Maura Tierney

Forums: Maura Tierney Board: How is Abby going to cope with Motherhood? (Spoiler free PLEASE!)

linseyt67

[1]Aug 23, 2006
    • level: 21

It is less than a month til the new season airs in the US. Given how Abby was left, lying on the ground in a pool of blood, I think we can safely assume that Abby is going to need attention from Dr Coburn, amongst others. I am remaining unspoiled, but cannot believe TPTB will kill off this offspring.

So how do you think she will cope with motherhood? There are lots of prior episodes which will make for interesting discussion. Let me direct you to S8 epi 11 as a prime example.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

GlassFrog

[2]Aug 23, 2006
    • level: 2
    Hmm, spoilerfree...that'll be difficult for me to join the discussion since I'm a spoiler whore. Great idea though.

One thing for sure is that I don't think we'll ever see Abby going all gaga over the baby. That's just not Abby.

linseyt67

[3]Aug 27, 2006
    Ok, as a Mum myself, and one who found it very tough first time around, perhaps I can raise a few thoughts...

1. It is a 24/7 role. Now Abby is used to working long shifts and coping with sleepless nights etc. but she has always been able to walk away, now that luxury has gone. 2. She has also been pretty protective of her lifestyle, and taken responsibility for things herself, now that is to be shared with Luka. How will that feel?
    3. If she has suffered in the birth, then she will need to recover herself before she can deal with the baby, which will mean she is doubly tired and sensitive.
    4. As she has worked in a delivery ward, she may well assume she knows a lot about caring for babies, but it is very different when it is your own. How will she feel, being less that 100% able to cope?
    5. What about her career? She will have to consider how she is going to juggle the two demands. We have heard nothing as yet regarding their plans for child care.
    6. What about her friends? Neela has just lost her husband and would nomally get plenty of Abby attention, this is will be difficult given the baby's arrival. How will she manage these differing demands on her time and energy.
    7 Family - we all know Abby's difficult relationship with her mother. Presumably that will also play out over the series. And we have to consider Luka's family too.

Ok, over to you. I know it is difficult to be entirely spoiler free, but you can speculate without revealing plots and actualities that you may know of.

SombraAlma

[4]Sep 4, 2006
    • level: 3
    A few more thoughts, from another Mom here (I have to agree with all that Linsey said, and since I'm spoiled I'll just pose some other questions/issues rather than say what I think will happen):

1. Her relationship with Luka will change. That's a given; when a baby is introduced into the mix, the relationship changes. And that's not something everyone always tells you. That can be pretty stressful - in a time of such major changes, you're looking for *something* to stay the same, and that something won't be your relationship with your SO. Not to say it changes for the worse, just that it changes. How will it change for L/A?
    2. Abby's never been one to be extremely confident in her own abilities - as a doctor, as a student - and we know she's got some anxiety over her abilities as a mother, too. ("Some people aren't meant to be mothers" and "What if I leave it in the supermarket?" etc.) How will all that play out? Will we see Abby in her typically proficient way, proving herself wrong as she seems to always do in work situations? Or will she flounder and prove herself right? A little of both, perhaps? She going to gain any confidence in this area or continue to doubt herself?
    3. PPD (post-partum depression) is a pretty popular topic these days in the media, and it's also a very real thing some new mothers deal with. More common is the less severe "baby blues" - how are TPTB going to handle this, if at all? Slam Abby with the worst of the worst, as they seem to like to do, or gloss over the issue and not go there at all?
    4. The living arrangement - as we left s12, Luka and Abby were still ambiguous as to where they're living full time, though they do seem to spend more time at Luka's apartment. But they've not "officially" moved in together or anything. How will this be resolved? At least we know there's one nursery set up/painted - did they truly get "two of everything" as they said they would on their shopping spree?

cindylynn23

[5]Sep 4, 2006
    • level: 9

linseyt67 wrote:
    Ok, as a Mum myself, and one who found it very tough first time around, perhaps I can raise a few thoughts... 1. It is a 24/7 role. Now Abby is used to working long shifts and coping with sleepless nights etc. but she has always been able to walk away, now that luxury has gone. 2. She has also been pretty protective of her lifestyle, and taken responsibility for things herself, now that is to be shared with Luka. How will that feel? 3. If she has suffered in the birth, then she will need to recover herself before she can deal with the baby, which will mean she is doubly tired and sensitive. 4. As she has worked in a delivery ward, she may well assume she knows a lot about caring for babies, but it is very different when it is your own. How will she feel, being less that 100% able to cope? 5. What about her career? She will have to consider how she is going to juggle the two demands. We have heard nothing as yet regarding their plans for child care. 6. What about her friends? Neela has just lost her husband and would nomally get plenty of Abby attention, this is will be difficult given the baby's arrival. How will she manage these differing demands on her time and energy. 7 Family - we all know Abby's difficult relationship with her mother. Presumably that will also play out over the series. And we have to consider Luka's family too. Ok, over to you. I know it is difficult to be entirely spoiler free, but you can speculate without revealing plots and actualities that you may know of.

I think that all of your points are dead on.  Given the traumatic nature that this delivery will most likely be, she's going to have alot less time to prepare for the baby and take care of herself.  As a mother, I know I needed all of the nine  and half months I was pregnant to try to prepare and I still wasn't really ready.  I do think that her experience as an OB nurse will enable her to identify any problems that she may have before it gets out of hand.  It just depends upon the direction TPTB wish to go in. 

As far as her career, I really think that it will be put on the back burner, at least until she knows her baby is 100% safe. 

linseyt67

[6]Sep 4, 2006

Thanks Cindylynn. It takes a Mum to know just how unprepared you are for the baby's arrival even when you have done everything possible to be ready!

At least Luka has built the cot! Assuming the baby is coming home anytime soon. Maybe that's how everything get's done, whilst he/she is recovering. I am not going to even think about it NOT being ok!

OpalRisa

[7]Sep 16, 2006
    • level: 17
    I'm also a Mama - to 3 year old twin girls. Talk about a life change! This will certainly turn Abby's world upside down, as it does to all first-time moms. But I think that Abby has spent so much time and energy anticipating the worst when it comes to motherhood (going all the way back to her marriage to Richard), hopefully she will be pleasantly surprised with the joy of it as well. At least one can hope. I think Abby is much stronger and more capable than she thinks.

linseyt67

[8]Oct 1, 2006

Well we have now had the first two episodes of Season 13. And they end with Abby at home with her baby - her mother leaving her, and Luka at the works do.

Thank goodness that the worst seems to be over, I think we have had enough of a rollercoaster not to want any more dramas with this child! I guess that as the expectation is that this series will not continue on for years and years - or at least not with GV and MT, then the issues of developmental problems can just be forgotten and we can enjoy them settling down as a family. Lets hope so!

I do think that Luka got left out of things by Abby having her mother with her. I think it was important that Abby laid to rest her ghosts about motherhood, and could see that although her mother had been less than perfect it wasn't for lack of love. As a Mum I also think that when you are suddenly in thi samazing position of responsibility it is wonderful to have your Mum there to take over some of the things you can't quite cope with. I am not suggesting that Luka wouldn't or couldn't have been supportive, just that your Mum knows you totally and you don't need to stand on any ceremony. Whereas with one's partner there are still unknowns and that makes it different.

I do hope that now it is just the nuclear family that we will see them getting closer and more in tune. I do not want to see the Corday/Greene parenting scenario - that was painful in the extreme for me.

OK, enough I need to get some work done. Do write your thoughts!

OpalRisa

[9]Oct 5, 2006
    I'm glad these threads are going again. I agree with you, Linsey, about Abby having her Mum around at first. It's so overwhelming when you first become a Mum, and there's nothing quite like your own Mum to help out and encourage you that you can do it!

I was thrilled beyond words to see Maggie so capable and supportive, even if it was in her own unique Maggie way. The last scene of GD, with Abby holding her own baby (something in earlier seasons I thought we'd never see) was priceless. Now that Maggie is off, I hope we see Abby and Luka turning to each other for support, and not turning away from one another. They both have a tendency to put up their defenses and shut each other out when things get tough. I guess we'll see how much they've grown together as a couple, and now as a family.

Agree with you on the Mark/Elizabeth thing. I always liked them together as a couple, but after Ella was born...Yikes! Those scenes were not pretty!

linseyt67

[10]Oct 7, 2006

I have just been playing with screencaps and this turned out rather well, so I thought I would put it here!

GlassFrog

[11]Oct 8, 2006
    • level: 2
    Awww...Joe, Mongo, BabyKovac, Lukaby, Lubylet. Now matter what he's called, he is the fictional baby that I love most

OpalRisa

[12]Oct 10, 2006
    That turned out really great Linsey! And there he is...waving to Mom as commanded. He is indeed a smart one!

viviclooney

[13]Aug 24, 2007
    • level: 3

I think, as a new season is right around the corner, we should focus how is Abby gonna cope with motherhood now that Luka would be in Croatia quite a long time. She'd be alone with a 1 year old baby, her last year as Resident and without her husband.

Any thoughts?

**Viviana**