography can't be written".

Still, writers will keep trying to unearth the

inside story of some human being. And so

it is that biographies and autobiographies

will continue on their merry-way into the

future as we try to understand ourselves!!1

Leonard Nimoy is a good example of such

a writer who plumbed-the-depths of his self

in his two volumes of Spock-autobiography.

Section 3:

1 "A man like me," wrote Freud, "cannot live without a hobby-horse, a consuming passion," in Schiller's words---a Johann Christoph Friedrich von Schiller(1759-1805) was a German poet, philosopher, historian, and playwright. "I have found my tyrant," continued Freud,"and in his service I know no limits. My tyrant is psychology. It has always been my distant, beckoning goal and now it has come so much the Perhaps sci-fi was Roddenberry's 'tyrant'. I certainly know the tyrants in my life; indeed, there are several. I slowly became accustomed to them in the 1950s and 1960s: (i) before graduating from university in 1966/7 and (ii) before working within the Baha'i administrative Order in Canada's most southerly city, Windsor Ontario, in 1966/7.

1.1 "The life-work of Freud had been devoted to understanding as fully as possible the world of man's soul. To Freud psyche and soul were the same, conscious and unconscious mental life. Psychoanalysis is the science of the Fromm, The Art of Listening, Constable, London, 1994, p.75.

1.2 Dreams are the result of the activity of our own soul. -Sigmund Freud in Freud and Man's Soul, Bruno Bettleheim, . Knopf, NY, 1983, p.71. The goal of psychoanalysis is to integrate the emotional life and the intellectual life. idem. Your unconsciousness is your companion. Persona is a protection. In my case my dreams, at least since going on my present cocktail of medications, seem to be the result of the affects of my medications on my brain.

1.3 "I am actually not at all a man of science, not an observer, not an experimenter, not a thinker. I am by temperament nothing but a conquistador. A conquistador is an adventurer, if you want it translated, and in my case it is a conquistador with all the curiosity, daring, and tenacity characteristic of a man of this in a Letter to Wilhelm Fliess, Feb. 1, 1900. The Complete Letters of Sigmund Freud to Wilhelm Fliess 1887-1904 (1985).

1.4 "The voice of the intellect is a soft one, but it does not rest until it has gained a hearing. Ultimately, after endlessly repeated rebuffs, it succeeds. This is one of the few points in which it may be optimistic about the future of mankind, but in itself it signifies not a

Ron Price......29/7/'13 to 28/2/'15.

• Truly fascinating as Spock.

I would have never watched Star Trek - The Original Series if it wasn't for Leonard Nimoy. He brought so much charisma to the character of Spock that he made even the most boring episodes of Star Trek - TOS watchable. I've never seen any of his other shows because I cannot picture him as anyone other than the 'fascinating' Vulcan Spock. There will never be a Star Trek character that will be as awe inspiring as Spock. And it's all thanks to Leonard Nimoy. I can't imagine a Star Trek world without him and it was great to see him in the new Star Trek movie. Hope he's in the next one too. Live long and prosper.
  • Actor Best Known From Star Trek's Spock

I think Leonard Nimoy is a great actor.His Best Work Is definently Star Trek. (Live Long and Prosper) He Is Definintly My Favorite actor He is way Underestimated in My opinion And he should have been more Famouse. I think That he did a wonderful Job Portraying Spock from star Trek TOS and TAS.He did do a good Job in Misson impossible and other shows That he guest starred in. I _ T H I N K_ H E_ IS_T_H_E B_E ST A T O R I N S T A R T R E K!!!!!! nO AND IF'S OR BUTS ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !
  • The real star of "Star Trek." The hell with that noisy Kirk fellow.

Leonard Nimoy is the real class of "Star Trek." Unlike Kirk and the individual who played him, Nimoy as Spock didn't seem to have any arrogance to speak of. You knew that if Spock were in charge, he would never have gotten the crew into so much trouble. Nimoy is also the genius behind the original series "In Search Of." It predates the current fad for paranormal shows by decades. However, it also had a skeptical spirit that took you right to the locales of all these supposed phenomena-- and thoroughly examined the stories. Most similarly themed shows today are just out to exploit people who are afraid of ghosts. There are very few shows that try to raise the intelligence of the public. "In Search Of" did so every time. We have a lot for which to thank Nimoy.

I'm glad Nimoy is on tap for the next "Star Trek" movie. I couldn't imagine anyone else.
  • the sexiest alien in the universe!!!!

i only started watching star trek about a year ago but now i classify episodes based on spocks actions and storylines. I love him soooooo much that whenever he come onscreen i literally swoon. And i love leonard nimoy, he is sexy even without the ears, with his hansomeness and awsome intelligence, also he is an environmental activist, just like i aspire to be! and i understand what he was trying to do by distancing himself from the spock character but i am glad that he finally realised that he made spock to amazing, sexy and loveable to ever be forgotten, they will both always be a massive cultural icon to me!
  • Leonard Nimoy:In the words of the 1960's generation, "I grok Spock".

I have had a huge crush on Mr.Spock since I first saw the original Star Trek series in reruns as a young girl in the 1980's. Something about that stoic manner and super intelligence that makes Mr.Spock one very attractive alien. I began to do research on Leonard Nimoy and found that he had not embraced the character with the same enthusiasm as the other cast members and I was not surprised at all by this. Nimoy was, certainly more interested in a varied career, it would seem. He went straight to another series when Star Trek ended in 1969 (Paris on Mission Impossible) and even went so far as to write a book called "I Am Not Spock". However, in later years it would seem that Nimoy has had a change of heart and is more willing to make his peace with the character that he will always be remembered for. He even went reprised the character of Spock for an arc of episodes on Star Trek:The next generation. I am so glad as it was like seeeing an old friend return home. Thank you, Mr.Nomoy, for letting us see Spock that one last time. Bravo!
  • Capt. Spock rules.

Leonard Nimoy played one of the most famous extra terrestials on TV. Captain Spock is perhaps a lot more famous than E.T. Leonard Nimoy portrayed this smartly written character really well. It's perhaps one of the most original extra terrestial character ever written for TV and films. This character continue to amaze. Leonard's deep voice contributes a lot to the Captain Spock's mythological status. When he speaks in both English or Vulcan, that voice stirs emotions fixating us to listen to whatever wisdom the character possess. Leonard did a really good job portraying Spock, even though he played other characters in movies other than this Vulcan, but it's Spock that stands out the most.
  • Possibly the most beloved character in science fiction history ...

Leonard is definitely one in a million. Pop icon, activist, actor, photographer ... even with all of that on his plate he still loves his fans and treats them with the utmost respect. He's an all around nice guy, and will always be in the top five of my all time favourites list of entertainers.