Nathan Fillion

Forums: Nathan Fillion Board: General Nathan Discussion

angelandspike

[161]May 18, 2007
    • level: 66
    It works both ways for me. I've watched things because a particular actor I like is in them. Other things, I've watched because I was interested in the plot. There have been things I haven't watched with actors I like as well. However, Nathan's work is not among them. At this point, there's very little of his work that I've not seen. I would like to see the few things I haven't been able to see yet as well.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

SMGslayer97

[162]May 18, 2007
    • level: 34
    You know sometimes I wonder why he is having such a hard time breaking into the film world, I mean he's doing okay and everything but he hasn't had that one film yet that an actor/actress gets known for over night. That big one. It seems so odd because he's a great actor. I know sometimes it's just a matter of luck and like the right role but still it seems so odd that he hasn't found it yet.

angelandspike

[163]May 18, 2007
    I don't know. He's a bit of a risk really. I think the studios tend to go for someone they know will get people into the theatres. They do have some say in who gets cast in a film.

SMGslayer97

[164]May 19, 2007
    Well I get that but you always hear about actors and actress, sometimes totally unknown one's, getting cast toally out of the blue. I mean Nathan is not unknown but if you've never seen Firefly then you probably don't know him all that well, except if you've seen a movie of his. I know if it weren't for Firefly the only thing I would have known him from was Buffy. And I just feel like he's so on the verge of that big break but can't quite get there.

angelandspike

[165]May 19, 2007
    Most actors that seemed to be unknown and were cast in a lead role in a major motion picture, weren't just starting out in the business when they were cast. They'd had several smaller roles in things before being cast in the role that brought them so much attention. It really doesn't happen out of nowhere even though it might seem like it does.

When casting for a role, they don't really go on what the fans might have seen or not have seen. They go by the resume and what they know of the actor in the business.

SMGslayer97

[166]May 20, 2007
    Well when you think about it like that Nathan has a few things under his belt, it's not like he's just starting out either. He's got Firefly and a small handful of movies. It's just that I almost feel like he's going to miss his chance if it doesn't happen sooner. He's done some great stuff so far and obviously has a decent fan base but I always feel like some actors, like Nathan, never quite get the dues they deserve.

angelandspike

[167]May 20, 2007
    What I'm trying to say without having it sound like an insult or a criticism...because it's not...is that he hasn't done anything that's done well enough to get leading roles in major stuff and he's been in the business long enough that it's a factor when they choose to cast someone in a leading role.

SMGslayer97

[168]May 21, 2007
    Other then his dealings with FOX do you know of any other projects he's got in the works?

angelandspike

[169]May 21, 2007
    I don't believe he has anything else in the works at the moment. If so, I've not yet heard of it. I'm sure I will when he does. He has a 3 year holding deal with FOX, though. That means that they can stop him from working with anyone else if they chose to do so.

SMGslayer97

[170]May 22, 2007
    Wow. So that means he probably won't be doing anything else for awhile then, except of course whatever he attachs himself to with FOX. You think they were banking on Drive lasting that long when they signed him to that agreement?

angelandspike

[171]May 22, 2007
    I have no idea about any of that. I only know how a holding deal works. It's always possible that they would allow him to work for someone else if they don't have anything they want to cast him in when the something else comes around.

My honest opinion about Drive is that, by the time it came to actually producing it, they had lost interest in it. I knew it was going to get cancelled because all the signs were there before it even aired, but I watched it anyway.

SMGslayer97

[172]May 24, 2007
    Well am I remembering right that Drive was actually pitched long before it aired but wasn't picked up for some reason?

angelandspike

[173]May 25, 2007
    Sort of. Drive was picked up and cancelled twice. Then it was picked up a third time and that's when it was actually aired.

SMGslayer97

[174]May 25, 2007
    I thought I remembered something like that. That should have been a dead give away that the series wouldn't work.

angelandspike

[175]May 25, 2007
    It wasn't because they didn't drop it the first two times for that reason. They dropped it because of the cost. The third time, they asked Tim if he could do it for less. He said he could, so they greenlighted it.

SMGslayer97

[176]May 25, 2007
    angelandspike wrote:
    It wasn't because they didn't drop it the first two times for that reason. They dropped it because of the cost. The third time, they asked Tim if he could do it for less. He said he could, so they greenlighted it.

I've noticed that House is never really interested in putting up big bucks for any shows, even for there more established stuff. If you look at some of the big hits of the network Prison Break, House, Bones I doubt they have an these fantastical budgets. You would think they would be willing to shell it out for something that requires a big budget to fit the premise, like Drive for example.

angelandspike

[177]May 26, 2007
    It does seem that FOX isn't interested in producing things that cost them much. I agree that the dramas they have now aren't so expensive to produce. I would think that Bones and 24 are the two that cost the most. However, I'm sure Hugh Laurie does not come cheaply. Of course, House makes them a ton of money so they can afford to pay him whatever his price is.

SMGslayer97

[178]May 26, 2007
    That's true, I mean Hugh Laurie probably has a nice salary but FOX doesn't seem to have a problem paying actors considerable salaries. They just don't seem to want to invest overall in shows. I mean I guess I get it because sinking a lot of money into one or two shows is kind of putting all your eggs in one basket but you would think they would be a little looser with money after all they have some pretty successful shows, American Idol alone gets them a lot of viewers.

angelandspike

[179]May 27, 2007
    I think they only have 2 actors that they pay high salaries to at the moment. Hugh Laurie and Kiefer Sutherland.

It sort of gets me because they wouldn't have to pay Nathan what they pay those 2 yet they still couldn't get behind the show they put him in at all.

SMGslayer97

[180]May 27, 2007
    Well if you look at all of the shows on FOX none of them seem to really have super high costs to make, so it seems to be a trend. I mean they don't want to sink a lot of money into one show which is smart because should it fail then I could see where it would feel like a waste. But honestly I don't think Drive would have had a monstorous budget.